Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'm aware of that, I was mostly joking. But I am really impressed with the extras and details and this is what I expect in a limited product.

Anyone grab an extra switch copy of the messenger? In kicking my own ass for sleeping on it and I want one for a decent price. I also have some trade fodder.

I think it is the director's cut minus the extra cutscenes.
That's the main feature of the director's cut, though. The other changes I know of (better map, control improvements) didn't really add anything. The new cutscenes were pretty enthralling if you liked the game.

I know you can just look cutscenes up on YouTube nowadays, but it feels like a weird choice not to include them in a fancy new edition.

Read a few reviews and apparently it’s not the Directors cut and performs worse than the 360 original. Really disappointed if true.
Another old "new" Switch release. How could it not be disappointing?

I just received my PS4 and Switch copies of Minit from Special Reserve Games... shipped in a bubble mailer. Wtf... They obviously arrived damaged, so I'll have to contact them. My copies of Messenger came recently in the normal SRG box, and arrived pristine. Did anyone else get their copies of Minit shipped in a bubble mailer!?!?

I just received my PS4 and Switch copies of Minit from Special Reserve Games... shipped in a bubble mailer. Wtf... They obviously arrived damaged, so I'll have to contact them. My copies of Messenger came recently in the normal SRG box, and arrived pristine. Did anyone else get their copies of Minit shipped in a bubble mailer!?!?
Mine came in the same box that the Messenger was shipped in. That is beyond dumb to me. They clearly put effort into making their products look nice, why piss it all away by shipping them in a bubble mailer? Did they charge you any extra to ship two items?

SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII's Nintendo Switch physical edition arrives on Wednesday, September 25th! at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, 6pm UK time.

The Standard Edition is $29.99 USD. The Collector's Edition is $44.99 USD

https://vblank-entertainment.myshopify.com/

The Collector's Edition is limited to 4,000 copies and comes in a special collector's box. It includes an exclusive mini figure of The CEO character with a removable stand, a color manual, and of course... a cartridge! It's region free and supports all Nintendo Switch systems, worldwide.

SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII's Nintendo Switch physical edition arrives on Wednesday, September 25th! at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, 6pm UK time.

The Standard Edition is $29.99 USD. The Collector's Edition is $44.99 USD

https://vblank-entertainment.myshopify.com/

The Collector's Edition is limited to 4,000 copies and comes in a special collector's box. It includes an exclusive mini figure of The CEO character with a removable stand, a color manual, and of course... a cartridge! It's region free and supports all Nintendo Switch systems, worldwide.
Guess he's got to find some way to get rid of all those tiny poor quality figures.

Mine came in the same box that the Messenger was shipped in. That is beyond dumb to me. They clearly put effort into making their products look nice, why piss it all away by shipping them in a bubble mailer? Did they charge you any extra to ship two items?
No, they didn't. It's pretty weird for sure... I already contacted them about it, and I'm waiting to hear back.

No, they didn't. It's pretty weird for sure... I already contacted them about it, and I'm waiting to hear back.
The same thing happened to me. I contacted them yesterday for replacement cardboard boxes and got this response today:

“Really sorry to hear this. I will be able to get you new boxes in the near future, but we are currently dealing with a high volume of requests right now, so please bear with us”

The same thing happened to me. I contacted them yesterday for replacement cardboard boxes and got this response today:

“Really sorry to hear this. I will be able to get you new boxes in the near future, but we are currently dealing with a high volume of requests right now, so please bear with us”
Wow. I wonder why they are getting a high volume of requests... [emoji849]

Wow. I wonder why they are getting a high volume of requests... [emoji849]
  1. Damaged items (it happens, shipping services aren't kind and apparently they used bubble mailers)
  2. Incorrect items (some people got their games for the wrong platform)
  3. Misdelivered items (shipping address changes didn't take in their system)
Those are the issues I know of, at least. After having to delay Minit and Messenger so long, I'm guessing they wanted to get everything out as quickly as possible and it backfired on them.

I also got my games today and they were also kind of thrown into a large bubble mailer. Luckily (and surprisingly) they arrived in good condition with only one of the game boxes showing a slight crease. Not enough for me to contact them about.

Anyway, I noticed the return address said "SRG Returns" so I have to wonder if these were games that were originally sent to wrong addresses and returned and re-packaged (and since they were out of their custom shipping boxes they went in bubble mailers). Just a theory of course, but it is very odd that SRG packaged them in bubble mailers, considering the high quality of the game boxes and the hard work that went into creating them.

both my orders minit and messenger from SRG both of them came in a box my copy of minit from LRG came in a bubble mailer

I got the bubble mailer but by some miracle it was fine. I REALLY like the Special Reserve packaging, Nice touch to have the dev names on the spine.

Looks like Aggelos is NOT getting a NA release, they confirmed. Best bet is the region free European one - I purchased mine off Playasia and paid $7 for shipping. It’s all pending availability so hopefully it ships ok

Looks like Aggelos is NOT getting a NA release, they confirmed. Best bet is the region free European one - I purchased mine off Playasia and paid $7 for shipping. It’s all pending availability so hopefully it ships ok
Where did you read this? I have been waiting news to see if the game will be getting a NA release

Note sure if this is considered "obscure" or not but PA announced a Switch version of FF7/FF8 remastered. Says both games are on the cart and no download is needed. Pretty sure FFVIII Remastered is digital only in the US so this might be the only way to get a physical copy for the english version.

Has anybody used them before and know if they ship in boxes?
There is a little box during checkout to add comments. If you ask them to ship in a box, then you'll get your stuff shipped in a box at no additional charge. I've used VG+ a lot over the years, and this has always been the case--even for an order of just two standard edition games. After all, it makes a very small difference to the first class package price (potentially none at all).

i know someone mentioned this in the past. make sure u pay using paypal when buying stuff rom VGP. I and many others got fraud on the credit card acct.

Someone on ebay is selling songbird symphony for switch cheap. I got mine for like $23 shipped. Apparently it's someone I've bought from previously too (said it in the page). Jfyi! Looks like 4 or 5 copies left.

i know someone mentioned this in the past. make sure u pay using paypal when buying stuff rom VGP. I and many others got fraud on the credit card acct.
Yeah I was one of those that got zapped ordering from VGP with a CC. Other than that, they were a great company to deal with.

So apparently VBlank is already sold out of the standard Switch copy of Shakedown Hawaii?  Only option left is the overpriced CE for $44.99?  How many did they have of the standard??

Seems very fishy that standard sold out so quick. I was on site within 5 min and they were all gone.
Yeah, they advertised 4000 of the CE but never game a number for the standard as far as I know. It almost seems like they had maybe 1000 of the standard (for 5K total), which is bullshit since I assumed the standard would have a higher print. It sounds like the CE was just a way to get rid of all the cheap figurines.

While at Walmart today I noticed they were selling World of Simulators for PS4 from UIG Entertainment.  It contains 4 of their previously released games, of which 3 were nearly impossible to find outside of Canada.  It contained Forestry, Professional Construction, Firefighters and Professional Farming. Price was $29.88.

bread's done
Back