interesting or semi-obscure games

johnmirra

CAGiversary!
i have decided that my ps2 collection will be only the type of game listed in the topic name, now it may sound dumb but i already own only games that arent just blind action games and such. so in saying that anyone want to suggest some games for me to check out.

p.s. i have games like obscure and indigo profecy and i think these two are perfect examples of what i looking for though

Where I live in Europe Katamari Damacy was not realeased, but fortuneatly We Love Katamari were relased here.

Can defineatly recomend it. The concept is that you roll a ball of different things, ranging from paper clips to houses. Really fun and the music is great:D

alright now that sounds good, rule of rose and ghosthunter seem cool, anyone play haunting ground

fatal frame? these are great selections, i will be out searching for ghost hunter and haunting ground today

[quote name='smarkbran']ibut kings field is pretty good from what i hear.
[/QUOTE]

You heard wrong.

Haunting Ground is really good. Also try Clock Tower 3.

And it goes without saying: Chulip.

Second Sight was really good I thought, despite non-glowing reviews. Im assuming you know of the Silent Hill games.

A horror game called Siren was decent, just don't go in expecting RE4. Kuon was decent also. If you liked the tank movement Resident Evil games those 2 should be right up your alley. I like horror games and I really liked those 2.

As someone mentioned earlier, The Thing. It is really good and can be found for really cheap.

Here are my suggestoins for some good obscure games. Decide for yourself which games you might like to add to your collection.

*Alien Hominid (very good 2D platform/shooter)
*Beyond Good & Evil (awesome adventure game)
*Culdcept (awesome card/board game for 2 player....single player is really weak)
*Drakan: the Ancient Gates (I really liked this adventure D&D type game...if you like dragons you’ll like this game. Plus, you can get it on the cheap now)
*Escape From Monkey Island (someone else suggest it also. A good PC type click adventure game)
*Fatal Frame (If you like horror games....get this game! This is the scariest game I’ve ever played on the PS2 & to top it off: it’s rated T. That means they didn’t have to throw blood, violence & profanity to scare the crap out of you! Highly recommended!)
*Fliipnic (a great pinball game- with a twist)
*Future Tactics (OK, this game’s graphics & story suuucks hard. Plus it will take you only about 10 hours to beat....but for some reason I liked this game alot. It sucked me in & I couldn’t stop playing it)
*Goblin Commander (simply the best RTS game on any console. They made the controls easy & graphics are great)
*Ico (you have to play this...enough said)
*Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (A great SIM game, wiht dinos....that rocks! I hate sim games, but the thought of my sims getting eaten by my Raptor or T-Rex owns!)
*Mark of Kri (great stealth/adventure game with animation very Disney-like....but it’s M rated. So it’s like a Disney movie on steroids)
*Psychonauts (great adventure game with a wierd story line)

Ring of Red
Way of the Samurai
Sphinx
Sub Rebellion
Shadow of Destiny
Finny the Fish
Bombastic
Kya
Everblue 2
Adventures of Cookie & Cream

'The Thing' is a hugely underrated game.

Its sci-fi AND horror and does both well. I paid $7 for this way back when and I overpaid since you can get it now for like $3. At that price I Guarantee its the best $3 game you ever play.

It has this great gameplay mechanic where your teammates all have a 'trust' level you have to maintain. And any of them can be infected at any time. If they get too scared and dont trust you, they will be of little use. You can give them items to build their trust. Its just an awesome concept that Ive never seen in any other game, and really lends itself to the aura of fear and paranoia that the game is going for.

[quote name='Puffa469']'The Thing' is a hugely underrated game.

Its sci-fi AND horror and does both well. I paid $7 for this way back when and I overpaid since you can get it now for like $3. At that price I Guarantee its the best $3 game you ever play.

It has this great gameplay mechanic where your teammates all have a 'trust' level you have to maintain. And any of them can be infected at any time. If they get too scared and dont trust you, they will be of little use. You can give them items to build their trust. Its just an awesome concept that Ive never seen in any other game, and really lends itself to the aura of fear and paranoia that the game is going for.[/QUOTE]

Still have that sitting on my shelf for the PC.. I should load it up.

[quote name='johnmirra']alright now that sounds good, rule of rose and ghosthunter seem cool, anyone play haunting ground[/quote]

Haunting Ground is an awesome game in my opinion. I loved every minute of it and it was well worth the $10 I paid for it, probably even more. If I recall correctly, it takes about 7-8 hours to complete the game, but you get a lot of cool extras after that. Nice graphics, creepy atmosphere and fun gameplay.

[quote name='johnmirra']i wish some of these games were eaisier to find[/quote]

:lol:

you asked for semi-obscure games! ;)

some games im partial to are

the suffering 1

star wars bounty hunter

psi ops

ico

shadow of the colossus

matrix parh of neo

fight night round 2

Galerians: Ash - japanese sci-fi/survival game. The plot is something like Akira - evil kids (except for main character) with special powers and a computer program trying to destroy the city.

Solutions to puzzles aren't always apparent, there's lots of backtracking and getting lost. Camera spins continuously during fights like kingdom hearts but worst. Even with the flaws I enjoyed playing through it once. I would like to replay it but don't want to go through the slow pacing another time.

Psi Ops is cool.
Kya seemed fun.
I though Star wars Bounty Hunter was dreadful. cool idea but a pain with the camera and controls (like Getaway).

[quote name='johnmirra']i wish some of these games were eaisier to find[/quote]

I've seen Haunting Ground and Alien Hominid several times in the past few days at Sears, in the stickered-but-cheap section. Haunting Ground was $14.99 and Alien Hominid was 9.99

I really, really liked Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Ugly, but lots of fun.

not sure i would be into the card game thing, whats the name of that game wher you set traps in like a castle or mansion or something like that

Most of the stuff I was going to suggest is already in here, so I'll just mention:

"Extermination" Sort of a cheapman's RE. Been a long time since I played it but I remember enjoying it.

"HeadHunter" Never played the second one, but this one is a mix of stealth/action/driving. It was a decent attempt at trying to do a movie style plot/enviroment but it just didn't quite make it.

"James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing" I remember having a blast just seeing how fast I could get the bike going, but the single player is really enjoyable.

[quote name='dopa345']Culdcept - The quintessential "best game no one's playing".[/quote]

I love Culdcept, and me and my wife, and friend used to play 3 player games of this for hours.

The problem is that theres really not that many cards in the game, and after a few plays youve seen most of what the game has to offer.

I know there are like a hundred versions of Culdcept in Japan, so Im hoping we see some more versions ported over here. I'd LOVE a DS version with online play. I'd buy that in a second.

[quote name='Puffa469']I love Culdcept, and me and my wife, and friend used to play 3 player games of this for hours.

The problem is that theres really not that many cards in the game, and after a few plays youve seen most of what the game has to offer.

I know there are like a hundred versions of Culdcept in Japan, so Im hoping we see some more versions ported over here. I'd LOVE a DS version with online play. I'd buy that in a second.[/QUOTE]

I've put in hundreds of hours in that game and I still haven't gotten all the cards and achieved all the medals. It's the only game I consistently keep playing and I don't forsee myself losing interest anytime soon.

An online version on any console or handheld would just be amazing; really the only thing the game is lacking.

A few other semi-obscure games I like:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (any version) - Definitely not for everyone, but if the idea of a historically based Chinese bureaucrat RPG/strategy game appeals to you then look no further.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gate - A very underappreciated action RPG. The only PS2 game that 's remotely similar to Morrowind for the Xbox.

Front Mission 4 - If you like FM 3, you'll like this game; I never understood why it got lackluster reviews even though the gameplay is basically the same but with some nice improvements.

killswitch - Basically the same game as Gears of War... okay maybe not quite but still a fun game.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (any version) - Definitely not for everyone, but if the idea of a Chinese bureaucrat RPG/strategy game appeals to you then look no further.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gate - A very underappreciated action RPG. The only PS2 game that 's remotely similar to Morrowind for the Xbox.

Front Mission 4 - If you like FM 3, you'll like this game; I never understood why it got lackluster reviews even though the gameplay is basically the same but with some nice improvements.

killswitch - Basically the same game as Gears of War... okay maybe not quite but still a fun game.

Hmmm... okay, then change my statement of 'not enough cards' to 'takes too long to unlock the good cards' ;)

But yeah.. give us a new Culdcept with online play, and online card trading and Im there!

[quote name='dopa345']I've put in hundreds of hours in that game and I still haven't gotten all the cards and achieved all the medals. It's the only game I consistently keep playing and I don't forsee myself losing interest anytime soon.

An online version on any console or handheld would just be amazing; really the only thing the game is lacking.
[/quote]

[quote name='dopa345']I've put in hundreds of hours in that game and I still haven't gotten all the cards and achieved all the medals. It's the only game I consistently keep playing and I don't forsee myself losing interest anytime soon.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (any version) - Definitely not for everyone, but if the idea of a historically based Chinese bureaucrat RPG/strategy game appeals to you then look no further.

killswitch - Basically the same game as Gears of War... okay maybe not quite but still a fun game.[/quote]

yeah i agree with you on killswitch. its funny how people go on and on about the things you can do in gears when alot of it was done way before it in killswitch and the game still holds up to this day and is pretty hard too.

[quote name='Puffa469']Hmmm... okay, then change my statement of 'not enough cards' to 'takes too long to unlock the good cards' ;)

But yeah.. give us a new Culdcept with online play, and online card trading and Im there![/quote]
Culdcept came out for the x360 last september in japan. that probably has online play and all that jazz.

i doubt it'll come stateside, though :/

i played Cultcept a little bit, but no one would play with me :/

_________

For a kickass somewhat obscure title, i suggest you look no further than Neo Contra. Legend has it, that Konami set form their Contra development team into the wilderness when designing this game. In the wilderness, alone and frieghtened... They soon became mad, their own minds against them. They all went off in their separate directions, so's not to induce harm on each other. Exactly 5 minutes and 21 seconds later they returned to that spot where a flacade black goo, spurt from the ground..

Immerging from this goo, was a substance known as 'pure awesome'. They brought this substance back to konami headquarters and forged it into... Neo Contra. Suggesting you to purchase and play this game, would only leave you bead ridden for the next thousand years.. Such awesome can drive a person into pure extasy.

But if you want, most ShopKo's and K-marts have it for $10.. If i were more a man, i would own 10 copies, but alas.. i only own 2

bread's done
Back