qtlogo.jpg
        (161Mb)
      • HD 1080P Yahoo **
        qtlogo.jpg
        (133Mb) / Studio
        qtlogo.jpg
        (282Mb)

Saw it this morning.. LOVE IT.

Two great one-liners which I shant spoil here.

A lot of those effects look practical... BRAVO!

[quote name='Zen Davis']But I do.
[/quote]

You da man. I was searching for a place to DL (not stream) it.

[quote name='Number83']I don't know...I liked the trailer, but Indy just looks, IDK, old.

Definately looking forward to it, though.[/quote]Well, he is.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']A lot of those effects look practical... BRAVO![/quote]

Computer effects will make or break this movie... as in, if there's a lot of CGI, they broke it.

[quote name='Number83']I don't know...I liked the trailer, but Indy just looks, IDK, old.

Definately looking forward to it, though.[/quote]

Yeah...20 years between movies will do that to you.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Computer effects will make or break this movie... as in, if there's a lot of CGI, they broke it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it doesn't look like they overdid it in the trailer...then again, it's a trailer. I hope they don't kill it with special effects.

My God...George lucas, I could kiss you if i didnt hate you so much! if the rest of the movie is like the trailer than i have absolutely nothing to worry about ...(Besides the aliens...Those goddamn aliens)

There is CG. You just need to know how to spot it. Like when Indy flies back into the truck. That's CG. When he lands, it's not.

The trailer has a very weird flow to it, but I guess they're still designing these to build excitement in a theater, i.e. "Oh, wow! This must be that new Raiders of the Lost Ark movie!"

That said, I didn't hear any Lucasian cringe-inducing lines there (although the last line kind of fell flat) and it looks like it very much could be the best Indy film since the original. That doesn't mean it'll be truly great, but it would mean that it will exceed the expectations of many. I just hope the film doesn't get way too referential to its predecessors.

Did anyone notice how the trailer really downplayed Lucas' involvement? They know. Oh yes, they know.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Computer effects will make or break this movie... as in, if there's a lot of CGI, they broke it.[/quote]

Can't be any worse than the cartoon looking 'ghosts/spirits' and energy flying out of the Ark of the Convenant, or better yet, the freaking cartoon airplane crash scene in Holy Grail.

I will disagree about the vengeful "wrath of God" spirits*, but wholeheartedly agree about the effects in Last Crusade. The pre-T2 effects on the disintegrating villain at the end make that film actually look more dated than Raiders.

I'm glad they didn't shoehorn Henry Jones into this just for more star power. I get the impression the father-son roles for Indy are supposed to be reversed in this one.

*--There's just something about bad CG that makes it more abrasive to my eye than more 'primitive' but quality effects. I'm no Luddite, but I've experienced this time and time again.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I wholeheartedly agree about the effects in Last Crusade. The pre-T2 effects on the disintegrating villain at the end make that film actually look more dated than Raiders.[/QUOTE]

What? After he drinks from the wrong grail? Those effects did and still do look great IMO.

Well, I don't remember what my initial reaction was in the theater, but "after further review" that particular effect stands out as very '1989'. Fun movie, but a kind of 'cheap' feel permeates the whole thing.

They seemed to downplay the intro of his son. Only a few quick shots of him. thats the one thing that could break this for me, if they get to mushy with the whole father/son bonding thing.

Plus everyone knows that last crusade was the best indy movie.:p

Did anyone else notice on the wooden box in the base it says:

Roswell

I think the last line fell flat mainly because of the way the trailer was cut together. There's too much space between where the kid asks the question and where he responds.

Yeah, I caught that by pausing my DVR--by mostly dumb luck--at just the right instant. Also, it's right there for everyone to see if you check out the trailer article on AICN.

I've heard there's a notion that this isn't necessarily the closing chapter of the Indiana Jones universe on the big screen, but please, Harrison's already in his mid-60s and I really don't want to see Mutt Ravenwood and the Quest for the Sacred Stratocaster or whatever. EDIT: If they did a sequel to this, I think it'd have to shoot by next summer. I know Spielberg can fast-track a movie when he really wants to (see: War of the Worlds), but I also know he's got a few other projects' plates spinning right now, too.

If they do another after this, it will either have to be without Ford or it will be like last crusade with him in the Connery role.

Geriatric Jones and The quest for Geritol.

I think the whole point of tying in shia is to let him become the next indy, could be wrong but thats what I get out of brining his son into the movie.

[quote name='lordwow']Did anyone else notice on the wooden box in the base it says:

Roswell

[/QUOTE]

Look up the Crystal Skull on google

[quote name='mattyg00013']I think the whole point of tying in shia is to let him become the next indy, could be wrong but thats what I get out of brining his son into the movie.[/quote]

Ugh, that would be absolutely horrible. Not only is he the total antithesis of Indiana Jones, he is the epitome of the latest 'hot' Hollywood trend of pushing weak, dorky, skinny, nerdy white boys into the forefront and attempting to cast them as 'leading men'.

We don't need metrosexuals, goofy tripping over their untied sneakers band dorks coming in to save the day; it's totally ridiculous. Get back to the bad ass mo fos, or at least make them refined if Hollywood absolutely can't stand the bad ass, rugged, gruff John Wayne archetype.

Hell, I'd rather see Will Smith playing some bastard jungle love child of Indy trying to fill his pop's shoes than Shia. What's next, DJ Qualls cast as the next Terminator cyborg?

I thought the trailer was great. Hard to believe Harrison Ford is 65, he has aged quite gracefully. I was originally worried that Indy would look ancient but he looks pretty much the same (probably a combination of plastic surgery and great makeup). Much better looking than Stallone in Rambo.

[quote name='Kendro']I thought the trailer was great. Hard to believe Harrison Ford is 65, he has aged quite gracefully. I was originally worried that Indy would look ancient but he looks pretty much the same (probably a combination of plastic surgery and great makeup). Much better looking than Stallone in Rambo.[/QUOTE]

He looks older, but he doesn't look that much older. He looks like 3 or 4 years older, :lol:

Well, like I said earlier, I can't fathom Shia's character getting a franchise, on account of his marquee-unfriendly name alone. "Mutt Ravenwood"?! I get the apparent joke (he was also named after the family dog, I'm assuming), but they'd have to bestow him with a new moniker first. Even then, this isn't like recasting Bond every few films. Harrison is Indy and Indy is Harrison. And both are icons of an age that has all but passed in Hollywood and in America, sadly.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Question about Indy's immortality. Didn't the knight say that the effects wear off if you leave the... special grail area?[/quote]

Yes. He wont be special anymore.

Looks great to me.

Please no more of those damned "walker of doom jokes" so old and lame.

If you go by The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Indy lives to be at least (roughly) 90-95 and loses an eye at some point after this film.

Midnight showing PLEASE!!!

I also hope that with the renewed interest in Indiana Jones, we will finally get a full release of the scores to Temple of Doom and Last Crusade? I have Raiders already but heard ToD never had a full US release or something like that.

[quote name='Kendro']I thought the trailer was great. Hard to believe Harrison Ford is 65, he has aged quite gracefully. I was originally worried that Indy would look ancient but he looks pretty much the same (probably a combination of plastic surgery and great makeup). Much better looking than Stallone in Rambo.[/quote]

Thats because Harrison never used Roids. ;)

I know this is going to be taken the completely wrong way, but I'm so glad that rumor about Scarlett Johansson playing his daughter (and heiress to the fedora, I guess) never came to fruition. That and Kevin Costner supposedly being his long-lost brother!

Nevertheless, I wonder if we'll ever get sufficient disclosure on the draft that Darabont wrote that Lucas rejected because it was too 'character-driven'. The guy seems pretty bitter about it all, and I'll bet he's not unjustified in his resentment. Who wants warmth and emotional resonance when you've got ILM at your beck and whim!

I was on IMDB.com for a hot minute. Saw a lot of hate re: the trailer and it's 'jokey tone.' So, to make sure I'm not bat-shit crazy, I watched some of the trailers for the older movies:

They are ALL possessed of a jokey-tone. That's the franchise. They are over-the-top serial franchise movies. The punches are way too loud [thwump] and before they are delivered the bad guys always sit and wait for the delivery. But shouldn't they be stunned -- Indy is whipping across tight ledges and landing plum next to you with the hello-elbow? Indy has been knockin' idiots out since '81, when he was 40ish. Nothing new here. He's always been old and weathered.

Personally, and I am a CGI hater, I thought the trailer looked pretty damn raw. My female co-worker who is my age (30) commented, "I don't care how old he is -- Harrison is hot as hell." Why pick on him for playing the aged action hero? IMO, he's more interesting and nuanced than the younger, hipper replacement Hollywood could easily conjure up. We live in a time (the first time?) where a 60ish male hero -might- end up being kick-ass.

Indy (Harrison's) first line in the new trailer assuaged me -- he acknowledges the fact he's older -- "Not as easy as it used to be." It's totally Jone's, guys.

bread's done
Back