Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any idea when Hard Copy Games are going to put their first two titles up for sale?

Really interested in getting both of them (The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human and Elliot Quest).

https://hardcopygames.com/
It will probably happen once that kid running the place actually figures out what the hell he's doing. If this place has any level of proper service, I will be blown away, as the interview I read for the top man sounded like a 10 year old playing business man for a school play or something. He didn't seem like he had any clue what was going on, or why he was in business. He just seemed to want to complain about LRG, and how he was going to be so much better at the limited game market.

The closet competitor to LRG is Play-Asia, and while I think their actually better in many ways, they don't do anywhere near the numbers LRG are doing. This kid will be lucky to make it to a Signature Games level, and that seems impossible based on what I've seen so far, but good luck to him either way.

It will probably happen once that kid running the place actually figures out what the hell he's doing. If this place has any level of proper service, I will be blown away, as the interview I read for the top man sounded like a 10 year old playing business man for a school play or something. He didn't seem like he had any clue what was going on, or why he was in business. He just seemed to want to complain about LRG, and how he was going to be so much better at the limited game market.

The closet competitor to LRG is Play-Asia, and while I think their actually better in many ways, they don't do anywhere near the numbers LRG are doing. This kid will be lucky to make it to a Signature Games level, and that seems impossible based on what I've seen so far, but good luck to him either way.
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Super Rare Games?

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Super Rare Games?
Yeah, Chis is confusing Hard Copy Games with Super Rare Games. I have no interest in collecting anything from Super Rare Games partly because of the name of their company but mostly because they aren't putting out R1 releases.

Hard Copy Games meanwhile is an Australian company I believe, but all their releases will be R1 ESRB-rated so I am definitely interested in collecting their stuff (at least until they decide to flood the market like LRG has).

Super Rare Games have yet to release anything that would remotely interest me.

Doesn't help that they keep doing the stupid teasing on levels way worse than LRG.

Did Rainbow Skies & Rainbow Moon have free shipping with them when you ordered? I'm on the waiting list and I just want to know.
I ordered Rainbow Skies in January for PS4 and Vita and was charged $10.90 shipping. Then I placed another order for the exact same games in May and I was charged $14.90 for shipping. In May they were running the B1G1 50% off sale. I placed the second order thinking I could cancel the earlier one, but they wouldn't let me. So now I'm stuck with duplicates. Interesting to note that they raised the shipping prices to compensate for the sale.

If there was free shipping with Rainbow Skies they aren't giving it to me on the waiting list, they're charging me for shipping.
Shipping wasn’t free on Rainbow Skies and Rainbow Moon. These were up for preorder at lower prices before free shipping was offered. They specifically mentioned that they couldn’t offer free shipping on these games when they announced free shipping for their releases.

LOL, yeah probably, sorry to mix them up, as to many "limited" offerings, and nothing really meaningful to separate the group. My Bad! :dunce:
Super rare is the one with the kid acting like he's gonna revolutionize the industry with his parents money right?

If there was free shipping with Rainbow Skies they aren't giving it to me on the waiting list, they're charging me for shipping.
Those games were never part of free shipping. They were among the last of their releases before the switch to free shipping.

Can anyone link me to the interviews where the owner of Super Rare Games is saying all these things? I read a few and was surprised to find out that he was only 19, but I didn't see anything about him complaining about LRG or acting like he's changing the industry.

From what I read it just seems like he's a young fella that decided to hop on the bandwagon.  He basically parrots a lot of what I hear from the other limited publishers. I did watch an unboxing of one of their releases and it came in neatly wrapped in some nice paper, sealed by a sticker with their logo.

I haven't purchased anything from them, but I haven't seen anything that bothers me or makes me think that they're incompetent, other than the fact that the head of the company is very young.

He's trying to copy what LRG does exactly. Their offerings are game, trading cards, and vinyls where they can get them.

I wonder where we've seen that. I've only read two interviews with the guy and he comes off as a douche.

I mean, yea, he is a copycat, but so are many of the others, just to a slightly less degree.

I dunno, I just haven't seen him being a douche or talkin' smack about his competitors. Not trying to endorse him, just going off what I've read and seen.

I mean, yea, he is a copycat, but so are many of the others, just to a slightly less degree.

I dunno, I just haven't seen him being a douche or talkin' smack about his competitors. Not trying to endorse him, just going off what I've read and seen.
Go to Twitter and read some of his tweets. George Perkins. I would still buy their games if they weren't complete utter garbage in my opinion.

Got my shipping notice today for Dimension Drive from Play-Asia.
Looking forward to receiving this in about three weeks. :bouncy:

I actually got into a Twitter argument with him at a certain point lol. He is a douche; he is very immature; and he is not even remotely professional (and this was the SRG twitter, not like his personal twitter, if he has one).

I have one super rare games release, Human Fall Flat on the switch. It came presented nicely and overall I was pretty satisfied. I've not heard about all this going on with them and should probably look into it. If I'm paying premium prices for these types of games I'd rather give my money to a company that deserves it

https://twitter.com/SuperRareGames/status/1019265477845999616

Available to order today. Ships August 18th

Sorry for the individual tweet posts but I tried posting them in one post and nothing showed up correctly.

Super Rare announced Nine Switch Games today with Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time available to order now.

Limited to 3,000 copies and ships on August 18. I may finally buy something from these guys this year.

I'm interested in Adventure Pals and the Fairune Collection.

I’m all about Knights of Pen & Paper. Guess I’ll be buying both of those at some point. Doesn’t seem like the site is getting much traction as none of their releases has sold out. Though that could be because they haven’t put up anything worth gambling on giving a new website money yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Limited Game copy has joined the fray. Red Art Games from France. There first release is

https://twitter.com/REDARTGAMES/status/1019598214415208448

Now I have to go find this interview.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-20-super-rare-games-bringing-limited-edition-indie-games-to-nintendo-switch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herein lies another motivation behind the founding of Super Rare Games: the chance for Perkins and his collector friends to "fix some of the mistakes" they believe are made by the likes of Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games et al.

"Our competitors are just trying to sign as much content as possible, whereas we're being much more picky, looking for the very best games that we've played, we've loved and we want to see [as part of this collection]," he says.

"We're trying to create the highest quality products available. Simple things like having pretty box art, having this gorgeous thing you can put on your shelf - I think that's something that's lacking from other competitors."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, their big innovations are things like numbered spines to encourage collecting a set....and trading cards. Doesn't sound familiar at all

"Our competitors are just trying to sign as much content as possible, whereas we're being much more picky, looking for the very best games that we've played, we've loved and we want to see [as part of this collection]," he says.

"We're trying to create the highest quality products available. Simple things like having pretty box art, having this gorgeous thing you can put on your shelf - I think that's something that's lacking from other competitors."
Definition of being more picky: signing games picked up by others for other systems and releasing them on the switch.

Definition of things lacking from competitors: pretty box (subjective) and thing you can put on your shelf (really? isn't that all everyone is doing anyway?)

084.png

Tempted by N++ Ultimate. I didn't know that was coming to the switch. I love the DS version of N+. I'll wait to see if we get an ESRB version from another company.

I've not bought a thing from SRG, but looking at the cover art on the limited games I've bought I have to agree with that one bit. Most of them are pretty low quality upon close inspection. Especially on the spines which sometimes don't line up perfectly or the backs. It's like they print these with lower resolution art assets than the big retail releases. Still, i bought the games not as collectables but to play them and have a physical copy... so I'm happy to have some of them even when their art really only looks great in online pics.

Fairune is cool enough I guess, though I played Fairune, and it already felt a bit repetitive after playing for about 30 minutes.
I enjoyed Fairune on 3DS... but not sure I need a physical release on it. So many of these games I'd be perfectly fine if they stay digital because they are such small game experiences. But different strokes and all that.

I wonder where we've seen that. I've only read two interviews with the guy and he comes off as a douche.
Yeah, most of these guys running limited game publishing outfits have to sling a little BS to stand out so they can sell out and move on to the next score.

Another Limited Game copy has joined the fray. Red Art Games from France. There first release is

https://twitter.com/REDARTGAMES/status/1019598214415208448
Good, another company that specializes in non R1 releases that I can avoid. Unless they offer something unique besides the game (like Play Asia's affordable CEs) I generally avoid and don't collect anything other than R1.

SLG just announced their 8th release and it looks like another good one. Steredenn: Binary Stars (PS4) comes out next Saturday 7/28.

After watching the preview for it I’m in despite the bogus review quotes. I thought jeuxvideo was a fake website? Every time I look up a hack and see their site it has nothing but fake links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG just announced their 8th release and it looks like another good one. Steredenn: Binary Stars (PS4) comes out next Saturday 7/28.

After watching the preview for it I’m in despite the bogus review quotes. I thought jeuxvideo was a fake website? Every time I look up a hack and see their site it has nothing but fake links.
The game looks really cool. Very classic shmup. The graphics are a bit too minimalist for my preference, but they still look nice and consistent. I'll definitely be grabbing it, too.

Anyone else get their Shantae 1/2 Genie-Hero backer rewards and wanna post their thoughts on it? I just got my platinum pack (coin, OST CD, shirt, lenticular poster, hardcover artbook, and a digital copy of the game) and am pretty disappointed. The lenticular poster is nice but the artbook is kind of a joke- it's basically the same size as the one from the special edition the game launched with, except it has backer exclusive pages and is hardcover. Shirt is pretty cool design, and the CD and coin are just that. 

This is not $200 worth of stuff IMO (assuming the game digitally, was $30). 

bread's done
Back