Installed new CPU. Can't get past POST

strdr4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Don't know what else to do. I'm at my ends here. Any suggestion would be helpful as I'm having the worst computer problems yet.

I just installed a new CPU since my old one was broken. One pin broke off and so there was no signal to the monitor. I bought a new one and that seemed to fix the non-signal, but with a solution arose another problem. After pressing keys to go into the BIOS or Boot menu, I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I just expected a normal boot, but the first screen that comes up is the emachines logo with 2 options:

Boot Menu - F2
BIOS- F10

The boot menu would take me to a screen with a small list of the primary/secondary channel slaves/masters and one of the lines read CMOS Error-Default loaded. Battery problem? I've jumped the CMOS and switched the battery out for 30 mins and did both for 30mins. I power back on, same screen, same error. I decided to move on.

At the bottom there were 2 more options: F1 to continue and F2 to go into BIOS. I believe I tried both buttons and it sent me to the next screen which was all black with the underscore blinking.

That's is as far as I got. Nothing works in this screen. So I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried powering on each component individually, but there was no diffference. The cpu is completely in line. There are no bent pins. It slit in very well with the board. All the fans spin. Memory sticks were switched. I've been at this for most of 2 days now checking and rechecking everything. No visible damage on board. DVD drives work. Light turn on. Just can't get past POST!

My Specs:

MSI 939 Mobo (T6524 emachines)
X800GTO
430W psu
Athlon 3800 cpu

Last edited by a moderator:
1 gig of ram.

This is the premade emachines T6524. It comes with 1 gig RAM (2 512), 200gig Drive among other things.

I've only replaced the video card to the x800 and installed a psu and a new heatsink. I've switch the memory sticks around, but no success.

I'm desperate right now. My friend is helping me through AIM, I'm posting this at other websites. I need all the suggestions I can get because sadly, I'm on my PC everyday and this was my first strong PC. I wish I have the money to upgrade to dual core, but right now, this is all I have and I want it back.

I might even take it to a repair shop...

Did you replace the old processor with a new one of the exact same specs? If your replaced it with a faster one your motherboard may not be able to use it. I had this problem before when i switched out an old cpu with a faster one, my mb wouldn't recognize the faster one so i had to put the old one back in. I tried to replace an AMD 64 2800+ with and AMD 64 3000+ by the way.

I did replace it with a faster one. I had an Athlon 3500 and replaced it with a 3800. There must be a way to get my mb to recognize it since upgrading cpus is a common practice. My mb is an old one. It's 939 and I made sure the new cpu is 939 socket as well.

You most likely are going to have to flash the bios. Without being able to boot though your going to probably have to do it from an A drive which will involve downloading the bios on another computer an putting in on a disc. Any way you can exchange the 3800 for a 3500 just to check and see for sure if thats your problem?

I don't think I can exchange it. Most 939 sockets have been dropped. This is the only 939 cpu that Newegg has. FRYs doesn't even carry 939s. Amazon has a 3500 939, but it's way overpriced.

About flashing the drive, that might be a good idea. There is a CMOS error that I got, but I don't know how I'm going to do that if I can't even boot, much less boot from a disc.

Yeah if you cant exchange it about the only thing you can do is flash it. Socket 939 stuff is hard to find. You may want to look into some forums on flashing, good luck and hope you get it all worked out.

Most likely the mobo has some proprietary BIOS that only accepts a certain range of CPUs. Try a new mobo or flash your current one. How on earth did did the old CPU get broken pins?

Umm.. that was my fault. It's really hard putting that thing in. :(

I'll try flashing it.

Some of the 3500 chips were 67 watt models, while all of the 3800 were 89 w. That could be tripping up your board. There are no emachines flashes for the board, so you'll have to get the board number and try the MSI website.

[quote name='strdr4']Umm.. that was my fault. It's really hard putting that thing in. :(

I'll try flashing it.[/QUOTE]

After reading this I'm thinking your mobo may be messed up. If you pushed hard enough to break pins on the CPU.......yikes!.....

[quote name='joemoedee']According to the manual for the motherboard:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...184&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It can support up to a 4000+/FX-55 or higher

So, I don't think it's going to be solved with a BIOS flash.

As you have reset your CMOS, your boot device priority settings could have been reset. So, how are your boot drive priority settings, set? It almost seems as though it's searching for a drive that doesn't exist.[/quote]

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the 3800 is supported.

How can I tell what my boot priority settings are? That could be a logical answer since it's just hanging at a black screen. I'll try switch IDEs maybe. I can't go into BIOS myself.

yes. It was just one pin and I got it out (threw away >.>). This new processor fitted in very smoothly.

This is all that comes up at the BOOT Menu:

Pheonix Technologies, LTD

Main processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Memory Testing: 1047552k OK
IDE Channel 1 Master - None
IDE Channel 2 Master - None
IDE Channel 3 Master - None
IDE Channel 4 Master - None
IDE Channel 5 Master - None
IDE Channel 5 Slave - WDC WD 2000RB-22GUCO 08.02008 (Hard drive)
IDE Channel 6 Master - CD drive
IDE Channel 6 Slave - DVD drive

CMOS Checksum error - Defaults Loaded

F1 to continue, F2 to BIOS (Both leads to blinking cursor screen)

And that's it. Maybe there's something wrong here that I'm not aware of?

I have a friend coming over in a couple of days to check it out and maybe having someone on the scene make things easier.

It seems HP uses the same board:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

Scroll down, and you'll see the reset Bios jumper, and how to use it. Swap it to reset CMOS. Turn it on. See if anything changes. If not, turn the system off and put the jumper back into its place.

Turn it back on.

Try getting into BIOS during POST by DEL. Repeatedly. That should get you into the BIOS. If it doesn't, and the jumper is set correctly... I'm thinking bad motherboard.

The only real good news I could give you then would be it seems that system uses a standard mATX motherboard. 939 is a bit hard to find, but.. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A8N-LA-WB&cat=MBB

My keyboard just stops working if I try to press anything before the boot screen. It's just random whenever it decides to work. It's not a faulty kb since I'm using it now on another pc.

With the jumper on pins2-3, it boots up the same way. Emachines logo comes on and if I leave it alone, the boot menu that I posted above comes up and same blinking cursor next screen. I tried holding Del and repeat Del, but the keyboard just doesn't respond. The CAPS light doesn't even turn on.

I placed the jumper back to 1-2 an same screens. Keyboard stops working if I hold or repeat of DEL. I'll keep trying.

I have no idea. Someone just made a mention about that on another board. It should be Master 5 I guess. Do I just need to plug the other IDE in or is there some jumper to set it to Master?

The hard drive itself should have a jumper on the back of it set to cable select (CS) or master (m) if you're booting from it, but honestly, I think you're in way over your head at this point.

If you were just directly swapping CPUs, none of this should even be an issue. Very convoluted situation you have going here.

In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend messing around with anything else until you can get someone even slightly more knowledgeable than you over to look at it and try to straighten it out.

Yes. You're right, but I just can't help but keep messing around it. Hopefully I don't screw up anything else.

oh, I give up. -.-

I need a miracle now. (wink wink)

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']The keyboard disengaging randomly sounds bad...I'm thinking it's the board.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Is it a PS/2 or USB keyboard? If it's PS/2, you can always try a USB instead. (Or vice-versa) If it's still not letting you into BIOS, I'm thinking the MB is shot.

bread's done
Back