Info on Game Rental Companies (Online and B&M)

hwong3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
VIDEO GAME RENTAL COMPANIES INFORMATION

Hi, I'm reposting some information, but updating it since I've completed a membership with Turbogamer. I thought it might be useful if anyone is interested in renting games from various companies. I also include a rating from 1 to 10, 10 being the best. Ratings which only I have made are in Red and are to the East Coast. Rating which are averaged from multiple users including myself are in Yellow. Ratings by other forum members are in Orange. Ratings by other forum members which are averaged from multiple opnions are in Blue.:

Deepshark -
They had terrible customer service. I tried to cancel my free trial and they wouldn't let me, even after I got the games back to them (which they claimed had to be back within the 10 day trial - which would be impossible for someone who lived on the West Coast since Deepshark is in CT and it would take 4-5 days just to get the first game, notwithstanding weekends or even playing the game!). I had to fight them for it and had to quote their own FAQ back at them. I later found out that they STILL charged my credit card. I'm presently disputing the charge with Visa. Their game selection is also spotty. Many were listed as available, and yet they did not ship. Choices four and six ended up getting shipped, and all the while choices 1 - 3 were all listed as AVAILABLE! Bizarre. Plus it's difficult to browse games. However, if you try and cancel, they will offer you a reduce rate of $15.95 for two games out at a time. ($19.95 regular). They have 10 day free trial offer. Shipping took 2 days to NYC. They are based in Connecticut. All in all, regardless of the price, I'd skip this one.
Rating = 0.5 out of 10

Gamefly -
No problems, but spotty shipping. Manhunt and Prince of Persia shipped to me on the same day, yet Prnce of Persia took four days and Manhunt took six days (!!). Customer service was pretty nice, but was pretty upset when I told them I was thinking about going with Blockbuster. They allow 7 days after cancellation to return games and are very flexible. Terrible shipping times to the East coast though. They have a 10 free trial offer. Gamefly costs $21.95 a month for two games out a time. Shipping should take 4 days to NYC, but mine were longer. They are based in L.A., CA.
Rating = 7.9 out of 10

Turbogamer -
Based in Detroit. Received my first and second choices in three days. Terrific service. Game selection is thinner than Gamefly, but same price ($19.99 for two games at a time). Sent games back and will report back when I see what the turn around time is like. Decent service. They do not fill your next game shipment until the day after they receive your previous rentals. They have a 10 day free trial offer. Shipping takes 3 days to NYC. They're based in Detroit, MI. Cutomer service was fantastic.
Rating = 8 out of 10

DVDBarn -
Decent customer service, but really small video game selection. However, they have a pretty large size DVD collection to pick from. $14.95 for a month for two out at a time. No free trial. But it has a cool system where you can "claim" that a game is shipped back once you drop it in the mail. That way you get your next game or DVD faster, since they'll ship the next selection immediately once you claim the last rental was shipped back! You can only "claim" one at a time even if you send both rentals back at the same time. Based in Arizona. 3-4 days shipping to NYC, but no turn around time for one rental at a time speeds things up considerably.
Rating = 6 out of 10

RentZero -
Pretty large collection of games and very easy to browse. Opens a seprate pop-up when you add a game to yur Q to confirm the add. Had an issue with their credit card confirmation service. Emailed customer service, they got back to me in 4 hours and fixed the problem. Added games to my Q, no further action yet taken by the company. Based in California, has a two week free trial, but this inlcudes only one free rental. They sent my seventh choice the next day and it took 6 days (including Sunday) for me to receive it. The nice things is that they include the original instructions, which is nice. Dropped it back in the mail the next day. More to come.
Rating = 6 out of 10

Game Eagle -
It's based in Washington and has a 10 day free trial. It charges $17.97 a month for 2 rentals at a time. So far, the browsing interface is pretty clunky. When you're browsing PS2 games, and you select one for rental, you are redirected back to an ALL SYSTEMS list, NOT where you left off in the PS2 section (or whatever game system). Thus it forces you to go back and scroll through the pages to where you left off. Terrible!! SO it took a long time to work up my Q. Selection of games is rather limited. However, after adding games to my Q, Game Eagle notified me one hour later that my first two selections had shipped. I recieved these first two selections in two days, really fast considering they're in Tracy, CA and I'm in NYC!! Dropped it back in the mail the next day. Game Eagle received and sent out two new games to me within 4 postal days (not including Sunday). They again sent my first and second choice. I just cancelled my free trial, no problems so far.
Rating = 9 out of 10

GPlay (previously GoVoJo) -
I will be joining and reviewing this service soon, but in the meantime, I've added vherub's comments on GPlay below:
"I signed up for a trial to gplay.com on a tuesday, my games were listed as in stock, but only one was sent out on tuesday, the second game ended up having a short wait, so i changed the title and the second game was mailed out wed. The two games arrived the following saturday and tuesday respectively (nyc) which I found dreadful. I emailed back on the thursday cancelling, explaining the long lagtimes in delivery. And received a personalized response on saturday offering to extend the free trial another 5 days, which I turned down." More to come.
Rating = 8 out of 10

Trigger Fingers -
I might be joining and reviewing this service soon, but in the meantime, I've added THPS's comments on Trigger Fingers below:
"I have been a member at www.TriggerFingers.com for about 6 months now. It is only $14.95 a month for 2 game rentals at at time. At the most, it takes 3 days to receive a game despite the fact that I am across the country. Their customer service is great as well. There are no shipping fees at all. I highly recommend this to anyone. There is a 3 week free trial at the site and if you use the promo code "INFORMER", you get a month free. I am not sure if the code still works though." More to come.
Rating = 9 out of 10

DVDAvenue -
I might be joining and reviewing this service soon, but in the meantime, I've added imacheapasstoo's comments on DVDAvenue below:
"They're located somewhere in or around Clinton, Maryland, I believe. I used them for DVD rentals (they also rent out video games) about 2 years ago when I didn't have cable TV, and their service was superb. I'm in northern Virginia and I almost always had the DVDs within 2 business days after I rented them."
"I joined and put DVDs in my queue on Sunday night 3/7 and got the games in the mail today 3/9. . . . They *DO* have Xbox games. The Xbox games just aren't linked on the main page, but if you search for titles and specify Xbox as one of the options in the dropdown lists, you'll see if they have it. . . . I just wish they had more recent titles. Still, it's not a bad deal for those of us on the east coast. What I wasn't too happy about was that they sent only one return mailer for both games." More to come.
Rating = 9 out of 10

Blockbuster -
Games Freedom Pass cost $19.99 plus tax for one game out at a time. The good part, you can trade it in and get what you want right away, no wait time for shipping. Downside, their selection sucks. There's hardly anything ever available except for the guaranteed in stock games (two games a week, usually new releases). But if you like new games, it's pretty decent. They also have a two game pass for $34.99 a month. They do not have any free trials. As a side note, the guaranteed new release consists of two games, which may not change on a weekly basis. For instance, NFL Street was Guranteed in Stock for three weeks, Mafia for two weeks so far. So sometimes it hardly changes at all.
Rating = 8.1 out of 10

Intothegame.com -
I might be joining and reviewing this service soon, but in the meantime, I've added theNoid99's comments on Intothegame.com below:

"A big selection of games, plus they indicate that if there is a game that they do not have, they are willing to find it you. I dont know of many comapanies that would do that for one customer. I requested a couple of games so far and I have seen them added to the site with in days.

Shipping is fantastic! Of course I live fairly close, but I have a cousin in North Carolina that I got to sign up, and his "East Coast" shipping is also faster than he expected.

There are a number of plans to choose from. 1 game at a time for 12.95 a month, 2 at a time for 19.95 a month, 3 for 24.95, 4 at 29.95 a month, and a pre-pay 6 month plan that gives you 2 games out at a time for 99.95.

Customer Service is top-notch also had a quick question about buying a game from them, my email was returned quickly and I also got a phone call to follow-up.

They also have a forum for us gamers to talk, I know it was down for a short time, but I saw that is is up again. I like the fact that this is a company that wants to hear what their customers have to say.
Recently I have noticed that they have a few games for sale also, both new and used, and the prices are very good. For example I saw Splinter Cell Chaos Theory NEW for 44.00 plus 1.99 shipping.
Well thats I can think of right now if you have any other questions, please let me know."

More to come.

Rating = 9.5 out of 10

I'm going to try VeeGeeZ and GPlay (previously GoVoJo) next. I'll update this info again at that point.

Please keep in mind that additional opinions on these services are always helpful, so please post your own experiences! More information will make this a more useful resource for others who want to try renting games. Thanks for all the comments so far!

If you lose a game via the mail, each company has it's own policy. However, they'll usually let the first one or two slide (just like Netflix). But after that, you'll likely get suspended until you pay for it.

Have fun! :D BTW, whatever plan you have, renting is much cheaper than buying, even if you spend all month beating two games! :p

Thanks for the informative post. I was thinking about trying Deepshark but not anymore. Theres another thread about game rental companies that lists some more sites with free trials, you might want to check those out.

Thanks, I'm willing to try every rental company out there (eventually). Working all the time, I don't have a lot of time to go rent or buy games, so I thought it would be a good idea to try these out. Let me know if there's one you want me to try and I'll see what I can do.

Could you point me to the thread you're referring to? Thanks!

No problem, more than happy to help.

As a side note, each company requires a credit card to start, except for Blockbuster's Game Freedom Pass, which apparently you can pay for your first month (only) via Gift Card as long as you have or are on someone else BlockBuster account.

Also, I just found out today that DeepShark decided to charge my Credit Card anyway, regardless of my numeroud phone calls and online cancellations. I'm presently disputing the charge with my Credit Card company. So STAY AWAY FROM DEEPSHARK!

Thanks.

Sorry, I missed that. I just recently decided to sign up for all of them so I thought I would pass my experiences along so that others can benefit from my mistakes (like joining DeepShark) and my successes (Blockbuster ain't half bad). But I'm glad you added the link, more information is always good!!!

Just signed up for RentZero. They apparently only allow you one game during the 14 day free trial. The delivery times also see, slow, apparently 5 days to NYC. They are based in Texas. I will report back once I've actually received the game and had the opportunity to speak with their customer service.

I signed up for a trial to gplay.com on a tuesday, my games were listed as in stock, but only one was sent out on tuesday, the second game ended up having a short wait, so i changed the title and the second game was mailed out wed. The two games arrived the following saturday and tuesday respectively (nyc) which I found dreadful. I emailed back on the thursday cancelling, explaining the long lagtimes in delivery. And received a personalized response on saturday offering to extend the free trial another 5 days, which I turned down.

I am glad a reputable service has popped up on the east coast.

I just signed up for Game Eagle. It's based in Washington and has a 10 day free trial. It charges $17.97 a month for 2 rentals at a time. So far, the browsing interface is pretty clunky. When you're brwosing PS2 games, and you select one for rental, you are redirected back to an ALL SYSTEMS list, NOT where you left off in the PS2 section (or whatever game system). Thus it forces you to go back and scroll through the pages to where you left off. Terrible!! SO it took a long time to work up my Q. I guess we'll see if delivery and customer service is any better. I'll edit my original post to include all this information.

Thanks for the info on GPlay vherub!

I haven't been looking into DVD rentals. I tried Hit Flix which is terrible. VERY VERY slow. But very nice customer service. They have a 2 week free trial as well. I cancelled mine since delivery was so slow.

No problem hwong. Thanks for mentioning Game Eagle, I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

To vherub - what reputable services opened on the East Coast? As far as I know, there hasn't been any reputable East Coast game rental companies yet, which one are you talking about?

sanwiches99, maybe you might want to wait a little on Game Eagle. I'll let you and everyone else know if it's any good, then you can give it a try if you still want to.

Otherwise, if you don't want to wait for that, I'd also appreciate any second opinions!

vherub, that's a good question, which reputable East COast company are you talking about. Is GPlay an east coast company? Are they reputable because cancellations were no problem?

hwong you could use this as a reference:

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6973&highlight=rental

im actually alsoo keeping track of turnaround-times, rental selections, and overall quality of service. well since you opened up a thread way before i did, ill just try to help you on some considering turn-around times for the west coast would definitely be different from the east coast. ill post some of my reviews here if i got spare time and you could incorporate it with yours.

Thanks, earlje! That would be terrific!

I'll incorporate delivery times to the west coast and of course all of your comments re: different sites. The more opinions we have, the more valid and useful this resource will be for others.

Anyone from the midwest, Canada or southeast want to through their 2 cents in? Some feedback as to delivery times and so forth from these locations would also be very useful. Also, other west and east coasters with info should feel free to post. As I said, I want this to be as thorough and useful as possible!

Just wanted to report in regarding RentZero and Game Eagle:

RentZero - Pretty large collection of games and very easy to browse. Opens a seprate pop-up when you add a game to yur Q to confirm the add. Had an issue with their credit card confirmation service. Emailed customer service, they got back to me in 4 hours and fixed the problem. Added games to my Q, no further action yet taken by the company.

Game Eagle - Selection of games is rather limited and as noted above, difficult to browse. However, after adding games to my Q, Game Eagle notified me one hour later that my first two selections had shipped. We'll see how it goes from there.

Also, as I said above, I'll edit my original post to include all this info as well.

Short update-

RentZero sent my first game one day after I signed up. Of the 10 games I put in my Q, 8 of them were available when I placed them in my Q, however, only 2 of the are currently listed as available. My 7th choice was sent out. Pretty weak so far. They indicate it will take 3 to 5 days for me to receive it.

Re: DVD rental on the east coast--Netflix is based out of California, I think, but they have distro centers across the country. I live in NC, and there's one about 80 miles from me. There also is/used to be one in Gaithersburg MD, and I think one in Atlanta, so don't be afraid to try them if you're on the west coast.
WalMart is also getting into that business, and they ship from Atlanta.
Anyway, I appreciate all y'all's work on this, I'm interested in joining one, but of course I want the most for my money.

Quick Update:

Game Eagle - Received my first and second choice in NYC on Wednesday. It took a speedy two days to receive these games from Tracy, CA! Amazing! Worked great, I'm dropping them back in the mail today (Thursday) to see how quick their turnaround time is. We may have found a winner...

dtcarson -
Can you tell me more about the Walmart service? Maybe I'll try that too. Do they do games or just DVDs?

BTW, does anyone want me to review DVD rental companies too? I've only tried two so far, but could add those and try others.

Haven't used the WalMart service; they're a little cheaper than Netflix, but in this case, I like to support the trailblazer. WM doesn't rent games, just dvd's [they are directly competing with Netflix.]
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=5430&path=0:5430
Free 30 day trial.
2 Movies out for $15.54
3 Movies out for $18.76
4 Movies out for $21.94
Return disks to Wal-Mart DVD Rentals
3101 N. Highway 27
Carrollton, GA 30117
if you lose the mailer.

GameEagle: Wow, that's quick shipping. Obviously some of that is dependent on the Post Office, but it seems like they process really quickly, which is a bonus.

TRIGGER FINGERS GAMES

I have been a member at www.TriggerFingers.com for about 6 months now. It is only $14.95 a month for 2 game rentals at at time. At the most, it takes 3 days to receive a game despite the fact that I am across the country. Their customerservice is great as well. There are no shipping fees at all. I highly recommend this to anyone. There is a 3 week free trial at the site and if you use the promo code "INFORMER", you get a month free. I am not sure if the code still works though. If any of you sign up, let me know beforehand so you can put me down as a reference.

Thanks for the info dtcarson, I'll probably check it out too. I was pretty impressed with Game Eacgle as well, but they haven't yet received my games back, which I dropped in the mail Thursday morning, which indicates to me that they're probably closed on Saturdays.

Maybe I'll give Trigger Finger games a try as well, THPS. Either way, I'll edit my original post to include your info. DO you know where they are located? Thanks!

Good Work Hwong3

I mentioned my problems with deepshark weeks ago check the threads.

Bastards charged my card twice but I got both of em refunded thru my credit union and changed my card so it happens never again.

Also filed a complaint thru CT BBB which is also a great idea so these scum go out of business.

I might try someone new for online rentals, blockbuster staff is tired of me & I of them after a few months of hardcore rent swapping

Best of Luck & Peace
Games2003 8)

If you're on the east coast you may want to try dvdavenue.com. They're located somewhere in or around Clinton, Maryland, I believe. I used them for DVD rentals (they also rent out video games) about 2 years ago when I didn't have cable TV, and their service was superb. I'm in northern Virginia and I almost always had the DVDs within 2 business days after I rented them. The first downside is that they only rent out PS and PS2 games. No Xbox or Gamecube. The second downside is that they don't have recently released games from what I can tell.

They have the following plans available:

2 DVD's out at the time for $14.95/month
3 DVD's out at the time for $19.95/month
4 DVD's out at the time for $24.95/month
6 DVD's out at the time for $34.95/month
8 DVD's out at the time for $44.95/month

You can rent DVDs or video games or both. Doesn't matter which you choose.

I signed up for a membership just now as there were some games I wanted to try out. If I remember I'll post a follow-up to let folks know how the service is.

Wow, that was fast. I joined and put DVDs in my queue on Sunday night 3/7 and got the games in the mail today 3/9. And I unintentionally lied. They *DO* have Xbox games. The Xbox games just aren't linked on the main page, but if you search for titles and specify Xbox as one of the options in the dropdown lists, you'll see if they have it. One of the ones they sent me was an Xbox title I had requested (Prisoner of War). I just wish they had more recent titles. Still, it's not a bad deal for those of us on the east coast. What I wasn't too happy about was that they sent only one return mailer for both games. So I have to either pay shipping to send one back now or wait til I'm done with both.

[quote name='imacheapasstoo']If you're on the east coast you may want to try dvdavenue.com. They're located somewhere in or around Clinton, Maryland, I believe. I used them for DVD rentals (they also rent out video games) about 2 years ago when I didn't have cable TV, and their service was superb. I'm in northern Virginia and I almost always had the DVDs within 2 business days after I rented them. The first downside is that they only rent out PS and PS2 games. No Xbox or Gamecube. The second downside is that they don't have recently released games from what I can tell.

They have the following plans available:

2 DVD's out at the time for $14.95/month
3 DVD's out at the time for $19.95/month
4 DVD's out at the time for $24.95/month
6 DVD's out at the time for $34.95/month
8 DVD's out at the time for $44.95/month

You can rent DVDs or video games or both. Doesn't matter which you choose.

I signed up for a membership just now as there were some games I wanted to try out. If I remember I'll post a follow-up to let folks know how the service is.[/quote]

Hi everyone,

Thank's games2003, I saw your post too. Deepshark are scam artists. I had to get refunded by my credit card company and just changed my credit card as well. (Sheesh).

imacheapasstoo, let me know what your impressions are of DVDavenue, I'll add them to the original post. Thanks for the input!

Minor update, Game Eagle received and sent out two new games to me within 4 postal days (not including Sunday). Not bad since they're not on the East Coast. Each tiem they sent my first and second choice. So far, the only complaint with Game Eagle is the crappy interface for browsing available games.

I finally received my game from RentZero on Monday (that's 5 postal days from shipment). Pretty darn slow, and it's coming from Texas. The game wasn't in my top five choices, but the up side is that they included the original instructions. Was very useful since I rented Rugby 2004 and didn't know how to play Rugby. ;)

More to come.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to add a rating system from 1 to 10, just to make it easier to assess on the fly.

SO if anyone has any experience with any of these companies, please post a rating for that company from 1 to 10 and post your location (generally like "East coast" or "West coast" if you're afraid of stalkers ;) ). I'll compile them and post them on the initial edit. (So I definitely need posts from at least imacheapasstoo and vherub).

Thanks everyone!

I give TriggerFingers a 10. I am just in shock at how much I have liked their service. Even though they are located on the west coast and I am from the east, I get the games in 2-3 days. Their customer service is great and you get personalized emails instead of automated emails.

I'd give dvdavenue.com a 9. I love the fact that I can get DVDs or video games, and the super fast shipping is wonderful. I've never ever had a problem getting a shipment from them, and they always promptly record when they receive it from me and they ship the new ones out the same day. It's one of the few rental services on the east coast (they're located in Maryland). The only reason I currently wouldn't give them a 10 is because they don't have the more recent games available as other services, such as triggerfingers.com, do, and they send multiple games in one envelope so there's only one return envelope. That's a drag if you want to keep one a while longer but return another. Their pricing plans are similar or maybe identical to triggerfingers in that you can have 2 games out at a time for $14.95, or 3 for $19.95.

I would give triggerfingers a 10, though. I ordered my games on Sunday night and got them on Wednesday. That's pretty good timing considering they're in Colorado and I'm in Virginia (the USPS is pretty darn efficient IMO). They have an excellent selection, and you get to choose 3 games at a time if you pay something like $19.95 per month, while most other services would only let you choose 2 at that price range. And they shipped each game in its own envelope, so I can return them individually. Woohoo!!

Now if only triggerfingers would open up a shipping center in northern Virginia, I'd be a very happy camper.

Thanks for your inputs!!

Please remember that a rating of 10 is perfection. I gave one a couple 10s too, but I just wanted to make sure that's what we were defining as 10.

I've updated the initial post.

Seem triggerfingers is getting alot of mention so I signed on for there free trial and heres my review so far:

I live in CO ordered on 3/8 got em on 3/9. Fastest return possible for me since its only online rental in my state which I digg. You get 3 rentals instead of 2 at a time but even the new gba metroid isn' available along with a bigg list of games I'm stoked to play.
Good customer service & fast turnaround time with emails plus great potential if they step up game inventory.

Only complaint is selection. I rent the more rare games online that I can't rent locally and about 8 games on my queue have long wait status. I'll report soon on how long it takes to get games processed back but I have a feeling it'll be longer then it took to get em sent.

Overall Triggerfingers gets a 8.00 as a score from me.

Other rental ratings:
Red Octane 6.75
GameFly 8.75
creepshark 0.00
Blockbuster 8.25

I'll try others & report soon, Power to the Consumer!
Propz to hwong3, sandwiches99, and everyone else reportin on the rental frontlines.

Games2003 8)

so far I have tried out gamefly.com, gplay.com and am in the middle of a trial membership with veegeez.com (which I will post on once the trial ends)

My problems with both gamefly and gplay are the long shipping times from their west coast locations to me (nyc). A credit card is required to activate the trial, but is not charged and there is no hassle or charge when ending the trial. Gamefly is cancelled directly from their website by clicking on an option from your account screen. When I cancelled they did not counter with a better offer to get me to stay (unlike netflix for example, which lowers its fee for a few months to entice you). With Gplay, you have to email which I was leery about because you get an automated response back saying a reply will be forthcoming within 48 hours, and I did not want to get charged for membership. They did respond within two days and honored my cancellation without any hassle. The mailers that the games arrive in have no problem fitting in a standard PO size box. Neither shipped with instructions. I would rate both as 8 on customer service and game selection, but the main problem is the long shipping times (4-7+ days) YMMV. However, since their 10-day trial memberships are easy, hassle-free and in the worst case you still are renting 2 games for free, I recommend at leat checking them out.

I've managed to integrate everyone's scores so far. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or wants more information. I'm trying to determine what service to try next. Is there any service that no one has tried yet and is interested in hearing about? Send up a post and I'll give a whirl! 8)

Thanks very much to everyone who has posted! I feel the forum is now starting to become really useful! :D SO propz to all of ya'!!!

If anyone else signs up for TriggerFingers, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you put me down as a reference. If you do, I get a free game :). Just PM me beforehand and I'll give you all the info you need.
Thanks,
THPS

BTW, Blockbuster is running a special in New York City right now for a Game Freedom Pass for $14.95 for new members (one month subscription). I asked how long this would last and they said no cancellation date has yet been set for the deal. I believe it may also apply for their movie rental club (normally $24.95 a month, now $19.95). I believe you can sign up for your first month without a credit card, but you need to have a blockbuster card or be on someone's account. I got this info on March 12 and checked again on March 14. They were still running the promotion as of last night.

Remember to ask and say you heard from stores on the Upper East side. It should be chain wide, but YMMV.

Just wanted to add to that Blockbuster mention.

When they are running these deals for a while go to different locations nearby once your paid month is over. That way you can get 15.00 everytime and BB's database only covers each store itself usually, a clever way to save some $$$. This is cool if theres plenty of BB's nearby some spots may not have it that nice. I've got 3 months worth for 15 in the past & theres at least 15 BB's within 20 min drive by me.

I've liked Triggerfingers so far & may even join.
For THPS mention details on using a reference for free game and how I could benefit better for using you as reference :lol:

Games2003 8)

Update for Game Eagle -

Got one of my next selections one week later. So maybe getting the first two in two days was a fluke. If you average it out, that's four days delivery time. The other selection which was sent last Monday still has not arrived. :whistle2:(

As for BlockBuster, apparently you can cancel your membership and start again with the $15 membership. The person at the front desk told me that this was an option. The only reason they couldn't give it to me when I'm already a member is because being a member puts you on an automatic renewel system, so you can't take advantage of any deals.

Just an FYI, YMMV at other locations.

I double checked with Blockbuster and you definitely can cancel an existing membership and sign up again for $14.99. That's a pretty good deal.

Your last rental can be out for one week past the last day of your membership, so it's kind of like having 5 weeks (but your last week won't allow you rent other games, so rent one on the last day of your membership when you cancel). Not bad for $14.95.

Also, I still haven't received the second disk from Game Eagle from almost two weeks ago. I guess those two days were a fluke at the beginning.

Lastly, Deepshark still refuses to cancel my membership and insists on sending games. Which is OK now since my credit card company has credited me and I've changed credit cards.

Any suggestions for another service to try?

Believe it or not, DeepShark is STILL sending me games even though I've now got refunded by my credit card company AND changed my credit card. And even worse yet, they send the SAME games over and over. In fact, they'll receive a game back from me with a Note on it telling them never to send anything to me ever again and then they SEND IT RIGHT BACK to me. Sheesh...

This thread really slowed down, so whos renting where now?

I'd say keep those games to hwong3 from creepshark,
If you request them not sent & have changed your card then its not your fault if they get 'lost' in the mail wink wink.

I got a copy of a warning from BBB sent to Creepshark warning them.
PM me I'll email a scan of it.

Best of Luck,
Gamez2003 8)

Gamez2003,

Amen to you, brother! Creepshark just threatened to get a debt collection agency after me since they couldn't charge my credit card for the next month. ;) They sent me an email that said they would be suspending my account because of this. I sent them back an email thanking them for finalling closing my account. :)

I'm still renting from Blockbuster since I paid the $14.99 sale price to resign up for another month.

I'm still happy to try other places. Any recommendations will be considered, post away! I was thinking maybe Gplay?

I signed up for a trial membership at veegeez.com
the deal is two games out for the 3 week trial, but you only get 2 games, so if you send 1 after 1 week or 3 weeks, they will not send anything back
I found their selection good, and I was able to get FF:CC a week after it came out (I have been meaning to post this for a while now)
the selection menu is easy, the game took 4 days to arrive from the day i signed up (nyc)
There was no problem cancelling the membership, no charges, fees or hassle, and they send a confirmation email to you that your account has been cancelled and once the games arrive. Because you only get two games out, I could not gauge how quickly the turnaround time was. I did recieve an email saying my game had been returned about 11 days after I mailed it. Whether this was because I had cancelled or their delay is really that long is unclear. I would not recommend them for the long turn around times, but 3 weeks for 2 free games to beat is a great deal and their are no strings attached so I advise trying it yourself. (credit card required but not charged at any point)

I give them an 9 for selection/ease of site/customer service, but long shipping times (especially when recieving a game) drops them down to a 7. Shows promise and if they ever opened up a distribution center on the east coast, they would be highly recommended.

So i know that this is only my second post here, but this thread piqued my interest. I too joined Triggerfingers and i can't say that i am happy with the shipping times. I signed up last sunday 03/28 and they said they sent the games out on 03/29 but i got the first three games on 04/03. I thought it would be quicker as i live in Ohio, but i will have to see about the turn around times. just to see, i also joined the Gamesforrent and turbogamer last night 04/05 and they both sent me an email saying their games had shipped, out of these three services i like the selection that they all have but it seems that turbogamer and triggerfingers dont have the newer releases. I was looking for Splinter Cell PT and Breakdown for the x-box and trigger fingers and turbogamer both said they had a wait. gamesforrent had them in stock and available. so who knows. i really think that the information that you guys are compiling rules but it may be on a individual basis of how great each service is.

vherub -
If you could provide a rating from 1-10 for veegeez, that would be terrific. Also, a one liner about what you thought about the service (e.g. how you liked/disliked it and whether you would recommend it) would be great. I'll add the line to the original post with credit and compile your rating. Thanks again!

thealternakid -
You're absolutely right, often times the service does vary from one person to the next and by location. So the more people who post their impressions, the better! Thanks for your post, and if you wouldn't mind, after you have finished your memberships or feel you have a good grasp of what they offer, please give each service a rating from 1-10 and give a one sentance quote. I'll compile the ratings and add your quote to the original post.

As a side note, Deepshark contacted me again and apologized for their crummy service saying that they would never go to a debt collector over my account since I don't have outstanding charges and my account was cancelled. So you have to change your credit card in order to get good customer service from Deepshark? Sheesh... :wink:

so just as an added thought, I was watching TechTV last night and saw an ad for GamezNFlix and it said one week free trial, i went to the site and the games section is linked to veegees.com so if you guys are thinking of joing veegees.com and you want movies you might as well try GameznFlix
Just a thought
and i will post the ratings once i get some idea of turnaround times

hwong3:

If you do not have any luck with your CC you may wish to see redress through:

http://www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm

Ask Personal Journal

156 words
25 March 2004
The Wall Street Journal
D1
English
(Copyright (c) 2004, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

Q: Is there anything I can do if my credit-card issuer has denied a disputed-charge claim?

-- Junko Varga, Arlington, Va.

A: You can try appealing the decision to a government agency called the Customer Assistance Group, which helps consumers resolve disputes with national banks. Last year, some $6.8 million in contested charges and fees was returned to consumers; that included thousands of cases with charges as low as $25.

Start by asking your card company for any documentation supporting its decision -- it's required by law to provide that information. Then make copies, and file a complaint with the CAG. For more information, call the group (800-613-6743) or see its Web site at www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm.

Awesome article. I'm glad you mentioned DeepShark, I was thinking of trying them one day. Thank you very much!! :D

bread's done
Back