Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still get a majority of items that Special Reserve sells. Just got Talos Principle in the mail on Friday. IMO they are the gold standard
Agreed...and their customer service has been top notch!

Disregarding that most of their stuff over the last year has been complete shovelware, $40 shovelware at that, they do package/market the games nicely.
You take that back! Broforce is not shovelware!

Received in the mail today: 2 games from SLG, 1 game from LRG, and a fully shrinkwrapped new game from GameStop. Feel like I need to go play the lottery later on.

I would get the SLG version of Deathsmiles since it will have the DLC on disc, but I still have 7 unfulfilled orders with them dating back over a year. I think I'm about done with them until they can get their crap together and start shipping out some games rather than keep offering up way more games than they can ship. At this point I am starting to question if I will ever get some of the games I've paid for, or if SLG is so poorly run they will go belly up before many of their games ever get made and shipped. LRG may have its faults, but at least I have great confidence that I will at least receive my shit at some point. SLG has gone from initially being my favorite limited print games company to being one that is being run like a 3-ring circus. I'll stick with Play Asia for Deathsmiles.
Another I'm with you post. SLG is never getting my money again. Their manufacturing updates are bullshit. Been waiting 13 months for my order. Ordered something for my wife for her birthday. That turned into now for Xmas, which is probably now going to be for her birthday again. There's supply chain issues and then there's poor operation and management.

Super Rare is the best only because they don't sell until they have it on hand. They are slow to get things out but they do. Special Reserve is second since they stick to their dates and have a curated offering. LRG is a distant third because they clearly didn't scale up their operation with their size and put out too much total garbage. VGNYsoft and East Asia Soft are ???. SLG, Red Art and Hard Copy are the dredges. Finally, Play Asia is Play Asia and a real boy company and shouldn't be lumped in with these largely mickey mouse shops.

I would say Special Reserve is probably the top dog right now as far as limited print companies go for all the reasons stated above, and not my personal experience, but I feel they have actual community engagement as well.

PA isn't the same as these companies because they've always been doing a little bit of everything, but they have plenty of faults. Personally, I probably have the most issues with orders in general with them.

It's hard to say which limited print company is "best" because they all do different things well. Customer service, title selection, communication, etc. There's no one company I can point to that tops all of those categories, but Special Reserve is probably the one I have the most faith in. Usually gets high-quality titles, not over-saturating the market with releases, sends out shipping updates, the few times I've had to interact with support it's been fine. Feels like an actual boutique shop. I've heard good things about Super Rare as well, but I can't speak from experience since I don't buy limprint Switch stuff.

There are also just a ton of companies at this point. Beyond the big players there are folks like 1Print, First Press, Hard Copy, and many more I'm forgetting. It feels like there's a bubble ready to pop there, but I've said that and been wrong several times before so who knows?

I need to log in to all these companies and see what I have left (if any) on unfulfilled orders. I honestly forget what I ordered and when. Another reason I have ordered way less than I used to years ago.

Special Reserve Games publishes some nice stuff, but they're the one limited print I have the most trouble with. I've gotten multiple damaged games and missing items from item. They also just plain forgot to send my order once. Their customer service did take care of all the issues though.

Super Rare is good because their games are in hand and ship quickly, but they have some faults too. George, the owner of Super Rare, told everyone that he fully played Sexy Brutale to completion and it had all patches. Turned out it didn't and you can't complete the game due to a bug.

And Strictly Limited moved all the Clockwork Aquario LEs to next year. Not even January. "Q1 2022". I fully expect to see my order in April. Maybe. I'm honestly ready to chargeback at this point (because lol they'll never give me a refund).

PA isn't the same as these companies because they've always been doing a little bit of everything, but they have plenty of faults. Personally, I probably have the most issues with orders in general with them.
I hear you on that. Nearly got screwed out of a few games because one preorder was after the first few, so they didn't bother to put the copies aside for my order and I had to wait for them to restock. If they didn't, oh well apparently.

And Strictly Limited moved all the Clockwork Aquario LEs to next year. Not even January. "Q1 2022". I fully expect to see my order in April. Maybe. I'm honestly ready to chargeback at this point (because lol they'll never give me a refund).
No need to do a chargeback. The EU has strong consumer protection laws, much better than the US. So, if you ask for a refund they have to give it to you.

Many of these companies take so long to actually produce stuff that you'll be well outside of any chargeback window your card provider offers. No clue what the specific EU protection laws there are or if they extend to people in the US buying items from there, though.

I placed an order for Record of Lodoss War Deelit on Red Art Games' website.

Has anyone ever ordered from them before? How's their packaging?

Also, Kemco RPG Omnibus for Switch apparently got an ESRB release, though I cannot recall when.  Just purchased it off of Amazon US.

Also, Kemco RPG Omnibus for Switch apparently got an ESRB release, though I cannot recall when. Just purchased it off of Amazon US.
That's not a true ESRB release. Although it has an ESRB rating on the cover the cartridge is from the Asian region. There are a handful of releases like this, which is very odd.

That's not a true ESRB release. Although it has an ESRB rating on the cover the cartridge is from the Asian region. There are a handful of releases like this, which is very odd.
Interesting, do you know what other games are "fake" ESRB releases? I may try to hunt them down for my collection.

Interesting, do you know what other games are "fake" ESRB releases? I may try to hunt them down for my collection.
Here are some of them. Be careful as there are some that got released as actual ESRB releases.

Ancestors Legacy
Blaster Master Zero Trilogy
Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger IX
Kemco RPG Omnibus
Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Volume 1
Obakeidoro

Here are some of them. Be careful as there are some that got released as actual ESRB releases.
The cart inside will be Japanese region too. I can say this for sure with Blaster Master Zero Trilogy.

A friend noticed something - a true ESRB release will also have a Prop 65 warning which these Asian releases lack.

These are odd because they are/were sold at actual retailers (Gamestop and Best Buy, respectively).
I believe those were the actual US releases. I believe what ecwfan was saying was that there are additional Asian copies of those games, also with an ESRB rating.

So I got tired of waiting a year plus for a lot of my SLG strictly limited games orders. turrican etc.

They refunded my orders, but they were less then I paid for ? I’m guessing since I’m in the US, so they converted my dollar to pounds when I bought the item, and now when they refunded my order, the pounds got converted back to the US dollar equivalent?

Is that what’s going on here? So I took a loss for not waiting a year plus on a few orders ? I guess i learned not to order from them.

Euros, not pounds, but that would be correct: the difference between how much you paid and how much you were refunded is due to how the two currencies behaved, relative to one another, between those two moments.

I'd say you're looking at it wrong on your last paragraph, though. They refunded your payment, as they should, but currency fluctuations are beyond their control or responsibility.

Would you have sent any excess money back if you had now been refunded more than what you had originally paid?

As far as SLG is concerned, you paid them in euros and they refunded you in euros. *They* didn't convert anything, *you* did. Or rather, whatever institution you used to pay them converted it for you. That same institution would have also converted your refund back to dollars for you. It's likely you were also charged a foreign transaction fee for the purchase, so that might be another reason for the descrepancy.

Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing fishy going on here. This is all just part of the import game.

How do you guys feel about play asia? They have the western physical switch version of Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in wonder labyrinth up for preorder and I've never bought from them before.

So I got tired of waiting a year plus for a lot of my SLG strictly limited games orders. turrican etc.

They refunded my orders, but they were less then I paid for ? I’m guessing since I’m in the US, so they converted my dollar to pounds when I bought the item, and now when they refunded my order, the pounds got converted back to the US dollar equivalent?

Is that what’s going on here? So I took a loss for not waiting a year plus on a few orders ? I guess i learned not to order from them.
Nice that SLG lets you refund unlike some other publishers.

I contacted SLG recently about the replacement cart for Bite the Bullet. They now state it will ship in February after their newsletter email said it would ship in December. We will see if they actually ship in February. I don't have much faith in them anymore.

Even more reason to never buy from SLG. At least with Super Rare, this situation is unlikely since they only sell games they have on hand.

My order items now slipped to Q1/Q2 2022 from Q1 2022. A sure thing to slip to "strictly" (hurr hurr) Q2. Hopefully I'll get the game I ordered in Nov 2020 for my wife's birthday in May 2021 for her birthday in 2022. This company needs to stop selling new things until they get their act together.

bread's done
Back