Infinite Space - RPG from Nude Maker & Platinum Games! - OUT NOW

[quote name='formerroadie']mine will be here a little late cuz amazon got over bought..... it shipped today though :)[/QUOTE]

Mine shipped yesterday, so with their recent track record of under 24hr for me, I'm hoping to get it today.

[quote name='kkrraagg']I ordered mine 2 or 3 days ago, and today the estimated shipping date is April 5th. Ridiculous..[/QUOTE]

That's what mine said since preordering in January, up till the day before it shipped.

The writing/story is terrible so far. When you first meet the main character he says his family is all dead, then just a little later he suddenly has a sister? Ugh.

[quote name='beerme']The writing/story is terrible so far. When you first meet the main character he says his family is all dead, then just a little later he suddenly has a sister? Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Sega.

I have put in about an hour into this so far and I am enjoying it, the combat seems a bit repetitive but the amount of ship customization you can do is dizzying to say the least.

Why is the expanded manual not available for download yet. Link is in the manual for those of you who missed it.

[quote name='laaj']Why is the expanded manual not available for download yet. Link is in the manual for those of you who missed it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Sega couldn't even be arsed to print the full manual with the game?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wow, Sega couldn't even be arsed to print the full manual with the game?[/QUOTE]

At least Sega printed something that LOOKS like a manual and acts like a manual to some degree. Activision gave me a four page manual with modern warfare 2 and the only thing it does is advertise call of duty games AND tells me how to turn on the console.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wow, Sega couldn't even be arsed to print the full manual with the game?[/QUOTE]

Thing is most people don't bother with manuals so printing exhaustive manual for every copy will be waste of paper. And it is telling how huge this game is when not even 20 page manual is not enough to cover everything.

[quote name='laaj']Thing is most people don't bother with manuals so printing exhaustive manual for every copy will be waste of paper. And it is telling how huge this game is when not even 20 page manual is not enough to cover everything.[/QUOTE]

My husband informed me that this isn't the first time it's happened with games that require big manuals. So that's ok. But to not even have the site up when the game has been out for several days? :rofl:

What does everyone think of the game so far? I've had my eye on the game for a bit, but I haven't bitten on buying it yet.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']What does everyone think of the game so far? I've had my eye on the game for a bit, but I haven't bitten on buying it yet.[/QUOTE]

It's alright. Battles are somewhat simple, and it also isn't the most user-friendly game I've played. There are things you might miss out on if you don't talk to people more than once, and some battle strategy seems like it's just left to the player to figure out instead of being more clear. The translation doesn't seem like it's the best at times as well.

I like it. The battle system is pretty simple. The ship modification is great. I find myself always needing more money to buy/upgrade ships.

Battle mechanics are pretty easy (only 4 options for attack + 2 specials and I'm at Ch. 4), it's pretty fun to build ships and to mess around with assigning your crew.

The only thing that gets pretty harsh is how tough the boss battles can be. Maybe I just suck, but I've replayed some boss fights 5 times or so. This is just discussing mechanics so I don't think it's spoiler-ish (if someone feels so, I'll put it in spoilers) but I can't figure out if there's any surefire way to get the enemy to Barrage when I'm Dodging. I usually wait until the last second (in range + enemy ship is red) but they always seem to just do Normal, and it kills my endurance for the long battles.

The user friendliness is also quite low, but it stems mainly from three things. The first is that the game seems to always assume you will know where to go, when that seems to never be the case. I've been completely confused at to what to do a few times, and just wandered planet to planet until I found it out. Also, I feel that even with the online manual, there should be a little more, as this comes off as the type of game that deserves some heavy explanation. Third, sometimes you're expected to know things that almost require memorization. There are a LOT of positions for your fleet, and there are about 7 stats or so, but you can only see what each one does by looking at the online manual. I didn't know this until I died about 4 or 5 times trying to go through this one planet. Assigning someone to a specific position then helped me win on my very next try.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Um.....[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing for the second part he meant boss battles. Regular battles are easy, the boss battles ramp up in difficulty, mostly because of multiple mandatory battles in a row.

Some of the user interface stuff is annoying. Who made the design decision to auto-target the furthest enemy?

[quote name='whiptcracker']I'm guessing for the second part he meant boss battles. Regular battles are easy, the boss battles ramp up in difficulty, mostly because of multiple mandatory battles in a row.

Some of the user interface stuff is annoying. Who made the design decision to auto-target the furthest enemy?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a moron. I edited to correct for it (it was late, give me a break :p) I also should've elaborated that the battle mechanics are easy (hence my explanation of attacks used) while the big ass endurance series of battles can be nigh impossible.

That's what's so crazy to me, is the ENORMOUS jump in difficulty. I can breeze through normal battles, but the boss battles destroy me. Thank you for reminding me of the auto-targeting as well. In the first chapter or two I almost died on at least half a dozen fights because I didn't notice that they were giving me the worst possible target by default.

[Quote="pete5883']So basically, the game is not very portable unless you print out the online manual?[/Quote]

I would say that ultimately it is a portable game. You just have to associate a bunch of stats with their traditional counterparts (Combat is more like Strength, etc) much like the elemental spells in a Shin Megami Tensei game. Like I said earlier (though not in the clearest or most elegant manner), most of the game is actually easy to play, with some parts that are tough to win. In the first 4 chapters, I've run across one part where a simple message at the Game Over screen ('In ____ it might help Yuri to assign someone to a _____ position') would've made me win on the next try. Otherwise, it's not that bad (for the first 4 chapters at least).

[quote name='Nirron']Yeah, I'm a moron. I edited to correct for it (it was late, give me a break :p) I also should've elaborated that the battle mechanics are easy (hence my explanation of attacks used) while the big ass endurance series of battles can be nigh impossible.

That's what's so crazy to me, is the ENORMOUS jump in difficulty. I can breeze through normal battles, but the boss battles destroy me. Thank you for reminding me of the auto-targeting as well. In the first chapter or two I almost died on at least half a dozen fights because I didn't notice that they were giving me the worst possible target by default.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I died on the first boss a ton because I didn't realize I was targetting the furthest ship. Hell I didn't even see the other ships.

Considering that the usual 3-ship clusters were something like 1 ENORMOUS ship in the back with 2 toothpicks in the front, can we really be blamed? :p

On chapter 5 now, but I think I'm taking longer than most people, cause I think I'm also at 13 hours =P

Three things I noticed that makes the game easier. Don't read if you think it's "exploiting", even though I think it's how the game's designed:
1. For some boss fights, I put my ship right next to the enemy ships and dodge; most of their hits miss and their main weapons are always out of range to fire. Of course, you need to pick weapons with the smallest minimum range for this to be most effective. I beat 2 boss fights like this that I had trouble with using outdated ships.

2. Between multiple battle events (3 battles in a row), you can actually cancel your route after each battle and go to a planet to heal up your ships. Made the spiderweb battle a breeze =P

3. The R button speeds up the text.... wish I realized this in the first 10 hours lol.

Although a lot of this won't matter much after you have overpowered carriers and good pilots. Also, my crew is actually good enough now to heal up between battles, so I don't really think I have to use 2 any more.

[quote name='elessar123']On chapter 5 now, but I think I'm taking longer than most people, cause I think I'm also at 13 hours =P
[/QUOTE]
I think that's about where I was, very slow. Now on Act 2, Chapter 2 at 27 hours or so.

[quote name='elessar123']On chapter 5 now, but I think I'm taking longer than most people, cause I think I'm also at 13 hours =P[/QUOTE]

just started chapter 4 and I've put in 14 hours. My three ship fleet is really decked out though (3 Borodinos fully kitted). I wish there was a way to check out what job you have as I'm stuck going through each system trying to figure out which planet I'm supposed to drop something off at.

[quote name='fart_bubble']just started chapter 4 and I've put in 14 hours. My three ship fleet is really decked out though (3 Borodinos fully kitted). I wish there was a way to check out what job you have as I'm stuck going through each system trying to figure out which planet I'm supposed to drop something off at.[/QUOTE]

Two advices from having beaten it:

Don't bother too much with the side jobs, the rewards are pretty crappy. I did all the ones I found, and it would have been faster farming that money.

Don't bother too much with act 1 ship upgrades. Enough to get by is... well... plenty. Come act 2, and the ships from act 1 will be very handicapped because of their low hp and you'll need to replace them asap.

Hey folks, I just got this from Goozex. Anyone know how to reset the cartridge and delete the saves (purging the database also)? I've tried holding the X, Y, A, B, L, R at start-up and that didn't work. Thanks.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Hey folks, I just got this from Goozex. Anyone know how to reset the cartridge and delete the saves (purging the database also)? I've tried holding the X, Y, A, B, L, R at start-up and that didn't work. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Just start a new game and save over the others? I think you only start New Game+ if you load the saved game of the winning game.

[quote name='elessar123']Two advices from having beaten it:

Don't bother too much with the side jobs, the rewards are pretty crappy. I did all the ones I found, and it would have been faster farming that money.

Don't bother too much with act 1 ship upgrades. Enough to get by is... well... plenty. Come act 2, and the ships from act 1 will be very handicapped because of their low hp and you'll need to replace them asap.[/QUOTE]

Cool, good tips. My buddy picked this up for me, so I will be starting it soon myself.

Odd question: does this game use the L button much, or is it not important? The L button on my DSi has never really worked right, so I might have to play it on my Lite.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Well, shite. I'd always intended to pick this up at some point, and now it's rare/expensive apparently.[/QUOTE]

Check your local Gamestops; several stores around me have copies and I think they're going for like $25.

bread's done
Back