International travel tips

Calamityuponthee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
I am going to Singapore / Thailand (Phuket Island) soon. Besides the general advice I've been receiving from websites/friends/family is there any personal experience I can learn from?

I think I am prepared.. passport/shots/register with consulate. But anything will be useful to me. Thanks.

thailand (phuket island)...Are you serious? HAHAHAHHHAA~ Hope you have a good time and don't stay with one girl if you see others you like.

General stuff like don't carry lots of money on you, if you are carrying a good bit of money, hide it in your sock, not a back pocket wallet. Be careful where/what you eat. Bring ass piss medicine, because if you're going to be there for any amount of time, explosive diarrhea will be happening.

Most of the international places I've traveled, with the exception of the Philippines have unbelievably low crime so I haven't had to worry much, but if you find yourself out late at night, walk with purpose and not wandering around aimlessly looking too much like a tourist.

Grow a mustache. Wear a floral shirt. If you've got a camera on you (and you should, you're a tourist), the effect should be similar to this:

14_midi.jpg

Also, refer to all authority figures as "higgy baby."

Imodium AD, lots of it. Oh and buy bottled water whenever you can, you'll be drinking a crap ton of it.

you realize if you're trying to avoid the water, simply eating the food that the water is cooked in can also make you sick.

my advice...be aware of pick pockets, esp in crowded areas like a market square.

Most food cooked in water is going to involve boiling the water, which would kill the bacteria etc.

Just avoiding tap water is usually sufficient in my experience. As well as common sense stuff like raw or under cooked foods that can cause issues.

I have a pretty weak stomach (irritable bowel issues etc.) and seldom have issues when traveling internationally doing nothing more than avoiding drinking tap water and eating anything too sketchy (be it food, or from a sketchy place).

Yeah, if the food is cooked well it shouldn't be an issue. Don't forget things like brushing your teeth use water as well, so use bottled for that. Don't' eat anything from street vendors either, it may smell delicious but they don't clean the cooking surfaces.

I heard that fresh coconut juice is a good alternative to water. As in the one's they have to hack open. Too bad I hate coconut.

[quote name='dohdough']I heard that fresh coconut juice is a good alternative to water. As in the one's they have to hack open. Too bad I hate coconut.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's delicious, especially if you put some in a blender with a frozen banana!...Yum!!..

[quote name='Clak']Yeah, if the food is cooked well it shouldn't be an issue. Don't forget things like brushing your teeth use water as well, so use bottled for that. Don't' eat anything from street vendors either, it may smell delicious but they don't clean the cooking surfaces.[/QUOTE]

Just getting well done food should help on that front. But I generally avoid street vendors even in the US for the same reason.

I did have some good food from street vendors at night markets in Taiwan last summer with no issues though. Again just sticking to well done fried foods etc. to hopefully kill any germs.

Man, IMO the experience of having that street vender food vastly outweighs the time in the bathroom. I did it in Hong Kong, Saudi, the UAE (didn't see much/any of it in the Philippines) and they were some of the best meals I had. I actually got sick in Hong Kong from my friend's grandma's cooking. The street food wasn't a problem!

[quote name='berzirk']Man, IMO the experience of having that street vender food vastly outweighs the time in the bathroom. I did it in Hong Kong, Saudi, the UAE (didn't see much/any of it in the Philippines) and they were some of the best meals I had. I actually got sick in Hong Kong from my friend's grandma's cooking. The street food wasn't a problem![/QUOTE]

Big ups to berzirk. I stick to a fairly regimented travel routine, and while I keep a basic diet otherwise, I wouldn't in a million years skip street vendors. That's the craziest, most depressing bullshit I've ever heard. I guess if you don't know anyone local you don't eat street food, but even then, grab a concierge, tip him a shitload and get some recommendations. It's worth it.

Two other travel tips working toward a shared goal:

1. Buy as many liters of bottled water as you can when you get in town and store them in the hotel, keep a liter on you at all times. Stay hydrated.

2. Figure out what your work schedule allows and walk as much as possible during the day hours.

These tips in concert help keep you "regular." I guess it's not a problem if you're eating or drinking parasite-riddled consumables, but usually my concern on trips is getting backed up. If I'm shitting like clockwork on the road, I'm feeling good.

bread's done
Back