Introducing PlayStation Rewards

mwynn

CAGiversary!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...way-to-earn-exclusive-status-and-recognition/

Today, we’re excited to share news of the launch of PlayStation Rewards, a new program that recognizes and rewards our users for simply doing what they love – playing games and interacting with the entertainment content that PlayStation has to offer. We really wanted to create something that says, “thank you” for being a loyal PlayStation fan.

In its initial launch tomorrow (Oct. 28th), PlayStation Rewards will be an invitation-only beta to all eligible PlayStation Plus and Gamer Advisory Panel (GAP) members. We’re kicking things off as a beta so that we can get feedback from our most loyal fans in order to make it the best possible rewards program it can be. It’s also worth noting that during the beta phase, the program will be focused on PlayStation 3 owners, but we hope to include PSP users as well not too far down the road. Oh, and one more thing: PlayStation Rewards will be free – there is no fee to join!

Now, to give you a bit more details on the new loyalty program… PlayStation Rewards is designed to give you the opportunity to gain exclusive status, recognition, and rewards as a thank you for your continued interest in PlayStation. And, the best part is that you don’t have to do anything different. Keep playing new games, buying content purchased from PlayStation Network in the PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home, download movies and TV shows, or just communicate with us by taking one of our surveys, for example, and you’ll now be recognized for it.

The more you play and participate, the more progress you’ll make through our three reward tiers — “Select,” “Pro,” and “Legendary.” As your status increases, so do the rewards. And if you want to check out your current status level, simply go to your private profile page and look at the reward progress meter.

Considering how much I spend on psn I'm hoping I'll qualify for something pretty sweet. I'd even be happy with something akin to Club Nintendo.

All you PS+ users better give good feedback!

[quote name='mtxbass1']I hope I get an email about this. I've been a plus member since the beginning and never receive their beta emails...[/QUOTE]

You need to have been opted-in to marketing as of Oct 24th.

Believe it or not I'm a GAP(Gamer's Advisory Panel) member from back when they started that program. I say believe it or not since I know many will note how much disdain I have shown towards Sony and their direction they took this gen with doubling the console price at launch and such.

But so long as the rewards program isn't like the Best Buy/Sears/Kmart where it takes HUNDREDS of dollars to get ANY reward then I'll gladly participate. But if I've spent $60 total on PSN since I got the console two years ago it's a miracle.

Wow, for ages I've been opted in to receive their stupid e-mails (not a Singstar game has been released that I didn't know about) but then they send out beta for this thing and my account decides to opt itself out of communications.

Lovely.

[quote name='J7.']All you PS+ users better give good feedback!

You need to have been opted-in to marketing as of Oct 24th.[/QUOTE]

I did that weeks ago, or at least I thought I did via my ps3 console. I better not get the shaft here...

People are already expecting too much. It's just gonna be small things to say "thanks," I doubt we're gonna be getting any free games or anything, but I'm all for some free stuff for doing what I would do anyways.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']People are already expecting too much. It's just gonna be small things to say "thanks," I doubt we're gonna be getting any free games or anything, but I'm all for some free stuff for doing what I would do anyways.[/QUOTE]

i could see people getting vouchers for dlc or psn games.

Finally got my signup. Would have been nice if I would have gotten this 3 hours ago before I dropped $7.50 in the store...

I didn't get the email, but I found out I had access by being able to see the forum section when I logged in.

I guess being a G.A.P. member since 2003 finally paid off after netting me nothing before.

im in like flynn its prety cool you can see whose on psn from your friends list as well as your total trophies from the rewards page.

I'm surprised I got the e-mail. I was (am?) a part of the G.A.P. way back when it first started, and got invited to pretty much every beta, but I never bothered to link that account with my PSN account (although I used to use the same e-mail for both), so I stopped getting invites after they switched from "Underground" to PSN only.

Sony doesn't love me anymore.:cry: They used to send me stuff all the time as a G.A.P. member. They even sent me some ticket to some New Year's Eve event a number of years ago in NYC, along with some binder/organizer with a Playstation branded pen/lanyard//paper/some sort of armband and a bunch of demos all in a big Playstation branded bag.:D

But I guess they realized I've been besmirching their good name whenever I can, so I'm out of the freebies loop.:cry:

[quote name='lmz00']I'm surprised I got the e-mail. I was (am?) a part of the G.A.P. way back when it first started, and got invited to pretty much every beta, but I never bothered to link that account with my PSN account (although I used to use the same e-mail for both), so I stopped getting invites after they switched from "Underground" to PSN only.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, I didn't have time to link my accounts nor could I be bothered, so I let it lapse, maybe if I put my GAP hat on it'll bring me luck. :roll: Problem with that now is that won't accept my either of my email addys that were linked with my Underground account....:bomb: And their password recovery system (at least for me) has nothing on a snail...still nothing even after an hour now. :drool:

If I get it to work fine, if not, I'm not worried about it. Just read the FAQ sounds like they are going to run it similar to the Nintendo Club, but with hopefully better gifts.

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm in the same boat, I didn't have time to link my accounts nor could I be bothered, so I let it lapse, maybe if I put my GAP hat on it'll bring me luck. :roll: Problem with that now is that won't accept my either of my email addys that were linked with my Underground account....:bomb: And their password recovery system (at least for me) has nothing on a snail...still nothing even after an hour now. :drool:

If I get it to work fine, if not, I'm not worried about it. Just read the FAQ sounds like they are going to run it similar to the Nintendo Club, but with hopefully better gifts.[/QUOTE]
The e-mail it got sent to was my PSN address, not the old Underground one. Trying to login with my Underground info gets me nowhere.

Got my invite last night, but still don't understand how this works. I earn points (that they don't tell me about) for playing games I've never played in my PS3 right?

If this program is anything like PS+, i expect them to keep us in the dark about the details so that we just mindlessly grasp at straws until we are broke and have too many trophies.

Got in from previously being in G.A.P. The FAQ says that they're not telling us how to earn points, so that we'll earn them naturally from playing games and buying stuff instead of jumping through the listed hoops.

Got my invite. It seems the rewards will be avatars/themes/HOME stuff, PSN games/DLC are never mentioned on any of the FAQs or details pages, as for the points I think we can be pretty sure that you'll need to spend money for them (PSN purchases - games, movies, etc -, HOME purchases, etc)

[quote name='nbballard']If this program is anything like PS+, i expect them to keep us in the dark about the details so that we just mindlessly grasp at straws until we are broke and have too many trophies.[/QUOTE]
So then you're saying that I'll earn exactly the same amount of points on there like I earn from the Reward Zone program at Best Buy? That being next to nothing since I only go to their store for clearanced/pennied stuff or if someone gives me a gift card for a birthday or Christmas(which you don't earn points for using anyway:bomb:).

I only fund my PSN account with random $10/20 cards and only if I want something that either adds A LOT of story to a game I have or adds some stupidly overpowered ability that makes the game a breeze to play.;)

So I imagine by 2015 I might have enough for a $5 PSN game, but just like every 'rewards' program I'm sure the points will expire at the end of a year.:roll:

I got in. But I don't ever buy stuff anymore because I'm going to school and not working. So if anything this is a complete waste unless they count all the stuff I've bought in the past.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So then you're saying that I'll earn exactly the same amount of points on there like I earn from the Reward Zone program at Best Buy? That being next to nothing since I only go to their store for clearanced/pennied stuff or if someone gives me a gift card for a birthday or Christmas(which you don't earn points for using anyway:bomb:).

I only fund my PSN account with random $10/20 cards and only if I want something that either adds A LOT of story to a game I have or adds some stupidly overpowered ability that makes the game a breeze to play.;)

So I imagine by 2015 I might have enough for a $5 PSN game, but just like every 'rewards' program I'm sure the points will expire at the end of a year.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's the opposite, they're gonna give you points for not buying anything and for not supporting the store, so no worries, you'll be just fine. I mean, really? What kinda assholes would create a rewards program that gives more rewards to those that spend more money?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Nah, it's the opposite, they're gonna give you points for not buying anything and for not supporting the store, so no worries, you'll be just fine. I mean, really? What kinda assholes would create a rewards program that gives more rewards to those that spend more money?[/QUOTE]
A company that wants me to start spending my money by giving me an incentive(which they could do by LOWERING PRICES)to buy digital download crap from them?

Ten bucks for most of the games on PSN is a frickin' waste of money when you're used to paying $2-5 for physical media format games on clearance.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']A company that wants me to start spending my money by giving me an incentive(which they could do by LOWERING PRICES)to buy digital download crap from them?

Ten bucks for most of the games on PSN is a frickin' waste of money when you're used to paying $2-5 for physical media format games on clearance.[/QUOTE]

But its much easier to get the people that are spending money now to spend more. Thats why they geared the beta to PSN+ subscribers, they already have a vested interest in the PSN. It wont influence me to spend more but a cookie for buying DLC and shit I already by is cool by me.

LOL @ PSN+

I'm waiting for the day Sony says 'no more free PSN for anyone' and makes it a choice between getting PSN+ or NOT playing online.

The day that announcement comes is the day my backlog finally starts to shrink, since I keep playing the online modes of certain games and avoiding finishing any of the other games I have.:roll:

[quote name='lmz00']The e-mail it got sent to was my PSN address, not the old Underground one. Trying to login with my Underground info gets me nowhere.[/QUOTE]

They actually migrated my underground email to the one I signed up for and is linked to my PSN account, but just out of curiosity I tried my PSN email/pass and still nothing, and I still don't have any emails from them about password resets or anything to help me get this login thing sorted out...:whistle2:# (Or even the new account I tried to sign up for on another email address, still absolutely nothing to be found) dunno if I'm ever gonna get this stupid thing set up or not.

Sigh...

I signed up, but I really do not see any rewards at all on the page. All it had was an option for me to enter a sweepstakes to go to CES 2011.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Believe it or not I'm a GAP(Gamer's Advisory Panel) member from back when they started that program. I say believe it or not since I know many will note how much disdain I have shown towards Sony and their direction they took this gen with doubling the console price at launch and such.

But so long as the rewards program isn't like the Best Buy/Sears/Kmart where it takes HUNDREDS of dollars to get ANY reward then I'll gladly participate. But if I've spent $60 total on PSN since I got the console two years ago it's a miracle.[/QUOTE]

:applause: You'll be speaking for me then! fuck this pay hundreds of dollars type shit.

Finally got around to signing up (got the email a couple days ago). Been a G.A.P. member for years (2004?).

[quote name='Rig']Finally got around to signing up (got the email a couple days ago). Been a G.A.P. member for years (2004?).[/QUOTE]

I've been a member of GAP since 2004. They sent me a cd game storage case, and a pen with the playstation logo on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='raistlin']I've been a member since 2004. They sent me a cd game storage case, and a pen with the playstation logo on it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they send that just for being part of the GAP? I have it some place. Well the pen I no longer have as it got broken.

I got an invite to this but all I saw was the trip to CES. I don't know how much I will get into this as I really don't play my PS3 much at all.

I still have the pen from the binder thing around here someplace, as well as the lanyard and I think even the sweatband or whatever.

They sent me an invite too though. :rofl: If only they had been keeping track of all the fine things I have to say about all things Sony as of late.;)

bread's done
Back