Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a list of games published by UIG Entertainment in North America?
Transport Giant (PS4), Realms of Arkania Blades of Desitny (PS4), Professional Construction Simulator (PS4), Firefighters the Simulation (PS4), Firefighters Airport Fire Department (PS4), Professional Farmer American Dream (PS4), Forestry 2017 (PS4), Joe's Diner (PS4), Pineview Drive (PS4), Professional Farmer 2017 Gold (PS4). A couple were also published for Xbox One, but I didn't bother with those.

Transport Giant (PS4), Realms of Arkania Blades of Desitny (PS4), Professional Construction Simulator (PS4), Firefighters the Simulation (PS4), Firefighters Airport Fire Department (PS4), Professional Farmer American Dream (PS4), Forestry 2017 (PS4), Joe's Diner (PS4), Pineview Drive (PS4), Professional Farmer 2017 Gold (PS4). A couple were also published for Xbox One, but I didn't bother with those.
They have an ESRB-rated Switch game on their website: Firefighters The Simulation

http://www.uieg.de/index.php/console.html

I have to wonder if that was also one of these hard to find releases, or coming soon, or even canceled.

Got a update email from Arcade Distillery that they will be sending out codes for Mecho Wars and War Theatre. Don’t remember this from the original campaign and it’s the only update since.

Got a update email from Arcade Distillery that they will be sending out codes for Mecho Wars and War Theatre. Don’t remember this from the original campaign and it’s the only update since.
Interesting. I didn't get any codes or email, but I did back their Indiegogo campaign for 40 bucks just to see what would happen. Haven't heard anything about it since, but thought it was a pipe dream they would get those games out then and still think that now. Did the e-mail mention anything about the physical releases?

Not a peep, in fact it simply mentions he wanted to keep the update brief because he was posting from his phone, it’s posted on the Indie gogo page as well. I don’t remember anything about download codes during the campaign so a bit nervous this is a placebo for some upcoming news concerning the physical releases.

the same company (Arcade Distillery) posted this on kickstarter about SkullPirates physical vita release

"some people have raised concerns about the project being completed before Vita card production ends in North America and Europe. Just as a reminder, SkullPirates is being produced in Asia (through our publishing partner, EastAsiaSoft) where Vita cards will continue to be manufactured and will not be affected."

so maybe they are getting there vita carts from the same place for both projects 

the same company (Arcade Distillery) posted this on kickstarter about SkullPirates physical vita release

"some people have raised concerns about the project being completed before Vita card production ends in North America and Europe. Just as a reminder, SkullPirates is being produced in Asia (through our publishing partner, EastAsiaSoft) where Vita cards will continue to be manufactured and will not be affected."

so maybe they are getting there vita carts from the same place for both projects
I thought all Vita carts were produced in Asia tbh

the same company (Arcade Distillery) posted this on kickstarter about SkullPirates physical vita release

This information is not consistent with what LRG has said. They said that while Asia has a different pool of blank Vita carts and different deadlines, there is still an overall cap on the amount of carts remaining worldwide and at some point, all of it will be spoken for. I am starting to question how Arcade Distillery is going to deliver on any of their remaining Vita projects given that the number of preorders for all three of their promised games were in the hundreds of copies and not thousands.

I'm not finding much actual info on it, but at some point in the near future the PS4 should be getting some more physical Nicalis games. On Ebay I won promo copies of both 1001 Spikes and Runner 3 but I can't find any release info or production information on either of them. Rumor has it that Nicalis may open there own storefront online, so this is where I expect these to pop up, if they are going to seriously publish them.

I'm not finding much actual info on it, but at some point in the near future the PS4 should be getting some more physical Nicalis games. On Ebay I won promo copies of both 1001 Spikes and Runner 3 but I can't find any release info or production information on either of them. Rumor has it that Nicalis may open there own storefront online, so this is where I expect these to pop up, if they are going to seriously publish them.
Yeah, that's the guess right now. Switch releases at retail (at least Remilore and Crystal Crisis) and PS4 and Vita releases on their website.

It's getting harder to keep up with some of these releases now, they are starting to really churn out. I saw this one on Amazon last week along with a few other interesting THQ titles.

Most of my meager switch collection, I can't confirm or deny that I play Just Dance with my kids.

I wonder why Super Bomberman R, Just Dance 2017 and Has Been Heroes were allowed to have non standard font on the spines?

You can put 2 games on a Switch cart without one of them having to be a download code? Mind blown. :D

I wonder why Super Bomberman R, Just Dance 2017 and Has Been Heroes were allowed to have non standard font on the spines?
I think this is because it was so early in the Switch's life. Something similar happened with Xbox One where some spines were black way back in 2013/early 2014. Same goes for Binding of Isaac. When Binding of Isaac got a reprint, the spine font was standardized. I assume they were just getting things started and some of these things fell by the wayside. This is just speculation, but from history these types of non-standard fonts seem to slip through early in the console's life cycle.

Ghoulboy Limited Edition on sale this week! PS4 and PS VITA
10AM ET / 7AM PT / February 14th

[attachment=31803:ghoulboy-limited-edition-584895.16.jpg]

Limited Edition:
- Collector’s Box
- Game Cart/Disc (Region Free)
- Full Color Manual
- Original Soundtrack
- Numbered Certificate

Standard Edition: $24.99
Limited Edition: $34.99
Free shipping available worldwide!

This one looks like fun.

attachicon.gif
ghoulboy-limited-edition-584895.16.jpg

Limited Edition:
- Collector’s Box
- Full Color Manual
- Original Soundtrack
- Numbered Certificate

This one looks like fun.
Theres so many titles coming out this week. Ghoul boy, light tracer, qube2 and probably another lrg title at the end of the week.

Ghoulboy looks pretty cool, but I'll wait for PA's essentially guaranteed Switch release. This game is already on the Switch eShop so it's only a matter of time.

Anyone in the US ever order from Signature Edition games in the UK?  I'm kind of new to this limited release thing and only have experience with LRG at this point.  They have a couple of Switch releases I'd like to get the CE's for: Slain and Moonlighter.

Anyone in the US ever order from Signature Edition games in the UK? I'm kind of new to this limited release thing and only have experience with LRG at this point. They have a couple of Switch releases I'd like to get the CE's for: Slain and Moonlighter.
I’ve ordered a lot from them. They package really well and prolly a 5-10 day delievery window.
I have moonlighter CE and it’s fantastic.

Anyone in the US ever order from Signature Edition games in the UK? I'm kind of new to this limited release thing and only have experience with LRG at this point. They have a couple of Switch releases I'd like to get the CE's for: Slain and Moonlighter.
i have ordered from them my CE box for slain ps4 came badly damaged because of the way they package there games for shipping crammed in a small box with no padding at all I contacted them and they never got back to me I am not the only one that has had problems with them there has been many post about them in this thread

i have ordered from them my CE box for slain ps4 came badly damaged because of the way they package there games for shipping crammed in a small box with no padding at all I contacted them and they never got back to me I am not the only one that has had problems with them there has been many post about them in this thread
They did revise their packaging after the complaints from Slain and a few of their other earlier releases. I remember getting like three emails about it.

They did revise their packaging after the complaints from Slain and a few of their other earlier releases. I remember getting like three emails about it.
It actually took them a lot longer than their "earlier" releases to fix all the complaints and their customer service is still terrible. The new packaging is more like a box and not one of those cardboard folders, but there is still little padding inside. They have definitely improved the packaging, but I would still say order with caution.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/trine-2-complete-story-for-switch-launches-february-18-trine-series-1-3-physical-edition-launches-this-spring

Trine 2: Complete Story will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop on February 18 for $16.99 / €16.99 / £15.29, followed by Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power “soon,” developer Frozenbyte announced.
The Switch version of Trine 2: Complete Story will run at 900p resolution and 30 frames per second docked, and 720p resolution and 30 frames per second in handheld mode. It will support up to three players in local and online co-op, including local wireless.

Additionally, Frozenbyte announced that publisher GameTrust will release a physical Trine Series 1-3 collection including all three Trine games on one game card. It is available for pre-order today exclusive at GameStop stores and online, and will launch this spring for $39.99.
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/trine-series-1-3/173287

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW8MYPFqTss

Is there a release date for Ghost Blade HD on the Switch from Play-Asia? I recall them announcing the Switch port a ways back but it still doesn't seem to have a pre-order page on their website.

I would have thought GameStop gave up on publishing games after dumping their De-Formers stock when the servers were shut down and converting Has-Been Heroes stock to preowned and still not being able to clear them out at $5.

I already have 4 versions of Ghost Blade (2 different ones on Dreamcast and 2 different ones on PS4). I'd definitely consider a switch version, though--portable tate mode shmups are really hard to pass up. 

I would have thought GameStop gave up on publishing games after dumping their De-Formers stock when the servers were shut down and converting Has-Been Heroes stock to preowned and still not being able to clear them out at $5.
Bendy and Katamari were gamestop physical exclusives and both went OOS for a bit, they're probably just not taking gambles on titles

Bendy and Katamari were gamestop physical exclusives and both went OOS for a bit, they're probably just not taking gambles on titles
Tyrok's point is that the Trine Collection will be published by GameTrust, Gamestop's publishing arm. Bendy and Katamari were published by Rooster Teeth and Bandai-Namco, respectively.

attachicon.gif
ghoulboy-limited-edition-584895.16.jpg

Limited Edition:
- Collector’s Box
- Full Color Manual
- Original Soundtrack
- Numbered Certificate

This one looks like fun.
Looks like the standard $3 off coupon codes are working for this release as well. $31.99 shipped is a pretty good deal.

[quote name="kevers7290" post="14130407" timestamp="1550159744"]

As I stated above, this game is on the Nintendo eShop, so a Switch release is very likely.[/quotI can't find it on the USeshop?

I need to find that annoyed pigeon meme where he's trying to talk to the Crow about a game and all the Crow will say is "Where's the Nintendo Switch version" lol. 

The Vita version of Ghoul-Boy sold out relatively fast today, took about an hour and a half or so. Not much left of the PS4 version either.

The Vita version of Ghoul-Boy sold out relatively fast today, took about an hour and a half or so. Not much left of the PS4 version either.
Yeah, it seems a mad dash for all things Vita near the end. Crazy how quick some titles have been selling out recently.

bread's done
Back