Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone get an e-mail from Strictly Limited about Coffee talk coming-out? I'm subscribed to their newsletter but I didn't hear anything from them. I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it announced hear.
I got an email

Weird, I rentered my e-mail details on my account with them, and got the e-mail about the second batch, but never received the first one. Oh well, thanks for responding.
tbh their email about the first batch said 'coming out in ONE HOUR' but was sent at the time when the release was actually going live, so may not have helped you anyway

Hard Copy games just put up a limited preorder bundle for their next four PS4 games. Klaus, Electronic Super Joy 2, Volgarr the Viking, and Speaking Simulator.

Has anyone heard if Pathologic 2 is getting a physical release for PS4?

I'd tempted to grab it on PSN (it's currently on sale) but if it has a confirmed physical release on the way I can definitely wait.

This is a great game. I played it on Gamepass and I loved it.

I ordered a Switch copy for the collection. Can't wait to play it again on Switch.

Hope best buy will get Creature in Well
The fact that both listings say "Only available at iam8bit.com" and have a 2000-copy print run might mean it won't appear there--neither Wattam nor Kentucky Route Zero have that phrase or a print-run mentioned, and Wattam already appeared at Best Buy.

I didn’t think Nintendo approved any runs under 4,000 for Switch, It makes me think they might be holding it back for retail release as well.

I didn’t think Nintendo approved any runs under 4,000 for Switch, It makes me think they might be holding it back for retail release as well.
Yeah, they say on the product page that retailers will be getting a non-limited variant. They have the same "not guaranteed" warning that LRG usually sticks on listings with their Best Buy deals...

I just got it from iam8bit because I don't wanna worry about remembering it later. They still owe me like 3 other games which I'm kinda not happy about, but their extras always are good enough for me.

Are anyone else's smaller/indie orders on Amazon getting cancelled? So far I've had Warborn  and Azure Striker Gunvolt get cancelled with no further explanation.

The only small/indie game I have on preorder with Amazon is Cat Quest 2 (switch) (Cat Quest + Cat Quest 2 Pawsome Pack).  It stopped being available for preorder a while back, but it's still looking good that I'll get my copy.  The release date was pushed to July 31st.  Not sure if that's a holding date or not.   Hopefully it still happens as it's the one indie I've looked forward to more than any others.

Are anyone else's smaller/indie orders on Amazon getting cancelled? So far I've had Warborn and Azure Striker Gunvolt get cancelled with no further explanation.
I'm getting a lot of release dates being pushed back. I just received an email today that Dungeon of Endless is being pushed out to 6/23.

I didn't order it from Amazon though I ordered from Best Buy. Most of the small indie games I ordered at Best Buy got new release dates recently. Wonderful 101 to 6/30, Cat Quest 2 to 7/31 and Ministry of Broadcast to 10/6.

These are the last of my GCU purchases.

Interesting, I figured that cart would have needed to be done already. There hasn’t been 3DS releases in months, would make sense if assembly is winding down.

from playasia.com 

Exclusives: Shipping & Pricing Updates Going Forward

Over the past year we have been closely monitoring our pricing and shipping policies and the restrictions they place on us as a company as well as the titles released through our store. After much consideration we will be making changes to our policies that we feel will give us the best plan towards a memorable and collectable series of releases.

Free shipping will no longer be an available option for PLAY Exclusives (PAEX) titles going forward. This is the biggest change, but one that removes many layers of complexity. Please note that this will not have an effect on existing PAEX titles, which will remain as originally advertised, and will not affect existing orders in any way.

Alongside this news we will also be making a reduction in our target pricing for future Switch limited edition physical releases. The new target price will be US$34.99, down from US$39.99, now matching PS4 and Vita LE releases. These target prices exist to give our customers a reasonable expectation of what an average title in our collection may cost. However, as always, the final price point will be largely determined by the scope of the release and is in no way guaranteed to match the target price.

from playasia.com

Exclusives: Shipping & Pricing Updates Going Forward

Over the past year we have been closely monitoring our pricing and shipping policies and the restrictions they place on us as a company as well as the titles released through our store. After much consideration we will be making changes to our policies that we feel will give us the best plan towards a memorable and collectable series of releases.

Free shipping will no longer be an available option for PLAY Exclusives (PAEX) titles going forward. This is the biggest change, but one that removes many layers of complexity. Please note that this will not have an effect on existing PAEX titles, which will remain as originally advertised, and will not affect existing orders in any way.

Alongside this news we will also be making a reduction in our target pricing for future Switch limited edition physical releases. The new target price will be US$34.99, down from US$39.99, now matching PS4 and Vita LE releases. These target prices exist to give our customers a reasonable expectation of what an average title in our collection may cost. However, as always, the final price point will be largely determined by the scope of the release and is in no way guaranteed to match the target price.
And with that, my chances of buying future PLAY Exclusives dropped substantially. If only Play-Asia would reduce their cheapest shipping option down from ~$7.

I've mainly used Play-asia for Asian English releases. Honestly not the best prices, though I have gotten my stuff. One thing got sent a week or two ago from who knows where because it's not tracking. I'll see if I ever end up with the package in hand. I also have a thing in limbo from South Korea, so that's always fun. 

I've mainly used Play-asia for Asian English releases. Honestly not the best prices, though I have gotten my stuff. One thing got sent a week or two ago from who knows where because it's not tracking. I'll see if I ever end up with the package in hand. I also have a thing in limbo from South Korea, so that's always fun.
I'm still waiting on my Odallus PS4 which shipped April 1st to Canada.

I think their current cheapest to the US is $19 due to the Corona Virus.
Made a purchase last week (two PS4 games), options were $12 standard shipping or $17 expedited. Thought it was a little high so I switched to one item to see if it'd be cheaper to ship individually (stranger things have happened) and it was $9 standard or $17 expedited.

Price definitely depends on what you're buying - figures or other bulky merchandise will raise that number quickly. Don't know if there would be a difference for a Vita vs. Switch vs. PS4 game. Location inside the US might make a difference too - for reference I'm in the Midwest.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (physical copy for Nintendo Switch) is available for pre-order at Best Buy incase anyone is interested in securing a copy for their collection. $29.99 retail price.[attachment=34050:BEE7730B-EB49-4C81-87F4-D0A0CA3EB270.jpeg]

Made a purchase last week (two PS4 games), options were $12 standard shipping or $17 expedited. Thought it was a little high so I switched to one item to see if it'd be cheaper to ship individually (stranger things have happened) and it was $9 standard or $17 expedited.

Price definitely depends on what you're buying - figures or other bulky merchandise will raise that number quickly. Don't know if there would be a difference for a Vita vs. Switch vs. PS4 game. Location inside the US might make a difference too - for reference I'm in the Midwest.
I used a single Switch game in my cart yesterday to check and it only game me the $19 express option to the Los Angeles area. I think if that's all they are offering, my days of buying what are pretty mediocre releases from them are over.

I used a single Switch game in my cart yesterday to check and it only game me the $19 express option to the Los Angeles area. I think if that's all they are offering, my days of buying what are pretty mediocre releases from them are over.
Just added a random Switch game to my cart and went to checkout to test it. For reference, this is the game I added.

fgh74rd.png

They're either disabling Economy/Standard by location (even within the US) or by item. Either way it doesn't really make a ton of sense. Also seems like Switch game shipping may be higher than PS4 game shipping for whatever reason. I wish I could say I was surprised, but their site has always been kinda buggy.

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition is up for preorder at Best Buy.  Was able to lock in a preorder before my GCU expire 

Announced yesterday:
https://twitter.com/specialreserves/status/1263922590424412161?s=19
This is also currently on sale on the eShop for $0.99.

Such a scam lol.
Nah Special Reserve makes good stuff, but buying it digitally first is a good way to figure out if you like it enough to want a physical copy. Also good for the collectors who like to keep their games sealed. Or for anyone who doesn't care about physical in the first place. So it's good for pretty much everybody.

Ugh I ordered black future 88 in the b2g1 deal and it didn't ship. I really wanna play it hopefully I'm not screwed. Goddamn gamestop.

Physicality Games has completely changed their business model. You can now preorder any of their games with a $5 deposit instead of paying in full. They're definitely worth taking a look at now. I put my order in for Rolling Gunner.

Physicality Games has completely changed their business model. You can now preorder any of their games with a $5 deposit instead of paying in full. They're definitely worth taking a look at now. I put my order in for Rolling Gunner.
I'd never heard of them till rolling gunner a month or so ago. So fuck it, I gave them a chance and got it.

bread's done
Back