Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.  Owlboy.  Now there's a physical release I can get behind, and its only $24.  It's a highly regarded indie game that lots of people have been interested in playing.  That's what this stuff is all about.  :joystick:

I'm hoping either Best Buy or Amazon sells Darkest Dungeon on PS4 as well, for that phat discount.  I was scared to hear that listing got pulled from Amazon last week.   :oldman:   Surprisingly, that game has never been bundled. 

I was thinking about those trite cliches right after I submitted my last post. You are on top of things. good job getting in front of that one LOL
Yeah, it's a broken record at this point. I had to go back and add one more. I got into a gigantic Twitter debate with a dev over this in one of LRGs tweets. He, obviously, had a very unbiased view of the price burden placed on the consumer :3.

As for Owlboy, I'm thrilled to see that hit retail. GCU discount, free shipping, and the potential for a later sale. I don't have to go buy it day one at $30 plus shipping. It exists in physical form, and I have choices for how and when I wish to purchase it. Does that mean the dev/publisher may make a bit less profit? Yeah, it probably does. But I'm a consumer, so I care much more about my pocket book than theirs. Now that is a consumer friendly way to release a physical copy of a previously digital only game.

beat me to it

but then you go on to speculate which confuses me ><
Nothing confusing about it... it's fun to speculate. So of course that means more speculation. :beer:

Nicely we won't be seeing the contract and be able to tell what the actual truth is let alone go study Belgium law to see if the contract violated anything there. It may be as enforceable a contract as the typical non-compete, especially if the lawyer that created it left some nice big loop holes.

Nothing confusing about it... it's fun to speculate. So of course that means more speculation. :beer:

Nicely we won't be seeing the contract and be able to tell what the actual truth is let alone go study Belgium law to see if the contract violated anything there. It may be as enforceable a contract as the typical non-compete, especially if the lawyer that created it left some nice big loop holes.
Didn't LRG admit they copy/pasted something from one contract into another by accident the other day? I wouldn't be overly confident about the strength of any lawsuits based on that.

Didn't LRG admit they copy/pasted something from one contract into another by accident the other day? I wouldn't be overly confident about the strength of any lawsuits based on that.
They had revised a contract for a different release and mistakingly sent that same revision to the ghost blade devs who then used the loophole to release through PA

Idk why y'all hating on lrg so much lately, Doug seems like a legit collector and fan, I don't get the impression he's just on here trying to fuck everyone over while he scrooge mcducks into his money vault. If they had a contract with the dev then they had a contract, it doesn't fucking matter how long it took to come to market.
I agree with this. Doug absolutely seems like the rest of us and is a collector and fan, it's likely a big reason to why LRG exists in the first place.

I hadn't heard that (I don't follow the other forums or social media stuff unless it's brought up here). I'd imagine fighting that would be very costly, especially since they'd open the door to be countersued. Stuff like that ruins companies, especially small ones. The only benefactors are the lawyers.

They had revised a contract for a different release and mistakingly sent that same revision to the ghost blade devs who then used the loophole to release through PA
Wow, that's super sketchy. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think something similar happened with GG&C. Maybe not another copy&paste mistake, but maybe that they just sent a revised contract and rather than respond to it they went radio silent and let the old one be violated or expire.

In the end, LRG still has a small mountain of games left to publish and they are regularly having to sell games before they are produced these days to avoid violating the contracts ... so maybe having a couple games slip through the cracks isn't a bad thing. Hopefully they get caught up and at least can get back to selling games after they are produced.

I hadn't heard that (I don't follow the other forums or social media stuff unless it's brought up here). I'd imagine fighting that would be very costly, especially since they'd open the door to be countersued. Stuff like that ruins companies, especially small ones. The only benefactors are the lawyers.
Beneficiaries. Definitely not benefactors!

Wow, that's super sketchy. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think something similar happened with GG&C. Maybe not another copy&paste mistake, but maybe that they just sent a revised contract and rather than respond to it they went radio silent and let the old one be violated or expire.

In the end, LRG still has a small mountain of games left to publish and they are regularly having to sell games before they are produced these days to avoid violating the contracts ... so maybe having a couple games slip through the cracks isn't a bad thing. Hopefully they get caught up and at least can get back to selling games after they are produced.
Doug openly stated that the GGC devs had stopped communicating and that they announced the SLG release with no warning. I would expect lawyers to block this one

I would be shocked if they listed this for sale with NO announcement prior if they didn't already have it manufactured and OTW from Sony to them. 

It certainly appears they knew what they were doing, and did it in the best way possible for themselves. 

I would be shocked if they listed this for sale with NO announcement prior if they didn't already have it manufactured and OTW from Sony to them.

It certainly appears they knew what they were doing, and did it in the best way possible for themselves.
Even if that's true, LRG could (if they wanted to spend the money and effort) obtain an injunction to prevent shipment of the game to customers. Not saying they will, but there are remedies should they choose to go down that path.

Even if that's true, LRG could (if they wanted to spend the money and effort) obtain an injunction to prevent shipment of the game to customers. Not saying they will, but there are remedies should they choose to go down that path.
I'm no law expert, but I'm pretty sure something being produced and sold overseas by Strictly Limited is out of bounds to LRG. Maybe the developer breached the contract here in the states, but who is going to stop them from offering it on their side of the pond? I'm sure they have a contract as well. Who in the states is going to enforce an injunction where ever SLG is located?

In the USA, we can't get many things enforced, when it's across state lines. I really don't see any court over here getting anything enforced in another country. But maybe I'm wrong?

I can't keep track of all these new publishers. Someone should update the OP to list more than just LRG.

Limited Run Games

Strictly Limited Games

Special Reserve Games

Signature Edition Games

Super Rare Games

Plus ones like 8-bit and fangamer

SLG is in Germany and the developer is in Belgium.  I don't think there is an easy way for LRG to do anything.  

I can't keep track of all these new publishers. Someone should update the OP to list more than just LRG.

Limited Run Games

Strictly Limited Games

Special Reserve Games

Signature Edition Games

Super Rare Games

Plus ones like 8-bit and fangamer
I'm working on updating the OP and the list.

I'm no law expert, but I'm pretty sure something being produced and sold overseas by Strictly Limited is out of bounds to LRG. Maybe the developer breached the contract here in the states, but who is going to stop them from offering it on their side of the pond? I'm sure they have a contract as well. Who in the states is going to enforce an injunction where ever SLG is located?

In the USA, we can't get many things enforced, when it's across state lines. I really don't see any court over here getting anything enforced in another country. But maybe I'm wrong?
The United States has good treaties in place with most of the countries in Western Europe and most large law firms have either offices or agreements with local counsel in various European countries that they can utilize to bring actions in the appropriate venue. It's certainly not a simple process or one that's inexpensive, but it is very possible to enforce a breach of contract in another country if you have the will to do so.

As I ordered a copy of GGC I'm curious to see how this kerfuffle is going to work out. And I like that people are talking about varios outcomes .Over on the limited run forums we're not allowed to talk about SLG or GGC anymore, as Douglas has deleted the official thread about them. 

As I ordered a copy of GGC I'm curious to see how this kerfuffle is going to work out. And I like that people are talking about varios outcomes .Over on the limited run forums we're not allowed to talk about SLG or GGC anymore, as Douglas has deleted the official thread about them.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
fcb26d1bd104ffb5b7061bedc0e02da5.jpg

PSA:

For those of you who backed the Shantae Kickstarter a few years ago, they are finally ready to send out physical rewards. Tomorrow the 28th is the last day to update your mailing address to get your stuff. I'll assume many have moved in what seems like forever, so make sure your mailing addresses are up to date. They have sent out plenty of email reminders, so hopefully those reached the proper persons, but just in case......

I got my One More Dungeon shipping notice from Play-Asia this morning, so copies are now on the way.

I also noticed this HK version on Ebay as well, any info on this copy? Is it from the PA run, or is it a stand alone CE from the 1000 at PA? It seems to have the same contents as well as the numbered certificate. So I would think, these are part of the 1000, but who knows? For those who missed out, this may be a decent shot at a still decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PS-Vita-PSV-One-More-Dungeon-HK-Collectors-Limited-Edition/222852837082?hash=item33e3106eda:g:SdQAAOSwr85amTUq

My PS4 99Vidas showed up today. I don't remember seeing that they included postcards, is this standard?

Photos:
[attachment=29667:IMG_9161.JPG][attachment=29668:IMG_9162.JPG][attachment=29669:IMG_9163.JPG]

Tokyo 42 and Gryphon Knight also came with postcards.
Just a heads up that anyone that picked up a copy of Gryphon Knight should check the individual number sticker on the back. The copy I received was missing the number so I emailed Strictly Limited about it. They said it was a misprint on less than 50 copies that were received from Sony.

Just a heads up that anyone that picked up a copy of Gryphon Knight should check the individual number sticker on the back. The copy I received was missing the number so I emailed Strictly Limited about it. They said it was a misprint on less than 50 copies that were received from Sony.
Only 50 copies you say? COLLECTORS, SWARM...SWARM!!!

We shall see if future releases by them also have this issue. Will be a bit fishy if they do.

We shall see if future releases by them also have this issue. Will be a bit fishy if they do.
They changed the number printing process, so it shouldn't. I too have one of the error ones and it's more like a smear of ink where the number should have been rather than just a blank box.

Both copies of my PS4 99Vidas had numbers. I thought it was odd that one was #008 and the other was #1113. I wouldn't have expected to get two numbers so far apart. 

Signature Edition Games has The Long Reach SE for the PS4 up for preorder. The Vita version seems to be on hold, as it has some issues on the development side of things.

This seems to be a trend lately with Vita offerings, which I think is just double speak for "The Vita is done, but we don't want riots", so we'll just say we're working on it. And in time, it will be forgotten or cancelled, and no one will care anymore. Oh well, we had a good run while it lasted. Hopefully this will still see the light of day, but like most LRG Vita versions, I won't be holding my breath.

https://signatureeditiongames.com/collections/signature-editions/products/the-long-reach-signature-edition-ps4-1

EDIT: BTW, these are limited to 2000 units total.

I got my One More Dungeon shipping notice from Play-Asia this morning, so copies are now on the way.

I also noticed this HK version on Ebay as well, any info on this copy? Is it from the PA run, or is it a stand alone CE from the 1000 at PA? It seems to have the same contents as well as the numbered certificate. So I would think, these are part of the 1000, but who knows? For those who missed out, this may be a decent shot at a still decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PS-Vita-PSV-One-More-Dungeon-HK-Collectors-Limited-Edition/222852837082?hash=item33e3106eda:g:SdQAAOSwr85amTUq
That's just the PA run, I believe. They are located in Hong Kong... so.

I know a part of collecting smaller indie releases, LRG releases etc. is buying/selling/trading on ebay etc. 

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, that if you use ebay, you want to avoid the below buyer. He bought a couple of indie/LRG releases from me, and then claimed he didn't get them. 

If you use ebay, I suggest you block this guy or risk him also taking advantage of you. 

i_heart_vinyl_and_video_games

Ryan La Rue

PO Box 172

Colton, OR 97017

United States

I know a part of collecting smaller indie releases, LRG releases etc. is buying/selling/trading on ebay etc.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, that if you use ebay, you want to avoid the below buyer. He bought a couple of indie/LRG releases from me, and then claimed he didn't get them.

If you use ebay, I suggest you block this guy or risk him also taking advantage of you.

Ryan La Rue
PO Box 172
Colton, OR 97017
United States
That’s why (out of paranoia) I ALWAYS pay the little bit extra to get USPS insurance when dealing with anything that people get salty about. After a guy almost burned me on A Breath of the Wild Master Edition I don’t take any chances.

Ryan La Rue
PO Box 172
Colton, OR 97017
United States
Someone on the flipping Reddit has posted a badass reply to people you think are scamming you. Something along the lines of mail fraud being a felony and asking them to contact their postmaster and you'll contact the local police to file a mail tampering claim for them and hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue quickly. Also they point out in the message that the USPS has gps data for every delivery scan. The post shouldn't be hard to find.

If you sent something without tracking that's on you.

bread's done
Back