In N Out vs Tommys

Friggin Florida. No Tommy's, no In N Out, no White Castle (we something called Krystal, it's meh). There's a Johnny Rockets nearby, but I wasn't impressed. I haven't had a good burger in who knows how long...

[quote name='dmaul1114']Five Guys is pretty good if you have them around.

And Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger is great for more of a sit down burger joint. Red Robin is great as well, though pricier.[/quote]

5 Guys is probably my favorite chain that is near me. We also have a Red Robin but at $8 + a burger, they better be good (and they are).

We got a Fatburger courtesy of Pharrel from the Neptunes in my area and it sucked hard. Never went back.

Fat Mo's in Nashville is still my favorite burger place of all time. It is a small chain only in Nashville. Dirty as shit inside, but the burgers are phenomenal.

Never had a chance to try In-and-Out, but I sure want to.

bam!!

303808181_24829f337b.jpg

you guys from SoCal who are in this thread and never ate at Tommys...

let me tell you... today is thrusday and the weekend is coming up.

with that said, PLEASE take the time out of your day to go to Tommys and have lunch or dinner there!!

bring your friends, kids, spouse, parents, special somebody, whatever... make a trip out of it!!

there are only 3 ways you can not like the food there:

1. you dont like chili. Chili is the Tommy staple, chili burgers, dogs, tamale, fries, breakfast, etc. If you dont like chili there's nothing you can do...

2. you dont like grease. The chili is heavy and brings a significant grease factor with it.

3. you're an asshole. If you are then eat dick, lol.

As long as you do not fall into one of those 3 categories then I really hope you enjoy some new food this weekend,

I guarantee that if you do you're gonna come back to this thread, hit the reply button, and do nothing but express your gratitude for somebody bringing this food to your attention.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I've never been to either (as I've never even seen a single one), but I can safely say that White Castle would destroy them.[/QUOTE]

sigh...... You have much to learn my apprentice.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']It's an easy decision. There is nothing better than a sack of fresh White Castle cheeseburgers. Not a single god damn thing.[/QUOTE]easy decision???

EASY DECISION?!?!?!

mothersucker I decide I got a clenched fist an easy half inch away from your face

White Castle, better than Tommy's or In n Out?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... gasp... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

AS IF, NINJA!!!

White Castle is SHIT ON A SHINGLE compared to Tommy's or In n Out. If you've ever had White Castle, and yes, I have, on various trips to the East Coast as well as the one, ONE that exists halfway up the coast of Cali near Monterey, and it may be OKAY to eat, if there's nothing remotely edible within a 100 mile radius, but to even think it compares to Tommy's or In n Out? Ninja, please!

Everyone who visits from out of town insists on hitting In n Out at the very least, when in town.

As for the choice of Tommy's versus In n Out...well, damn. I love both sooooo much, you just...can't...choose...a...winner. It's like comparing apples and oranges, really it is.

One makes the best fast food cheeseburger and milkshakes you will ever experience, and the other, the best chiliburgers, chili fries, and chili tamales. Not to mention those perfect hot chili peppers.

The original Tommy's on Rampart/Beverly is definitely a requirement of living in LA, at least once in your lifetime, but the Eagle Rock one I mainly grew up on is excellent as well. Hell, I've never had a bad Tommy's, but make sure it's a genuine, legitimate one as there are MANY imitators - "Famous Tomy's", Tomas, Thoma's, all kinds of fakers.

In n Out, they are all amazing.

And whoever mentioned the Hat - man, we're not discussing their amazing Hot Pastrami, which is really the only thing to order when you go there. I don't care if they have burgers, chili, etc., it's all about their pastrami. Too bad they are all located inland, not a single one near the west side or LA proper.

Bakers - what the eff is that?

[quote name='JEKKI']
303808181_24829f337b.jpg

[/quote]

This picture proves again why Tommy's rules. In N Out doesn't give out those two beautiful peppers when you order your burger. Those chili's are the icing to this meal.
Thanks JEKKI for the pic. Can't wait till I go to Cali next month.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I've never been to either (as I've never even seen a single one), but I can safely say that White Castle would destroy them.[/quote]

The only thing White Castle will destroy is your colon when they slide right through you.

[quote name='FrankMcCutcheon']anyone been to fat burger?

http://www.fatburger.com/menu/[/quote]

Yeah I've been to a few Fatbugers. Fat, Tommy's, & In N Out are a close 1,2,3 in my book.
Fat w/ cheese & egg is my poision

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I've never been to either (as I've never even seen a single one), but I can safely say that White Castle would destroy them.[/quote]

The only thing White Castle will destroy is your colon when they slide right through you.

[quote name='JEKKI']bam!!

303808181_24829f337b.jpg

you guys from SoCal who are in this thread and never ate at Tommys...

let me tell you... today is thrusday and the weekend is coming up.

with that said, PLEASE take the time out of your day to go to Tommys and have lunch or dinner there!!

bring your friends, kids, spouse, parents, special somebody, whatever... make a trip out of it!!

there are only 3 ways you can not like the food there:

1. you dont like chili. Chili is the Tommy staple, chili burgers, dogs, tamale, fries, breakfast, etc. If you dont like chili there's nothing you can do...

2. you dont like grease. The chili is heavy and brings a significant grease factor with it.

3. you're an asshole. If you are then eat dick, lol.

As long as you do not fall into one of those 3 categories then I really hope you enjoy some new food this weekend,

I guarantee that if you do you're gonna come back to this thread, hit the reply button, and do nothing but express your gratitude for somebody bringing this food to your attention.[/quote]

I'll Tommy's, but just not that often. Heart burn...what can I say.

This is just weak and lame.

I would marry In-N-Out but have torrid love affairs with Tommy's.

In-N-Out is clean and simple, they pay their employees well, use fresh locally sourced beef, humane treatment of animals, blah blah blah. The burger is straight and to the point. I don't even get fries, I get two burgers like a real man.

But then sometimes you get the hankering for that super slutty Tommy's burger dripping with chili and cheese. You know it's bad for you, you know something can't possibly be right, and you know there's better out there, but damned if it doesn't taste good.

OT, since we're on the topic of burgers, I had this one recently. Clipped from my journal.
The first one was The Original Tops in Pasadena. I had heard all sorts of good things about their Kobe Bistro Burger, some even saying it's the best burger in LA.

burger1.jpg

Half a pound of American Kobe beef, topped with caramelized onions, mozzarella, herbed mayonnaise served on a ciabatta bun. At a price of around $7 after tax, it made for a pretty good deal. Mine came out with a few random hot spots of ground pepper, but I still thought it was great. The mozzarella, onions, and mayo combined for a really unique flavor that I can't quite put in words. I couldn't really taste the "Kobe"-ness of the burger though, and although I thought it was pretty good I can't really recommend driving out just to try it. And I know I'm a clumsy eater but I did think this burger was a little bit hard to handle, since they slathered so much mayo on that it was dripping in all it's gooey goodness.
I'm no authority on burgers in LA, but I did have a nagging feeling that this isn't the best one here. But it's still pretty damn good.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I'll Tommy's, but just not that often. Heart burn...what can I say.
[/QUOTE]

That's my problem with most of these fast food places. They're damn good but I have to stay clear of them most of the time from heart burn and acid reflux from the grease.

I'm generally ok at a Red Robin or Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger type of place. But the five guys, In and Outs etc. are greasier and usually wreck havok on me.

I have never heard of Tommys but if they are being compared to In N Out I now want one.

My rankings (not including independents and only including places with a kick-ass burger)
5 Guys
In N Out
Steak N Shake

(Haven't had Whataburger)

There is an In-N-Out and Tommys within a minute from eachother Here on Topanga Canyon in the valley. Most times I pick In-N-Out, but I really like the fries at tommys.

one more Hijack, another great burgrer chain I really like,

The Habit

http://www.habitburger.com/

again VERY fresh but also very basic and thus lacking much taste at all...

they have peppers and shyt on the side u can add for more flavor

but they also got special styles they can make the burger in (like with teriyaki or BBQ sauce)

and they also got chicken patties and albacore patties! Albacore is delicious!!

I usually get the basic charburger with cheese, bacon, and avacado... it's so good!!

[quote name='JEKKI']one more Hijack, another great burgrer chain I really like,

The Habit

but they also got special styles they can make the burger in (like with teriyaki or BBQ sauce)

I usually get the basic charburger with cheese, bacon, and avacado... it's so good!![/QUOTE]

I went there a few times during my college days. They are decent burgers, and step above the local Troy's, Tom's, and other places.

How about Hot Dogs?Pink's? Drooool.

[quote name='JEKKI']one more Hijack, another great burgrer chain I really like,

The Habit

I usually get the basic charburger with cheese, bacon, and avacado... it's so good!![/quote]

If we're now talking about local places, then I'd have to say the one burger joint at Seaport Village...their burgers are absolutely delicious and somewhat monstrous. Giant burgers which you have to top with Avocado, cheese, and ranch. Mmm...I used to get those all the time when I was in San Diego. I make a point to stop there at least once. Slightly expensive, but oh so worth it.

In-N-Out is much better than Tommy's to me. I'm admittedly not big on chili burgers --I love burgers and I love chili but not so much together-- but it's also because I find that Tommy's can be inconsistent. The original location isn't guilty of this but the other ones seem to vary a lot in their quality from visit to visit. Whereas I've probably had 800 Double-Doubles at 20 different In-N-Outs and they've all been great.

When it comes to fries though, In-N-Out is actually one of the worst ever. All those claims about fresh-cut fries mean nothing when they have such bland flavor and mediocre texture.

whatever this tommy's crap is, forget it, in-n-out takes it, eventhough ive never even had tommy's

[quote name='rapsodist']In-N-Out is much better than Tommy's to me. I'm admittedly not big on chili burgers --I love burgers and I love chili but not so much together-- but it's also because I find that Tommy's can be inconsistent. The original location isn't guilty of this but the other ones seem to vary a lot in their quality from visit to visit. Whereas I've probably had 800 Double-Doubles at 20 different In-N-Outs and they've all been great.
[/QUOTE]

you do also notice that every single in-n-out is built exactly the same, inside and out (with the exception of a lacking drive-thru here and there)

[quote name='rapsodist']In-N-Out is much better than Tommy's to me. I'm admittedly not big on chili burgers --I love burgers and I love chili but not so much together-- but it's also because I find that Tommy's can be inconsistent. The original location isn't guilty of this but the other ones seem to vary a lot in their quality from visit to visit. Whereas I've probably had 800 Double-Doubles at 20 different In-N-Outs and they've all been great.

When it comes to fries though, In-N-Out is actually one of the worst ever. All those claims about fresh-cut fries mean nothing when they have such bland flavor and mediocre texture.[/quote]

Try them well-done. It basically makes them crispier and taste better.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Try them well-done. It basically makes them crispier and taste better.[/quote]

Yeah, I've tried that at the suggestion of my friend who worked there. It helped but not enough to jump any higher in the rankings. But I'm pretty picky about my fries. I usually go to independents for those.

My personal favorite fries are from Lucky Boy in Pasadena, CA. Perfectly salted everytime I've been there and the texture is superb with a light golden crisp exterior and a white fluffy interior. Daglas in Canoga Park, CA gets an honorable mention if only for the fact that for a couple bucks you can get a lunch-size brown bag stuffed full of seasoned fries.

[quote name='rapsodist']Yeah, I've tried that at the suggestion of my friend who worked there. It helped but not enough to jump any higher in the rankings. But I'm pretty picky about my fries. I usually go to independents for those.

My personal favorite fries are from Lucky Boy in Pasadena, CA. Perfectly salted everytime I've been there and the texture is superb with a light golden crisp exterior and a white fluffy interior. Daglas in Canoga Park, CA gets an honorable mention if only for the fact that for a couple bucks you can get a lunch-size brown bag stuffed full of seasoned fries.[/quote]

I haven't been to Pasadena in forever. I should drive out there sometime and try that place.

[quote name='Murcielago77']whatever this tommy's crap is, forget it, in-n-out takes it, eventhough ive never even had tommy's

you do also notice that every single in-n-out is built exactly the same, inside and out (with the exception of a lacking drive-thru here and there)[/quote]

But only to the point that any chain restaurant or store looks the same. I've actually seen In-N-Outs that have diverged quite a bit in terms of seating layout. There's a nice one in Irvine, if my memory serves me correctly, that uses indoor planters and counter seating.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']If we're now talking about local places, then I'd have to say the one burger joint at Seaport Village...their burgers are absolutely delicious and somewhat monstrous. Giant burgers which you have to top with Avocado, cheese, and ranch. Mmm...I used to get those all the time when I was in San Diego. I make a point to stop there at least once. Slightly expensive, but oh so worth it.[/QUOTE]Habit is a chain dood, a SoCal one so it's not exactly a local joint,

but now I wanna eat at the place you are talking about too!!!

regarding hot dogs, Pinks, hands down. Chili dog with bacon omg...

actually the chili dogs at Tommys are also highly delicious,

and bacon wrapped dogs on the streets of anywhere never let you down!!

when I think off the top of my head, I'd say there are three foods that california owns that the rest of the country jus cant f**k with:

burgers

hot dogs

and mexican food

a part of me also wants to include pho in that list since we got Little Saigon,

but pho is such a simple dish and I'm sure there's a lot of vietnamese communities in other states that can make a comparable bowl

Tommy's chiliburgers give you the nastiest shits in the world, so i would eat in n out. But i am pretty sick on them too.

[quote name='JEKKI']Habit is a chain dood, a SoCal one so it's not exactly a local joint,

when I think off the top of my head, I'd say there are three foods that california owns that the rest of the country jus cant f**k with:

burgers

hot dogs

and mexican food

but pho is such a simple dish and I'm sure there's a lot of vietnamese communities in other states that can make a comparable bowl[/quote]

Hmmm...never seen a Habit. Maybe I just past by them without knowing. Anyway, one of the perks of Vegas is that most of the restaurants from LA/Cali that I remember/ate at cross over. We even have a Pink's here (inside the Hard Rock). Also, our Mexican food rocks here, though I do have to give LA the slight edge in that department. So you know about that one little hamburger place down by Seaport village by the Hyatt? That place is the shit. Love going there during comic-con.

[quote name='rapsodist']But only to the point that any chain restaurant or store looks the same. I've actually seen In-N-Outs that have diverged quite a bit in terms of seating layout. There's a nice one in Irvine, if my memory serves me correctly, that uses indoor planters and counter seating.[/quote]

I've actually been to that In-N-Out in Irvine....it's right by the freeway near the UC Irvine school/hospital if I'm thinking of the one you're thinking of. Also, you guys haven't seen the glitzy one we have set out here. It's really nice, and if I remember right, the busiest In-N-Out in the country. They've actually had to increase the drive thru length twice.:lol:

When it comes to fries though, In-N-Out is actually one of the worst ever. All those claims about fresh-cut fries mean nothing when they have such bland flavor and mediocre texture.[/QUOTE]

That's odd. I have the exact opposite view on Tommy's. I find their food very consistent, and can' t think of one time that I felt the food tasted off.

You're right, the In-N-Out fries are highly praised yet very bland. That's why you have to get them animal style.

Damn. I need a tasty burger now.

[quote name='JEKKI']Habit is a chain dood, a SoCal one so it's not exactly a local joint,

burgers

hot dogs

and mexican food

but pho is such a simple dish and I'm sure there's a lot of vietnamese communities in other states that can make a comparable bowl[/quote]
burgers yes
I have yet to try father's office in santa monica (and soon culver city) that supposedly has the best gourmet burger in the US.
hot dogs no. pink's is overrated. definitely an experience but most people i know would rather not wait that long for their food, and i never thought it was mindblowingly good. just fun. i have yet to try a coney island dog or gray's papaya in NY, or even an authentic chicago hot dog but they're probably just as good

and pho is not that simple
you gotta prepare that a day or two in advance, kinda like ramen

[quote name='kainzero']hot dogs no. pink's is overrated. definitely an experience but most people i know would rather not wait that long for their food, and i never thought it was mindblowingly good. just fun. i have yet to try a coney island dog or gray's papaya in NY, or even an authentic chicago hot dog but they're probably just as good

and pho is not that simple
you gotta prepare that a day or two in advance, kinda like ramen[/QUOTE]comon mang.. dont dismiss hot dogs without the proper experience...

I've tried coneys, they're great but what I've eaten here is just as good. Again, I'm not comparing on a one-to-one basis... there's HELLA hot dog places here in cali. There was one place in Reseda I forgot the name but it's a little shack on the road and for a random azz place it was way too good!!

never tried a chicago dog but it's just a hot dog with a bunch of veggies on it, cant be too hard to come close at least.

and time consumption making pho doesnt make it complex... it's jus simmering beef bones n shyt for a day, anybody can do it. Food is science and art regardless so even the things I cook in an hour have a particular process to go thru to make it delicious.

[quote name='JEKKI']comon mang.. dont dismiss hot dogs without the proper experience...

I've tried coneys, they're great but what I've eaten here is just as good. Again, I'm not comparing on a one-to-one basis... there's HELLA hot dog places here in cali. There was one place in Reseda I forgot the name but it's a little shack on the road and for a random azz place it was way too good!!

never tried a chicago dog but it's just a hot dog with a bunch of veggies on it, cant be too hard to come close at least.

and time consumption making pho doesnt make it complex... it's jus simmering beef bones n shyt for a day, anybody can do it. Food is science and art regardless so even the things I cook in an hour have a particular process to go thru to make it delicious.[/quote]
"Just as good" doesn't mean "no one fucks with cali", son
and if there's no one-to-one basis then i ain't never had a hot dog that made me think it couldn't be topped.

i think there's more to pho broth than simmering bones it for a day
i don't know much about pho but i do know that ramen chefs train for at least 2 years learning how to make broth and i know that isn't just soaking pork bones in a day

anyway dude
we gotta hit up father's office one of these days.
best burger in USA?
you know we gotta check it out.

[quote name='chi.bri']
Bakers is the golden gem in the IE. I use to get a pack of hot sauce and ketchup, mix the two and use it as a dipping sauce for the fry's. Good shit.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Baker's menion took me back. Back in the late 90's you could get a Baby Baker- Small Hamburger, fries and soda for $1.00-$1.25. I would get two after a long night of drinking, and they would hit the spot. I don't think I ever ate their food sober!

bread's done
Back