In URGENT need of real life help and advice-Please take the time to read this

bh7812

CAGiversary!
I only post here once in a while. I am at a point where I need real-life help and advice badly. I have given great thought and consideration as to whether or not to make this post, since I’m afraid of being flamed, rude responses or accused of making what you’re about to read up but I swear it’s the 100 percent truth. I have decided, it is worth my time to do so and I ask anyone reading this to please bare with and read through all of it. I certainly hope it will be one of the most worthwhile posts some of you will read this year. I’ll try to keep this as short as I possibly can but I want to give everyone an idea what has led up to my finally deciding to post this. I hope this will be worth it and someone will make a difference for someone who needs it badly.

Almost 10 years ago, in September 1998 I started college. My major was an Associate’s in Computer Networking Sytems. At the time, the PC industry in general was really hot so I thought majoring in that was going to be a good bet and I would be able to find a job pretty quickly after graduation. My course work was accelerated and I graduated in January 2000 with my Associates. That same month I had eye surgery done so that I would no longer need contact lenses period. I do not regret that decision one bit. But it delayed the start of my job search by about a month. Once I recovered from the surgery I started my job search, still very optimistic I could find work quickly. In mid-2000 I was still looking for work but still not discouraged. At the end of that year, although I was still getting interviews I still had no job and was getting very discouraged as it was now 1 year since I graduated college :( I had several very positive job interviews that I thought certain would lead to a job offer but they fell through.

Finally, in June 2001, although not a PC Tech job like I wanted, I got a part time job at a local grocery store here in the Chicago area. I worked that job for 5 years, until January 2006. Over those 5 years, I had two VERY tough bosses who weren’t very fond of me. The 2nd boss of the two made things very difficult for everyone, including myself. During the second half of 2005 I was trying to make the best of a situation that wasn’t ideal. I dreaded going to work because of how difficult my boss was. That Christmas was REALLY hard because I was trying to get over the loss of a friend who left my life due to a complicated situation. Now we’re to January 2006. The 18th was when my life forever changed. That day was an already bad day that got worse. I came into work a half hour late due to things beyond my control and got written up for that. Then a customer came through the check out line who was rather unpleasant so I went at it with this customer and got hauled up to the Store Manager’s office. I was suspended pending an investigation and told to call in 3 days for the status of my job. I knew at that point things were very grim. You should know, the boss I had at that time I didn’t get along well with. Never shouting or arguing just didn’t get along. There’s a more complicated story there but I’ll leave that part out so I can get to why I’m posting this. If anyone is curious I would be happy to explain through PM so you’ll understand better. I called 3 days after being suspended pending investigation and was told I’d been fired. Long story short, I filed a grievance and tried to fight it. The circumstances leading up to and behind the firing were overkill. It’s complicated. Anyway, they decided not to take my grievance to corporate to negotiate so all I could do was appeal the decision and I did so. I wrote a 3 page letter detailing why I was appealing and why I needed my job back. You see, that firing was a MAJOR blow to me…I have Glaucoma in my right eye, and need to have eye check-ups twice a year to keep it under control. With check-ups, it will be fine and I will enjoy near-perfect eye sight the rest of my life. Without them, I WILL go blind in that eye. No one knows exactly how long that would take. It’s a matter of when, not if, without the checkups. In July, my eyesight in that eye struggled. It’s much better now but still not 100 percent. I need a job so I can have insurance to get these checkups. I have been unable to get the checkups for 2 years now. I have tried everywhere I can to find work. I am getting interviews but no job offers and I’m now very concerned and afraid for my future. I worked a seasonal retail job Christmas 2006 that I did well at and my spirits were finally going back up. But they couldn’t find the hours to keep me on so I got let go. Another major blow. I got a very promising job interview with the high school district where I went to high school this past August. That fell through and left me more heartbroken. I have always been a VERY hard worker..always show up on time, never goof off, and do my job. I truly feel like I have been condemned before I even turn 30 and no one should feel like that. I will be 30 this December. I have a very good heart and am very generous to others. I am respectful of others and their opinions.

I have had to give up a LOT of things I’ve wanted these past 2 years. Several big games I wanted to buy I have been unable to afford. I recently had to trade in some of my old games, including some very rare ones, just to be able to play some of the more recent stuff. The latest one was Mass Effect and I didn’t want to give it up but had to pay off a pre-order. I have wanted to take a few trips too, including one to Hawaii (I’ve badly wanted to visit there for a few years now) and was unable to go on them due to this whole mess.

Now my reason for this post. I sincerely hope there are a few good hearted, generous people reading this who can make a difference. Here is the deal. I live in the South Suburbs of Chicago and am willing to work either close to home or in the Loop. I would prefer to be closer to home but will work downtown if I need to. Can anyone please suggest to me either a local company here in Chicago or a national company where I would have a good to excellent chance of at least being interviewed? If anyone reading this is extra generous and has an extra big heart, and is in a position to make hiring decisions, can you please consider at least interviewing me? I am totally willing to fill out an application and interview just like anyone else and provide you a resume. But I really need someone willing to step forward, give me a chance to prove myself, and help get me back on my feet at this point. Even if just one person steps forward with advice or help I will be forever thankful.

As I’ve said, I have given literally a few months of thought to this post. It has been mostly 10 very long, tiring years of setback after setback. I’m tired, all cried out and don’t know what else to do. Please, anyone with a good, generous heart please make a difference and help me get back on my feet and help save me from potentially going blind in one eye. It means everything to me right now to get back on my feet. Thank you for reading this and any help or advice you can give :) If you can help or have advice please either reply to the post or PM me :)

Maybe you should add or edit your title to get attention of CAGs local to Chicago. Or even post in the Regional Thread there. They might be able to help since you have a specific need to the area. Best of luck to you.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Maybe you should add or edit your title to get attention of CAGs local to Chicago. Or even post in the Regional Thread there. They might be able to help since you have a specific need to the area. Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good suggestion.

Have you been trying to apply for positions online? Sites like Monster.com are definitely worth a shot, if you haven't been - anything that can get your resume out there quickly and with minimal effort is bound to help.

With your degree in Computer Networking why don't you try tech support in a call center or something? I'm sure they'd be some call centers in the Chicago area. See if Comcast or Verizon or someone has any openings. With your degree and customer service experience you'd likely at least get an interview. If they have a job fair that'd be even better.

Thank you for the replies everyone :) I will definitely re-post this in the Regional section in the morning as it's getting late but I wanted to say thank you. CAG has been really good to me and I like it here.

To the person who suggested Comcast and Verizon I'll look into that for sure and I thank you for that suggestion.

Look man, just go see a doctor, and take some pain killers until the burning stops...

Ok, now I feel bad, I'm gonna read the whole deal and offer some advice.

"a customer came through the check out line who was rather unpleasant so I went at it with this customer"

I read your entire post; this phrase you wrote says a lot.

scares potential employers, you've shown signs with loss of control, temper, poor customer service, and liability.

your medical condition is heart-felt, but employers see you differently. sorry.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']"a customer came through the check out line who was rather unpleasant so I went at it with this customer"

scares potential employers, you've shown signs with loss of control, temper, poor customer service, and liability.

your medical condition is heart-felt, but employers see you differently. sorry.[/quote]

True, true. I'd leave that out of resumes, and if people ask why you're no longer with the grocery store come up with something else! Management didn't like you, wanted to better yourself, etc...

That's a pretty raw deal you've got going on. My advice would be to take anything you can get to keep you going in the meantime. Sadly, if that means working at a fast food place, just do it to have money.

Myself, I'd look at either sales or retail. Seems those places are always hiring. Retail is obviously annoying, but if you're willing to work a lot of hours, thatn can lead to management and decent pay.

Sales, well sales is what it is. If you're on mainly commission that can be really stressful, but again if you work really hard you should be ok.

You may want to try leaving the area you're in to find more places that are hiring. Why not apply for a job in Hawaii! That's actually one of the states with the lowest unemployment rate.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']"a customer came through the check out line who was rather unpleasant so I went at it with this customer"

your medical condition is heart-felt, but employers see you differently. sorry.[/quote]

I've got to back up Mospeada on this. When an employer looks at your raw employment history and sees your past history it raises red flags and scares them away. At this point it's pretty evident you're bringing a lot of baggage to the table and you're going to have a hard time getting your foot in the door.

I can pretty much guarantee you that without somebody to get your foot in the door at a tech job, you won't be using your degree anytime soon. You really need to eat humble pie and establish a good work history. How can you go about this? Be a thorn in the side of every HR department in the city until you get an interview or get hired. Apply at every temp agency under the sun (in Chicago, there's a temp company every five blocks).

Another CAG hit me up with a lot of good advice about quick cash so I'll spill it here: Hit up local universities for studies, craigslist for odd jobs, and see if there are blood/plasma donation spots in your area. Sleep studies can pay as much as 5K for a month living in one of their centers.

Good luck.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']
You may want to try leaving the area you're in to find more places that are hiring. Why not apply for a job in Hawaii! That's actually one of the states with the lowest unemployment rate.[/quote]

He's going to need some coin to get established out there. It's expensive just to fly out and everything is expensive on the islands.

Temp jobs are the way to go. They are great to help you get started and try out a lot of places.

Hawai`i can be expensive, but what do I know, I'm just a caveman lawyer. The only company that would likely cover an entry level hire relocation expenses out here would be the military.

Move to a place where you can get a job, you have decide would you rather be "home" or would you rather have your health.

As much as I love home and my family, ultimately my health comes first.

Find someplace else to live. The country (world) is a big place.

Update: And don't move to Hawaii, those are places to visit not to live. It would suck to live there.

some good advice here.

i would prioritize your life - you're worried about your glaucomo and not getting mass effect?

it sounds like video games should be the last thing on your list (i know i know, not easy) - but maybe setting up a personal budget would help?

My advice is to make an abridged version of this post for us reading impaired/ADD problematic/downright lazy posters.

dude..... so you're telling us that you've been sitting on your ass for the past two years, crying over this.

Dude, it's not like there is Abosolutely no one out there that will hire you. Go work at McDonalds or the Movie Theatres, while your trying to find something better. There's tons of places that'll hire a monkey if they could.
sure, they're not really all that great, but It's still a job. and like I said, just something to do while you look for something else.
no reason to sit on your ass for 2 years.

I have to agree with the above posts about the "going at it with the customer" thing. It may be unfair but the first thing I thought was that you might have an anger managment issue. Also gaming should be the last priority on your list. if you're out of a job, you shouldn't worried about not being able to play the latest releases; save all that money in a saving account until you get back on your feet.

Best of luck to you though in your job search.

OP, you really need to find SOME employment. And don't ever, EVER, cite to "problems with your boss" or "differences with managment" as a reason you left a job. Don't even go into any details about fights/conflicts or bad farewell's that occured at former jobs. If I was interviewign you, this would scare me away. Tell em you left to better yourself or needed a job with more money or something.

You do have a rather marketable skill, it's not like you're a fucking histroy or philosphy major.

Have you ever considered more school? It may help, even if its just your self esteem. Dunno what your loan situation is like but maybe its worth sinking 20k into a better degree since you don't seem to be having much luck.

Here is the best advice you will get: Keep trying! All you ahve to do is keep trying, I know it's hard, depressing, and you probably feel like a piece of shit but just keep trying, get those resume's. It's a numbers game, with enough effort you're BOUND to find something. If this doesnt work, go to a temp agency.

Several suggestions:

- First and foremost, think about what you'd really like to do, not what simply will make you money or provide insurance. Don't be afraid to have ambitions, even if right now they feel very far away. In general, you seem to have taken the attitude that you'll work for anyone who will hire you. That kind of desperation is both visible to potential employers and is a self betrayal. Figure out what you'd actually like to do with your life and pursue that. The job will come.

- Polish your resume to a high gloss. There are so many people out there with weak resumes that could be made stronger simply through better descriptions of job responsibilities and skills and more judicious editing of job history. If your job history is lacking, substitute with a more detailed and extensive list of your abilities. There are plenty of resume tips online.

- Go back to school if you can afford it and you feel it will help you achieve the goals you have set for yourself.

- As others have said, sign on with temp agency as soon as possible. Maybe they send some jobs your way, maybe they don't, but it's an easy way to get into the mix, hopefully earn some money, and add some crucial bullet points to your resume.

- KEEP WORKING, even if it's a crappy retail or fast food job. The money and just having somewhere to go each day will help keep your self esteem up. Dead spots on a resume are bad news, and something is always better than nothing.

- Consider unpaid internships or full-time volunteer opportunities like AmeriCorps. I did a year as a Team Leader with AmeriCorps in 2000-2001 after having trouble finding full-time work. I managed a team of 7 service members who worked in an Atlanta charter school tutoring kids in English, running an after-school program, and providing teacher assistance, among other responsibilities. It provided me with valuable experience and a lot of self esteem. Three months after "graduating" from the program, I found a job in my chosen field (I have an English degree and was hired as a magazine editor) and haven't looked back.

Good luck to you. We're pulling for ya!

>I have had to give up a LOT of things I’ve wanted these past 2 years.
>Several big games I wanted to buy I have been unable to afford.

Sorry dude, but this is called life. If you would rather play the latest video games instead of taking care of your vision, your priorities are messed up.

Sell the video games, go to the eye doctor

[quote name='Yo Mama']>I have had to give up a LOT of things I’ve wanted these past 2 years.
>Several big games I wanted to buy I have been unable to afford.

Sorry dude, but this is called life. If you would rather play the latest video games instead of taking care of your vision, your priorities are messed up.

Sell the video games, go to the eye doctor[/quote]

yeah, I don't want to be a dick, but no one else other than the above poster has said anything. Not working for 2 years, and you're upset about having to sell games like Mass Effect and other rare games in your collection in order to get other new release games you want to play?...not sell Mass Effect to go to the doctor, or buy food or pay rent, but to buy other games? Buying and playing games should be the last thing you should be doing after being out of work for 2 years. Finding a job, going out everyday, everywhere applying for jobs, calling the HRs of places you applied is what you should be doing.

Go apply at Wal Mart, Target, McDonalds. Anything that has health coverage. It's better than sitting out of work for 2 years playing games. Finding a job, just a job, not a career should not be that hard considering you have work experience, and are not 17. I know jobs like that suck, but you need to do something other than nothing, and getting a job like that is a start. Go to a temp agency, see if they can place you somewhere.

you have no money for the eye doctor to keep you from going blind, but find ways to get money for new video games. prioritize. I could wait to play some games if it meant i wouldnt lose my vision.

I'm not understanding how you can't find any jobs at all. Do odd jobs for people till you find an actual job... mow laws, wash cars, walk dogs, do something. If i need money bad enough i can find ways to get it.

[quote name='crystalklear64']UPS I believe has medical coverage even for part-time workers.[/quote]

I can confirm this. The only downside to UPS is that they pay very little and provide few hours until you get promoted to driver or management.

I would say to try getting a job at starbucks because of their outstanding health plan an it kicks in even for part time employees, but with your track record with customers, i dont really think that doing retail work would be a good idea for you. That sort of trouble hurts you in interviews as well.

Maybe try working in a kitchen. Contact the department of rehabiliation of Illonois and they will help your find work.

And like the guy who said to try working for fast food- i worked at in n out when i couldnt find real work, and it motivated me to find a real job. No one is above working fast food, not you, not me, not anyone. and the turnover there is ridiculous so they always need more employees.

You can try to apply for medic-aid, and make use of some of the safety nets that the state has in place for your eyes. I am blind in one eye, and went through the surgeories so i can sympathize with that, MOST jobs will give you a health plan after 90 days of working full time.

edit and yeah, like the guy above me said, forget about buying videogames, you need to take care of your vision and your health first.

I did my best to remember all of that. I don't remember you mentioning a bachelor's degree. the tech field is very competitive, I'm going for my associates right now so i know. I've been pretty much told I'll need a bachelor's degree for anything meaningful. it may not be a good time, but more education wouldn't hurt.

It also depends o where you live, Chicago is a major city. where i live there aren't a lot of college graduates to begin with, so my prospects may be better. Can' be as picky about employees when there aren't as many to choose from.

I need a web page made for my business. If you know how to do that send me a pm. This goes for anyone else on here either that sees it. You would of course be paid for it.

[quote name='schuerm26']I need a web page made for my business. If you know how to do that send me a pm. This goes for anyone else on here either that sees it. You would of course be paid for it.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Thank you to everyone for the replies, I really do appreciate it. Each and every one of you is 100 percent right saying I need to take care of my vision and health before any video game and that's what I intend to do. The games will be there later, after I've gotten back on my feet and gotten my eye checkup. I can buy back Mass Effect then but now I need to worry about my health and vision first and foremost.

And I did post this on Gamespot too, I think it's very sad that not even one person took the time to simply reply. That speaks volumes for the kind of people that post there. CAGs do care a million times more I agree and that's why I wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and advice. I will pull through this, I'm just gonna need to stay strong :)

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents..

Why are people making a deal about him having an altercation with a customer? He had a bad day, and he made a mistake. I'm going to assume that was probably a one time deal and not a recurrent issue since he kept that job for about 5 years. If that's the case, he should be fine. He doesn't ever *HAVE* to mention in an interview... ;) And I suppose he could use other people he worked with for references rather than the difficult bosses he has.

Good luck, OP!

[quote name='Maklershed']CAGs care more than Gamespot people apparently:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=314159273&topic_id=26234513[/quote]

ouch they are dicks anyway

I suggest moving someplace else. Sometimes you need a fresh start.

I know this sounds dumb but maybe working for your cable company or phone company either in the installing or the technical aspects of their high speed internet services. Know someone who has been working for comcast for awhile seems to like it and has advanced pretty far in it.

Also Border's gives employees Health insurance too, even for part timers I believe

You're scaring the shit out of me OP I graduate in May. If college is any indicator of real life, nobody will ever help you with anything ever. Try mirroring your resume off something good you find online and apply for every job within driving distance that the internet has to offer. If that doesn't work then apply at every fast food place you can find.

When I was in high school I got turned down by a bunch of fast food places because jobs were tight in my area. Apparently having babies was all the rage around the time I was born. If that's the case in your area I'd suggest moving after you're sure you've made a thorough examination of your possibilities.

OP - Temp, Temp, Temp

Show up to work early and leave late. Do whatever they ask of you, the way they ask it, and also offer to do more.

It will get your foot in the door and if you're good they won't want to let you go. If they can't hire you full time you'll at least build up a good work history. Employers love using temps - it's a try before you buy and they are always more reluctant to take someone on by a resume and a meeting.

I've known ppl way less qualified then you who this worked for. Good luck!

Btw, being in the tech field also means we can get certs to back up our education. You might consider getting a book sometime and study for some cert exams. Especially certs like a CCNA.

Let's see... you're barely scraping by, yet you can apparently afford to buy $60 video games and contemplate trips to Hawaii? You only complete two years at a community college, yet can't understand why employers aren't offering you jobs with great pay and benefits given your "outstanding credentials"?

The problem is not that you're unlucky. It's that you're foolish and have an inflated sense of your worth. Turn off the video games, stop surfing gaming boards, and swallow your pride and take a couple of menial jobs. They may not offer insurance, but at least you're making money. Sitting at your computer, composing long-winded "Woe is me!" letters, is pathetic and a waste of time - time that's better spent working in a fast food resturant, selling peanuts at a baseball game or whatever it takes to earn money to afford doctor visits (biannual office visits plus glaucoma eyedrops is not going to break the bank) . Or is your vision not worth taking jobs that are "beneath you"? If immigrants who speak no English can obtain jobs in this country, why can't you?

alot of good advice here, but your health has to be priority #1 over the gaming...

Went through a stretch a couple of years ago when i basically had to quit my job for 6 months because i had retinal detachment surgery 4 times. I was only full time with the company for 10 months and short term disability was only available after 1 year. I had to move back home with the rents' and do nothing while having surgery after surgery... It's a long story but I'm blind in my right eye now.... So i can sort of relate in the eye problem department, and what vision i have left is very important and priority #1

After doing nothing for 6 months the worst part about not working was feeling useless. I felt a ton better when i got back to working full time.

Finding some sort of job could help out especially with the self esteem and at least bring in some $$$ with insurance being a plus.

I know for a fact UPS has a program with Chicago State University where you work the part time icky hours for $10-ish an hour, go to school full time and they give a books/living stipend. You can then further your degree, have access to the career center for help with resumes, contacts, interviewing skills.

Hey OP, I feel your pain. I generally agree with everyone's advice here. In addition, I would try to look into the USPS and see if they're hiring. I know tax season is coming up and they probably need a lot of help.

As a matter of my own opinion (and this is strictly my opinion), I would consider the military as a last resort if I'm really, REALLY desperate. Why? Just for the health benefits. If I have to pick a branch, I would pick Air Force and then the Navy. Since you have a degree, you can try to do the officier program.

Good luck, OP. I hope you take care of your eye.

If your looking for insurance (these jobs won't have anything to do yet if you consider them) I would try Home Depot or Lowes. I worked 5 years for HD, had great insurance (even had it for my cat, who's coverage was cheaper then mine, and better! lol) Feel your pain on the boss, my 3rd and last store manager was a real dick to everyone (one of those people no matter what you did for him, he was never happy), especaily me (he hated the night crew, 3rd shift, and me since I was in charge of them). Home Depot does have networking people, it would have soemthing to do with home office "Atlanta GA.". Corp. possitions I don't know much about, mainly instore and night Operations (wich i was in charge of), but the HR would be able to provide more insight in that. It's not the greatest job in the world, but pays alright and carries Aetna medical, Spectera vision, dun remember dental and perscription providers, and discounts to cell phones, computers (dell,hp, compaq ect ect) and others. Moving onto Lowe's for a change. Hope this helps you in some way

OP- i agree with some people on here and say just find a job for the moment. It might not be what you wanna do do the sooner you start working the I think you might need to go get some help from what i feel is depression. I'm not a doctor but in your writing there are sign that you are battling with depression. I know its been said but dont give up keep going and you are in my prayers.

OP :whistle2:(
I've been out of work for almost a year.. and I know how ya feel because I have asthma and I need my inhalers/check-ups, luckily for me I do have insurance (domestic partners FTW)

I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I apply, I send resumes.. I get interviews and NOTHING. Absolutley NOTHING. I check Craigslist everyday and I respond to a few ads and I even post my resume in the "POST RESUME" section.. I don't get any replies from what I sent, nor do I get responses from what I posted. It is absolutley insane.. so I know exactly how fucking discouraged you are.

And to the people who are telling him about not worrying about games, etc blah balh.. You don't understand something. You can't MAKE someone hire you. You can do your best to jazz up your resume, go to interviews and really try to shine.. but in the end you can't make them hire you. There is only so much you can do in 1 day. It gets extremely stressful and sometimes you really need to sit in front of the TV and play something to avoid the thoughts about how your life is falling apart :lol:

Don't worry, you (and I) will eventually get some kind of job. (LOL, GOD I HOPE SO)

[quote name='lilboo']OP :whistle2:(
I've been out of work for almost a year.. and I know how ya feel because I have asthma and I need my inhalers/check-ups, luckily for me I do have insurance (domestic partners FTW)

I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I apply, I send resumes.. I get interviews and NOTHING. Absolutley NOTHING. I check Craigslist everyday and I respond to a few ads and I even post my resume in the "POST RESUME" section.. I don't get any replies from what I sent, nor do I get responses from what I posted. It is absolutley insane.. so I know exactly how fucking discouraged you are.

And to the people who are telling him about not worrying about games, etc blah balh.. You don't understand something. You can't MAKE someone hire you. You can do your best to jazz up your resume, go to interviews and really try to shine.. but in the end you can't make them hire you. There is only so much you can do in 1 day. It gets extremely stressful and sometimes you really need to sit in front of the TV and play something to avoid the thoughts about how your life is falling apart :lol:

Don't worry, you (and I) will eventually get some kind of job. (LOL, GOD I HOPE SO)[/quote]

Do you temp? I can't stress how helpful temping is at building work exp and getting your foot in the door.

[quote name='camoor']Do you temp? I can't stress how helpful temping is at building work exp and getting your foot in the door.[/QUOTE]

I actually went to a temp place in the summer, and nothing came out of it :lol:
I really don't understand what's going on anymore.

bread's done
Back