Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see the fatigue of these limited prints setting in. I would have pegged Xenocrisis as a instant sellout, granted it looks as if it will sell the first run out within the hour.

Xeno Crisis looks to be another slow seller for Strictly Limited Games. Lode Runner still sitting at around 50% for both PS4 versions. Xeno Crisis PS4 is sitting at around 70% availability 30 mins in on the second batch. It's not like there were a lot of copies up for sale to begin with. Still quite a few copies left of some other recent releases as well.

Three reasons I think SLG are struggling to move copies as of late:

1) They used to ship games out in a timely manner. I now have 6 orders that I have yet to receive. Considering they only put out stuff once a month, that is quite a delay. A lot of money tied up in games I have yet to receive. They've explained their situation, and I am cool with that, but I'm sure many customers are not happy about ordering games and not getting anything for months on end.

2) They are usually putting out the same titles for both Switch and PS4, with collector's and vanilla editions for each.

3) The market seems to be over-saturated with indie releases that, after shipping, are normally quite expensive compared to what they cost digitally. Obviously consumers are being more selective with so many titles releasing physically.

I hope SLG figures things out. They don't have the margin for error that LRG has. I buy most every Sony game and art card release from SLG because I really like the games they put out. It's not like they are putting out shovelware.

Xeno Crisis looks to be another slow seller for Strictly Limited Games. Lode Runner still sitting at around 50% for both PS4 versions. Xeno Crisis PS4 is sitting at around 70% availability 30 mins in on the second batch. It's not like there were a lot of copies up for sale to begin with. Still quite a few copies left of some other recent releases as well.

Three reasons I think SLG are struggling to move copies as of late:

1) They used to ship games out in a timely manner. I now have 6 orders that I have yet to receive. Considering they only put out stuff once a month, that is quite a delay. A lot of money tied up in games I have yet to receive. They've explained their situation, and I am cool with that, but I'm sure many customers are not happy about ordering games and not getting anything for months on end.
This is one thing I like about Super Rare Games, they ship the game shorty after announcement. I get depressed when I think of my SLG orders. My Vasara Switch order was placed on vacation in July 2019. And most of their titles are in the same stretched 6 Month cycle.

I picked up Xeno Crisis (Switch) over the weekend and got a copy of UltraCore (Switch) on ebay for a decent price.
Seller accepted my best offer which was nice so I only paid about $5 more than buying it from SLG.
I missed the sale on this when it was available.

I went to check on my Amazon list to see if Terminator Resistance had dropped any in price. To my surprise it's sold out, not only on Amazon but everywhere. GameStop, Best Buy, Walmart. I can't find it. I'm guessing it got a pretty low print run, anyone know?

I went to check on my Amazon list to see if Terminator Resistance had dropped any in price. To my surprise it's sold out, not only on Amazon but everywhere. GameStop, Best Buy, Walmart. I can't find it. I'm guessing it got a pretty low print run, anyone know?
Must have been a really low print run since they wanted $60 for it at launch. Can't imagine many people were happy paying full price for it considering the average to bad reviews.

A few reviewers have recently given it props for being a decent movie tie-in (thinking Zero Punctuation and Jim Sterling), it may have taken a while to catch steam.

Must've just gone out of stock at Amazon. It was available a couple days ago. Was also hoping for a price drop. At this point, I'll hold out for a PSN sale.

I think the disc factories are just backed up right now. A lot of games that sold out due to great holiday prices (like RE2) are taking forever to get restocked at my store. Same with a lot of movies too.

Hopefully that's accurate. FWIW, Amazon has the XONE version in stock with the note "Only 10 left in stock (more on the way)", so that may indicate it'll get additional prints.

I honestly didn’t know Afla Systems was around yet, The only review it right of it wasn’t too great. Fyi Xenocrisis Switch sold out at Strictly Limited, PS4 version is still available.

https://twitter.com/REDARTGAMES/status/1223169046637662209?s=20
Hard pass on anything with Luc/Arcade Distillery's name attached at this point. Between the Skullpirates Kickstarter and the Indiegogo fiasco I have no desire to support him. Even in the responses in that thread, he's being a dick to someone complaining about the poor communication surrounding Indiegogo.

Can't believe people would actually want anything made by them. All of their games are terrible. The problem is the OCD hoarders buy this shit. 

If you clink on the tweet, you'll be treated with the man himself acting like a dick to someone's comment.

i just thought it was funny that after all the stuff going on with arcade distillery the kickstarter and indiegogo being late to deliver that companies would still do business with them     

If you clink on the tweet, you'll be treated with the man himself acting like a dick to someone's comment.
Hmm... I've always thought poorly of the dude since the Destructoid fiasco, I think all his games look (and presumably play) like absolute shit, but IMHO he's not being that bad to the one guy? Maybe a bit playful but not a dick.

For the game's I've played Plague Road and Mecho Tales, and I felt they were style over substance. Plague Road was boring as heck and put me to sleep playing it on the Switch. Yes I feel asleep with a Switch in my hand. I was in bed so it wasn't terrible. The main fights give jack so you just avoid and the fighting system was near horrible. Just a bad game I really wanted to like. The other game Mecho Tales was just average at best. The art looked aight, but it was kind of just OK. I gave up on it after an hour.

On another note Sisters Royale looks like my type of game, and I don't just mean cause of the anime ladies. I enjoyed Castle of Shikigami series (played the PS2 ones) and it was a lot of fun. I wasn't amazing at them, but they were a bit more forgiving than some shmup. 

Plague Road was boring as heck and put me to sleep playing it on the Switch. Yes I feel asleep with a Switch in my hand.
c17.png

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to check this game out and was waiting for a price drop. It's kind of odd that it sold out everywhere.

I managed to find the xb1 version at Bull Moose. Estarland has copies too.

Both the PS4 and Xone versions of Terminator Resistance can be ordered from Amazon now. It says they'll ship in 1-2 months. Must be an incoming reprint.

I had ordered a copy of Terminator for PS4 from bullmoose last week, and received an email that it had been canceled due to no stock and was issued a refund. Amazon now shows just a third party reseller for PS4 while Xbox can be still ordered. Wonder if the PS4 version will go the way of Godzilla.

I had ordered a copy of Terminator for PS4 from bullmoose last week, and received an email that it had been canceled due to no stock and was issued a refund. Amazon now shows just a third party reseller for PS4 while Xbox can be still ordered. Wonder if the PS4 version will go the way of Godzilla.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Seems like a very similar situation with Godzilla. People who like the franchise, like the game, but most review sites don't. It'll be interesting to see.

No, that Godzilla game is terrible. Awful graphics, controls and slow gameplay. Those early 2000's Atari published games were way better.

Judging from videos that Terminator game atleast looks decent. 

The Kickstarter page says that backers receive exclusive Kickstarter cover art, so I’m assuming they will have a wide release at some point.

EDIT:
“Physical copies of The Wonderful 101: Remastered distributed as backer rewards will include a Special Backers Only Kickstarter-exclusive cover!”

The Kickstarter page says that backers receive exclusive Kickstarter cover art, so I’m assuming they will have a wide release at some point.

EDIT:
“Physical copies of The Wonderful 101: Remastered distributed as backer rewards will include a Special Backers Only Kickstarter-exclusive cover!”
So wait for drop and have nostalgia fading and have it selling for cheaper aka Shenmue 3. I do want to play but will just wait. I only do Kickstarters for exclusives I care for, ones that need help I want to see funded, or excellent discounts.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Seems like a very similar situation with Godzilla. People who like the franchise, like the game, but most review sites don't. It'll be interesting to see.
Better get them now before prices skyrocket especially with a franchise like Terminator.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's not flying off the shelves at my store. Still the same amount from when it was first brought up that it might be rare.

It's not flying off the shelves at my store. Still the same amount from when it was first brought up that it might be rare.
Really, Bc it pretty much sold out at all online retailers and sells for a 100 plus on Ebay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back