"Interesting" Japanese Game Getting Translation: Ouendan?

Foolman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Many people started guessing that Ouendan was going to show up at E3 this year because of Craig IGN' post about surprisingy DS titles that were shown at a conference.

http://blogs.ign.com/craig-ign/2006/04/20/13188/

In that last photo, you can see that he is wearing headphones and using the stylus.

There have also been information going around that Ouendan is making it to Europe.

N-philes had an interview with Morgan Webb, recently and she accidently lets something slip. It has been edited out of the article, but GoNintendo says that they have been informed that the title slipped was Ouendan.

Article: http://www.n-philes.com/features.php?id=252

N-P: Moving more to E3, what games are you interested in seeing, or hoping to play on the show floor?
MW: Well, right now, we don’t know exactly which games are necessarily going to be playable on the show floor. I’m definitely interested in seeing… at this point, I’m kinda more interested in seeing the games that are kinda coming out for the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 more than a game that isn’t necessarily going to be playable. Of course I’m going to get on the floor and play a lot of the games. I’m a dork, and I’m kinda looking forward to Command & Conquer 3, and I am interested in Assassin’s Creed from Ubisoft. It looks interesting. We’ve only seen the trailer, but for some reason I’m really excited about it. Probably because Ubisoft does a really good job with their games as a general rule. Of course there’s a new Battlefield, which I’m kinda excited about, and Crisis, which is built on the Far Cry engine, which is very interesting. It’s a shooter, but it’s beautiful, it’s absolutely beautiful, which is exciting. I’m a dork, but I also like, you know this game for the DS, it’s called [oops!-ed]. It’s the US version of [bad Morgan Webb! bad!]. I like that Nintendo is taking chances on some of these interesting games and translating it for the American audience.

(The edited section above apparently deals with a US version of Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! which will be named Elite Agent Force. While this isn’t 100% confirmed by Nintendo, it is a pretty safe bet.)

So what do you guys think? Is Ouendan making it to the US? If it does, do you think we're going to lose all the Japanese songs and be stuck with American ones?

Hmm... I suppose that's good. At worst, it gives me an option of importing or not. At best it gives us either a well-translated version, or it gives me a totally new game where importing will still be worthwhile in addition.

Awesome. I can get this version and get so down with Linkin Park and Carrie Underwood.

EREET! AGENT! FAAAAWWWWWWWWWWS!!!!

Yeah but it is not like the songs are going to be the same, if anything it will be like a n American sequal and I am down with that.

[quote name='Foolman']
So what do you guys think? Is Ouendan making it to the US? If it does, do you think we're going to lose all the Japanese songs and be stuck with American ones?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be way too much work to find new songs for the US release and then have them work with the game's rhythms? If they change the songs, I'll just import the Japanese version, but I doubt they'd go through all that.

Hope it doesn't suck. It's such a great game, it'd be a shame if they ruined its reputation with many people in the US with a bad translation.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Hope it doesn't suck. It's such a great game, it'd be a shame if they ruined its reputation with many people in the US with a bad translation.[/QUOTE]

Translating the game shouldn't be too big of a deal, even if it is poorly done, as the story line REALLY takes a backseat to the gameplay. I'm really curious as to what kinds of songs they'll pick, and hope it will have as good a variety as the original Ouendan did.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Translating the game shouldn't be too big of a deal, even if it is poorly done, as the story line REALLY takes a backseat to the gameplay. I'm really curious as to what kinds of songs they'll pick, and hope it will have as good a variety as the original Ouendan did.[/quote]

That's what I was going for. I didn't really mean translation of words (although I hope that's good as well)... I don't know what to call it. The overall changing it to be sold in the US. Mainly, song change, if there is any. I can see plenty of people being turned off because there's shitty music on it.

If they do change the songs, though, I'll probably buy it. It'll be like a new version of Ouendan, really. And I could use more. :]

Edit: Is there even a story to speak of? Each level has one, but none of them have anything to do with each unless you count the Ready Steady Go level.

i should probably get off my ass and import this game already.. I played it a little bit and loved what i saw ^_^

eh... why not. i'll need to consult my budget first, though.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I don't know what to call it. The overall changing it to be sold in the US. Mainly, song change, if there is any. [/QUOTE]
Localizing.

[quote name='botticus']Localizing.[/quote]

Ah! I've heard that before. Should've made the connection.

Thanks. :x

[quote name='Ecofreak']Translating the game shouldn't be too big of a deal, even if it is poorly done, as the story line REALLY takes a backseat to the gameplay. I'm really curious as to what kinds of songs they'll pick, and hope it will have as good a variety as the original Ouendan did.[/QUOTE]

they should just leave it untranslated. I have more fun putting words into their mouths :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']they should just leave it untranslated. I have more fun putting words into their mouths :lol:[/QUOTE]

ADLIBS FTW!!!

In the year 20XX...
A random CAGer turns on his DS with Elite Agent Force inserted, playing it for the first time.
A level is chosen, the lights go out, a woman screams, and lightning surrounds the creepy castle. Suddenly...
"Backstreet's Back, ALL RIGHT"

The aftermath:
:twoguns: :ds:

[quote name='Cao Cao']In the year 20XX...
A random CAGer turns on his DS with Elite Agent Force inserted, playing it for the first time.
A level is chosen, the lights go out, a woman screams, and lightning surrounds the creepy castle. Suddenly...
"Backstreet's Back, ALL RIGHT"

The aftermath:
:twoguns: :ds:[/QUOTE]
Blasphemy... I just popped in my aptly named "Freshman Year Pop Remix" that I burned in 1999. And yes, that song was there along with Britney, and everyone else you can imagine. The US release of Ouenden should copy my CD.

[quote name='botticus']The US release of Ouenden should copy punch my CD into submission. Repeatedly.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought you said.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad news. I just bought this game last week for $40 shipped, so I'd hate to see it available cheaper than that and in English so soon. But if they do change the songs, then I'll be glad I bought it when I did.

Having imported this about a month ago, I'd be pretty...no, fuck that. Simply calling it "Elite Agent Force" makes the Japanese version better.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Having imported this about a month ago, I'd be pretty...no, fuck that. Simply calling it "Elite Agent Force" makes the Japanese version better.[/QUOTE]

Its part of localizing man. Male Cheerleader wouldnt sell well in America at all, so its a good thing since Elite Agent Force wouldnt scare anyone away, it really is a great game. Still the game i spent most time playing for the DS so far(good replay value IMO)

Glad it's coming over here, but I no faith in the song choices that will be made. Ah well, this just means 2 different games to get in the long run. Doesn't bother me in that aspect. ;)

i was playing this last night and wondering how they could just translate it and replace the songs. Each level is synched perfectly with the song, it's not like DDR where they can just replace the dance steps.

in any case, it should be interesting. I wonder if they'll change the violin guys game over screen (sitting on the toilet)

bread's done
Back