In the market for a new car.

I like Hondas myself. Very reliable.

As for getting rid of your current car. Take it to a Carmaxx if you have one in your area. They give your car a look over and then issue you a dollar offer for it (or I guess flat out decline to buy it) which you have so many days to accept or not. For us it was much much better than a dealer would give in trade.

From the reports I've read gas would have to hit $5 a gallon or something like that before the highter up front cost of a hybrid would be offset by the gas cost savings.

[quote name='MSI Magus']We havnt gone yet but my mom showed me on their site(she has gone through this processe before)that they expect 10% cash down.[/quote]
well then you should definitely go into your credit union and talk to them first. you will never know as credit unions are more than likely to work with you.

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what I think too. People live in America buy American merchendise. Help the American businesses. You know what I find weird, no offense to anybody, when an asian person lives in the United States, and drives a Japanese car. Its cool though, I guess its something to remember their homeland. Then I think if they miss it why not go back, no big deal i guess.[/quote]

i drive what is reliable. but by your logic, you shouldn't play ps2 or buy any japanese developed games too right? you should only buy ea and microsoft games.

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what I think too. People live in America buy American merchendise. Help the American businesses. You know what I find weird, no offense to anybody, when an asian person lives in the United States, and drives a Japanese car. Its cool though, I guess its something to remember their homeland. Then I think if they miss it why not go back, no big deal i guess.[/QUOTE]

Supporting Americans when they put out shitty products just makes things worse. It's like buying a bad liscensed video game...they will just keep putting out more shit because people are buying it anyways. When Americans start putting out good products ill support those, in the meantime ill buy whats reliable and maybe Ford and other companies will realize its time to make a better product.

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what I think too. People live in America buy American merchendise. Help the American businesses. You know what I find weird, no offense to anybody, when an asian person lives in the United States, and drives a Japanese car. Its cool though, I guess its something to remember their homeland. Then I think if they miss it why not go back, no big deal i guess.[/QUOTE]I know driving my Toyota brings back fond memories of my rickshaw (that had great mileage too!). :roll:

[quote name='MSI Magus']Supporting Americans when they put out shitty products just makes things worse. It's like buying a bad liscensed video game...they will just keep putting out more shit because people are buying it anyways. When Americans start putting out good products ill support those, in the meantime ill buy whats reliable and maybe Ford and other companies will realize its time to make a better product.[/QUOTE]
Well, like I said, it's really a crap shoot with cars. You could end up with a lemon import (like the post on the first page about the Toyota that burned up). You could end up with a Ford that never needs repairs. No guarantees with foreign vs. domestic. Domestics have made huge leaps in quality over the past 10 years, but there will probably always be the stereotype that they are junk. Heck, when the Honda Accord first came to the US it was one of the biggest pieces of garbage on the road. Any company can improve their product if they are willing to make the investment. Look at Hyundai and Kia as recent examples, they used to be junk cars too.

Also, keep in mind not everyone puts reliability as their #1 priority. Some people might put other aspects ahead of reliability, such as safety, performance, comfort, status, price, etc. If I had the money to buy a Dodge Viper, I probably wouldn't give much thought to reliability.

[quote name='redline']Well, like I said, it's really a crap shoot with cars. You could end up with a lemon import (like the post on the first page about the Toyota that burned up). You could end up with a Ford that never needs repairs. No guarantees with foreign vs. domestic. Domestics have made huge leaps in quality over the past 10 years, but there will probably always be the stereotype that they are junk. Heck, when the Honda Accord first came to the US it was one of the biggest pieces of garbage on the road. Any company can improve their product if they are willing to make the investment. Look at Hyundai and Kia as recent examples, they used to be junk cars too.

Also, keep in mind not everyone puts reliability as their #1 priority. Some people might put other aspects ahead of reliability, such as safety, performance, comfort, status, price, etc. If I had the money to buy a Dodge Viper, I probably wouldn't give much thought to reliability.[/QUOTE]

While there is no gurantee it is obvious that the Japanese and Korean are building much better quality cars. Every American car my family has owned we have had problems with while the Japanese ones have been fine. At school when I was talking to friends about buying a new car one guy said the exact same thing....he had drove American cars his whole life till he bought a Japanese one. Now he buys nothing but Japanese cars and hasnt had a problem.

You can try the buy American thing all you want and its all a crap shoot. But the truth is....Americans just arnt doing things right anymore. We outsource our work for cheap labor and parts and its showing. So again I ask, why should I buy American products which are clearly inferior to support rich white men who are costing us jobs?

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what I think too. People live in America buy American merchendise. Help the American businesses. You know what I find weird, no offense to anybody, when an asian person lives in the United States, and drives a Japanese car. Its cool though, I guess its something to remember their homeland. Then I think if they miss it why not go back, no big deal i guess.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with this thinking is that the line between American and foreign cars is beyond blurred, as becoming close to non-existant.

Before my current car, I had a Dodge Stratus. It was built in Canada and Dodge is owned by Daimler, a German company.

I now own a Mazda 6 - it was built in Flint, Michigan and Mazda is owned by Ford.

I actually consider the Mazda to be more of an American car than the Dodge, as it was built by American workers and, although it's historically a Japanese brand, it's owned by an American company.

So the brand doesn't have as much to do with whether a car is domestic or imported as it used to.

[quote name='megashock5']The only problem with this thinking is that the line between American and foreign cars is beyond blurred, as becoming close to non-existant.

Before my current car, I had a Dodge Stratus. It was built in Canada and Dodge is owned by Daimler, a German company.

I now own a Mazda 6 - it was built in Flint, Michigan and Mazda is owned by Ford.

I actually consider the Mazda to be more of an American car than the Dodge, as it was built by American workers and, although it's historically a Japanese brand, it's owned by an American company.

So the brand doesn't have as much to do with whether a car is domestic or imported as it used to.[/quote]
funny thing is mazda > dodge. does that mean that americans > canadians? woohoo! :bouncy:

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what I think too. People live in America buy American merchendise. Help the American businesses. You know what I find weird, no offense to anybody, when an asian person lives in the United States, and drives a Japanese car. Its cool though, I guess its something to remember their homeland. Then I think if they miss it why not go back, no big deal i guess.[/quote]

:lol:

riiiiiiiiiiight... b/c chinese people love to be reminded of their japanese homeland when they're driving their toyota's! LMAO @ the ridiculous post!

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']:lol:

riiiiiiiiiiight... b/c chinese people love to be reminded of their japanese homeland when they're driving their toyota's! LMAO @ the ridiculous post![/quote]

I meant a Japanese person. How the fudge can Japan be a Chinese persons homeland? LMAO @ a ridiculous post!

OFF TOPIC: Have you guys seen Scarface, "How the fuck can I get this from eating p****."

[quote name='D_Icon']I meant a Japanese person. How the fudge can Japan be a Chinese persons homeland? Unless I Chinese person was born in Japan. LMAO @ a ridiculous post![/QUOTE]Your comment is still ridiculous even if you meant Japanese people.

I'm gonna thread jack for a second.

Does anyone here have any experience with VWs, specifically VW Passats?
I'm looking at this car, what do you guys think?

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Your comment is still ridiculous even if you meant Japanese people.[/quote]

I see what you mean. People should have the right to boycott any American made merchandise if they want. It just seems like a slap in the face.

I heard in 2001 VW moved production of some of their cars to Mexico, and consequently quality declined exponentially. Don't know if they've acknowleged or remedied the problem though.

American car quality is supposed to be on the rise. I remember reading an article not too long ago off of MSN where they mention that GM and Ford have gotten much better at producing quality cars and that a big part of their problem is their prior reputation.

[quote name='jPoD']All I know is the new Passat is GORGEOUS.[/QUOTE]

it really is. my cousin's bf bought one and its a hell of a change compared to last gens model. that car is worth buying.

My choices were: 1) Infinti G35x 2) Pontiac Solstice 3) VW Passat

I wouldve actually gotten the Passat if it came out earlier. :/
Black New Passat=Yum.

bread's done
Back