Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing it since launch on ps4,

It's still a mess

For 40 dollars you get 4 maps to play on that's it.

Game crashes constantly , no where near 60fps, and the fluidity of the game is can be hit or miss depending on the host connection.

But the game is full with bugs, glitches, and pop in textures. I could go on forever

At best, this game is worth no more than 20.
It's a cool game when it works right...however it rarely seems to work right. My friend was trying to demonstrate it for me however he could barely get a match going before a technical difficulty ruined the match (usually a logoff). That plus its online only, which is the seal of death for me. I'll get the physical disc if it ever gets below $10.

The devs are working on a single player mode for Friday the 13th. It looks like it will be just challenge modes and an option to play offline with bots. Nothing too exciting, but at least you can play it offline. 

The devs are working on a single player mode for Friday the 13th. It looks like it will be just challenge modes and an option to play offline with bots. Nothing too exciting, but at least you can play it offline.
ok thats not too bad. not gonna die as quick as lawbreakers. hehe

Totally agreed, especially for a game as wonderful as Undertale.
Yeah, I personally passed on the CE, as I didn't really want/need the musical pendant, but those who have gotten it, say they love the quality. So I'm happy for those who bought in, as I just got the standard release, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm always happy to support games like this, as it helps others in a similar situation to see the benefits of offering a physical option. Even if the runs are small, it's better than nothing.

Who okayed the cover art for Undertale physical though? It's terrible.
Have you seen the in game graphics? It's not an artistic tour de force, and the box art seems to represent it rather well.

Yeah, I personally passed on the CE, as I didn't really want/need the musical pendant, but those who have gotten it, say they love the quality. So I'm happy for those who bought in, as I just got the standard release, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm always happy to support games like this, as it helps others in a similar situation to see the benefits of offering a physical option. Even if the runs are small, it's better than nothing.

Have you seen the in game graphics? It's not an artistic tour de force, and the box art seems to represent it rather well.
Additionally it matches the PS4 theme that came with the game. It's fitting for the understated graphics.

Has anybody pre-ordered Ni No Kuni II CE from Best Buy a few months back? I noticed today that there is a free item that comes with all editions of that game but you currently can't place any pre-orders. I know that usually when you order something that comes with an extra item, it shows up as a separate item on the invoice. The pre-order I have does not have this extra item on the invoice.

I called up Best Buy and the rep tells me there is absolutely nothing they can do, whether it's to cancel and place another order on their end or even append that free item to my current order. I think I'll give another call again to see if I get a different answer from a different rep.

Anybody have some advice as to how else can approach this? I know it's still months away before release date and I'm hoping that possibly the pre-order becomes available again.

Thanks in advance!

Update:

Made a 2nd call to Best Buy. So they told me that this was a new promotion that was recent. Unfortunately, the rep also was unable to do anything to get me that free item, however, he did issue me a $30 GC, so that was nice. I guess I'll just have to order one of the other editions of the game to get that promo item.

Has anybody pre-ordered Ni No Kuni II CE from Best Buy a few months back? I noticed today that there is a free item that comes with all editions of that game but you currently can't place any pre-orders. I know that usually when you order something that comes with an extra item, it shows up as a separate item on the invoice. The pre-order I have does not have this extra item on the invoice.

I called up Best Buy and the rep tells me there is absolutely nothing they can do, whether it's to cancel and place another order on their end or even append that free item to my current order. I think I'll give another call again to see if I get a different answer from a different rep.

Anybody have some advice as to how else can approach this? I know it's still months away before release date and I'm hoping that possibly the pre-order becomes available again.

Thanks in advance!

Update:

Made a 2nd call to Best Buy. So they told me that this was a new promotion that was recent. Unfortunately, the rep also was unable to do anything to get me that free item, however, he did issue me a $30 GC, so that was nice. I guess I'll just have to order one of the other editions of the game to get that promo item.
I switched a bunch of pre-orders over from Amazon to BB after Amazon stopped offering 20% off on LEs, and I'm kind of regretting it. So far 3/4 items I've ordered have been delayed, and I'm in a similar situation with the NNK CE. It seems like you had a good experience with their customer service - is it usually that good or are they more likely to do nothing?

I switched a bunch of pre-orders over from Amazon to BB after Amazon stopped offering 20% off on LEs, and I'm kind of regretting it. So far 3/4 items I've ordered have been delayed, and I'm in a similar situation with the NNK CE. It seems like you had a good experience with their customer service - is it usually that good or are they more likely to do nothing?
CS service everywhere is a YMMV type deal. You may get the worst person one minute, call or chat back an hour later, and get the best.

EDIT: The only real exception to that is when you deal with a small operation like NISA, where you may deal with the same person anytime you have an issue. Anytime your dealing with random CS reps, it's the luck of the draw each and every time.

CS service everywhere is a YMMV type deal. You may get the worst person one minute, call or chat back an hour later, and get the best.

EDIT: The only real exception to that is when you deal with a small operation like NISA, where you may deal with the same person anytime you have an issue. Anytime your dealing with random CS reps, it's the luck of the draw each and every time.
While I understand that it's generally YMMV, some places are much more of a headache than others. For instance, Amazon is a pretty pain-free experience, whereas Play-Asia is like pulling teeth. I was just trying to get a sense of where BestBuy fell on that spectrum to know whether I should bother calling.

Both the reps were very nice but the 2nd rep noticed that I was someone who buys a lot from Best Buy, so I guess he went the extra mile for me. I guess keep calling until you find one who will go that extra mile.

While I understand that it's generally YMMV, some places are much more of a headache than others. For instance, Amazon is a pretty pain-free experience, whereas Play-Asia is like pulling teeth. I was just trying to get a sense of where BestBuy fell on that spectrum to know whether I should bother calling.
Very true, as I agree PA sucks 99% of the time, and while Amazon is normally pretty good, I'e had some headaches with them as well over the years.

Weird.  BB always ships in boxes and they are always the first to ship for me where Amazon is a 2-3 days late and in a bubble mailer. I have my BB order in hand before Amazon even ships more often than not.

I've had my share of squashed stuff in bubble mailers from BB but it's far from normal unlike Amazon.

Case in point my BB SNES classic I had delivered the morning of 9/29, but Amazon just shipped out yesterday.  I ordered within < 60 seconds of it going live on Amazon when nobody was even sure it was the real thing.

Thanks in advance!

Update:

Best Buy will sometimes add bonus items to orders after the fact. I would post to the Best Buy Unboxed forums to bring it to their attention so that maybe they can work on getting the bonus added to all preorders. It is important to note that this preorder bonus was only listed after all preorders were sold out.

Best Buy will sometimes add bonus items to orders after the fact. I would post to the Best Buy Unboxed forums to bring it to their attention so that maybe they can work on getting the bonus added to all preorders. It is important to note that this preorder bonus was only listed after all preorders were sold out.
Hmm. I'll give that a try and update as necessary. Thanks!

Update:

Here's the post I made:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Ni-No-Kuni-II-CE-Preorder-Bonus/m-p/1083971

Heads up, River City Rival Showdown now has the Prime discount.   I went ahead and locked in my preorder for it and ended up paying $25.91 after tax.

So the keychain and the listing saying Limited Edition didn't stop it from getting the discount.   :D/

Heads up, River City Rival Showdown now has the Prime discount. I went ahead and locked in my preorder for it and ended up paying $25.91 after tax.

So the keychain and the listing saying Limited Edition didn't stop it from getting the discount. :D/
Nice, just grabbed a copy as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Heads up everyone who ordered Retro City Rampage for Nintendo Switch from VBlank. I got an email today stating the following info:

“ The Standard Edition pre-orders are now in and start shipping tomorrow! Stay tuned for your tracking numbers. We're super excited for you to get them.

Packed to the brim! The Switch Collector's Edition will now include 4 alternate covers instead of just one!

The Collector's Editions are taking a bit longer to finish assembling than anticipated, but don't worry! They're right around the corner, and we've put this extra time to some good use. To make up for the wait, you'll now be getting a full set of FOUR alternate covers instead of just one. In addition to these extra covers, we've also given extra love to the first one, and transforming the plain old white background into something much more special!

Assembly should be completed next week. After that, the finished orders will be sent to the fulfillment center, then sent to you. Thank you so much for your patience. We apologize for the delay, but hope these exciting new covers will make the wait worth it! “

Now I really wish I went with the Collectors Edition since there’s 4 awesome covers for it. They show a picture of the 4 covers in the email. They’re pretty damn cool. Will def be keeping my eyes peeled for the “2nd chance” batch of CE’s.

Also, the cancelled orders of Shadow Warrior 2 are available for purchase at Special Reserve Games. They also have copies for PC & also PS4 copies of Strafe.

Anyone who missed out should jump on this as copies go for $85 to $90 at the moment on eBay. So $45 shipped is a great deal imo especially since Shadow Warrior part 1 is also included & it’s on its own disc with SW2 on a separate disc. Not to mention the cool extras including a kanji & emailed steam codes for both SW1 & SW2. Great lil package. I personally sold my steam codes on eBay so I own my copy at about $27 give or take a dollar. This deal has it’s own thread but it’s also relevant to this thread so I figured I’d post it in here as well for those CAG’s that might overlook the other dedicated thread for SW2. This will be the last chance to get this game in physical format for a decent price. Don’t hesitate if interested.

https://specialreservegames.com/past-reserves-shadow-warrior-2/

Decided to grab a copy of Strafe PS4 and a spare SW2. Shipping was only $5.82 via FedEx Smart Post. Not sure why others had higher shipping with multiple game orders. Maybe it got adjusted since.

Finally recieved my Culdcept LE from Amazon. They took a week before they shipped, charged me because it's overseas, and worst of all they sent it in a bubble mailer. The wait and cost I could have lived with but shipping an LE in a bubble mailer overseas? Ridiculous.

Heavy Arm is about to get their Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition back in stock. I suggest y'all make your reservations as it went quick last time

I'm not super familiar with ordering from these fellas. Any chance you could post a link to where you can deserve the game?
Go to their Twitter, and they have ordering information there. I haven't ordered in a while, but you normally have to place request by email, and they send you a Paypal link. They where supposed to upgrade their site awhile ago to handle international orders and what not, but I don't know if that ever happened.

They also have an Ebay account, but I don't have access to it currently, so maybe someone can pot it. But on there, you pay more as it's going thru Ebay, and the fees and shipping cost more, which you have to pay. Heavy Arm is a stand up operation, so no worries, but ordering can take a minute, but Steve(I think that's his name) always gets back to you pretty quickly.

Heads up for those who bought a standard edition of RCR, I received a shipping notification for my 1 standard edition copy of Retro City Rampage Nintendo Switch from VBlank. But there’s been no movement on the package yet.

Hmm. I'll give that a try and update as necessary. Thanks!

Update:

Here's the post I made:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Ni-No-Kuni-II-CE-Preorder-Bonus/m-p/1083971
This is an update concerning the promo item for Ni No Kuni II CE. According to the Best Buy Rep, the promo item will be added to existing orders. I personally would still keep an eye on the product page to see if orders can be placed again Also keep an eye on your existing orders to see if they really add the promo item. He also suggests that there could be an email update sent to you concerning those existing orders.

May or may not be shady depending on how you look at it, I guess if you would rather just guarantee one now for peace of mind, you can order one of the other editions of the game, keep the promo item, and refund the game new.

This is an update concerning the promo item for Ni No Kuni II CE. According to the Best Buy Rep, the promo item will be added to existing orders. I personally would still keep an eye on the product page to see if orders can be placed again Also keep an eye on your existing orders to see if they really add the promo item. He also suggests that there could be an email update sent to you concerning those existing orders.

May or may not be shady depending on how you look at it, I guess if you would rather just guarantee one now for peace of mind, you can order one of the other editions of the game, keep the promo item, and refund the game new.
I would actually be surprised if they didn't automatically add it to preorders.

As an example, I believe that some best buy reps were previously telling people that they would have to reorder if they wanted to get the "Cappy" coin bonus with their pre-order of SM Odyssey, but this turned out to be false. I preordered that game back in Jan with VCO promo and didn't really care about getting the coin, so I left it as is. Now that we are close to release day on SMO, I got an email out of the blue recently that said they noticed my order doesn't include the coin, and that they were adding it to my order at no charge.

NTSC:

Hello Neighbor - PS4/XBO

Stern Pinball Arcade - PS4/XBO

PAL:

Chicken Range - PS4/PSV/Switch (looks like shovelware but is coming out on Vita?)

Demons Age - PS4/XBO

Max: Curse of the Brotherhood - PS4

Poi: Explorer Edition - Switch

Radial-G: Racing Evolved - PS4

Silence - PS4

Stern Pinball Arcade - Switch

Surf World Series - PS4

Syberia - Switch

Syberia 2 - Switch

Vegas Party - PS4/PSV/Switch (looks like shovelware but is coming out on Vita?)
Did not expect Hello Neighbor to get a physical release. That's a nice surprise!

How long does it take for Signature Edition games to ship? My order of Slain hasn't shipped.
With my original order, it was once they got stock, and I believe they sent out an email stating shipping had started. If and when you have any issues, their CS was top shelf, so unless they've gone done hill in a few months, you should be good.

With my original order, it was once they got stock, and I believe they sent out an email stating shipping had started. If and when you have any issues, their CS was top shelf, so unless they've gone done hill in a few months, you should be good.
Got an email saying it shipped so it looks like I'm good for now.

Got an email saying it shipped so it looks like I'm good for now.
Sadly, they use those fold over cardboard mailers, which aren't great, but not terrible. If the item is solid, and they fold and tape it right, it can be pretty good. I had two orders, and one arrived mushed, and the other was fine. But my contact had shipping send a new one which was probably the best packaging job I have ever received.

Someone went bonkers on reinforcing the box. I honestly think I could have drove a car over it, and it would have held up. LOL He said he was going to tell shipping to pack it right, and they damn sure did. And the replacement was done ASAP, and I didn't even need to return the damaged one, awesome service.

Looks like we are about to get a flood of UIG games released in the next few months for PS4 and in some cases Xbox One.  So far they are only listed on Amazon.CA, EB Canada and Videogamesplus Canada, but Walmart in the US has carried their titles previously.  Looks like Forestry 2017 and Realms of Arkania are set for release tomorrow.  Here are the titles listed in their press release from last week:

• Transport Giant (PS4) - It's 1850, and with a little money and a few good ideas you can establish a transportation business empire! MSRP $29.99.
  • Professional Farmer 2017 Gold Edition (PS4/Xbox One) - Enjoy the life of a farmer! Drive tractors, cultivate fields, take care of animals and market your produce!
  • Firefighters - The Simulation (PS4) - Players experience the exciting work of the professional fire company, surviving realistic missions extinguishing house fires, neutralizing hazardous substances and search and rescue.
  • Forestry 2017 (PS4) - This game takes you to the forest! Take over the tasks of a professional lumberjack and enjoy working in the woods in 1st and 3rd person mode!
  • Firefighters Airport Simulator (PS4) - Firefighting is a dangerous job, especially in a modern airport where thousands of travelers are close to highly flammable aviation fuel and hazardous materials.
  • Professional Farmer American Dream (PS4/PC) - Professional Farmer: American Dream is the latest spin-off from the Professional Farmer series and takes players to a farm inspired by the American Midwest.
  • Professional Construction - The Simulation (PS4) - Players immerse themselves in the sprawling world of road construction using heavy equipment and massive machinery.
  • Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny (PS4/Xbox One) - Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny is a faithful remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of gamers and one of the most successful RPG's of the 1990's!

Looks like we are about to get a flood of UIG games released in the next few months for PS4 and in some cases Xbox One. So far they are only listed on Amazon.CA, EB Canada and Videogamesplus Canada, but Walmart in the US has carried their titles previously. Looks like Forestry 2017 and Realms of Arkania are set for release tomorrow. Here are the titles listed in their press release from last week:

• Transport Giant (PS4) - It's 1850, and with a little money and a few good ideas you can establish a transportation business empire! MSRP $29.99.
  • Professional Farmer 2017 Gold Edition (PS4/Xbox One) - Enjoy the life of a farmer! Drive tractors, cultivate fields, take care of animals and market your produce!
  • Firefighters - The Simulation (PS4) - Players experience the exciting work of the professional fire company, surviving realistic missions extinguishing house fires, neutralizing hazardous substances and search and rescue.
  • Forestry 2017 (PS4) - This game takes you to the forest! Take over the tasks of a professional lumberjack and enjoy working in the woods in 1st and 3rd person mode!
  • Firefighters Airport Simulator (PS4) - Firefighting is a dangerous job, especially in a modern airport where thousands of travelers are close to highly flammable aviation fuel and hazardous materials.
  • Professional Farmer American Dream (PS4/PC) - Professional Farmer: American Dream is the latest spin-off from the Professional Farmer series and takes players to a farm inspired by the American Midwest.
  • Professional Construction - The Simulation (PS4) - Players immerse themselves in the sprawling world of road construction using heavy equipment and massive machinery.
  • Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny (PS4/Xbox One) - Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny is a faithful remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of gamers and one of the most successful RPG's of the 1990's!
My wallet sighs in relief.

bread's done
Back