Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it actually any good? I've seen merchandise for it like crazy but have no clue what the actual game is.

Ditto for Hello Neighbor.
Ahhh, I watched a video with a bit of gameplay a few years back. From what I recall, it's a horror game about a 1930's style cartoon character. I can't remember if you're like, in a 1930's cartoon world or if it was some cartoon come to life.

Heads up if you bought Don't Starve Megapack (PS4), they finally have a disc replacement program going to replace the bad disc. Check this thread for details:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/89898-update-physical-megapack-disc-replacement-ps4/
My copy is stacked NIB in my backlog like everything else, so the Interwebs is the only way I could have heard about this. I presumably wouldn't have found out until like 20 years from now when I retire and play everything while my son is in college or at Trump Youth rallies or whatever. Thanks.

09/XX - The Long Reach (Vita) via Signature Edition
10/16 - Death's Gambit (PS4) via Skybound [Retail]
10/16 - Home Sweet Home (PS4) via GameStop [Retail]
10/26 - Bendy and the Ink Machine (PS4/ XBO / NS) via GameStop [Retail]
10/30 - Salt and Sanctuary: Drowned Tome Edition (NS) via Leadman [Retail]
10/XX - Fall of Light: Darkest Edition (PS4) via Play-Asia

Thanks Olengie. Just Death's Gambit for me on that list. A little surprised it's coming out so soon, I figured it and Hollow Knight would be 2019.

09/XX - The Long Reach (Vita) via Signature Edition
10/16 - Death's Gambit (PS4) via Skybound [Retail]
10/16 - Home Sweet Home (PS4) via GameStop [Retail]
10/26 - Bendy and the Ink Machine (PS4/ XBO / NS) via GameStop [Retail]
10/30 - Salt and Sanctuary: Drowned Tome Edition (NS) via Leadman [Retail]
10/XX - Fall of Light: Darkest Edition (PS4) via Play-Asia
Nice list you got there - I'll add a few more for the next few months:

09/04 - Slime Rancher (PS4/XB1) via Skybound Games (retail though not at BB yet)

09/04 - The Long Dark (PS4/XB1) via Skybound Games (retail though not at BB yet)

09/04 - Operation Warcade (PS4VR) via U & I (retail)

09/18 - Cat Quest (Switch) via PQube (retail)

09/25 - Candle: Power of the Flame (Switch) via Merge Games (retail though not at BB yet)

09/25 - Air Missions: Hind (PS4) via Soedesco (retail)

09/25 - Flipping Death (PS4/Switch) via Rising Star Games (retail)

09/25 - Moonlighter (PS4/Switch) via Merge Games (retail)

09/25 - Valthirian Arc (PS4) via PQube (retail budget $19.99 game though not at BB yet)

09/28 - Jake Hunter: Ghost of the Dusk (3DS) via Aksys Games (retail though not at BB yet)

10/16 - Monstrum (PS4/XB1) via Soedesco (retail)

10/30 - The Escapists 2 (Switch) via Team17 (retail though not at BB yet)

Psyvariar Delta (a shmup) is also getting localized and is being released on September 25th for PS4/Switch. It just kinda came out of nowhere. If someone mentioned it already, I apologize.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=psyvariar+delta&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys
LOL if you preorder the game for ps4 you get a free copy of destiny 2 for the ps4

My copy is stacked NIB in my backlog like everything else, so the Interwebs is the only way I could have heard about this. I presumably wouldn't have found out until like 20 years from now when I retire and play everything while my son is in college or at Trump Youth rallies or whatever. Thanks.
Wow... I can relate on every level to your post. However, I'm hoping that we never have to worry about Trump again after the midterms, lol.

Psyvariar Delta (a shmup) is also getting localized and is being released on September 25th for PS4/Switch. It just kinda came out of nowhere. If someone mentioned it already, I apologize.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=psyvariar+delta&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. If you order directly from Dispatch Games they have an exclusive foil cover version, but it is $39.99 plus shipping. A little too much when compared to the $23.99 version at BB with GCU.

https://readytodispatch.com/collections/pre-order-list

09/18 - Cat Quest (Switch) via PQube (retail)
That's the only one of the bunch listed that I'm legit hyped to own and play. Seems like a fun game that'll be good for a break from more serious stuff. I preordered it on Amazon since I hadn't ever used Amazon Cash system I did the add $30 get $10 with qualified purchases deal for which Cat Quest qualified.

iam8bit is offering up their first NS title, Gone Home. I'm not familiar with this title, so I'll have to look up some vids. Due to ship Q1 of 2019, so enter at your own risk. LOL

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/gone-home/products/gone-home-nintendo-switch-physical-edition

EDIT: Just looked up the game, and I'll for sure grab a copy, as it looks rather good.
FYI, the game itself is really really short. I personally found it overrated (played it when it was part of PS+ in June 2016).

DmahVRiV4AAIneT.jpg

Sep 27. Includes game, mini OST, RPG rulebook, certificate & box. Limited to just 2000 units.

DmaeijVUcAIqnPJ.jpg

Sep 13

Blade Strangers on PS4 seems to either be selling really well or be the victim of a very small print run. It released yesterday, and it is already sold out online at Best Buy and Gamestop. No Best Buys near me have it any more (some did yesterday), and very few Gamestop stores have it. Many retailers aren't carrying it, and even some of the lesser know e-tailers (like Deep Discount) are sold out / back-ordered. It looks like Amazon is going to be the only option here pretty soon.

FYI, the game itself is really really short. I personally found it overrated (played it when it was part of PS+ in June 2016).
Thanks for the heads up, as length can be an issue, but I have come to expect it from most indie games. So long as the content of whats there is up to snuff, I can and have overlooked some shorter titles in the past. Now if a game is short and boring, then I'll have a problem. LOL

Thanks for the heads up, as length can be an issue, but I have come to expect it from most indie games. So long as the content of whats there is up to snuff, I can and have overlooked some shorter titles in the past. Now if a game is short and boring, then I'll have a problem. LOL
Well...I did find Gone Home pretty boring. :whistle2:

Blade Strangers on PS4 seems to either be selling really well or be the victim of a very small print run. It released yesterday, and it is already sold out online at Best Buy and Gamestop. No Best Buys near me have it any more (some did yesterday), and very few Gamestop stores have it. Many retailers aren't carrying it, and even some of the lesser know e-tailers (like Deep Discount) are sold out / back-ordered. It looks like Amazon is going to be the only option here pretty soon.
Best Buy could still get some more in as the Switch version also had a "sold out" status for a few days last week after it just released, but they got some more in. Though I also can believe the small print run since titles like Dead Cells sold 4 times as much on the Switch then on the PS4. Companies might finally be adjusting for that.

iam8bit is offering up their first NS title, Gone Home. I'm not familiar with this title, so I'll have to look up some vids. Due to ship Q1 of 2019, so enter at your own risk. LOL

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/gone-home/products/gone-home-nintendo-switch-physical-edition

EDIT: Just looked up the game, and I'll for sure grab a copy, as it looks rather good.
I read some not so great things about iam8bit, how trustworthy are they? Also, is this an open pre order until release or is it a specific amount?

I read some not so great things about iam8bit, how trustworthy are they? Also, is this an open pre order until release or is it a specific amount?
I'm not sure about the open pre-order vs set print run.

People have had issues with them in the past, and tons of people have had no issues. They are a completely legitimate company; they just don't always handle things the way people want--which is to be expected. If you want the game, order it without worry.

Yeah, I've personally used them more times than I can count over the years, and I've never had a single issue. I believe most issues come from their release of Rez awhile back, and whatever issues it had at the time. I didn't order that title, so I don't remember all the details, but there where many who had problems. As for how big the run will be, I would guess at least the minimum for an NS title, whatever that is? I don't expect a sell out anytime soon, but I wouldn't wait if your interested, as who can say what may or may not be done in regards to qty's produced.

They have offered some qty's over the years I thought for sure would have lasted well past release, only to have some stuff sell out within a rather short period of time.

A lot of the complaints regarding Iam8Bit come down to excessive delays and a failure to properly communicate about them and a poor customer service approach they take in connection with damaged vinyl and other items.  Their basic policy is that orders damaged in transit via Media Mail or USPS First Class International are not eligible for replacement or refund if they arrive damaged.  Since most heavy vinyl is shipped media mail, this infuriates vinyl collectors.    

A lot of the complaints regarding Iam8Bit come down to excessive delays and a failure to properly communicate about them and a poor customer service approach they take in connection with damaged vinyl and other items. Their basic policy is that orders damaged in transit via Media Mail or USPS First Class International are not eligible for replacement or refund if they arrive damaged. Since most heavy vinyl is shipped media mail, this infuriates vinyl collectors.
Is that really their policy? They are just asking for chargebacks in that case.

Is that really their policy? They are just asking for chargebacks in that case.
Yes, but in several instances that were made public on Twitter and Facebook, they bowed down to crowd pressure. It remains their policy though and I'm sure some people just accept it without making a fuss.

Yes, but in several instances that were made public on Twitter and Facebook, they bowed down to crowd pressure. It remains their policy though and I'm sure some people just accept it without making a fuss.
I'm not sure that's a sustainable policy. For example, they could use terrible packaging or just mail out broken items, then disavow any responsibility for a replacement. Consumer laws tend to favor the buyer pretty heavily in this scenario.

I wouldn't preorder from iam8bit again after they made me wait like 9 months for Gang Beasts (after saying it would only be 2-3 and then being radio silent). I would order once they have product in hand, though. Didn't have an issue with the product itself. If Gone Home is anything like the last few releases, the game will be available to order after the preorder period so I would warn you to not bite unless you want to float a company a 6 month loan.

Yeah, I'll never order from them again. After waiting months for my Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack, I received a warped record that sounded terrible. They flat out told me I was  fuck out of luck because it was shipped media mail. This was not a cheap record by the way. They've lost me as a customer.

Yeah, I'll never order from them again. After waiting months for my Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack, I received a warped record that sounded terrible. They flat out told me I was fuck out of luck because it was shipped media mail. This was not a cheap record by the way. They've lost me as a customer.
So, do they state clearly during the ordering process that if media mail is used, your SOL when something goes wrong? Are there other options available, that if something goes wrong, they will replace said items? I use media mail weekly, and have insured many items for that shipping method, and have had claims paid with no issues(well at least no issue for USPS). First class international does not allow for insurance(which is why I don't offer it for things of value), but media mail is a within the US only method of shipping, and insurance is very much allowed(for a fee of course).

Now, I can't stand Ebay 90% of the time, as they are beyond pro buyer, but the one thing they did years ago which I actually stand behind, is the seller is responsible for any item arriving in proper condition to the buyer, period. Ebay once had an option to allow for insurance within the listing, but it wasn't mandatory, so it was up to the buyer to pay for it(and for the seller to offer it). Of course none did, and when stuff went tits up, instead of Ebay saying you didn't buy insurance, to bad, it fell to the seller anyways, so they just removed that option. Now I just raise my shipping rates to cover insurance for items that need it.

I've used iam8bit many times over the years with no issues, but these shipping stories are given me a HUGE pause in regards to using them again. I'll for sure have to look more in to this, as it seems criminal on many levels. If of course it clearly states media mail doesn't offer insurance, while others more expensive shipping does, and if users are still picking it, then there's no issue. But if none of this is made clear before hand, paypal or my cc company would for sure be involved in any situation like I've seen described here. Thanks for the fair warnings to all who provided them.

No one mentioned it but Play Asia’s Leap of Fate PS4 limited edition was released today. Super Rare Games also released Worms WMD on the Switch as well.

My physical preorder of Undertale for the Switch shipped from Best Buy yesterday.  Guess it really is coming out on 9/18.

I believe this is a retail exclusive to Best Buy, with Fangamer being the only other option, so if you want the game, and have GCU, I would suggest getting it at launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbDOoQRyGA4&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=Exclusive+Product+List&utm_campaign=2671e71789-20180919_PAEX_TGS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4233963d2b-2671e71789-32611793&mc_cid=2671e71789&mc_eid=d717133e21

bread's done
Back