Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do Special Reserve games typically include extras for copies sold on their site? I've never ordered from them.
Recently they have included an outer box and an art book of some kind on the versions sold on their site versus what Limited Run has offered for the same games. Don't know how they will handle this one.

From a recent interview June 9, 2019

Trying to release Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX physically in NA/EU

“We want to do a physical release in North America and Europe. Inti Creates is able to self-publish in both Japan and Asia, but we need to work with a partner to do that everywhere else. We’re currently in talks with partners we’ve worked with in the past to produce physical versions of our games, but nothing is set in stone just yet. But we are in talks with different companies about that. We want to do it. But I think the biggest caveat to it all is that we may not be able to do it in time for the digital release. If we can that would be wonderful, but there’s definitely a big chance that if we do a physical release in North America and Europe, it’ll be out after the digital release.”

In other words it's not confirmed other than digitally. Inti Creates really wants to bring out a physical NA/EU version, but would need a partner to publish it.

Skybound's having a 30% off sale: https://store.skybound.com/collections/sale

Picked up Slime Rancher and Death's Gambit, but they've got a bunch of other stuff on their site as well. I don't think the sale applies to pre-orders like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. There's free shipping over a certain amount but I couldn't find that amount listed anywhere (my $33 order qualified for a vague frame of reference).

Used code NEW10 on Skybound store for an additional 10% off which stacked with the sale prices. Picked up Slime Rancher, Walking Dead Definitive Collection and Death's Gambit for PS4 with free shipping.

Used code NEW10 on Skybound store for an additional 10% off which stacked with the sale prices. Picked up Slime Rancher, Walking Dead Definitive Collection and Death's Gambit for PS4 with free shipping.
does TWD definitive have all content on disc? might grab that as well for FS

All 3(switch, ps4, vita) bring the same content right? I think someone mentioned the vita didnt bring a game manual but now the description corrects it and say it will bring a game manual as well. But just to be sure, all 3 versions will have the same content right???

No the Vita is missing at least one mode
What mode is this? and where can i get more information about this(i dont see anything in their product page that says the Vita is missing a mode)??

EDIT

Nevermind, i saw their twitter. The Vita is missing "Timeless Mode" which

using 3D graphics and remastered music, which is targeted to beginners and allows 4 player couch co-op

Got hung up on the final processing order screen for a lot longer than usual with SLG, but was able to get the Vasara Vita CE, PS4 vanilla, and art card. Really stoked about this release for both platforms. Most every SLG release is something I very much want to play. Glad they made 199 art cards instead of 99 because they went very very fast. Were already sold out by the time I went immediately to the store after my order was placed.

Got hung up on the final processing order screen for a lot longer than usual with SLG, but was able to get the Vasara Vita CE, PS4 vanilla, and art card. Really stoked about this release for both platforms. Most every SLG release is something I very much want to play. Glad they made 199 art cards instead of 99 because they went very very fast. Were already sold out by the time I went immediately to the store after my order was placed.

I was very disappointed I missed the card. I even started as soon as the checkout was available and I still missed the art card.

If anyone missed out on Vasara and don't want to wait until the second batch go up tomorrow, everyone's pal Chris has the Vita CEs up on ebay already for $96 plus $10 shipping, plus all the other editions as well for super "low" prices. FYI for anyone not familiar with SLG, second batches usually sell quite a bit slower than the first batches, so I doubt it will be a huge issue getting any of the editions as long as you don't drag your feet too long. Obviously Vita will sell out first, but it shouldn't be LRG/crapshoot territory.

I was very disappointed I missed the card. I even started as soon as the checkout was available and I still missed the art card.
That's a bummer. I must have been one of the last people to get one because I went directly to the site after checkout and the art plates were already gone. I checked out about as fast as humanly possible. There will be more cards up for sale in the second batch.

That's a bummer. I must have been one of the last people to get one because I went directly to the site after checkout and the art plates were already gone. I checked out about as fast as humanly possible. There will be more cards up for sale in the second batch.
There is no limit on the cards so they are always the first to go.

There is no limit on the cards so they are always the first to go.
I never even noticed that there was no limit. I just assumed there was a 1 per person limit since there are usually only around 100 available, and 200 for some games that get a Switch/Sony release. They definitely are the first to go. I've always had good luck getting them thank goodness even though they do sell out crazy quick.

Do you know which day, time and time zone? I'd like a 2nd shot.

I never even noticed that there was no limit. I just assumed there was a 1 per person limit since there are usually only around 100 available, and 200 for some games that get a Switch/Sony release. They definitely are the first to go. I've always had good luck getting them thank goodness even though they do sell out crazy quick.
its a a art card, why even bother, include it in the CE. These cards go for as much or more than the stupid games!

its a a art card, why even bother, include it in the CE. These cards go for as much or more than the stupid games!
They are actually pretty nice. Made of 3mm aluminum plate and backed by a thick panel of some sort of acrylic. They aren't really cards in the traditional sense. Yeah, some of them are stupid expensive. The only one I see on ebay for R-Type is $249 plus shipping. Certainly not worth that IMO, but for the $11 they cost from SLG they are a cool collectible and display piece. I guess if people are into reselling they are also easy money, depending on the game.

what a shitshow. everything kept going out of stock on me because the site redirecting me at checkout. Forced to get the CE instead of the standard, can't remember the last time I had so many issues purchasing from them

Went back to get a vanilla Vasara Vita for a friend today after getting what I needed yesterday. This is the first time I can remember SLG having these kind of issues, especially on a second run. Wasn't as bad as some of the bigger LRG releases in terms of time taken to sell out, but it was fast by SLG standards. I think scalpers are catching on that SLG games generally have more value on the market than games from other limited run companies.

On a side note, I really hope SLG and others can offer up some more shmups before the Vita carts are completely gone. I really appreciate the fact that Vasara was released on Vita.

what a shitshow. everything kept going out of stock on me because the site redirecting me at checkout. Forced to get the CE instead of the standard, can't remember the last time I had so many issues purchasing from them
I had the opposite issue... Tried to add the standard and CE to cart, and the "add to cart" button never appeared on the CE page. The last time that happened, I was able to access the site through mobile to checkout. This time, the mobile site was completely down... I ended up figuring out how to add to cart through the main store page, instead of relying on the individual item pages.

bread's done
Back