Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else get an email from play-Asia saying they accidentally mailed out the sample copies of Tachyon Project to customers and you may receive it? I just got the message this morning.

Dear Josef,

We're writing in with regards to your order of PSV Tachyon Project. We have
accidentally sent a sample to some of our customers, and if you have received the
sample please send us a photo of the item. Once we have received the photo, we will
be replacing the item with the right game and we will shoulder all of the shipping
costs involved for both return and reshipment.

Please return the faulty item for exchange to:

Play-Asia.com
Attn: Exchanges & Returns
P.O. Box 1351
Tsuen Wan Post Office
Tsuen Wan, NT
Hong Kong

Warmest Regards,

Your Team at Play-Asia.com
I may be done with Play-Asia. They fuck up far too much for my liking. These are exactly the kind of hoops I don't want to jump through when purchasing video games.

Also, what the heck is a "sample?"

Surprised it hasn't been posted yet but iam8bit is doing a repro Limited Edition of the SNES Street Fighter 2...

https://store.iam8bit.com/products/street-fighter-ii-30th-anniversary-edition

store_icon-street_fighter_II-snes_large.jpg

I still have my original... but it's interesting to see them do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what the heck is a "sample?"
I would guess it's maybe a "not for resell" boxed situation(review copy, give away, etc). Most media samples, or what ever else normally comes in just a standard vanilla case, but for shipping to possibly send a "sample", I really don't know how that mistake could be made, unless both items look very similar. Which would mean the sample has the collector's box as well, or fulfillment are just idiots.

I've had PA on my black list since their FFX-2 Vita issues a few years back. I use them very rarely anymore, and normally it's for an item like this, where they are the only ones selling it. If I get the "sample", I'll for sure be going through Paypal if they give me one second worth of problems in getting a replacement, or sending it back.

That SF cart is a cool souvenir but way too costly for my liking. I have like 4 or 5 iterations of the game between the SNES/Genesis and the last thing I need is another one. 

Surprised it hasn't been posted yet but iam8bit is doing a repro Limited Edition of the SNES Street Fighter 2...
It was posted, just in a different thread, and the discussion has been on going to say the least. What a shitty CE, and on top of the price, you can't even play it. LOL

Picked up The Sexy Brutale: Full House Edition from Gamestop today.  It's a pretty neat little package as it comes with a soundtrack CD and a manual.  Not bad for $29.99.  The copy I preordered was the only one my local store got so it may end up having a small print run.

This is a playable copy...
Yeah, not really..........

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.

Yeah, not really..........

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.
Just because it burns your house to the ground does not mean you can't play it..

I think that blurb for Street Fighter 2 is mainly a legal CYA.  I doubt it's any more risky to use than any other repro (or counterfeit) game cart.

I think that blurb for Street Fighter 2 is mainly a legal CYA. I doubt it's any more risky to use than any other repro (or counterfeit) game cart.
Actually a guy over on NeoGAF explained the issue, and it has to do with how the carts are produced, and what tech is used now VS. then. I don't know how true it was, but his explanation seemed to make sense, and it fell in line with the disclaimer, so it sounded good to me. If I get the time, I'll try and post it here.

Actually a guy over on NeoGAF explained the issue, and it has to do with how the carts are produced, and what tech is used now VS. then. I don't know how true it was, but his explanation seemed to make sense, and it fell in line with the disclaimer, so it sounded good to me. If I get the time, I'll try and post it here.
Found it near the bottom of page 4:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247484906

It's pure speculation that it would use a lower (3.3V) chip instead of a standard (5V) chip... and the effects that would have. Not that I really see anyone spending this kind of money for a game you can get pretty cheap cart only and fairly reasonably priced complete and original. I think this is more of tapping into the craze of owning something limited/exclusive. Thank goodness that's not a factor in my game purchases.

Picked up The Sexy Brutale: Full House Edition from Gamestop today. It's a pretty neat little package as it comes with a soundtrack CD and a manual. Not bad for $29.99. The copy I preordered was the only one my local store got so it may end up having a small print run.
I hate they didn't put any love into the spine and it's just basic text. I hate when publishers do this because 99% of the time these games are on a shelf and I see the spine. Square Enix does this with all of their Japanese titles and it irks me.

I hate they didn't put any love into the spine and it's just basic text. I hate when publishers do this because 99% of the time these games are on a shelf and I see the spine. Square Enix does this with all of their Japanese titles and it irks me.
giphy.gif

Found it near the bottom of page 4:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247484906

It's pure speculation that it would use a lower (3.3V) chip instead of a standard (5V) chip... and the effects that would have. Not that I really see anyone spending this kind of money for a game you can get pretty cheap cart only and fairly reasonably priced complete and original. I think this is more of tapping into the craze of owning something limited/exclusive. Thank goodness that's not a factor in my game purchases.
A few 4 and 8 line 5v to 3.3v level shifters would be required and easily solve that problem. That shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Red Dead Redemption has started hitting stores in actual Xbox One cases. Previously it was just an updated box art that mentioned backwards compatibility but still in a Xbox 360 case.

Red Dead Redemption has started hitting stores in actual Xbox One cases. Previously it was just an updated box art that mentioned backwards compatibility but still in a Xbox 360 case.
I picked up the Xbox One case Red Dead back near Black Friday of last year at BBY, so its not entirely new. There were only like 5 copies then though and I haven't seen them since either.

[attachment=27805:image1-1.JPG]

[attachment=27806:image2.JPG]

Just putting it out there.... LRG, or anyone for that matter ! needs to do a physical release of SONIC MANIA on playstation 4....

I made this packaging for the PS4, so I at least have something to sit on the shelf. 

If LRG wants to do a physical release, I will do the graphic design work for free :)

It would just be awesome to help contribute to the project.

Seeing as these aren't official Dreamcast releases, there's not much of a reason to buy these. I'm a crazy Dreamcast fanboy and even I'm going to sit out on these. $40 for emulated software that will only work on MIL-CD compatible Dreamcast systems? No thanks.

attachicon.gif
image1-1.JPG

attachicon.gif
image2.JPG

Just putting it out there.... LRG, or anyone for that matter ! needs to do a physical release of SONIC MANIA on playstation 4....

I made this packaging for the PS4, so I at least have something to sit on the shelf.

If LRG wants to do a physical release, I will do the graphic design work for free :)

It would just be awesome to help contribute to the project.
Why did you put the PSVR disclaimer text...?

That said we want this on the Switch!

Seeing as these aren't official Dreamcast releases, there's not much of a reason to buy these. I'm a crazy Dreamcast fanboy and even I'm going to sit out on these. $40 for emulated software that will only work on MIL-CD compatible Dreamcast systems? No thanks.
Did Pier Solar have the same stipulation? Even if it did I feel like it wouldn't be as bad because it was developed/ported to it.

I picked up the Xbox One case Red Dead back near Black Friday of last year at BBY, so its not entirely new. There were only like 5 copies then though and I haven't seen them since either.
Was it on a Blu Ray disc or DVD?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese

If you checked the link, it says Multi Language Edition, which usually means English is included.
I did check. I was asking if was going to just english subs or if english audio was included too?

bread's done
Back