Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gravity Rush 2 is out next week, so I decide to try and get the first game. 

Sold out eveyehere, and even worse, damn scalpers on eBay have it going for $150+

When did this game become a limited release? It only came out about a year ago. 

Sold out eveyehere, and even worse, damn scalpers on eBay have it going for $150+

The physical release was an Amazon Exclusive.

I'm glad I own a copy but damn that is depressing as fuck.

Gravity Rush was $20 on amazon for a while but nobody cares until last week or so.  The Asian English and Europe version are still around $40.

Gravity Rush was $20 on amazon for a while but nobody cares until last week or so. The Asian English and Europe version are still around $40.
Sucks how that happens. I have no interest in any other version than the North American one. I don't want to read subtitles the entire time.

Hoping it wasn't just a limited thing and comes back in stock eventually.

Makes no sense to have the second game physical widely available and not the first game.

Sucks how that happens. I have no interest in any other version than the North American one. I don't want to read subtitles the entire time.

Makes no sense to have the second game physical widely available and not the first game.
I really doubt this is going to get reprinted anytime soon considering the digital option is still around----I guess maybe if GR2 sells gangbusters, which I highly doubt. That said, this game is far from uncommon at the moment, despite what eBay is leading you to believe. Have you searched for used copies at Gamestop around your area? There's like 15 within a hundred mile radius of me and it's only $36 used with a PUR membership. Not a bad price.

There is no English dub, the game uses a made up language so you will be reading subtitle no matter what.

I really doubt this is going to get reprinted anytime soon considering the digital option is still around----I guess maybe if GR2 sells gangbusters, which I highly doubt. That said, this game is far from uncommon at the moment, despite what eBay is leading you to believe. Have you searched for used copies at Gamestop around your area? There's like 15 within a hundred mile radius of me and it's only $36 used with a PUR membership. Not a bad price.
Yeah it's nowhere near as rare as a Limited Run Game or anything, but it just seems really weird that a PlayStation exclusive is so hard to find. It should be readily available just like any other game. I think the best thing to do is just wait until the market settles.

Yes, I did try searching pre-owned on Gamestop. Nothing anywhere near me.

Gravity Rush was $20 on amazon for a while but nobody cares until last week or so. The Asian English and Europe version are still around $40.
I was waiting for it to drop down to $15 since I already beat it on Vita. Looks like amazon removed the listing for a physical copy which is weird. I only see digital but maybe I'm looking at the wrong link.

Edit: Found it. Not listed because there are 0 listings.

If you still have it, I may be interested....depending on the price.
It's one of the few PS4 games I actually kept, so I'll have to pass. There does seem to be a copy near me that I could pick up for you at gamestop though. PM me if you're interested.

It's one of the few PS4 games I actually kept, so I'll have to pass. There does seem to be a copy near me that I could pick up for you at gamestop though. PM me if you're interested.
Totally understand.

Sending you a PM. Thank you!

Gravity Rush? Really?

Doesn't beat the record for Devil's Third though.  Game wasn't even officially released for 24 hours yet and was already "SOLD OUT RARE $150+!!!1!1!!1!1!1!!"

Trying to collect even modern games is a pain in the ass with these asswipes.

Gravity Rush? Really?

Doesn't beat the record for Devil's Third though. Game wasn't even officially released for 24 hours yet and was already "SOLD OUT RARE $150+!!!1!1!!1!1!1!!"

Trying to collect even modern games is a pain in the ass with these asswipes.
I know man; it's ridiculous.

It wasn't. On PlayStation's website, it even links to Amazon and Gamestop. Best Buy just has digital codes now, but definitely had the physical version. I remember seeing it and so does a buddy of mine. Something we'll probably both regret not buying at the time.
Gamestop and BB never received new physical copies of the game. They both only had digital. You and your buddy are just mistaken.

Gamestop and BB never received new physical copies of the game. They both only had digital. You and your buddy are just mistaken.
Why, because you say so?

I saw what I saw.

You are the one who is mistaken.

Anyway, if anyone else finds Gravity Rush pre-owned in one of your local gamestops, and wouldn't mind picking it up, please PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Why, because you say so?

I saw what I saw.

You are the one who is mistaken.

Anyway, if anyone else finds Gravity Rush pre-owned in one of your local gamestops, and wouldn't mind picking it up, please PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
No, because not a single person here or elsewhere has confirmed your story nor is there any evidence of Best Buy having a dead listing for the physical which would be able to be found and the Gamestop listing is used only which would not be the case if they sold new copies at any point.

No, because not a single person here or elsewhere has confirmed your story nor is there any evidence of Best Buy having a dead listing for the physical which would be able to be found and the Gamestop listing is used only which would not be the case if they sold new copies at any point.
So, you're calling me a liar?

I don't like your tone, sir.

Move along.

So, you're calling me a liar?

I don't like your tone, sir.

Move along.
Here's what Brian from Best Buy Customer Service said in Best Buy's forums.

Re: Gravity Rush Remastered For PS4

Options

‎02-29-2016 02:59 PM

Hi All,

The Remastered version of Gravity Rush is available for purchase at Best Buy! However, please know that this is a Digital purchase and as of this moment, it’s only available to be purchased at a Best Buy location.

You can see the product page by clicking here!

So, you're mistaken. Being mistaken is not the same as being a liar.

"AS OF THIS MOMENT"

Time to block.

There's always someone who will go to the ends of the Earth to try and prove people wrong.

That's sad. I'm sorry your life sucks.

"AS OF THIS MOMENT"

Time to block.

There's always someone who will go to the ends of the Earth to try and prove people wrong.

That's sad. I'm sorry your life sucks.
It looks like the "as of this moment" part is referring to its availability in store only. It does seem likely you and your friend were mistaken though.

It looks like the "as of this moment" part is referring to its availability in store only. It does seem likely you and your friend were mistaken though.
Again, my friend and I saw what we saw.

Can we seriously just move on?

Again, my friend and I saw what we saw.

Can we seriously just move on?
At this point it is up to you to show some proof other than what I saw. If you can provide a receipt or invoice from USA Best Buy or Gamestop for a NEW copy, I will personally send you a new copy from ebay.

At this point it is up to you to show some proof other than what I saw. If you can provide a receipt or invoice from USA Best Buy or Gamestop for a NEW copy, I will personally send you a new copy from ebay.
Don't you'd think I'd like to?

Then I wouldn't be complaining, because I'D ACTUALLY HAVE THE GAME!

What I have found is this, straight from PlayStation. Under the Buy Disc section, Amazon AND Gamestop are listed. Doesn't solve Best Buy, but...

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/gravity-rush-remastered-ps4/

What I have found is this, straight from PlayStation. Under the Buy Disc section, Amazon AND Gamestop are listed. Doesn't solve Best Buy, but...

The link pops up with Gamestop's used price and takes you to Gamestop's listing that's only has a used listing.

It does seem like you might need to let this one go. I'm not sure you're going to convince anyone with "I saw it" and no proof while all the other evidence points to the contrary.

I can't vouch for Gamestop but the physical wasn't available at Bestbuy. I ended up buying from Amazon last year at release because I couldn't find it at Bestbuy.

The link pops up with Gamestop's used price and takes you to Gamestop's listing that's only has a used listing.

It does seem like you might need to let this one go. I'm not sure you're going to convince anyone with "I saw it" and no proof while all the other evidence points to the contrary.
Yes, I'm aware. I'm fucking aware. At the time of release, however, that link would have shown differently.

Jesus, what is it with you guys? Do I have to block everyone?

Let's see if Caps will help me be more clear :

Again, I WAS NEVER TRYING TO CONVINCE ANY OF YOU!!!

You all kept trying to find the truth for yourselves, and got all swept up in that, which took away from my original comments.

THE ONLY POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE WAS THAT THE GAME IS NOW SOLD OUT. PERIOD.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm fucking aware. At the time of release, however, that link would have shown differently.

Jesus, what is it with you guys? Do I have to block everyone?

Let's see if Caps will help me be more clear :

Again, I WAS NEVER TRYING TO CONVINCE ANY OF YOU!!!

You all kept trying to find the truth for yourselves, and got all swept up in that, which took away from my original comments.

THE ONLY POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE WAS THAT THE GAME IS NOW SOLD OUT. PERIOD.
Nope, you picked a fight with people trying to help you narrow your search because you refuse to accept the truth that you made a mistake in what you thought you saw. But please, feel free to block everyone who has tried to help you and hopefully you start missing out on deals as we're generally the ones that try to help out fellow CAGs.

Ah. What's that? I don't hear anything. Peace and quiet. How nice.

Feels great not having people around who just swoop in and try to prove you wrong, with their nasty tones.

Love it.

:)

I think the point you might be missing is that there's no evidence to indicate that.

I know if it had been available around release (or for pre-order) at Best Buy I would have ordered it there but it wasn't so I ordered from Amazon.

Is it possible you saw one of those cards they sometimes display to buy the digital versions? I'm not sure if that's still a thing though.

Look, for the last time....I saw what I saw, and I was never trying to convince anyone of it. Believe what you want. I don't care. Never did.

Now how about we just forget the past few hours ever happened?

Boy I wish I could.

My post talking about Gravity Rush turned into a monster and that was something I never intended.

I don't know why people are so blood-thirsty for being right all the time. It's sickening that that's what my post turned in to instead of just normal discussion.

popcorn.gif

Anyone played Lichdom: Battlemage since the game was patched? It's a budget PS4 game I've been considering, but the early reviews and videos made it seem unplayable. I know that the game is commonly available for $19.99 or less, but have been holding off for a lower price.

Got my brother to ask about a restock for Gravity Rush on PS4 and he got a reply

https://twitter.com/Nikoro/status/821163402831593472

that reminds me, i preordered by copy of gravity rush from amazon too... which is rare cause i prefer to preorder for pickup at best buy.

I finally bought Assault Suit Leynos for PS4 tonight after flipping some commons at GameStop. It was the last copy in the store, so it was gutted, but I didn't get angry because this is one of the few PS4 games that I've actually been looking forward to playing other than Persona 5, and I could use trade credit to buy it. The budget PS4/Xbox game era reminds me a lot of when I would find those random PS1 and PS2 budget games that I had never heard of and really enjoyed playing when I finally got around to it. Sometimes, it's just nice to find a hidden gem to play and know that you're one of a few people who has been fortunate enough to own a copy. I also saw Lumo new for $14.99, and I'm considering buying that one as well. Any thoughts?

bread's done
Back