Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, super rare at 5000 copies? Are these "limited" game places even trying anymore? Is this name the best they could come up with, and then on top of it, offer 5000 copies of a game like this.

I don't see much hope for these guys long term, as they have no idea what "super rare" is, as it damn sure ain't 5000. The game has pretty solid reviews I guess for what it is, but I still don't see 5000 hammering down the door to get a copy, especially when there's 5000 to choose from.

"Super Rare Games"  lmao

Awesome derivative company.  Did a 10-year-old come up with that name?

If I was LRG I would be so annoyed with all these derivatives.  They won't publicly say so, but I'd still be annoyed.  Any way you slice it, it's causing waning interest in these products.  In any case, it's probably good for us as consumers because now everyone has to step it up a notch.

"Super Rare Games" lmao

Awesome derivative company. Did a 10-year-old come up with that name?

If I was LRG I would be so annoyed with all these derivatives. They won't publicly say so, but I'd still be annoyed. Any way you slice it, it's causing waning interest in these products. In any case, it's probably good for us as consumers because now everyone has to step it up a notch.
LRG is just as guilty smashing this limited release idea into the ground; they are probably the greediest in the game.

Bring on the competition. Maybe one of them will release a game I want. So far, only SLG has released something I would want besides LRG. 

only have the switch version ordered, is it amazon exclusive in NA? don't seem to see it on any other retailers
I'm not sure. It's being handled by Merge Games (the Signature Edition people), so I wouldn't put it beyond them to make it exclusive to their store.

Not sure if mentioned yet but a UK company called Super Rare Games popped up with their first Switch limited game. It's Human: Fall Flat with 5000 copies for £24.99.

https://superraregames.com/products/game-testing-2?variant=10533959827499

Thank goodness I'm not a fan of the game and am resisting anything but games I'm hyped for on the Switch.
I feel like market saturation is hitting critical mass, and these companies aren't particularly customer-friendly. Easy pass for me, but I feel bad for those trapped in the "must buy rare games" mindset; it's a vicious cycle.

Meanwhile, Amazon canceled my order of Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition.
Same here. No clue why.

LRG is just as guilty smashing this limited release idea into the ground; they are probably the greediest in the game.
You do know that the "limited" in LRG refers to each release being limited, and not the releases in general right? If they released 10 games a month, with the limits being in the few thousand range, each game is still very much "limited".

As far as that so called "greed" goes, they have been cancelling tons of games, so that guys like you are happy. Which IMO is just about the dumbest shit they ever did, as the ones with issues, will just trade one problem for another. The crying/bitching from that group will never end, so I honestly don't see the need in trying to stop it to begin with, but to each his own I suppose.

more shovelware prz

giphy.gif

hmmm maybe i should make a company called Extremely Rare Games. limited to 100 copies. mobile games ported to Vita. Vita collectors gonna buy no matter what price.

You do know that the "limited" in LRG refers to each release being limited, and not the releases in general right? If they released 10 games a month, with the limits being in the few thousand range, each game is still very much "limited".

As far as that so called "greed" goes, they have been cancelling tons of games, so that guys like you are happy. Which IMO is just about the dumbest shit they ever did, as the ones with issues, will just trade one problem for another. The crying/bitching from that group will never end, so I honestly don't see the need in trying to stop it to begin with, but to each his own I suppose.
theyll just complain bout y no preorders

Cheapass Rare Games

Who wants a copy of Bubsy for PS4? Less than 500 sold I'm guessing. Get them before a rumor starts that they were buried in the desert.

Anyone know if we are getting a SONIC MANIA on switch? I heard rumors before.... but I haven't heard anything recently. 

Haven't heard anything in awhile, was bummed when the collectors edition was just a download code
Yeah, this was a perfect example of a company just having "no clue".

I completely understand not releasing a physical game for a franchise where you have no idea that fans will return to or not. After so many years of Sonic games that where mostly on the bottom end of garbage, that was probably the best way to go honestly.

But on the other hand, you release a CE with some cool items, but no physical game. This is another concept that I've heard explained over the years, but don't really follow. As the companies in question say it makes the bundle cheaper to offer no game, but no true collector is of that mind set. So it's still kinda of confusing as to why some of this stuff is done, as it defies any sound logic, but so is life I suppose.

Coming soon, Signature Shitty Shovelware!

50 copies per game, and get this.. not one.. not two.. but THREE alternate cover art for each game. We'll sell the least shitty cover art version at PAX and then put 10 copies up on our site for those that miss out.

We'll also include trading cards. You've got a 5% chance of not getting one that's poop stained. For our collectors editions all but 5 copies will come with ACTUAL poop. Don't worry though, we know you won't open it so you'll never have to see/smell the poop.

Was that too much?

Well, if nothing else, Super Rare Games has a HUGE pair(brass balls), as this seems a pipe dream at best.

https://twitter.com/sonicx9us/status/966051320711995394

Well, if nothing else, Super Rare Games has a HUGE pair(brass balls), as this seems a pipe dream at best.

https://twitter.com/sonicx9us/status/966051320711995394
I think that's just their way of a polite response, or to give people false hope so they keep checking future releases. They probably thought it was better than flat out saying "no" lol. If capcom wanted those games to have physical releases, they'd produce them themselves.

I think that's just their way of a polite response, or to give people false hope so they keep checking future releases. They probably thought it was better than flat out saying "no" lol. If capcom wanted those games to have physical releases, they'd produce them themselves.
Yeah, I agree 100% with you on that. As saying there's no hope(which was the correct answer to give), would have pretty much shown how mickey mouse they are. But to say "we can see what we can do", leaves a glimmer of hope for those poor bastards out there who don't know any better. LOL

https://twitter.com/SuperRareGames/status/966313393740238848

So....copy LRGs model, then get butt-hurt when a pre-existing LRG ad gets search engine priority over your new company. Not impressed.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-20-super-rare-games-bringing-limited-edition-indie-games-to-nintendo-switch

Herein lies another motivation behind the founding of Super Rare Games: the chance for Perkins and his collector friends to "fix some of the mistakes" they believe are made by the likes of Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games et al.

"Our competitors are just trying to sign as much content as possible, whereas we're being much more picky, looking for the very best games that we've played, we've loved and we want to see [as part of this collection]," he says.

"We're trying to create the highest quality products available. Simple things like having pretty box art, having this gorgeous thing you can put on your shelf - I think that's something that's lacking from other competitors."

https://twitter.com/SuperRareGames/status/966313393740238848

So....copy LRGs model, then get butt-hurt when a pre-existing LRG ad gets search engine priority over your new company. Not impressed.
So, Human: Fall Flat is supposed to be some awesome game then? Right. It looks worse than about 80% of LRG's offerings and will have a hard time selling 2000 copies, let alone 5000. Glad its a European release so I am not obligated to buy this garbage.

Speaking of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, anyone know why Amazon appears to have two legitimate listings for it?

This is the first one, the one that came out a few months ago where the list price was $19.99. Now there is just a 3rd party selling it for $29.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Curse-Brotherhood-PlayStation-4/dp/B07894CR2X/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1519023957&sr=1-1&keywords=max+the+curse+of+brotherhood

Then there is this listing, which is listed as a preorder to launch 4/24. Appears to be from the publisher Wired Productions and the list price is $29.99. Since Amazon doesn't usually list imports as preorders I am assuming this is also a R1 ESRB-rated game:

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Curse-Brotherhood-PlayStation-4/dp/B079T7729S/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1519023957&sr=1-3&keywords=max+the+curse+of+brotherhood
Regarding Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, I saw something interesting while browsing the Gamestop upcoming release calendar. They don't have a PS4 listing coming out on 4/24, but they do have a Switch version listed as coming out then. I'm wondering if the 2nd Amazon listing is showing PS4 in error, and should be Switch. That would also explain the price hike to $29.99. Guess we shall see.

So, Human: Fall Flat is supposed to be some awesome game then? Right. It looks worse than about 80% of LRG's offerings and will have a hard time selling 2000 copies, let alone 5000. Glad its a European release so I am not obligated to buy this garbage.
10000+ reviews and very positive on steam. It doesn't look like my kind of game either but c'mon dude.

10000+ reviews and very positive on steam. It doesn't look like my kind of game either but c'mon dude.
Yeah it's a very popular game on Steam. A few of my friends have recommended it to me and claim it to be a fun multiplayer physics puzzler. I'm sure it won't appeal to everyone but it's not a terrible game to launch with. I think SRG's shitty attitude is turning everyone off lol

Yeah, I thought it was a solid title to start with. If I was grabbing most decent NS games, it would be on my list, as it looks like a game I would like. Sadly, there is just to much already coming to the NS in physical form, so I'm already having to put on the brakes. The Vita still gets most of my buying dollars, so if physical there dries up soon, I'm happy to move over to NS collecting. But for now, it's gotta be one system at a time, and only must have titles across other systems.

Yeah it's a very popular game on Steam. A few of my friends have recommended it to me and claim it to be a fun multiplayer physics puzzler. I'm sure it won't appeal to everyone but it's not a terrible game to launch with. I think SRG's shitty attitude is turning everyone off lol
Yeah, after reading that article, "shitty" attitude seems the order of the day. SRG actually sounds like 90% of the "captains of industry" we have around here. As everyone else seems to be wrong, while SRG knows how to do it right.

At the moment I'll just wish them well, as more physical options is never a bad thing, but I would recommend a more humble attitude in the future. They have done jack shit so far, so until something actually ships, it might be better to take a more "learning" from others attitude. When shit goes wrong(and it will), no one is going to cut much slack when you have a "know it all" at the wheel.

Holy shit, super rare at 5000 copies? Are these "limited" game places even trying anymore? Is this name the best they could come up with, and then on top of it, offer 5000 copies of a game like this.

I don't see much hope for these guys long term, as they have no idea what "super rare" is, as it damn sure ain't 5000. The game has pretty solid reviews I guess for what it is, but I still don't see 5000 hammering down the door to get a copy, especially when there's 5000 to choose from.
5000 in the retail market is super rare. I think 5000 is the lowest print Switch game so far. Retro City Rampage DX had a larger print than this. It's possible 5000 is the minimum order with Nintendo and getting games with lower prints may just not happen. We'll see as the market evolves.

Either way, I'm just watching from the sideline. Thankfully there aren't too many indie games left that I legitimately want a physical copy. I'm glad Wonderboy went regular retail for the switch.

5000 in the retail market is super rare.
I agree wholeheartedly, but this venture is not retail, it's a niche online offering. I also agree that 5000 may be the NS minimum order qty's, but that doesn't change the fact of how many games are being offered as super rare.

Super rare would be Mr. Boston Clean Sweep for the Vectrex, where I believe 5-8 copies are known to exist in the world. I would even say a game of a few thousand on a system that has sold over 100 million would also be super rare. A game of 5000 on a system with 12 million is far from rare, and saying it's "super" is pushing it. LOL

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the qty counter? As it was at 65% yesterday, and now it's gone. Seems a way to hide the facts of this endeavor as well. Another pause for me personally.

67-70% metacritic. But they are European so the exhange rate is 1.25 from US to Europe.

So really the reviews are 84-88%.

HIGHEST QUALITY INDEED

Human: Fall Flat has a 90% overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam, which is very strong.  Then it has a 65-69% meta rating on PS4, Switch, and Xbox but with only six to eight reviews.   However the metacritic on PC is also showing 69% with 20 reviews.   That is a pretty large disparity that doesn't make any sense. 

It's not a bad game at all. I don't think it is anything special though, but I would say it is better than quite a few of LRGs releases especially some of the more recent ones.

Super rare would be Mr. Boston Clean Sweep for the Vectrex, where I believe 5-8 copies are known to exist in the world. I would even say a game of a few thousand on a system that has sold over 100 million would also be super rare. A game of 5000 on a system with 12 million is far from rare, and saying it's "super" is pushing it. LOL

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the qty counter? As it was at 65% yesterday, and now it's gone. Seems a way to hide the facts of this endeavor as well. Another pause for me personally.
Mr. Boston Clean Sweep would be considered Extremely Rare or even Ultra Rare. It was also a promotional item and not a regular released game. That's far beyond the typical rarity found. With modern game companies minimum order requirements, I doubt we'll have any games that rare again outside of maybe the PC market where there's no control over the production size.

I noticed the counter disappeared too. It was selling well last I looked, so it's possible they oversold the 5K and the code for it hit an error. If I were more interested I'd dig through the coding on the site... but I'm not.

Keep an eye out for my company "Even Rarer Games"  coming Summer '18

we're going to sell random digital games you didn't even know you wanted. 

Job Simulator list 2/21

Code:
Fashion Crossing - North Attleboro, MA 02760 - PreOwned
Chelsea Commons - Chelsea, MA 02150 - PreOwned
Bangor Parkade - Bangor, ME 04401 - PreOwned
Sussex Plaza - Seaford, DE 19973 - PreOwned
The Commons MD - SALISBURY, MD 21801 - PreOwned
Jersey Garden Mll GS - Elizabeth, NJ 07201 - PreOwned
Hylan Plaza S/C - Staten Island, NY 10306 - PreOwned
Veirs Mill Road - Wheaton, MD 20902 - PreOwned
SWM Silver Moon - Lewisburg, PA 17837 - PreOwned
North Hills - RALEIGH, NC 27609 - PreOwned
The Commons - Martinsburg, WV 25403 - PreOwned
Mary Walter Plaza - PARKERSBURG, WV 26101 - PreOwned
Massillon Mrktplc - Massillon, OH 44646 - PreOwned
SWM Kroger State St. - Athens, OH 45701 - PreOwned
SWM Colby Station - Winchester, KY 40391 - PreOwned
Troy Towne Center - TROY, OH 45373 - PreOwned
WalMart Plz TN - Manchester, TN 37355 - PreOwned
Florence Center - FLORENCE, AL 35630 - PreOwned
Calumet Center - MUNSTER, IN 46321 - PreOwned
SWM Mt. Vernon - Mt. Vernon, IL 62864 - PreOwned
Elmwood Center - New Orleans, LA 70123 - PreOwned
Central Plaza S/C - Baton Rouge, LA 70818 - PreOwned
South Lake Centre - SOUTHAVEN, MS 38671 - PreOwned
Katy Mills - KATY, TX 77494 - PreOwned
Yukon SWM - Yukon, OK 73099 - PreOwned
Clovis Retail Center - Clovis, NM 88101 - PreOwned
Superstition Gateway - Mesa, AZ 85209 - PreOwned
Westland Fair - Las Vegas, NV 89102 - PreOwned
Banner Center - Spokane Valley, WA 99037 - PreOwned
Yuba City MrktPlc - Yuba City, CA 95993 - PreOwned

Keep an eye out for my company "Even Rarer Games" coming Summer '18

we're going to sell random digital games you didn't even know you wanted.
I'll be launching "Even Rarer-er Games" Fall of 2018. I feel we will be positioned to uniquely provide content that will expand the boundaries of what rarity is.

Bailout!

My company will be called Secret of Mana and Job Simulator Games. You can buy Job Simulator and Secret of Mana on the website, thus limiting the amount of annoying posts about them because now everyone will be able to get a copy.

Shitty time to be a UK/PEGI region collector. Most of these collector exploiting limited release hysteria machines popping up daily seem to be UK so far. LRG seems to have a monopoly on the NA ESRB limited release game. We only had Special Reserve pop up but they might as well be part of LRG so far. 

And we also have these dumb UK companies starting to go for exclusives on NA/ESRB releases (Rice.co and now Sig Ed Games, etc). Stick to your region jerkbags.  UK only company has no business hoarding ESRB/NA exclusives other than to be complete dicks.

Bailout!

My company will be called Secret of Mana and Job Simulator Games. You can buy Job Simulator and Secret of Mana on the website, thus limiting the amount of annoying posts about them because now everyone will be able to get a copy.
Will you have cover variants?

Does "Generic Gamestop Used Case" count as a cover variant?
The limited edition version will include a reversible cover with a throwback "Funcoland" logo. Each copy will include the name of the game written in sharpie pen by a Gamestop part-time employee making the federal minimum wage.

The limited edition version will include a reversible cover with a throwback "Funcoland" logo. Each copy will include the name of the game written in sharpie pen by a Gamestop part-time employee making the federal minimum wage.
And don't forget the titles will be spelled wrong as well. LOL

If you can match this level of quality, I'm all in

6m5xq3dfclfz.jpg

I'd have to use a random number generator to determine when games shipped. Also only 35% of games would actually have a disc in the case. The rest would have a blank CD-R. 

"Risky Limited Games - You'll eventually get your shit*"

*Maybe

I'm gonna start one, get a minimum print and get games officially on the Sony/Nintendo release database, then destroy all copies on arrival, and just screw up everybody's collections forever so we can stop this once and for all. Prioritizing new consoles the first week they come out before anyone has time to get invested.

It will pay for itself from all the lrg and metal jesus types and their followers generating traffic to my YouTube to leave nasty comments to my fire pit videos ruining collecting for everybody.

Scorched Earth mother fuckers.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-20-super-rare-games-bringing-limited-edition-indie-games-to-nintendo-switch

Herein lies another motivation behind the founding of Super Rare Games: the chance for Perkins and his collector friends to "fix some of the mistakes" they believe are made by the likes of Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games et al.

"Our competitors are just trying to sign as much content as possible, whereas we're being much more picky, looking for the very best games that we've played, we've loved and we want to see [as part of this collection]," he says.

"We're trying to create the highest quality products available. Simple things like having pretty box art, having this gorgeous thing you can put on your shelf - I think that's something that's lacking from other competitors."
Depends on what they fix.

Will they give me better games?

Will shipping be better?

Will communication be better?

Will they have JPN games?

Or they all just indie titles ?

:whistle2:k :whistle2:k

I don't know why they would go with trading cards. ><

bread's done
Back