In charge of purchasing games for teens in a public library setting

zomburs

CAG Veteran
Hey all, looking for some advice or suggestions.

Currently Im getting ready to buy games for a public library for teen programming (teen gaming), we already have a wii and a ps2 and many games for both, but the kids dont seem so thrilled with those any longer. Im considering investing in a 360 or a ps3 and have 400-500 dollars for my gaming budget this year. What would you suggest.

*edit note: wow that was bad investing = much worse with typo lol

[quote name='zomburs']Hey all, looking for some advice or suggestions.

Currently Im getting ready to buy games for a public library for teen programming (teen gaming), we already have a wii and a ps2 and many games for both, but the kids dont seem so thrilled with those any longer. Im considering incesting in a 360 or a ps3 and have 400-500 dollars for my gaming budget this year. What would you suggest.[/QUOTE]
I have no suggestions, but PLEASE fix the bolded word. That's just a terrible misspelling :D

I wouldn't invest it's going to get jacked!!!! Also, if you totally ignore my previous comment it would help if you let us know. Age, area, preferences/restrictions, knowing all that might help.

You may want to invest that $500 budget into more games for the Wii and PS2.

Although the Xbox 360 has many great games (and is my favorite console), I would steer away from it because of its history of reliability issues. Buying a PS3 would be a safer choice, but they cost $299, so there goes over half your budget.

Not surprised they got tired of a PS2 and a Wii. You could try the New Super Mario Brothers for the Wii. It's a pretty side-scrolling Mario game with multiplayer features. Or Mario Party... but people get tired of that just as fast.

And I agree with Troopa. Buying a new system could be an issue if that's your budget. Especially with the cost of multiple controllers so they can play together. Although the 360 would probably be the best bet if you go for that. The 4gig is all you'll ever need. But you could go for an earlier model, but you'll run into that reliability issue with it more often.

You might want to try for a Rockband game. The disc itself is pretty cheap from various places, and you can probably find the instruments for less than 10 a pop from a Goodwill. I picked up the whole thing for 15.

hmm. with my $240 budget I managed to pick up:
Xbox 360 20GB Pro
4 wireless controllers
headset
Dante's Inferno (new)
Gears of War (used)
Gears of War 2 (used)
Assassin's Creed (used)
Assassin's Creed 2 (used)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (used)
Oblivion GOTY (used)
Fable 2 (new)
Fable 3 Limited Edition (new)
Timeshift (used)
Ghost Recon (used)
Virtual Fighter 5 (used)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (used)
007: Quantum of Solace (used)

bought all this for a bit under $240 last week from ebay,amazon,gamestop,etc. using coupons and promo codes etc.

If you can't really buy intense, violent M-rated games, make sure you buy enough of the "bad-ass enough" T-rated games. Seriously, nothings going to disappoint them more than seeing a stack of E rated games that are obviously "approved for public library usage so parents aren't calling and complaining about bad game language". You're more than likely going to get a bunch of "Where's Black Ops? Where's Halo: Reach?" I can't really too many specific games off hand that could still be deemed "cool", but try some of the T-rated stuff like Skate 3 which is pretty hip, or something like Forza 3.

If you are allowed to get M-rated games then disregard this post. Because I'm sure the library allows rentals of R-rated movies as well...

[quote name='zomburs']Hey all, looking for some advice or suggestions.

Currently Im getting ready to buy games for a public library for teen programming (teen gaming), we already have a wii and a ps2 and many games for both, but the kids dont seem so thrilled with those any longer. Im considering investing in a 360 or a ps3 and have 400-500 dollars for my gaming budget this year. What would you suggest.

*edit note: wow that was bad investing = much worse with typo lol[/QUOTE]

Try emailing the actualy game/hardware manufacturers. As long as you can prove what its for, etc there is the possibility of them sending you free games and possibly even free systems. It would probably me someone in marketing, PR, or Sales.

My anime club hosted an anime convention and the major studios would always send us free anime, posters, shirts, etc to be used as prizes and given out. It's free marketing for them and they can write off the cost of the items.

If it is a Libary program. It probaly has something to do with fostering creativity. I would say a ps3 and games like Little big planet 2.

For "creativity" - you could try EA Create on Wii. Not as technical and big as LittleBigPlanet, but it could be a good alternative.

And there are plenty of good games for Teens on Wii (opinions aside). What do you have available right now?

I would go with a PS3 with lot of fighting games because they are usually teen and allow a lot of people to play in a short time. If you go the 360 route I recommend the same thing except add Halo and Left 4 Dead in there too because they allow four people.

[quote name='X-zero']I would go with a PS3 with lot of fighting games because they are usually teen and allow a lot of people to play in a short time. If you go the 360 route I recommend the same thing except add Halo and Left 4 Dead in there too because they allow four people.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure he is not looking for games with tons of violence and gores. :p

It would really help if the op would give us more info to work on as stated from previous posters. We could help out more if we know their age, what type of games you are looking for (ie. learning, party, etc...) and how many kids are usually playing at one time.

Wow so many responses you guys are awesome. Ok so for some answers, all of the games have to be teen rated or less. 4 player games are awesome because we only have 2 possible stations(tv/projector) at this point and if we have 20+ kids waiting to play having a quick turn around time would be great.

The games that the kids like so far are like the naruto fighting game for the wii(4 players at a time) sometimes the play SSBB or Mario Kart, but never for very long.
Smack down vs raw and guitar hero are popular on the PS2. Sometimes theyll knock the dust off of Guitar hero as well.

My main concern about switch to xbox would be that the console + controls could easily be over 300 dollars and therefor the majority of my budget.

Like i said check with microsoft, sony, activision, etc. Just create a generic email and send it to all of them.

They have PR departments that work with organizations and they could probably help you out.

The kids are already tired with standbys like Super Smash Bros., New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart, all great for 4-player fun? Most of the ideas as posted by the other users are good ideas.

But if they desire much more games, they've got to learn to stick with what they've got, especially in this economy.

bread's done
Back