Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, it sounds like there was a replication error and the "pack" doesn't include either the DLC or the original game on disc.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Did some searching and it seems the developer is aware of the issue and they are working with the publisher (505 Games) to get a game replacement program set up, or something to that effect. Guess I will just wait for now until more concrete info is known.

I ordered Darkest Dungeon for Switch from Signature Edition Games, then asked to cancel when I realized there would be a R1 release available on Amazon and Best Buy. It took three emails to get them to acknowledge and cancel, and I got my refund.

Then on Friday, I still received a copy of Darkest Dungeon from Signature Edition Games! I emailed to offer to return it if they'd send me a shipping label, but we'll see if they do.

I ordered Darkest Dungeon for Switch from Signature Edition Games, then asked to cancel when I realized there would be a R1 release available on Amazon and Best Buy. It took three emails to get them to acknowledge and cancel, and I got my refund.

Then on Friday, I still received a copy of Darkest Dungeon from Signature Edition Games! I emailed to offer to return it if they'd send me a shipping label, but we'll see if they do.
I dealt with SEG for Slain, so it was pretty early on, and the CS at the time was top notch, but I think they only had 1-2 titles at the time. I received a damaged order, and a replacement was sent ASAP and had bullet proof packaging for the replacement. So where my order was damaged, I have dealt with several UK based places, and they never have had me send something back(damaged or normal), as the shipping cost would negate sending it back.

Report back when you hear something, but unless you got an expensive rare CE set that is no longer offered, I doubt they'll bother having you send back a standard game copy. As the cost of shipping(especially a return), isn't going to be worth it most of the time from a business standpoint.

I dealt with SEG for Slain, so it was pretty early on, and the CS at the time was top notch, but I think they only had 1-2 titles at the time. I received a damaged order, and a replacement was sent ASAP and had bullet proof packaging for the replacement. So where my order was damaged, I have dealt with several UK based places, and they never have had me send something back(damaged or normal), as the shipping cost would negate sending it back.

Report back when you hear something, but unless you got an expensive rare CE set that is no longer offered, I doubt they'll bother having you send back a standard game copy. As the cost of shipping(especially a return), isn't going to be worth it most of the time from a business standpoint.
Their customer service is pretty terrible now. I received a damaged copy of Count Lucanor for Switch. I contacted them and it took a week to get an initial response and then they wanted photos of the damage and even after I sent them immediately, it took five or six more e-mails to get confirmation that they shipped the replacement. Then, the replacement was shipped in the same crappy fold-over packaging and showed up totally flattened. I just gave up after that. Of course, I had Long Reach on preorder as well and that one just showed up crushed as well. I'm done with buying their "Signature Editions" as they don't know how to pack and their customer service sucks.

Their customer service is pretty terrible now. I received a damaged copy of Count Lucanor for Switch. I contacted them and it took a week to get an initial response and then they wanted photos of the damage and even after I sent them immediately, it took five or six more e-mails to get confirmation that they shipped the replacement. Then, the replacement was shipped in the same crappy fold-over packaging and showed up totally flattened. I just gave up after that. Of course, I had Long Reach on preorder as well and that one just showed up crushed as well. I'm done with buying their "Signature Editions" as they don't know how to pack and their customer service sucks.
Yeah, that sucks to hear, as hate to see any business not offering proper support.

When they first offered Slain, I ordered a copy, then decided to grab another, so I requested that both orders be combined. I didn't care about the cost, I just wanted to insure both where sent together to hopefully reduce damages. Well, the guy I originally heard from said no problem, and if I had any issues to contact him back.

Of course both where shipped separately, and one arrived smashed, so I contacted him back, and within 24 hrs a new one was being shipped, and it was packed proper the second time. Yeah, they never asked me for pics, but since I had already spoke to that one guy, he knew if shit arrived damaged, I was coming back to him personally.

I agree, those mailers they use are complete shit, but honestly, most of the stuff I get from the UK comes in similarly bad shipping boxes/mailers. I only had one other order with them since, and that one arrived OK, but the same box was used, just didn't get smashed this time. But the boxes they use, I have to assume cause damages more often than not. I actually use a similar style of mailer for books I sell(much thicker and well made) and it works awesome, but it's not for bigger thicker items. If the item included is to big, it can take a lot of damage, when smaller items arrive perfect each time.

Just another reason why I don't like to buy any games from overseas. They usually need to be packed extremely well to survive the trip intact and I imagine returning any damaged ones would be a pain in the ass. I will say Play-Asia definitely packs their stuff well, so I will continue to order from them. I have yet to receive damaged goods from them.

Just another reason why I don't like to buy any games from overseas. They usually need to be packed extremely well to survive the trip intact and I imagine returning any damaged ones would be a pain in the ass. I will say Play-Asia definitely packs their stuff well, so I will continue to order from them. I have yet to receive damaged goods from them.
I agree on Play Asia. The cardboard they use in their shipping boxes just feels different than other companies. It's like it has an added springiness and even when I've occasionally received outer shipping boxes from them that look damaged, the actual contents are fine.

Yeah, Play-Asia CS is probably equal parts shit, but yeah, at least they make sure you don't have to deal with them. LOL

All my orders have arrived from them in great shape, and they have some custom Amiibo boxes they use that should have been offered in the states. I use Paypal for all these international places, so if and when an issue is that bad, I'll just go thru PP and solve the issue. Hopefully it never comes to that, but plan B none the less.

Speaking of customer service, does NIS ever actually respond to their store email support? Had a bonus item missing from an order about a year ago. Sent two emails and never got a reply. Just recently I received someone else's order entirely and have sent two emails and again haven't received a reply.

Speaking of customer service, does NIS ever actually respond to their store email support? Had a bonus item missing from an order about a year ago. Sent two emails and never got a reply. Just recently I received someone else's order entirely and have sent two emails and again haven't received a reply.
They used to but it sometimes took an email or two.

Thanks - I was close to ordering Count Lucanor from them but was hesitant since I wasn't sure what the packaging was like. I kind of recall reading some negative comments a while back, but couldn't find them. Given the price gap between the standard edition and their "Signature Edition", I'm not going to risk it arriving smashed.

NIS used to have a phone line and actually respond to e-mails within the same day. Since the hack and maybe before that, their customer service can take up to a week to respond to e-mails if they respond at all. I was an unlucky victim of the credit card hack and essentially I have had to pay via Paypal every time one of my preorders comes due because they refuse to update my credit card information on existing orders and they won't respond with Paypal invoices unless I want to pay for all 10 or so of my preorders at once. .

I haven’t had any of the mentioned issues with NIS.

My emails have always been answered within the same week as I sent them, usually within 48 hours.

When I asked to update a CC for an order they called me to get the new info from me.

When I’ve asked for a PayPal invoice one has been sent within 48 hours as well.

This is sort of off topic, but everything I've ordered from Bitmap books (UK publisher of the retro console visual compendiums among other things) has been impeccably packed. The books always show up pristine and packed with a ton of protection.

This is sort of off topic, but everything I've ordered from Bitmap books (UK publisher of the retro console visual compendiums among other things) has been impeccably packed. The books always show up pristine and packed with a ton of protection.
LOL, yeah, I guess this is one of those hasn't happened to you, but has happened to me situations.

I love Bitmap, but early on, I used to get damages more often than not. Actually, the latest SNES book that was just released, my card holder came very damaged, but CS is amazing, so I got a replacement within a few days(express shipping). I've dealt with Sam directly each time, and he's always cool, but their shipping has been hit & miss for me, with my latest order being a miss.

I haven’t had any of the mentioned issues with NIS.

My emails have always been answered within the same week as I sent them, usually within 48 hours.

When I asked to update a CC for an order they called me to get the new info from me.

When I’ve asked for a PayPal invoice one has been sent within 48 hours as well.
How recent have your interactions been with them? I used to get excellent service from them, but in the past couple of months it's been awful.

How recent have your interactions been with them? I used to get excellent service from them, but in the past couple of months it's been awful.
I’ve had to communicate with them for every release since immediately before the data breach. My most recent communication was around 2 weeks ago regarding the Witch and Hundred Knight 2 shipping delays.

It might help that I spend hundreds of dollars there every month?

I’ve had to communicate with them for every release since immediately before the data breach. My most recent communication was around 2 weeks ago regarding the Witch and Hundred Knight 2 shipping delays.

It might help that I spend hundreds of dollars there every month?
I don't know, I've pre-ordered every single LE/CE they have done since their first one a number of years ago on every platform and they still are not responsive. .

I gotta give it up to Strictly Limited Games. I like they're production email updates and I just got another regarding new covers for Guns, Gore & Cannoli. Apparently they're sending new, numbered covers out to everyone who bought the game.

Great stuff!

I gotta give it up to Strictly Limited Games. I like they're production email updates and I just got another regarding new covers for Guns, Gore & Cannoli. Apparently they're sending new, numbered covers out to everyone who bought the game.
Great stuff!
I’m happy with them so far too. Surprised.

NISA customer service has definitely gone downhill for me too, ever since they took away (or stopped advertising) the customer service phone #.

I don't use social media much myself but I have heard people may get more express service if they are vocal with the issue on the company's Twitter/Facebook, etc account.

Emails do tend to take a while to respond, if at all.

I actually called them when I had an issue in the past. But now I see no phone number. Maybe contact them on twitter?

Edit- I didn't see Josef already talked about all this.

Sucks hearing that NISA customer service has tanked. I love their CE/LE games and they pack the games really well. Makes me a little hesitant to order if I ever happen to have an issue with something, not to mention worrying if their site is really safe to order from again.

Since I first started with NISA many years back, their CS has been hit and miss in regards to reaching them. I've always had any issues resolved, but the time and effort has varied with each situation. The last time I contacted them was sometime last year, and they sent a message around that time on how CS volumes where higher than normal and to be patient.

Their packaging is top notch, so chances of getting anything damaged are pretty small, but if your trying to change an order or update something, GOOD LUCK!

Since I first started with NISA many years back, their CS has been hit and miss in regards to reaching them. I've always had any issues resolved, but the time and effort has varied with each situation. The last time I contacted them was sometime last year, and they sent a message around that time on how CS volumes where higher than normal and to be patient.

Their packaging is top notch, so chances of getting anything damaged are pretty small, but if your trying to change an order or update something, GOOD LUCK!
Yes, more than likely you won't have a damaged item issue with how well NISA packs and ships their stuff. My one issue in several years of being a customer was I had a CE missing from a multiple CE order. I used the phone number at the time and handled it easily that way. Nowadays I would send them an email every few days and if still no response after a week or so, start bombarding their social media.

Yes, more than likely you won't have a damaged item issue with how well NISA packs and ships their stuff. My one issue in several years of being a customer was I had a CE missing from a multiple CE order. I used the phone number at the time and handled it easily that way. Nowadays I would send them an email every few days and if still no response after a week or so, start bombarding their social media.
Yeah, back when I first had problems, the phone number was the way to go, I think Sandy was the contact I had at the time. She was always great, but even then, the phone number could go unanswered, but that was only about half the time. Not a big deal at the time, as I assumed she was out or having lunch or something. Normally the next try, I would get her on the phone.

NISA has for sure grown since then, and seem to have not transitioned well in the CS department. It's great that they pack well, and ship on time mostly, but when someone has an issue, they should take it more serious, as that's the fast track to no customers long term.

I had the same problem with them I had ordered Slain for vita and ordered the ps4 signature edition it came in that fold-over cardboard packaging the vita case pushed up against the ps4 signature edition box and badly crush it I email them and never got a reply I have never had a packaging problem with Play-Asia or Strictly Limited Games (knock on wood) I will never buy from Signature Edition Games again

I had the same problem with them I had ordered Slain for vita and ordered the ps4 signature edition it came in that fold-over cardboard packaging the vita case pushed up against the ps4 signature edition box and badly crush it I email them and never got a reply I have never had a packaging problem with Play-Asia or Strictly Limited Games (knock on wood) I will never buy from Signature Edition Games again
What really irritated me is that once they responded to my e-mail, they immediately agreed to replace the game, but still insisted on photos of the damage and then took over a week to respond to me that they had received the photos. Even after that, they never responded to say that the replacement was sent. I finally had to post on their Facebook and Twitter to get them to reply that the replacement had been sent. Of course, as it was mailed in the same thin foldover packaging, it showed up damaged even worse than the first time.

I don't know why companies don't realize....LEs and limited edition things should hopefully be packaged well, especially if there packaging could be damaged. I don't compliment NISA as much anymore, but every LE I ordered from them was packaged extremely well and never damaged.

Probably not the best place to ask but do any of you guys need the NTSC ESRB version of Heavy Rain / Beyond Two Souls? I'm selling my personal copy if anyone is interested.

s-l1600.jpg

bread's done
Back