Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
EastAsiaSoft is doing a physical release of this. On sale next Thursday

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZThMe1bkrc[/media]

That game looks so damn good. I'm all over that one! I love how many Shmups they have done. It's like they're a publisher just for me! haha

Anyone else order Yoku’s Island Express from Amazon?

I pre-ordered back in February.

I was told my order was delayed (Que Seinfeld rental car reservation scene) until next month.

I just got an e-mail stating now my order will be arriving sometime BETWEEN AUGUST 8TH - SEPTEMBER 27TH.

I was told my order was delayed (Que Seinfeld rental car reservation scene) until next month.

I just got an e-mail stating now my order will be arriving sometime BETWEEN AUGUST 8TH - SEPTEMBER 27TH.
Didn't realize it had a physical, I got it on PC, it's pretty fun especially if you like pinball style stuff

I had the same situation and I ended up cancelling yesterday and ordering from Best Buy and the game shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. Amazon sometimes has trouble getting niche titles into their distribution centers on a timely basis to fulfill orders.

Strictly Limited Games will not have a game out for the month of june there next will be in july 

- Our July release will be a 2D Shoot 'Em Up!
- Beautiful Pixel-art graphics
- Local Co-Op Mode
- Challenging and unique bosses
- Tons of weapons and upgrades

Did we mention that the official soundtrack is wondrously brutal and will be available as a CD?
Sounds good? The game will be fully revealed in July.

Has anyone else had their PayPal payment for Ruiner returned? PayPal said it was returned because "Special Reserve Games is an International member who did not manually accept or deny this payment."

Special reserve tweeted earlier in the day that they had a bunch of PayPal payments reversed and we're trying to get to the bottom of it

Heads up: Play-Asia never refunded the shipping charge for Dimension Drive that I ordered 40 minutes after it went on sale (and they were charging shipping when they weren't supposed to) despite tweeting that they would automatically refund shipping on all orders within 48 hours.  However, I emailed them early this morning and they promptly removed the shipping cost after getting my email (so final cost $31.99 shipped after GEMATSU code for $3 off).  If you ordered during the time they were charging shipping I would recommend checking your order to make sure the shipping cost was removed and if not, email them.

Inner world the last Wind Monk is converted to pre-owned at gamestop and is $8. It *says* it includes the prequel, but I'm not sure if this is a download or on disc. If it has both full games, it has 2 platinums. May have been a low-key gamestop exclusive?

Anyway not seeing a ton of them available around online, so maybe grab it now.

Heads up: Play-Asia never refunded the shipping charge for Dimension Drive that I ordered 40 minutes after it went on sale (and they were charging shipping when they weren't supposed to) despite tweeting that they would automatically refund shipping on all orders within 48 hours. However, I emailed them early this morning and they promptly removed the shipping cost after getting my email (so final cost $31.99 shipped after GEMATSU code for $3 off). If you ordered during the time they were charging shipping I would recommend checking your order to make sure the shipping cost was removed and if not, email them.
Would you please link to the tweet? My Dimension Drive + X-Morph order definitely has an $11 shipping charge.

Inner world the last Wind Monk is converted to pre-owned at gamestop and is $8. It *says* it includes the prequel, but I'm not sure if this is a download or on disc. If it has both full games, it has 2 platinums. May have been a low-key gamestop exclusive?

Anyway not seeing a ton of them available around online, so maybe grab it now.
Looks like both games on are the disc.

Unboxing Video I found

Nice mine was complete then, thanks! I just popped it in. Got a 1gb patch but yeah both seem to be on there. I'll play through them next up. Hopefully there's not a third game that never gets physical. I hate that so much (ahem! Sam & max...)

Nice mine was complete then, thanks! I just popped it in. Got a 1gb patch but yeah both seem to be on there. I'll play through them next up. Hopefully there's not a third game that never gets physical. I hate that so much (ahem! Sam & max...)
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse it did have a physical release on PC and MAC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sam-Max-The-Devils-Playhouse-Pc-Brand-New-Sealed-Free-US-Ship-Nice/323318916955?hash=item4b474f275b:g:tkMAAOSwnONZD7ye

Has anyone else had their PayPal payment for Ruiner returned? PayPal said it was returned because "Special Reserve Games is an International member who did not manually accept or deny this payment."
They did for me and then SRG promptly sent me an email asking for repayment via PayPal friends and family, which I thought was odd. I briefly considered keeping money and probably would have if it was a big company that could absorb the cost, but my moral side kicked in and I repaid.

Don't want to see SRG go when they are the ones who will be doing the Metal Wolf Chaos DX release.

They did for me and then SRG promptly sent me an email asking for repayment via PayPal friends and family, which I thought was odd. I briefly considered keeping money and probably would have if it was a big company that could absorb the cost, but my moral side kicked in and I repaid.
Yeah, I've seen Paypal do shit like this more times then I care to speak of, as they often have stuff "red flagged" in their system, often with no rhyme or reasons why? The friends and family option is the only one where their own stupidity wont be a factor in regards to payments being made(and not reversed). Of course, there's no proper protection when funds are sent this way(so be aware of this), but for reputable places and people you have dealt with in the past, it's 100% safe.

Oh by the way, speaking of Ruiner I actually cracked my copy the other day and put it in my PS4 and the first thing it did was DL a 5GB patch, so that kind of sucks. Thought SRG made a point of mentioning they were holding games back after to make sure discs had all the patches after the criticism they received for Strafe.

Yeah, I had to grab Shikhondo, too. I love how many shmups EAS has been putting out, and this one easily tops all the rest for my excitement level. 

Yeah, I had to grab Shikhondo, too. I love how many shmups EAS has been putting out, and this one easily tops all the rest for my excitement level.
Ditto that. Shikhondo looks like a really great shmup. I particularly like the graphics that are used. Easy buy for me this morning.

Placed my preorder for Shikihondo Soul Eater PS4 on Play Asia. Don't forget to use code GEMATSU for an extra $3 off.
I placed an order for the PS4 and Switch versions. However, since the PS4 version is coming out in July and the Switch version at the end of the year I did it in two different orders. Bonus: used two different $3 off codes so the discount was actually bigger ordering in two orders then in one and using a $5 off code. Thank you PA for the free shipping!

Compulsion Games' We Happy Few successfully appealed Australian Classification Board previous decision to not rate the game, ACB changed their mind and the game is now rated R18+. It is unknown if there are any consession from CG (censoring/edit) to convince ACB

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Has anyone got in their LE copies of Rainbow Skies yet? Is the manual platform dependent (like smaller for Vita, larger for ps4) and does it fit in the case? Surprisingly, I can't find any unboxings for it yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Has anyone got in their LE copies of Rainbow Skies yet? Is the manual platform dependent (like smaller for Vita, larger for ps4) and does it fit in the case? Surprisingly, I can't find any unboxings for it yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Hasn't come for me yet. Just got my copy of Clannad today, which shipped on June 15 and Rainbow Skies shipped later in June than that. I'd expect it to be here late next week or early the following week assuming you're in the States. Play-Asia's shipping consistently takes around three weeks for me.

Hey, anyone here buy Shadow warrior 2 PC\PS4 bundle last year?? 

Anyways I bought a new computer about month or so ago. I tried to install the disc version of Shadow Warrior 2 and its asking for an activation code. I have no code. Also I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be DRM free.

Play Asia continues to kill it with their releases. Yet another great game. I'm finding myself having a lot of fun playing the games they have put out up to this point.

For all the people who backed Shantae Half-Genie Hero, it seems like they finally have all the physical rewards and will start shipping soon. I hope the stuff is worth... original delivery date was like Oct 14. 

For all the people who backed Shantae Half-Genie Hero, it seems like they finally have all the physical rewards and will start shipping soon. I hope the stuff is worth... original delivery date was like Oct 14.
Yep, got the message today as well. I'm just hoping stuff is shipped properly to avoid damage, but of course having some nice quality is key, as I probably won't care much if "shit" get's damaged. LOL

I hope the wait was worth it as well, as the physical extra's haven't seemed to be a high priority, but then again., maybe all this extra time was spent on making stuff the best it could be. I guess we'll be seeing reports soon enough.

bread's done
Back