In this topic, we discuss Asian action movies!!

I liked Versus. It's slow paced but the film is fun if you get past the first 20 minutes. Basically the movie is Zombie With Guns.

Im pretty simple. Most of the stuff by Andy Lau im a huge a fan of. Ekin Cheng comes in a close second.

stevemcq-
Some i remember and i have on dvd that resemble king of comedy are
God of gamblers 2-3
King of Beggars
God of Cookery
Tricky Master
Fight back to school 1-3

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Speaking of, are there any recommendations out there for those kind of movies? I absolutely loved Shaolin Soccer. And any news on these titles releasing on HD or BD? I'm guessing not, since they're smaller studios, but I haven't been following.[/quote]

Just as the other posters said, you can't go wrong with any older Stephen Chow movies.

My favs ( in no particular order)are:
God of Cookery - best Chow movie so far imo

Fight back to school series 1,2,3 - Just like all those undercover 80s cop goes back to school movies we got, only these are actually good.

Royal Tramp 1,2 - great period comedy

A Chinese Odyssey 1,2- the monkey king story

From Beijing with Love- incredibly funny james bond story. better then austin powers imo.

Forbidden City Cop- james bond in a period movie

If you go too far back in his career, you get into his drama stuff, which while good, isnt as enjoyable as his comedy.

Yesterday I watched Sex is Weapon and Volcano High from the mention of them in this thread. Both were decent. Sex is Weapon was surprisingly funnier than I expected. Volcano High was also over the top. I didn't like the wire-fu that much but was still entertaining.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Speaking of, are there any recommendations out there for those kind of movies? I absolutely loved Shaolin Soccer. And any news on these titles releasing on HD or BD? I'm guessing not, since they're smaller studios, but I haven't been following.[/QUOTE]

Kung Fu Hustle is out on BD now - no idea how the transfer is tho.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Just as the other posters said, you can't go wrong with any older Stephen Chow movies.

My favs ( in no particular order)are:
God of Cookery - best Chow movie so far imo

Fight back to school series 1,2,3 - Just like all those undercover 80s cop goes back to school movies we got, only these are actually good.

Royal Tramp 1,2 - great period comedy

A Chinese Odyssey 1,2- the monkey king story

From Beijing with Love- incredibly funny james bond story. better then austin powers imo.

Forbidden City Cop- james bond in a period movie

If you go too far back in his career, you get into his drama stuff, which while good, isnt as enjoyable as his comedy.[/QUOTE]

I'm about to add most of these to my Netflix queue. ;) BTW, did you not like King of Comedy? I thought the John Woo parodies were priceless.

EDIT: Not only does Netflix not have God of Cookery, I can't even find it for sale anywhere. :whistle2:(

[quote name='argyle']Kung Fu Hustle is out on BD now - no idea how the transfer is tho.

I'm about to add most of these to my Netflix queue. ;) BTW, did you not like King of Comedy? I thought the John Woo parodies were priceless.

EDIT: Not only does Netflix not have God of Cookery, I can't even find it for sale anywhere. :whistle2:([/quote]

I liked it but I found it one of his average movies. Lots of laugh out loud stuff but not wee your pants funny like the stuff I mentioned is. It's still quality -but kind of in the dry spell in his movie career imo. I would rate the stuff I reco'd high, king of comedy in the top end of the other stuff.

I would seriously search out god of cookery. If you like stephen chow, iron chef, shaolin monks/training, and the kind of movies where a guy redeems himself and pulls himself back to the top by his mad leet skillz - then this movie is for you ;P Worth buying if that's the only way you can find it.

Edit: wow your right, it looks like the dvd is out of print. Thats crazy! You can still grab the vcd version from pokerindustries for a fiver. I seriously cant believe one of his most popular movies isn't on a permanent issue list or something. Maybe they are going to issue a remaster or something soon.

Another great movie to add to the list is Protégé aka Moon To.

Quoted from Wiki:
Undercover officer Nick (Daniel Wu) had spent the last seven years penetrating into the core of a drug ring working his way up from a street dealer post to the managerial position handling cargo deliveries for Jong (Andy Lau) - the biggest player in the local heroin market. When the ailing Jong makes Nick his protégé, Nick could not but sway before money and power and starts to perform his role like a real drug trafficker. This, together with his affair with heroin-addict Jane (Zhang Jingchu), causes Nick to becomes more and more confused about his true identity, and eventually leads to a disastrous end.
Based on materials provided by retired undercover agents of the police force, "Protégé" attempts to realistically tell the story of undercover agents in the clandestine drug world, who struggle to constantly walk on the fine line between justice and crime, but who will never see the day of serving in the regular police force.
It's not all action, but there's enough intensity to justify it as one.

I also say SPL is an awesome action movie, and with an unexpected ending. That was actually the first asian action movie I saw, and started me on my "journey" through many asian films :p

My Wife is A Gangster 3 - Pretty funny and action packed movie featuring Shu Qi
Any Stephen Chow Movie with my favs being Flirting Scholar and Shaolin Soccer

My favorite Stephen Chow movie is probably fight back to school. I think that is the name of the movie... where he is going undercover as a student.

Edit: I guess that is the name. ;P Thanks noodle pirate.

Some of my favorites:
Battlefield Baseball
Dead or Alive
Ichi the Killer
Fudoh
Fist of Legend (best Jet Li film ever)
Almost anything John Woo did overseas, particularly The Killer and Hard Boiled. I know they're the typical Woo picks, but damn if they ain't amazing.

[quote name='jaso']Some of my favorites:

Fist of Legend (best Jet Li film ever)
[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd pick the "Once Upon a Time in China" movies as Jet Li's best work.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Personally, I'd pick the "Once Upon a Time in China" movies as Jet Li's best work.[/quote]

See, I watched Once Upon a Time in China and just didn't think it was that great. But with Fist of Legend, there's a fight scene that's still stuck with me to this day (the one with cherry blossoms blowing everywhere). In fact, there are several.

If you haven't seen the Korean movie "A Bittersweet Life", I'd highly recommend it.

It's a revenge flick about an enforcer in the mob who gets turned against.

Here's the trailer: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLtMbZLeVk[/media]

Check it out!

spoiler question

spoiler

i]chi the killer

so at the end Ichi kills the guy and his son. kills flamboyant guy to right? then in the epiloge segment is looks like he is alive again ? the guy walking away with the students was ichi right ¿? Was the person in the tree the muscle guy or another bully ¿? thanks for any help

[quote name='floormat']spoiler question

spoiler

ichi the killer

so at the end Ichi kills the guy and his son. kills flamboyant guy to right? then in the epiloge segment is looks like he is alive again ? the guy walking away with the students was ichi right ¿? Was the person in the tree the muscle guy or another bully ¿? thanks for any help[/quote]FYI, we have spoiler tags. Enclose your spoiler text in "[spoiler ]" & [/spoiler ]" tags.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']FYI, we have spoiler tags. Enclose your spoiler text in "[spoiler ]" & [/spoiler ]" tags.[/QUOTE]

k thanks did not know. bleh

[quote name='ispeshaled']If you haven't seen the Korean movie "A Bittersweet Life", I'd highly recommend it.

It's a revenge flick about an enforcer in the mob who gets turned against.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLtMbZLeVk

Check it out![/quote]
A Bittersweet life is prob my favorite Korean movie, good choice.

I would also check out a movie called Holiday, very good movie.

[quote name='ananag112']Do Bollywood movies count as "Asian"?[/quote]
fuck no.

Everyone must watch The City of Violence. fucking so awesome. So so awesome! It's coming out on a 2 disc DVD set soon.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SeRV4V5n3xs[/media]

[quote name='Zen Davis']fuck no.

Everyone must watch The City of Violence. fucking so awesome. So so awesome! It's coming out on a 2 disc DVD set soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SeRV4V5n3xs[/quote]
City of Violence sucked. There was one good fight, the rest of the movie was just boring.

Check out Flash Point when it comes out, it was just released in Hong Kong recently I believe. Donnie Yen is the man. The final fight is one of the best I have seen in a long time.

[quote name='Zen Davis']fuck no.

Everyone must watch The City of Violence. fucking so awesome. So so awesome! It's coming out on a 2 disc DVD set soon. [/quote]

TCoV is out now - 09/04/07. Great movie.

[quote name='Fragonard']City of Violence sucked. There was one good fight, the rest of the movie was just boring.

Check out Flash Point when it comes out, it was just released in Hong Kong recently I believe. Donnie Yen is the man. The final fight is one of the best I have seen in a long time.[/quote]

Checking out Flash Point right now. It has better action but is overall a less entertaining film than City of Violence.

It just takes itself too damn seriously.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Checking out Flash Point right now. It has better action but is overall a less entertaining film than City of Violence.

It just takes itself too damn seriously.[/quote]
I agree, that's the problem with a lot of modern Hong Kong films, they are trying to make a movie that has a good story and deep characters, but I'm sitting there just waiting for the next fight scene. They need to go back to just having a fight every 5 mintues like in the old kung fu flicks.

I just watched Invisible Target today.
It was pretty kickass.
Alot of great action even if some of it was over done.
The main villian was also kind of invincible too haha.
Jaycee Chan (Jackie Chan's son) Played his part very well, seems like hes gonna be a pretty good actor like his dad.

Great movie tho, if you like hong kong martial arts action style cop movies you should definitely check it out.

r_g0000078432_0_01.jpg

hope no one get mad but this thread needs revisited unless one that I have not seen replaced it. Has to have been some good movies that have come out in the last year or so.

I would not necessarily call it action (had its moments) but Cyborg Girl was excellent

bread's done
Back