Intramural sports in college?

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
So, I am thinking of transferring to a real, 4-year school after finishing up with my AAS in December. And I was just wondering about intramural sports. I am probably too old to make a run for the REAL baseball team for some of these schools (they would be D2), so I can only relive my athletic glory in the form of intramurals. I guess my question is, how do intramural sports even work? Any information you college-types can give me would be much appreciated.

Well in Bloomsburg (where I went) there was a ton of sign up sheets for all sorts of intramural games/leagues at the rec center. And as far as I knew, the rec center manager had certain sports all set up where he had rec center volunteers manage the leagues (get people to sign up for their designated sport, choose the teams and team capts, reserve playing areas, get equipment to the area at appropriate time, etc). I'm not sure if that gets anywhere near answering your question but there ya go.

[quote name='Maklershed']Well in Bloomsburg (where I went) there was a ton of sign up sheets for all sorts of intramural games/leagues at the rec center. And as far as I knew, the rec center manager had certain sports all set up where he had rec center volunteers manage the leagues (get people to sign up for their designated sport, choose the teams and team capts, reserve playing areas, get equipment to the area at appropriate time, etc). I'm not sure if that gets anywhere near answering your question but there ya go.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what he said. You should also be able to register as a team if you already have a group of people lined up. Or if you just want to find a team there should be a sign up sheet available to find a team.

If you are wondering about competition level then I'd say it definitely varies. At my school there were usually 1-2 really good teams, a few average teams, and then 2-3 really bad teams. It was that way for most all sports. For example for Floor Hockey there were 2 teams made up of people that had been playing together for 2-3 years and almost everyone on the team had played Ice Hockey or Roller Hockey before. Then there were a couple teams that had a few decent people that had been together for awhile and finally there was 1 team made up of all girls that were just there to have fun and were absolutely terrible, but they had a blast, then there was another team that was pretty bad.

Intramurals were huge at my school. Just look for sign/flyers about upcoming sports and go to the rec department and ask for a sign up sheet. I the biggest problem I saw was people signing up and when it comes time to play they don't want to or they "have to study" (Study? WTF), girls are the ones that usually do this (if you are on co-rec). We use to get 5-6 girls to sign up for co-rec dodgeball and when it came time to play we would have to find 5 other girls last minute because the others don't want to play.

Broomball (hockey w/ shoes and brooms) was the most popular intramural at my school. It was so popular that the last game for a night would be played starting at 1 AM.

If you have an idea of what school you want to go to then go check out their website and see if there is intramural info.

Off-topic, but I was wondering; if you intend to transfer to a 4 year school, is it worth it to get the AAS?

I ask because I had been in that situation at one point and it didn't make sense for me to get the Associates degree.

Yeah, they just have sign up sheets, or you can be a captain and form your own team if you have enough people.

I play soccer and flag football a couple times a year, as graduate students myself and others in my grad program usually play in the graduate student/facutly/staff league as we're too old and lazy to chase around undergrads all day. That and not wanting to play with/against your students.

[quote name='QiG']Off-topic, but I was wondering; if you intend to transfer to a 4 year school, is it worth it to get the AAS?

I ask because I had been in that situation at one point and it didn't make sense for me to get the Associates degree.[/quote]When I originally decided to go to the school I go to now, I had no intentions of continuing on with a 4 year. I picked the school I did because I didn't believe I could get into a 4 year.

They have tons of different sports ranging from actual sports (Hockey, Baseball, Football) to weak shit (Pickleball, Volleyball).

You usually sign up, but if it's a competitive intramural then they usually have like 2 different teams, one that plays hardcore, and one that's for uncoordinated losers.

[quote name='ph33r m3']
You usually sign up, but if it's a competitive intramural then they usually have like 2 different teams, one that plays hardcore, and one that's for uncoordinated losers.[/QUOTE]

At bigger schools they have a lot of different leagues. I think we have A, B and C skill leagues, coed leagues and the grad/fac/staff leagues for us old farts at my university.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']23, but why should that matter? I have the maturity of an 18 year old ;)[/quote]Well,you said you were too old but wanted to know how old.I don't really care if you are mature....or not.

bread's done
Back