Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
CE is sold out. I wonder how many CE’s will be offered with the “2nd chance” thing mentioned. Also feel a reprint of the standard is almost guaranteed seeing how well the first batch sold.

Switch just came out. Easy pickings for anyone wanting a new easy to collect for platform from the start when releases are slow and before any games become "rare".

For now.

Until next September-October hit and 150 AAA shovelware games come out at once. And then another 900 games a month when LRG is cleared for Switch releases.
Yep, 900.

Switch just came out. Easy pickings for anyone wanting a new easy to collect for platform from the start when releases are slow and before any games become "rare".

For now.

Until next September-October hit and 150 AAA shovelware games come out at once. And then another 900 games a month when LRG is cleared for Switch releases.
It's enough to make a person consider killing themselves.

Finally received my Sexy Brutale from Gamestop and it's actually new/sealed. Really nice for $20, glad I didn't break down and get it from Play-Asia earlier.

Given how thin Switch cases are, I'd be really suprised if a key chain, CD, manual, and 3D the glasses fit in the case with 0 bulge.
Got my Tiny Barbarian DX today, and immediately remembered this post. [attachment=28288:20171010_165254.jpg]
LOL! They packed so much stuff in there that not only was the case bulging a little, but a piece of the freebie pouch was actually sticking out! The case couldn't even latch properly! Personally, I'm fine with this because I like the silly little extras (especially the manual) and I just open most of my games anyway, but I can see how it might irk someone who wants to keep a sealed copy.

So yeah, I think you're right to have doubts about all the RCR goodies laying flat inside those tiny cases!

A folded up pouch or bag is going to take up a ton more space and be harder to stack flat than paper 3D glases, a manual, and a mini CD.

So yeah, I think you're right to have doubts about all the RCR goodies laying flat inside those tiny cases!
Mine came today as well, and while there is a very slight bulge in the center, it's far from busting out at the seams. I've had many games come with a few extra's in the case like this over the years, and I've never had any major issues with any of them, but I'll for sure wait and see how the RCR CE looks when it arrives.

This is one of the reasons I'm so happy I'm out of my prime as soon as it expires, even though I'm pretty sure they're going to try and auto renew it. How the fuck can a company as big as amazon not have their preorder discount listed immediately at preorder creation?! fuck them

This is one of the reasons I'm so happy I'm out of my prime as soon as it expires, even though I'm pretty sure they're going to try and auto renew it. How the fuck can a company as big as amazon not have their preorder discount listed immediately at preorder creation?! fuck them
They stopped the discount on limited/special editions. It's pretty clear that a bonus keychain really isn't the target of that policy change, but calling it "limited edition" probably automatically tripped some algorithm. Who knows if they'll notice or change it.

Between the Prime discount being so uneven, and their poor handling of preorders (they never hold any copies back to replace damaged or stolen shipments, so you're SOL if that happens / claiming they couldn't fulfill the SNES Mini preorders yet somehow boatloads showed up for their Treasure Trucks), plus sales taxes and shoddy packaging, I'm buying from other places more and more and Amazon less. I can't believe I'm actually shopping at Best Buy again.

Is the River City keychain edition exclusive to amazon? I ask cause I'd rather buy at best buy with discount, but I want that keychain :)

They stopped the discount on limited/special editions. It's pretty clear that a bonus keychain really isn't the target of that policy change, but calling it "limited edition" probably automatically tripped some algorithm. Who knows if they'll notice or change it.

Between the Prime discount being so uneven, and their poor handling of preorders (they never hold any copies back to replace damaged or stolen shipments, so you're SOL if that happens / claiming they couldn't fulfill the SNES Mini preorders yet somehow boatloads showed up for their Treasure Trucks), plus sales taxes and shoddy packaging, I'm buying from other places more and more and Amazon less. I can't believe I'm actually shopping at Best Buy again.
Yeah, Amazon leaves a sour taste in my mouth more often than not, but this year being my first with Prime, I've found it "solid". We cut cable this year, and since I need shipping supplies pretty regularly, I think I would get it again next year.

Getting the discount on games was really the 3rd reason I found to get Prime, and I've been using it for a handful of items where the prime discount at launch is to good to pass up, or for games where there's a day one edition, and I don't want to miss out on the extra's.

If I was using it exclusively for games, I would say it's probably not worth it. But combined with my other needs, it's been a good buy. I would say the 2 day shipping has been my favorite feature really, as sometimes I need items quickly, and that helps to keep me from having to pay for faster shipping out of pocket.

Is the River City keychain edition exclusive to amazon? I ask cause I'd rather buy at best buy with discount, but I want that keychain :)
most likely on amazon only because the last River City on 3DS that came out is only on amazon and natsume store. same goes for Wild Guns.

A folded up pouch or bag is going to take up a ton more space and be harder to stack flat than paper 3D glases, a manual, and a mini CD.
3D glasses, a manual, a CD, and a thick PVC keychain. Switch cases are barely more than a centimeter thick and only half of the case is actually available for storage - the other half with the cartridge doesn't have any usable space for extras.

Nice find. Added it to my want list. I doubt we'll get the prime discount since Natsume kind of screwed us out of that last year with the last 3DS RC game and Wildguns on PS4. But... I'm still going to wait a few days before locking in a preorder just in case we get it.

Got Raiden v from gamestop today. I don't know why it's been such a huge fucking problem for me to get this game but it's been a pain at every juncture. Seems like most stores only had one copy btw. I don't know how small of a print run it was but it's a fun game and forgiving for shmup boobs with unlimited continues.

https://www.shop4america.com/ps4-games/olliolli-epic-combo-edition-ps4-game

Just got OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition PS4 for $8.99 shipped from shop4america dot com. PayPal is a payment option so it’s safe. I can vouch for the site too as I’ve ordered a few games from them. Usually only takes 2-3 weeks for my games to arrive. Not bad considering they’re based out of the U.K. & I’m on the east coast.

Also for those more comfortable ordering from eBay he has em on there for $9.99 free shipping. Just search : OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition PS4.

But heads up everyone it’s the U.K. version so as long as you don’t care about the lil rating symbol on the front cover being different you’re good to go since PS4 games are region free.

3D glasses, a manual, a CD, and a thick PVC keychain. Switch cases are barely more than a centimeter thick and only half of the case is actually available for storage - the other half with the cartridge doesn't have any usable space for extras.
I just got Tiny Barbarian DX today & it had some extras crammed inside including an instruction manual, a tiny cloth pouch & a keychain in a clear plastic bag. Everything seemed to fit fine although my keychain had some spots of slight discoloration possibly due to being so compressed within the case. No biggie since my cover art & case seem fine. No creasing, bulge or dent thankfully. Reverse cover art too which is always a nice touch.

Also, the game came in a weird Y-fold sealed bag of sorts since it was looser than a traditional wrapped Y-fold game that has no extras. It had a lil sticker on the wrapping that looks like the keychain & says “FREEBEES INSIDE”

Lot of key chains lately. Kind of a lame pack in imo.
At least a keychain is something that can be used. My oldest son begged me for one of the keychains GS bundled in with my Fire Emblem Fates SE. He seemed super happy when I finally gave it to him. Seems like all three of my kids like the keychains. Of course around here the HS kids are big into their keychains with an extra emphasis on thick decorative lanyards (typically with something anime, gaming or comics on them).

Whatever the case I'll take a free keychain as long as it doesn't bump up the price I was already expecting to pay for the physical game.

That morph ball keychain is one of the coolest I’ve seen in years. I’m actually using it and I haven’t had a keychain since my pewter WoW one broke off its chain in the late 00s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im starting to think my first wave order for undertale isnt coming.... seeing everyone else getting theirs and i havent even gotten a shipping notice or anything

im starting to think my first wave order for undertale isnt coming.... seeing everyone else getting theirs and i havent even gotten a shipping notice or anything
I haven't received a shipping notice either. I'm assuming they're just working their way through the orders slowly.

I haven't received a shipping notice either. I'm assuming they're just working their way through the orders slowly.
Same for me, as I've never not gotten an order at Fangamer, and no reason to think it is going to start now. I just have to wait, and it will arrive at some point.

Still waiting for a shipping notice on my Undertale order as well.  And yes, I was in the first batch as I ordered right when it went up.

Same for me, as I've never not gotten an order at Fangamer, and no reason to think it is going to start now. I just have to wait, and it will arrive at some point.
I've also bought quite a few things from Fangamer and never had any issues. The original email they sent at the end of September mentioned that they expected shipping to last "a few weeks" for just the first wave of orders. So yeah, it's probably best for people to just sit tight a little while longer. Based on my previous experiences with them, the wait is probably due to them actually giving a crap about their packaging...which is always appreciated!

https://www.shop4america.com/ps4-games/olliolli-epic-combo-edition-ps4-game

Just got OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition PS4 for $8.99 shipped from shop4america dot com. PayPal is a payment option so it’s safe. I can vouch for the site too as I’ve ordered a few games from them. Usually only takes 2-3 weeks for my games to arrive. Not bad considering they’re based out of the U.K. & I’m on the east coast.

Also for those more comfortable ordering from eBay he has em on there for $9.99 free shipping. Just search : OlliOlli Epic Combo Edition PS4.

But heads up everyone it’s the U.K. version so as long as you don’t care about the lil rating symbol on the front cover being different you’re good to go since PS4 games are region free.
Trophies stack with USA digital?

Edit: answered my own question, I guess the physical stacks. Hopefully it's the same for euro edition. I'm in.

Based on my previous experiences with them, the wait is probably due to them actually giving a crap about their packaging...which is always appreciated!
The custom boxes for individual vita games were fantastic. I think overall they do, indeed, care about about their packaging. Adding to this, I don't think they send a shipping notice until an item actually is going out the door to ship. So another reason not to panic, though it also clearly states on their site:

"Orders will take some extra time to process, as we are extremely busy at this time. Thank you for your patience!"

Speaking of Fangamer, they still show Broken Age for PS4 and Vita as available. I guess the prices being bad (for resellers, good for collectors) on ebay ... they just aren't selling.

If you check out Fangamer's twitter, they have been transparent regarding the Undertale shipping. They are still shipping out the first wave of orders (the ones that said late September). It looks like they're shipping CE first and then standard editions (for PS4 at least).

If you check out Fangamer's twitter, they have been transparent regarding the Undertale shipping. They are still shipping out the first wave of orders (the ones that said late September). It looks like they're shipping CE first and then standard editions (for PS4 at least).
See I was thinking the opposite. Seems most people are getting their standards and my CE hasn't shipped (PS4). I was definitely in within the first 30 minutes too. I wonder how exactly they prioritize.

See I was thinking the opposite. Seems most people are getting their standards and my CE hasn't shipped (PS4). I was definitely in within the first 30 minutes too. I wonder how exactly they prioritize.
Doesn’t the CE release in December though?

Just double checked. It does unless you ordered before noon on 7/20. Personally I’m waiting till closer to release. Why let them hang on to my money for months before giving me the product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, my order contains a PS4 CE and a Vita standard. I received the "check your address" email in September. Still waiting on shipping notification..... Can't wait, excited to play this.

Can't wait, excited to play this.
Yeah, this is for sure on my "open soon" list of games, but I'm currently playing a few others first, so the delay isn't to bad thus far. Now my Ys bundle coming from LRG is a different matter entirely. LOL

I spoke too soon. I got a shipping email for my CE this evening haha. I'm legit stoked to play this. So much that I'm not buying anything else until it arrives.

Fangamer never disappoints! CE came in a bubble mailer, but inside it was in a sturdy cardboard box. No dents or dings. Perfect condition. And the music locket is amazing!

Has anyone bought the Friday The 13th game? How is it? 60fps on consoles? Been thinking of getting it.
Been playing it since launch on ps4,

It's still a mess

For 40 dollars you get 4 maps to play on that's it.

Game crashes constantly , no where near 60fps, and the fluidity of the game is can be hit or miss depending on the host connection.

But the game is full with bugs, glitches, and pop in textures. I could go on forever

At best, this game is worth no more than 20.

bread's done
Back