Info on Cable Modem

Throwerguy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
thinking of switching Internet providers at home, have a DSL line now and the one I'm looking into is cable. The speed is only 15mbs so I just need one that'll work

Your ISP may provide you one for free, or you may be able to rent one from them.  I have Charter as my ISP and they provided one to me for free when I picked up there service a couple of years ago and that was the only choice.  Now, I can get one if I want to switch it out for one of my own.

For future-proofing, it would be best to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, preferrably one that does 8 down channels x 4 channels.

Options to look at would be the Arris SB6141, which you usually can find for about $70 on sale.    There are also models from Zyxel, Netgear, D-Link and other vendors.

There is an option to "rent" one for $6 a month, I'm fond of my router so wanna keep using it. I've been looking at the arris, does it truly make a great difference? I'm not a pro when it comes to Internet

Your isp will probably raise the price of a rental. I believe Motorola Arris has wider isp use compared to Netgear, I had intended on using a Netgear CM400 versus a comparable Arris 6141 because it was cheaper and I read the led indicators on the Netgear were less blinding, but when I brought Netgear home I wasn't able to connect so I returned it and got the 6141. Regular everyday price will probably be cheapest at Costco around $75 I think. If you can't get into Costco 6121 model might be a cheaper option. 

Buy your own. At $6 a month, your purchase will pay itself off in about 18 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back