Independent game stores in Miami

Naughty_Insomniac

CAGiversary!
I've been looking for a mom & pop shop around here and haven't had any luck so far. :( I know there's a few people here that are from Miami so maybe someone knows one.

I just get tired of going to the same old Gamestop and EB. I know there's gotta be some independent shops in Miami.

if there are any consider yourself lucky. The only dedicated store for games near me is Buyrite (in raleigh) and some store called Game Giant that I have not gone in as it is so small I doubt they have anything

I must be lucky then. Athens, where I live, is barely big enough to officially be called a city and we have EB, Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Blockbuster (with a Game Rush), and two independant game shops named GameXChange and Game Quest.

See that's the thing. I can find a Gamestop, EB, etc anywhere. But in such a big city, and especially with the way Miami is so spread out, you would think there would be at least *some* indie stores.

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']I've been looking for a mom & pop shop around here and haven't had any luck so far.[/quote]

Why? Do you like paying more for games?

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']I've been looking for a mom & pop shop around here and haven't had any luck so far.[/quote]

Why? Do you like paying more for games?[/quote]

sometimes they are much cheaper though. The one store that is not a big video game store has some things for very cheap

I pick up many SNES games from them, and most of their console games run fairly cheap

All of those reasons. But also just because.

I don't know, just to look around and see what kind of stuff they may have that Gamestop and EB would never carry. Just for a change of pace, to see something different. And they may have different prices, different freebies. Maybe they have more knick-knacks, collectable stuff. *shrug*

Different.

La Villa Clara out in Little Havana off of flagler, down by the orange bowl is a nice mom and pop store and have old games for the genesis, master system, game gear, and old toys and even old mattel game systems. Also There is a game shop at the USA Flea market off of Us1 and Marlin Rd in Cutler Ridge. If ya want drop me a PM we can talk further.

[quote name='KingNES']Also There is a game shop at the USA Flea market off of Us1 and Marlin Rd in Cutler Ridge.[/quote]

All of the stuff in that place looks hot.

[quote name='"Scrubking"'][quote name='"KingNES"']Also There is a game shop at the USA Flea market off of Us1 and Marlin Rd in Cutler Ridge.[/quote]

All of the stuff in that place looks hot.[/quote]

True, then again I dont shop there. Sides you asked for places ;-)

[quote name='Wshakspear']Also to get imports and dead system games. There one in MI on Ford Rd. near canton called gamespot[/quote]

Yeah, the Playsource mini-chain was actually kind of good.
but just about a year or so they closed both the John R and Garfield stores.
Now most of the east side is just wallowing in the poorly distributed monster that is Gamestop. I still wonder what the point of having 3 retail locations in plazas directly across from each other is. You would almost think the rent would be cheaper if they took over an older store and just made one large store that they staffed with the same employees... of top of that, they could probably run a great deal leaner on product ordering as well.

Us CAGers down in south Miami need to get together and hang out at least once. Have a multiplayer party or something.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='KingNES']Also There is a game shop at the USA Flea market off of Us1 and Marlin Rd in Cutler Ridge.[/quote]

All of the stuff in that place looks hot.[/quote]
I agree. I went in there once a long time ago. Didn't get a good vibe at all.

So far the only one is La Villa Clara? Far away, and in Little Havana to boot.

[quote name='Scrubking']Creo que hay uno alli en la calle ocho al lado de una cafeteria.[/quote]
I can just imagine what a place like that would be like.
Me: Estoy buscando Esplinter Cell para Esbox.
Clerk: Ah? Esbox? Por que quieres comprar algo para mi esposo?
*Woman behind the counter proceeds to chase me, broom in hand*

Yeah, that was pretty lame. Oh well, I tried.

What's sad is that I live too close to Calle Ocho. Totally off-topic: Has anybody been to Sonia's? It's a seafood restaurant/bar at Calle Ocho and the Palmetto. Everytime I drive by, it looks like it's totally packed. I hear it's awesome.

[quote name='Scrubking']Us CAGers down in south Miami need to get together and hang out at least once. Have a multiplayer party or something.[/quote]
Yep. Most of my friends don't really play games. It would be cool to get a group together and play something.

[quote name='KingNES']If ya want drop me a PM we can talk further.[/quote]
It's not that I don't like you. But I'd rather keep it here in public. Maybe we can attract more people from the Miami area. Maybe we can make this our own little piece of CAG. lol

[quote name='naughty']I can just imagine what a place like that would be like.
Me: Estoy buscando Esplinter Cell para Esbox.
Clerk: Ah? Esbox? Por que quieres comprar algo para mi esposo?
*Woman behind the counter proceeds to chase me, broom in hand*

Yeah, that was pretty lame. Oh well, I tried.

What's sad is that I live too close to Calle Ocho. Totally off-topic: Has anybody been to Sonia's? It's a seafood restaurant/bar at Calle Ocho and the Palmetto. Everytime I drive by, it looks like it's totally packed. I hear it's awesome.[/quote]

:rofl:

No I have never been to that place. My cheap ass keeps me from eating out very much.

bread's done
Back