Interplay Folds

Well that blows, another old-school PC dev-house bites the dust. I remember when I first played Metal Arms, upon seeing the splash screen for Sierra (On-Line), I was like: "Wow, they're still in business?!"

Wow. I remember now reading about how they hadn't paid rent in a while. Interplay was becoming the ghetto developer I guess.

They were waisting their time with the console action RPGs like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. They needed to work on PC RPGs, especially D&D games.

They didn't fold they were shut down for not paying worker insurance, they opened back up today according to IGN

[quote name='defender']*cough* *cough*

ahem...[/quote]

Defender, hurry, you better patent your idea of the video game market crashing soon!!!

This had nothing to do with any crash. If anything, blame severe mismanagement. I remember reading about Interplay having financial woes mainly because the guy in charge is trying to run things seat-of-your-pants style, which is a huge risk. It obviously didn't pay off here.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='CTLesq']Its called not paying your bills.[/quote]

Got to have money to do that.[/quote]

Who says they didn't have it?

they've been on their last legs for years now. With BIS gone, there was very little of value left at Interplay past its own IP, and most of its better selling games of recent memory were using a D&D license they no longer have access to.

You can thank Titus for this, FWIW, they saddled Interplay (which they own majority control of) with so much debt and so many pisspoor agreements there was no way to salvage the company.

Addendum: I better point out that the above statements are opinions and not meant to influence any investment decision (so as not to get my ass sued). In the interest of fair disclosure I was at one point an investor in Interplay, but have not held the stock in at least 12 months.

Mismanagement is most likely the cause but it's hard to manage within an industry that's having severe problems.

Many companies are or will be suffering this year.

bread's done
Back