In theory wouldn't it be better to buy all your gaming systems from Costco?

3kingdoms

CAGiversary!
I understand they don't always offer the best gaming deals but they offer something that most stores don't. A zero hassle return policy. Case and point this girl I knew had a white xbox for two years but then the slim version came out she exchanged her two year xbox for the slim. No questions asked. I don't know if their return policies have changed but I know they are pretty good on exchanging merchandise.

Thoughts. Comments or Feedback?

[quote name='3kingdoms']I understand they don't always offer the best gaming deals but they offer something that most stores don't. A zero hassle return policy. Case and point this girl I knew had a white xbox for two years but then the slim version came out she exchanged her two year xbox for the slim. No questions asked. I don't know if their return policies have changed but I know they are pretty good on exchanging merchandise.

Thoughts. Comments or Feedback?[/QUOTE]

I love shopping at Costco but here are my two concerns. 1) They have changed their return policy when it comes to electronics. 2) They only sell bundles at launch. Outside of that, they are great.

Electronics are only 90 days now, I think, so it doesn't really matter where you buy it. I would just go for the cheapest price you can find and Sams or Costco usually aren't the cheapest. If you have a problem you will have to fall back on the Microsoft 1 year warranty unless you get additional coverage.

I'm surprised they kept something that exploitable for that long. I can imagine that a vast majority of people probably abused that policy for the longest time.

I do wish there was a Costco near us though. Every now and then, they get some pretty sweet exclusive Transformers.

As someone who works at Sam's Club (which has been piggybackin Costco's return policies forever), yes, they abused the shit outta it back in the day.

[quote name='SaraAB']Electronics are only 90 days now, I think, so it doesn't really matter where you buy it. I would just go for the cheapest price you can find and Sams or Costco usually aren't the cheapest. If you have a problem you will have to fall back on the Microsoft 1 year warranty unless you get additional coverage.[/QUOTE]

Unless they changed it recently, the 90 days only applies to certain electronics like MP3 players, computers, TV's and 1 or 2 other items.

edit, I looked it up, game consoles don't apply to the 90 day return policy:
"Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones."

When I purchased my Xbox 360 at Costco years ago they told me that I can return it anytime I would like and that there was no date limit on the product (lifetime warranty). The console eventually shitted out two years later and they gave me a very difficult time returning it but after persistently arguing with them for a few minutes they eventually gave me a full refund.

[quote name='Rozz']When I purchased my Xbox 360 at Costco years ago they told me that I can return it anytime I would like and that there was no date limit on the product (lifetime warranty). The console eventually shitted out two years later and they gave me a very difficult time returning it but after persistently arguing with them for a few minutes they eventually gave me a full refund.[/QUOTE]I had the same issue when I had two systems crap out within a year of one another. The first time, it wasn't an issue, they returned the dead system and gave me a cash card for the purchase price + tax. Bought the replacement system and all was good.

Second time around, they weren't nearly as friendly about it, though they still did it. This time, they gave me the cash back for the purchase as their cash card system was offline. I ended up going to Best Buy and bought one with a promotion they had on the system at the time. I put a MS extended warranty on it, as well as on my COD MW2 Super Elite I picked up two years ago and never looked back.

Sam's had this policy when I bought a lot of my electronics. I had a TV that I bought with an extented warranty for a total of $572. The TV started not turning off. I had to pull the plug. I contacted the warranty company, and they sent me a box. When I bought the plan I understood it to be an in home service for TVs.

I read online about the old 100% satisfaction guarantee, so I figured I would see if I was grand-fathered in. I took the TV back with the receipt, and after a call to a manager I was told they would do it as a one time thing.

Then I asked to have the warranty refunded because of not doing the in home service and the cashier said, "in home service doesn't mean that they can bring all their tools and stuff to your house to fix it". I wanted to respond, but I figured I was already getting my $572 back, so I just laughed inside.

Since my sister's iPod Touch wouldn't connect online, and ditto my computer (the technician insisted it was a software problem, then couldn't understand my refusal to give a credit card to be charged to not fix the non existent software problem), I'd say no. Apparently, Costco sells merchandise that cannot connect online. Sure, they'll take it back, but why waste time and money on them?

bread's done
Back