interesting or semi-obscure games

[quote name='johnmirra']yeah just saw it on gamestop.com 60 bucks seems like alot for a ps2 port though[/quote]

What's the alternative though? Isn't Culdcept pretty difficult to find?

Besides, that price is a estimate by Gamestop.com, I'm going to guess it'll be at a budget price if anything.

no culdcept within 50 miles sooo i guess im waiting for the 360 version, anyway ghosthunter came yesterday and it great good suggestion

Thats an impressive amount of games youve bought up in the last week! :D

[quote name='johnmirra']no culdcept within 50 miles sooo i guess im waiting for the 360 version, anyway ghosthunter came yesterday and it great good suggestion[/quote]

I second Second Sight, 007:EoN, and Psi-Ops as very good, excellent, and excellent games in that order.

Excellent counts in this case as the highest level of good.

yea i went a little nuts buying games but im still nowhere near the amout i have seen in some collections here on cag

[quote name='johnmirra']yea i went a little nuts buying games but im still nowhere near the amout i have seen in some collections here on cag[/quote]

Thats true. I have around 200 PS2 games, but I didnt buy them all in a week. ;)

i have had the problem of trading in alot of stuff even if i wantd to keep it just becasue i didnt have the money for somethign else, i decided to stop that so now im building back up

Herdy Gerdy? I got it for like $2. It could have been a better game, but it comes across as a bit rushed though it is interesting enough to me for a few dollars.

herdy gerdy doesnt look like my kind of game thanks tho im looking fot the fatal frames and culdcept right now

[quote name='sladeums']a couple i don't think we're mentioned:

PS2:
Extermination
The Thing

[/QUOTE]

Both got mentioned already.

Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom are also interesting, depending on how much time you want to invest. Let me add Primal to the list also - it reminds me of the soul reaver games.

[quote name='jngx80']Both got mentioned already.

Magic Pengel and Graffiti Kingdom are also interesting, depending on how much time you want to invest. Let me add Primal to the list also - it reminds me of the soul reaver games.[/quote]

Of the two, I'd suggest Graffiti Kingdom first. You can have a lot of fun with it without getting too seriously into the game. It's amusing creating your own characters and playing the game with them.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga games. Both are less mainstream RPG's and very good with a darker theme and a bit of horror thrown in.

IMO Nocturne is the better of the 2 giving better gameplay while the DDS games have the better story.

Well, I'd have to say Okage. It was an early PS2 game. The art style pretty much aped Tim Burton, but the writing was hilarious.

Sky Odyssey. Launch game I believe but you'll lose five pounds with how much you'll be sweating.

Trying to pilot your plane through tiny crevises, slamming the brakes and trying to land on a small place. Great game, I should go play it now!

[quote name='ctice44']Here's a link that will help you out. Just type in your zip & see if Gamestop/EB has any Culdcepts in your area. This will be the cheapest way of buying.
Enjoy!

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:LElazV0TIhAJ:www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239328.asp+ebgames.com+culdcept+preowned&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us[/quote]

Wow, thanks! was wondering how the hell I'd figure out if it was worth going around my EB's looking for it again...guess not! I guess ebay's my only choice (it goes for about $25 there).

Also, seems like Culdcept Saga is postponed to October 30 (I think it was supposed to come out in August before?)...ah well, more time to save up for a 360

I've seen most of the games mentioned herein around my area before, whether in a Gamestop or local shop. Hell, I had the chance to OWN Magic Pengel AND Graffiti Kingdom for no more than $12 combined a little while ago, but they didn't look like my type of game.

While it may not be an 'obscure' title, I'd recommend:

Red Dead Revolver-very well done Western shooter game from Rockstar, which is getting a sequel on PS3.

Robot Alchemic Drive(also called RAD)- this game is usually $17.99 or so at Gamestop. You control a giant mech from the perspective of someone on the ground using an oversized PS2 controller.

Pirates: The Legend Of Black Kat-adventure game where you find buried treasure and fight scores of pirates. You utilize the Dual Shock 2 controller to help you find the treasure(kinda like hot/cold).

Blood Will Tell-weird RPG game where you go off to find all your stolen body parts and reclaim them from the 'fiends'. Very weird title, but very fun.

Two games that were mentioned already:

Mister Mosquito - Fun and quirky, though not great. I'd recommend it for cheap, though.

Stretch Panic - Definitely different and obscure, but I thought this game sucked. I couldn't even bring myself to play it more than once, ever.

[quote name='Backlash']
Stretch Panic - Definitely different and obscure, but I thought this game sucked. I couldn't even bring myself to play it more than once, ever.[/quote]

The only Treasure game I ever traded in. I did play it more than once. I traded it in so I wouldn't be tempted to give it another shot.

Mister Mosquito is neat, though. So is Mad Maestro.

I don't know if it was mentioned in the thread already, but if so, I'll second it for te interesting factor... (plus it's pretty obscure... seemed to fall off the radar fast)

R.A.D. - Robot Alchemical Drive. It was interesting to control a behemoth robot with the analog sticks... and when you ran into buildings, it showed... :)

[quote name='hamninja']Well, I'd have to say Okage. It was an early PS2 game. The art style pretty much aped Tim Burton, but the writing was hilarious.[/QUOTE]Wow, someone else played Okage! The gameplay was nothing remarkable, but I did like the writing and characters quite a bit.

I also second someone else's earlier suggestion of Front Mission 4, and would also like to recommend La Pucelle: Tactics.

Gungrave and Gungrave OD
Bujingai: The Forsaken City
La Pucelle Tactics
God Hand
R-Type Final
Shadow Hearts trilogy (Orig,Covenant,From the New World)
Sky Gunner
Rygar
to name a few recommendations in my collection....

Sticking to PS2-playable games with "mystery/ horror or scifi themes," "like Obscure and Indigo Prophecy," that are cheap, somewhat obscure, but still findable, here's a list (with some duplicates):

Beyond Good & Evil is a short, beautiful action/adventure, VERY cheap now.

The Fatal Frame games are pretty creepy, if occasionally contrived in the way they leak the story to you; but not super-cheap.

Since you can play PS1 games, pick up the two Parasite Eve games, and the Resident Evil ones (I forget which were available on PS1).

A little off what you were asking for:

ICO is more fantasy, but may be the most beautiful game made so far.

Resident Evil 4 is one of very few "shooting" games I've liked. Not only is it one of the only games I've replayed, but I replayed it something like eight times (I lost count). It's not that obscure, though.

I have not played the Silent Hill games myself, so I'm hesitant to recommend them, but they're pretty universally liked. Unfortunately, they aren't super cheap, and the first one will actually still set you back $30 or more on eBay.

A few picks from my collection:

Crimson Tears is a fun title with a definite "Streets of Rage meets RPG" feel to it.

Echo Night Beyond is a decent, slower-paced horror title. The character visuals haven't aged well, but the atmosphere and setting are still intriguing and creepy.

Jade Coccoon 2 is a good, Pokemon-esque title. Highly recommended.

Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon is a great dungeon crawler that mixes old-school challenge and atmosphere into one convenient package.

Ribbit King is the probably most oddball sports title in recent memory. It's golf, in a candy-coated universe. Instead of hitting a ball, you swat frogs over a variety of obstacle-and-bonus-filled courses. It's refreshingly addictive, and can be found for about 5 bucks.

Seek and Destroy mixes heavy tank action with a console RPG. You complete missions across the landscape, but also roll around 3D towns and socialize with the residents. Did I mention that all of the characters are sentient vehicles? :) Tons of customization and a lot of things to do on the side add longevity to the game which, unfortunately, is quite short. It can be found for about 3-5 bucks normally.

Future Tactics: The Uprising - A 3D, turn-based strategy game that mixes elements of action games into the mix. Again, this one can be found fairly cheaply. :)

Road Trip: A CarPG from the creators of Seek & Destroy. You control a sentient car again, and wander the world as you move from race to race. The translation isn't the best on earth, but the game itself is quite fun. A huge overworld to get lost in, a ton of things to do, and a plethora of customization options add to the overall finished product. Again, this one sold fairly poorly, and can be found for 3-8 bucks at most Gamestops.

Pick up XIII
I can only talk from the PC version but I'm sure the PS2 version stacks up as well. The single player, while not too lengthy, was fun and had an interesting story to follow it. The game can probably be picked up for under $10 nowadays.

bread's done
Back