Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Wii) $19.99 shipped

Still $20 too much for this game. Reviews have been awful and the old school game is available free and legally if you look around for it online

[quote name='keysersoze25']the old school game is available free and legally if you look around for it online[/QUOTE]

Is that so... I love how pirates will just make stuff up. Not only was it NEVER abandonware (just because something isn't currently being sold doesn't null the copyright), it IS currently being sold in two different forms.

Someday, when you grow up and move out of mommy's house, you may be involved in a court case of some kind and you'll learn that in the real world all the wishing in the world doesn't make something legal.

Horrible game ... only reason to buy it is for Fate of Atlantis

And shut the fuck up to anyone in this post who doesn't eat meat or any animal products ;-p

[quote name='awp']Very tempting. Wish it had gotten better reviews.[/QUOTE]

No, you wish that it was a better game, which would have perhaps resulted in better reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wanted a new good Indiana Jones game; I guess I'll just stick to my old copies of Fate of the Atlantis and the Last Crusades.

In for 1. My 2 oldest boys birthdays are coming up in the next 2 weeks. They will beat this then flip it for a profit!

[quote name='etcrane']And shut the fuck up to anyone in this post who doesn't eat meat or any animal products ;-p[/QUOTE]

Well, that was certainly unprovoked. Your friends must think you're a really cool guy. You know that bagging on people for absolutely no reason is a sign of insecurity, right? Do you also tell all the Jews you see to go back to Israel, and all the blacks to go back to Africa, because they're not like you?

Companies like Lucas Arts and Nintendo are raping the wallets of nostalgia inclined gamers with exorbitant prices on old old games that were, for all intents and purposes, free for people to find online for the past 10 years until the companies got smart and decided to cash in on digital distribution and outrageous fees of $5 to $10 for games you could have downloaded without issue (aka 10 years ago, emulation sites & SCUMMVM support sites made it fairly easy to find this type of content without fear of a lawsuit).

Now companies are surfing on their old releases and in some cases, not delivering new and equally compelling content. Which is unfortunate because it doesn't really move the industry forward to release a bunch of old games for high prices (and I'm looking at Nintendo more than Lucas Arts when I say high prices, but looking more at Lucas Arts when I say not delivering new compelling content). So that's why it's unfortunate and the poster that you tore a new one was making a valid point regarding these older games.

Bottom line, it was cool in the case of the game referenced in this deal that Lucas Arts included Fate of Atlantis, but it is seriously the only redeeming feature of this title. The main game is awful ... the Xbox Indiana Jones was a better game and had better graphics to boot ... so just be aware of that, because even at $20 I still wouldn't touch this game ... it really is that bad.

[quote name='etcrane']Companies like Lucas Arts and Nintendo are raping the wallets of nostalgia inclined gamers with exorbitant prices on old old games that were, for all intents and purposes, free for people to find online for the past 10 years until the companies got smart and decided to cash in on digital distribution and outrageous fees of $5 to $10 for games you could have downloaded without issue (aka 10 years ago, emulation sites & SCUMMVM support sites made it fairly easy to find this type of content without fear of a lawsuit).

Now companies are surfing on their old releases and in some cases, not delivering new and equally compelling content. Which is unfortunate because it doesn't really move the industry forward to release a bunch of old games for high prices (and I'm looking at Nintendo more than Lucas Arts when I say high prices, but looking more at Lucas Arts when I say not delivering new compelling content).[/QUOTE] I'm not sure if I'm following your logic. Are you suggesting that people are entitled to older games for free simply because they're just that... older? Or is your point that you're upset that you use to be able to get these games for free (the debate of the legality aside), but now have to shell out up to $10 to compensate the developers for their investment? I like Terminator 2 much more than Terminator: Salvation, but I don't feel that I'm entitled to a free copy of Terminator 2 simply because the following movies aren't as good. It's hard to say that $5-$10 are "outrageous fees" for games that originally retailed for up to $50.

[quote name='Thrinn']I'm not sure if I'm following your logic. Are you suggesting that people are entitled to older games for free simply because they're just that... older? Or is your point that you're upset that you use to be able to get these games for free (the debate of the legality aside), but now have to shell out up to $10 to compensate the developers for their investment? I like Terminator 2 much more than Terminator: Salvation, but I don't feel that I'm entitled to a free copy of Terminator 2 simply because the following movies aren't as good. It's hard to say that $5-$10 are "outrageous fees" for games that originally retailed for up to $50.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of whether you agree with the fact that they were free or not, they were easy to come by in the time between the PS1 era through the beginning of the 360/PS3 era. That is simple fact ... it's not a matter of logic ... I'm not suggesting people should or should not have been downloading them or gaining access via programs like SCUMM ... it's the simple reality of what was happening at the time.

And btw, these "developers" you're talking about, in many cases, aren't even the same people who made the games to begin with. Thus the profits that are going to Nintendo and Lucas Arts in many cases are not benefiting the people who actually worked on the games.

Charging $5 for an NES game or $10 to $15 for an N64 game is simply ridiculous ... bottom line is that plenty of people were helping themselves to these games over the decade I mentioned earlier and now companies are profiting off the people who weren't aware of that fact ... not logic ... fact.

Your point regarding Terminator is somewhat flawed because I can find a copy of Terminator 2 today for $5 on DVD, with higher quality than when it was originally released 10+ years ago on VHS for $30. My point is, I would like to see more new ventures from these companies, rather than old rehashes and cash ins on loyal fan bases. A great example of the right thing to do in regards to these older games is the new, updated Monkey Island. That is worth the cost because it adds something to the titles that may have been free to download 5 years ago.

Ohhh I'm tempted by this... I just spent $80 on that Fatal Frame Trilogu deal though, so maybe I'll just sit this one out until its cheaper. From the sound of the reviews, this game is doomed to the bargin bins.

Desicisions, desicisions....

Wow. Just wow.

I can't believe you're arguing that because something is easy to pirate, $5 is an insult, and you're entitled to have it for free. keysersoze25 takes it one step further; he's telling people that it's officially and legally a free product, which is blatantly false.

[quote name='etcrane']suddenly you're claiming he lives in his parent's basement and will become involved in a lawsuit at some point.[/QUOTE]

Well, you know, it gets so hard to tell. When someone's done something as childish as convincing himself that "out-of-print" means "free-for-all", I'm going to have to assume that this is a kid we're talking about. Because in the real world, we know it doesn't work that way. I didn't say he was going to be sued by Lucasarts. I said that most people at some point in their lives are involved some form of legal dispute, and when that day comes perhaps keysersoze will learn that the law doesn't care what you think. Maybe on that day he'll finally grow up. If you guys are grownups, after all, and you think that ignorance or denial equates with legal innocence, that's just sad.

[quote name='etcrane']Companies like Lucas Arts and Nintendo are raping the wallets of nostalgia inclined gamers with exorbitant prices on old old games that were, for all intents and purposes, free for people to find online for the past 10 years until the companies got smart and decided to cash in on digital distribution and outrageous fees of $5 to $10 for games you could have downloaded without issue (aka 10 years ago, emulation sites & SCUMMVM support sites made it fairly easy to find this type of content without fear of a lawsuit).[/QUOTE]

You're still not convincing me that you're a functioning, employed adult, with thoughts like that. Really? $5-10 is too much? $5-10 isn't too much for anything. I spend more than that on lunch, and that's gone in 15 minutes.

Dude, you go ahead and live in your perfect world where you pay over and over again for re-releases of the exact same thing ... I'll pass but have fun wasting your hard earned money, that's a right that we all have and if you choose to exercise that right, so be it. If you had actually read beyond the sentences you chose to highlight, you would see that my actual issue is with companies that don't innovate and choose to release the same games over and over again. The fact that the best part of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings is the included IJ & the FoA is testament to that.

And I'm arguing that most people didn't look at it as pirating 5 years ago, because the products weren't openly available for purchase. But evidently you're too damn smart to acknowledge that ... and sadly, you don't seem to do too well with sarcasm either.

Bottom line, go ahead and buy overpriced, old shit for however much you'd like ... it's not my concern ... but I do feel the point made by the dude you jumped all over was perfectly valid and on topic ...

Keep telling yourself that it matters what people don't "look at it as". I'm going to bed. I'll let this sit, you'll probably look like even more of an idiot by the time I'm back. YARRRR!

Back on the conversation about Staff of Kings....

I've bought it and played through the main game. I've not played co-op or Fate of Atlantis yet. But, I haven't played co-op, because it looks like more of the same bad game except I have to force a friend through it too.

There should have just been one punch for each hand or somthing. It's just too hard to do all this gesture punching. There is a little depth to the timing of punches, but since your punches don't happen like you want them to the timing aspect just frustrates. There is challenge in having to duck and extra fun stuff with the grabbing of stuff and bringing down bookcases. It should be really fun, just the waggle takes all the fun out of it.

And it's not just the waggle, but also the repetative fights fights that are the problem. Remember the scene in where the two guys gang up on you while a third guy throws stuff at you?

It starts out looking like they're going to add fun levels like the flying level, but that's the funnest of the extra levels. Getting near the end, there's an extra levels that is purely do the right gesture at the right time crap. I like the shooting gallery games, but they don't feel teribly Indy like to be using the gun as much as you are.

It should be the type of beat-em up that with practice you can get really good. But you never get really good because your flailing doesn't correspond. I still can't beat some parts on hard, but the game is definiately beatable on normal/easy.

If there were classic controller support for the fighting sections, I'd tell you that it's worth $20. But as it is, the games a little short--and a little long. Final scene and ending are dumb. I may go back and finish collecting the hats, but I might not want to face the fight scenes again!

[quote name='sevast']Back on the conversation about Staff of Kings....

I've bought it and played through the main game. I've not played co-op or Fate of Atlantis yet. But, I haven't played co-op, because it looks like more of the same bad game except I have to force a friend through it too.

There should have just been one punch for each hand or somthing. It's just too hard to do all this gesture punching. There is a little depth to the timing of punches, but since your punches don't happen like you want them to the timing aspect just frustrates. There is challenge in having to duck and extra fun stuff with the grabbing of stuff and bringing down bookcases. It should be really fun, just the waggle takes all the fun out of it.

And it's not just the waggle, but also the repetative fights fights that are the problem. Remember the scene in where the two guys gang up on you while a third guy throws stuff at you?

It starts out looking like they're going to add fun levels like the flying level, but that's the funnest of the extra levels. Getting near the end, there's an extra levels that is purely do the right gesture at the right time crap. I like the shooting gallery games, but they don't feel teribly Indy like to be using the gun as much as you are.

It should be the type of beat-em up that with practice you can get really good. But you never get really good because your flailing doesn't correspond. I still can't beat some parts on hard, but the game is definiately beatable on normal/easy.

If there were classic controller support for the fighting sections, I'd tell you that it's worth $20. But as it is, the games a little short--and a little long. Final scene and ending are dumb. I may go back and finish collecting the hats, but I might not want to face the fight scenes again![/QUOTE]

Totally on the mark, having owned the Wii version and played through it, I agree that it's the controls that really kill it. I've actually heard the PS2 version is a step up because it has standard controls, but unfortunately FoA is a Wii exclusive bonus. The sad part is that in both instances, the game never amounted to the level of excitement I think most people had when they saw the Lucas Arts tech demos. There is no possible way that Lucas Arts could have truly believed they were putting out a good product that lived up to this franchise ... or at the very least, one which reflected the potential shown in the earliest stages of this game's production.

I own many of the games lucasarts is re-releasing. They aren't playable on my computer and require jumping through numerous dosbox or custom patch hoops.

If you create something, you own it for the length of the copyright. It doesn't matter if you don't do anything with it for 5 weeks or 5 years. Try working on the production side instead of thinking as an entitled consumer.
A company should and does have every right to it's own backlist. A culture of stealing doesn't justify stealing, it just makes you look deluded.

Would think about grabbin' this, but I hate the whole motion control for the Wii. Besides, I don't want to disturb the layers of dust collecting on my Wii.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I love that games drop rapidly in price nowadays. ^_^[/QUOTE]
+1 for this
but thanks to that, I'm dry now
too much games and BD to buy :bomb:

bread's done
Back