Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
How? Gravity Rush Remastered went out of stock a few months after release, and the prices of NTSC copies skyrocketed to $100.

I used a bigger game as an example because people would undoubtedly be telling Sony to reprint it. But with you logic it's okay with Gravity Rush because it was already available for months, even though most first party Sony games stay in print for years, and you can just import it.
It was in stock for a little over 10 months and the game was discounted multiple times (I think it was $20 on Black Friday). I don't think Amazon is clamoring to order more. As they were the exclusive distributor of it, I don't think Sony has many alternate options for distribution (that would be worth their time).

OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition is down to $16.35 on Amazon (and has been dropping):

https://www.amazon.com/OlliOlli-Epic-Combo-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HI8JR82/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490190875&sr=1-1&keywords=olliolli+epic+combo+edition

Also, I foolishly missed out on N.E.R.O. Nothing Ever Remains Obscure when it came out last summer. Now Amazon seems to be sold out of their stock and the prices have risen. Any ideas where I can pick it up for its release price ($20)?

https://www.amazon.com/N-E-R-O-Nothing-Ever-Remains-Obscure-PlayStation/dp/B01H2F5R6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490190998&sr=1-1&keywords=nero
I contacted the game developer and they told me to ask Soedesco about it and when I asked Soedesco, they told me to ask the game developer :(

Also, I got an email from Play-Asia saying that my copy of River City Melee for PS4 got delayed and expected to be at April 13.

If these haven't been mentioned yet, upcoming titles that likely fit in this thread as listed on Amazon:

Syberia 3 (4/25/17) - $49.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Syberia-3-PlayStation-4-Standard/dp/B06X9VMMFR/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193551&sr=1-1&keywords=syberia+3

XBO: https://www.amazon.com/Syberia-3-Xbox-One-Standard/dp/B06X9V1CLZ/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193551&sr=1-1&keywords=syberia+3

Superbeat Xonic (5/31/17) - $39.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Superbeat-XONiC-PlayStation-4/dp/B06WGVBTTW/ref=sr_1_102?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490192901&sr=1-102&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shoguns (8/29/17) - $49.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Tactics-Blades-Shogun-PlayStation-4/dp/B06XDTXS55/ref=sr_1_107?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490192901&sr=1-107&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

XBO: https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Tactics-Blades-Shogun-Xbox-One/dp/B06XDJ3LM3/ref=sr_1_171?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193281&sr=1-171&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Portal Knights: Gold Throne Edition (5/2/17) - $29.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Portal-Knights-Gold-Throne-PlayStation-4/dp/B01N6VS78C/ref=sr_1_134?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193050&sr=1-134&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

XBO: https://www.amazon.com/Portal-Knights-Gold-Throne-Xbox-One/dp/B01N9WJCJ5/ref=sr_1_159?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193208&sr=1-159&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars (4/4/17) - $29.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Air-Conflicts-Secret-Wars-PlayStation-4/dp/B01GGQBVCC/ref=sr_1_143?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193097&sr=1-143&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Infinifactory (3/27/17) - $24.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Infinifactory-PlayStation-4/dp/B06VW14Z9Y/ref=sr_1_155?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193159&sr=1-155&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Sudden Strike 4 (6/27/17) - $59.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Sudden-Strike-4-PS4-PlayStation/dp/B01M3XI64W/ref=sr_1_161?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193227&sr=1-161&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Rogue Stormers (5/5/17) - $29.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Stormers-PlayStation-4/dp/B06WWM3W5R/ref=sr_1_172?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193305&sr=1-172&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

Dollhouse (6/5/17) - $29.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-PlayStation-4/dp/B06XQ1MNSW/ref=sr_1_209?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193369&sr=1-209&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

World to the West (5/5/17) - $29.99

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/World-West-PlayStation-4/dp/B06XPG5RZP/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193974&sr=1-2&keywords=world+to+the+west

88 Heroes - unknown price (likely $19.99 to $29.99)

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/88-Heroes-PS4-PlayStation-4/dp/B06XJ8N3CD/ref=sr_1_219?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490193436&sr=1-219&refinements=p_69%3A1y-700y

OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition is down to $16.35 on Amazon (and has been dropping):

https://www.amazon.com/OlliOlli-Epic-Combo-PlayStation-4/dp/B01HI8JR82/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490190875&sr=1-1&keywords=olliolli+epic+combo+edition

Also, I foolishly missed out on N.E.R.O. Nothing Ever Remains Obscure when it came out last summer. Now Amazon seems to be sold out of their stock and the prices have risen. Any ideas where I can pick it up for its release price ($20)?

https://www.amazon.com/N-E-R-O-Nothing-Ever-Remains-Obscure-PlayStation/dp/B01H2F5R6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490190998&sr=1-1&keywords=nero
Ah man, I missed out on N.E.R.O. as well.

Metacritic and Gamerankings hates it. So not worth the 5 times over MSRP. Just from those scores.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, just had a couple of questions on some imports that I'm considering.

1. Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Dariusburst for PS4/Vita has English text?

2. And does anyone know if the DLC is on-disc for the Asia-English Darks Souls III Fire Fades Edition (or is it a code)?

Thanks everyone!  :)

Monster Boy devs are holding a Twitter vote thing for a physical release on Switch

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/844948632700948480

Just noticed this popped up on Amazon. Wouldn't have expected to see a nearly decade old DS game getting a PS4 port but I'll gladly take it for $19.99 ($15.99 prime).

https://www.amazon.com/Locks-Quest-PlayStation-4/dp/B06VWGJ3TJ/ref=pd_sim_63_57?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06VWGJ3TJ&pd_rd_r=SDK71BKJVH77Y233ERJD&pd_rd_w=Ou2UI&pd_rd_wg=UlnYt&refRID=SDK71BKJVH77Y233ERJD&th=1

QuqHgGJ.jpg
Porting old games to new systems is what THQ Nordic is best at!

Heavyarm/Play-Asia are selling a Taiwanese RPG called Xuan Yuan Sword for PS4 with English text. Anyone play this game? Looks decent if a little budget, but might be a solid JRPG style game from an Asian country that's not Japan.

Isn't the Asian release of gravity rush in English?
Yep, and pretty affordable last I checked. It is a seems like good option if people don't want to spend a lot for a physical copy. Unless the lack of NA copies has been driving up the price of that one too :(

Heavyarm/Play-Asia are selling a Taiwanese RPG called Xuan Yuan Sword for PS4 with English text. Anyone play this game? Looks decent if a little budget, but might be a solid JRPG style game from an Asian country that's not Japan.
I am debating getting that too lol. Yea it does seem VERY budget, but for some reason I kinda want to check it out. I was thinking of getting Parappa and Patapon from HeavyArm, so I might just grab that too if I do. But I don't know much about it at all lol.

Paprium looks cool. I need more beat 'em ups in my life. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to release.
Looks like they have a firm date set now, I ordered the classic edition, there are 10% off codes floating around from community members, check the watermelon fb posts comments

I ordered Paprium yesterday - I'm excited to give it a spin. IIRC, wasn't the beat 'em up they were making supposed to be an SNES/SFC project originally?

Who are you supposed to pester to get more games printed anyway?
Someone in Sony Interactive Entertainment America's first-party retail arm. People who worked on the game have nothing to do with the printing of physical discs, so bugging them won't do a whole lot.

Who are you supposed to pester to get more games printed anyway?
No one, because it wont happen.

I doubt they care youre unhappy with ebay prices since everyone complaining about the prices for it on ebay should have bought it when they had the chance. It sat around for quite a while, I got one off amazon when it dipped down to like 15 dollars and still havent gotten around to opening it. Now that its going for a lot suddenly people want a reprint so they can get it, but when it wasnt considered valuable you and a lot of others didnt care about it. "dont want it. dont want it. dont want it........wait its oop and now a lot of people want it? I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!!!"

people want it because it's a collectable game now, it wasn't before. Had it stayed available in large quantities it wouldn't be desired by collectors.

I'm actually surprised a ps4 version of a game is rarer than the vita version.

more specifically, just the NA ps4 version.

like what everyone said, it's been on sale multiple times... amazon even had another small batch after the release of gravity rush 2, which sold out within an hour or two.

people want it because it's a collectable game now, it wasn't before. Had it stayed available in large quantities it wouldn't be desired by collectors.

I think part of the problem is people just didn't know what the heck Gravity Rush even was. When I first heard the name I thought it was some kind of generic futuristic racing game and ignored it existing. Had they got given away the game on PS+ for Vita, I would probably still be ignoring what is a really great series. Thankfully I got my PS4 copy of the game before everyone else figured out this was a MAJOR hidden gem in the gaming world.

I ordered Paprium yesterday - I'm excited to give it a spin. IIRC, wasn't the beat 'em up they were making supposed to be an SNES/SFC project originally?
I think it was Project Y. You used the 10% discount code right? Mine was 1877448 I think they're multiuse though. I considered it but $80+ was a bit too much for me. I already spend way too much on games.

I think it was Project Y. You used the 10% discount code right? Mine was 1877448 I think they're multiuse though. I considered it but $80+ was a bit too much for me. I already spend way too much on games.
The codes are unlimited use to my knowledge, I think you get $50 credit if yours gets used a number of times?

Yeah I went with the classic version, didn't sound like the limited had much to offer besides different art

The codes are unlimited use to my knowledge, I think you get $50 credit if yours gets used a number of times?

Yeah I went with the classic version, didn't sound like the limited had much to offer besides different art
Are the classic orders eligible to get the manga? I know the carts make it a bit more expensive I wish they made this for Saturn or Dreamcast instead. Maybe they will port it to DC later like they did with Pier Solar.

My local gamestop had 3 copies of Has Been Heroes for switch,

they told me only 2 were pre-ordered so I was lucky to get mine.

Looks like a small print run for this one

yInfxny.jpg

yInfxny.jpg
Just out of curiosity how do you know it will be a small print run? Just a hunch?

Just out of curiosity how do you know it will be a small print run? Just a hunch?
Gamestop exclusive physical release as I recall, doesn't appear to be available online on their site either, only seeing the store pickup option, whether this means it will be an actual small print run tho, who knows

Gamestop exclusive physical release as I recall, doesn't appear to be available online on their site either, only seeing the store pickup option, whether this means it will be an actual small print run tho, who knows
Sure? Normally their exclusives have "only at Gamestop" in the website listing, but Has Been Heroes doesn't.

"Only at Gamestop" list

That said, I don't see a physical Switch version listed at all on Amazon or Best Buy.

Sure? Normally their exclusives have "only at Gamestop" in the website listing, but Has Been Heroes doesn't.

"Only at Gamestop" list

That said, I don't see a physical Switch version listed at all on Amazon or Best Buy.
Gametrust is their in-house publishing arm, so they don't always put "only at Gamestop" in the listing. Deformers is the same way as was the Indiebox steelbook collection.

No one, because it wont happen.

I doubt they care youre unhappy with ebay prices since everyone complaining about the prices for it on ebay should have bought it when they had the chance. It sat around for quite a while, I got one off amazon when it dipped down to like 15 dollars and still havent gotten around to opening it. Now that its going for a lot suddenly people want a reprint so they can get it, but when it wasnt considered valuable you and a lot of others didnt care about it. "dont want it. dont want it. dont want it........wait its oop and now a lot of people want it? I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!!!"
Pretty much. eBay is a plague. Wish it would just get nuked from existence. Life was so much better before the collect or resell everything rush post 2005.

YouTube as well. I'm sure there is no shortage of YouTube channels showing off and humblebragging their sealed copies of Gravity Rush now that it's $$$.

Actually I should blame YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc. eBay was around for a long time but it wasn't until social media that game collecting became popular for half the world population and attracted resellers and caused prices and preorder sellouts to get stupid.

Pretty much. eBay is a plague. Wish it would just get nuked from existence. Life was so much better before the collect or resell everything rush post 2005.

YouTube as well. I'm sure there is no shortage of YouTube channels showing off and humblebragging their sealed copies of Gravity Rush now that it's $$$.

Actually I should blame YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc. eBay was around for a long time but it wasn't until social media that game collecting became popular for half the world population and attracted resellers and caused prices and preorder sellouts to get stupid.
I have an enormous Retro collection of games, tons of NES, SNES, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo Geo games, accessories, consoles, many of the items still brand new sealed or in mint condition. This included 8 brand new Dreamcast consoles, 6 brand new Saturns, 2 brand new N64, etc. I decided to skip Ebay and just sell all of those to a local game store, read too many horror stories about Ebay always siding with buyers/scammers. Not worth the hassle of dealing with Ebay and their crappy anti-seller policies, it's only good for buyers anymore.

My local gamestop usually gets a hefty stock due to them being located in the mall.

1 extra copy other than 2 pre-orders is very telling. Also been seeing posts on reddit that indicate small allocations.

All of the "Gamer Channel" videos on Youtube like "Metal Jesus" and the like are at least partially responsible for the ridiculous demand of retro games now. Thankfully I already own most of the staple NES/SNES/Genesis games that I want, because at the prices they've ballooned to now, there's no way I'd be buying most of them. Metal Jesus seems like a nice guy but he's not doing the seasoned collectors any favors.

yInfxny.jpg
its sort of a awful game so i doubt it will ever become worth much and you can download for 20.

so there is no way to equip items you find them to unlock and then hope you run back into them during your run?

All of the "Gamer Channel" videos on Youtube like "Metal Jesus" and the like are at least partially responsible for the ridiculous demand of retro games now. Thankfully I already own most of the staple NES/SNES/Genesis games that I want, because at the prices they've ballooned to now, there's no way I'd be buying most of them. Metal Jesus seems like a nice guy but he's not doing the seasoned collectors any favors.
I like MJR. He is a nice guy. But you are correct, there is definitely a MJR effect on prices. If he does a hidden gems video everything listed in the video will double or triple in price over night. This is why Blades of Vengence is $90 instead of $7 anymore.

bread's done
Back