Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
How nice of Devolver to do this when LRG still hasn't shipped us their exclusive variants of HL1 & 2 on PS4 from last August. :wall:
Jeez really? I already got mine from SRG a while ago; didn't even realize it had already been that long since they opened orders for it.

$30 for hotline miami collection on switch seems quite fair.   I'm really tempted to grab that.

Noticed the preorder is up for The Silver Case 2425 Deluxe Edition on switch at BB.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-silver-case-2425-deluxe-edition-nintendo-switch/6456994.p?skuId=6456994

Not sure if that's a new listing or not... I don't keep up with these things that closely and hadn't seen it before.

Same for smt III preorders: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-hd-remaster-nintendo-switch/6457727.p?skuId=6457727

I have never ordered from VGNY Soft before.  After browsing their selection, I am thinking about ordering a couple switch games that they have in stock.  Do they ever offer any coupons or codes for free shipping that you guys are aware of?

I have never ordered from VGNY Soft before. After browsing their selection, I am thinking about ordering a couple switch games that they have in stock. Do they ever offer any coupons or codes for free shipping that you guys are aware of?
I ordered a few switch games from them and had the games in about a week. I recommend them. Here are some codes that MIGHT work on their site.

https://www.couponbirds.com/codes/vgnysoft.com

Jeez really? I already got mine from SRG a while ago; didn't even realize it had already been that long since they opened orders for it.
Really? Are you talking about the Switch version? I'm still waiting on my PS4 copies of 1 and 2 from Special Rerserve. Kind of annoyed this is coming out now for half the price and on one disc instead of 2.

So not sure if this is limited or not. Walked into a local game store today and discovered they had Raiden IV Switch. The employee told me they were the only store ( in granted their small chain) to get a copy because another employee wanted one and ordered a extra. Looking online I’m only seeing Amazon and Deep Discount as a option for purchase.

So not sure if this is limited or not. Walked into a local game store today and discovered they had Raiden IV Switch. The employee told me they were the only store ( in granted their small chain) to get a copy because another employee wanted one and ordered a extra. Looking online I’m only seeing Amazon and Deep Discount as a option for purchase.
If you're referring to Raiden IV x MIKADO Remix, Gamestop also has it available for shipping:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/games/products/raiden-iv-x-mikado-remix/11122589.html

Looks like Limited Rare Games is starting to ship out copies of Tamashii (PS4) that some of us preordered last Halloween night.

Looks like Limited Rare Games is starting to ship out copies of Tamashii (PS4) that some of us preordered last Halloween night.
I received mine on Monday. I didn't think I was going to get it because I put in a manual order late. The Paypal payment showed that it wouldn't be received until 4/1/21, 5 months after the order was placed. Thought about disputing the payment, but good thing I didn't.

My copy of Tamashii finally showed up on Thursday.  Looks like it was shipped from some address in Wisconsin according to the return label.

LRG getting sneaky trying to hide where these are coming from lol.

My copy of Tamashii finally showed up on Thursday. Looks like it was shipped from some address in Wisconsin according to the return label.

LRG getting sneaky trying to hide where these are coming from lol.
The address on the label is an abandoned distribution center that is currently up for sale. The address on the game case is a house in Austin, Texas that is apparently the real registered business address of Digerati. I believe the tracking shows the games actually shipped out of a postal facility in Austin, TX.

The address on the label is an abandoned distribution center that is currently up for sale. The address on the game case is a house in Austin, Texas that is apparently the real registered business address of Digerati. I believe the tracking shows the games actually shipped out of a postal facility in Austin, TX.
Putting falsified return information sounds illegal tbh

Admittedly, I will just be excited if my copy shows up sometime (regardless of where it shipped from)...

Putting falsified return information sounds illegal tbh
I'm pretty sure it isn't. Return information is not even required, and I do think some deliberately put different return addresses because they feel uncomfortable providing their actual locations. A poor man's P.O. Box, I guess.

Any chance the Ace Attorney Chronicles game will have a lower print run or be hard to find?  I know its up for pre-order now.  I won't get to playing it for some time so I am in no rush to buy it.  However if it will go OOP quick I will just buy it now so i won't have to pay more later.  Any thoughts?

Any chance the Ace Attorney Chronicles game will have a lower print run or be hard to find? I know its up for pre-order now. I won't get to playing it for some time so I am in no rush to buy it. However if it will go OOP quick I will just buy it now so i won't have to pay more later. Any thoughts?
You could preorder or buy at launch from somewhere with a 30-day return period, then make a decision whether or not to keep the game on Day 28-30 based on availability at that time.

Any chance the Ace Attorney Chronicles game will have a lower print run or be hard to find? I know its up for pre-order now. I won't get to playing it for some time so I am in no rush to buy it. However if it will go OOP quick I will just buy it now so i won't have to pay more later. Any thoughts?
Usually capcom published stuff sticks around for a while after launch. Will it be a year... no telling... but I think it's safe to wait to see if anything happens in the first couple months. That said, if you know you 100% want the game and will play it... then given Walmart and Target haven't put it up for preorder.. may mean that getting a discount near launch is less likely and it might be worth it to just lock in a copy now. Tough call, if I were still buying the game I'd lock in a preorder... but I opt not to wait for games I 100% want and will play near launch.

For myself, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am really good at collecting games for series I like, but garbage at playing them all. I've owned every (I think) NA released physical DS/3DS Ace Attorney game for ages and honestly I've only played through the first game completely and that was well over a decade ago. So, I'm questioning my own actual interest and am likely passing completely and re-evaluating if I should just sell off the games I own in that series as I'm likely never playing them as much as I want to make myself. But that's me. If you are diehard into the series and want to insure you get a copy... might as well preorder and be done. The best discount will probably be around $7 off if there even is one.

Usually capcom published stuff sticks around for a while after launch. Will it be a year... no telling... but I think it's safe to wait to see if anything happens in the first couple months. That said, if you know you 100% want the game and will play it... then given Walmart and Target haven't put it up for preorder.. may mean that getting a discount near launch is less likely and it might be worth it to just lock in a copy now. Tough call, if I were still buying the game I'd lock in a preorder... but I opt not to wait for games I 100% want and will play near launch.
Just a heads up, Walmart does have it for preorder. I know that wasn't your overall point, but I thought I'd put it out there.

I'm hoping it will get the Walmart discount in stores.

Just a heads up, Walmart does have it for preorder. I know that wasn't your overall point, but I thought I'd put it out there.

I'm hoping it will get the Walmart discount in stores.
I looked earlier and my search only turned up older games from third party sellers, DVD's of the series, and some other random AA items. maybe it didn't show when i searched as it's listed as "Out of Stock"? I wonder if it's Out of Stock simply because it hasn't gone live yet for preorder?

Whatever the case, that's great news for those hoping for a deal. If I were still going after it, I'd wait for Walmart for that launch discount and be done... any sales beyond that will probably only be a few bucks at best and if you are a serious fan it's easier to just get a deal and be done than hope that it get's cheaper before selling out. If a few days after launch walmart didn't stock it in stores... then flip back and just get it from BB or Amazon.

For anyone that frequents Super Rare Games; their latest Inmost has sold out (way faster than usual). There’s still 8% of steelbook editions yet.

Well. I am kind of speechless. Haha
95daf351fd6d680d39eee2c088cc4f09.jpg
d26594463b9c642a89cf5a1f26e63d8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I missed the announcement (and/or wasn't paying attention), but Special Reserve Games will hold an open preorder Switch Reserve for The Talos Principle starting June 8 and running through June 29. It will cost $39.99. I have this game on two platforms already and am quite happy to go for a third (especially when it's a special edition). ;)

SRG will also be offering a Switch Reserve for Disc Room during the same period, for $39.99.

Got this email from Hard Copy Games:

Invitation to our

Secret Sale 2021

Tuesday The 25th-27th

To celebrate our first digital-physical release, we are offering members of mailing list the chance to pick up the following titles at 50% discount. No purchase of Electronic Super Joy 2 is necessary.

Use the code "Electronic Super Sale"

The Aquatic Adventures Of The Last Human
Lichtspeer
The Bridge
Elliot Quest

For myself, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am really good at collecting games for series I like, but garbage at playing them all. I've owned every (I think) NA released physical DS/3DS Ace Attorney game for ages and honestly I've only played through the first game completely and that was well over a decade ago. So, I'm questioning my own actual interest and am likely passing completely and re-evaluating if I should just sell off the games I own in that series as I'm likely never playing them as much as I want to make myself. But that's me. If you are diehard into the series and want to insure you get a copy... might as well preorder and be done. The best discount will probably be around $7 off if there even is one.
This. I chalk it up to just not having the time, and well, FOMO when it comes to securing the disc to play later, but there are times I wonder if I'd better off selling off everything.

The good news is that as physical discs trickle off into niche-dom, I'll end up buying less purely because there won't be products to get.

Still waiting on Space Invaders from SLG...anyone know any updates on what's going on? I feel like it's been almost a year
I'm still waiting on this one as well (and regretting paying so much for it, ugh).

I got a status update e-mail from SLG last Wednesday that mentioned the following about Space Invaders:

"Space Invaders Invincible Collection - Shipping has started for the limprint standard game, while the Collector's Editions will ship later this summer. Collector's Editions including the Board Game will ship after the Collector Editions of the game."

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification for my standard edition but here's hoping it ships soon.

Just got my acrylic case in, look out WATA, I'm coming for you![attachment=35614:received_233768078550023.jpeg]

bread's done
Back