ioquake3 1.36 release (OPEN SOURCE (NOT PIRACY!))

zakk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(Take 2, this is NOT A PIRATE PROGRAM OR SOMETHING, it is free software, like Linux, please do not delete it unless there is some other reason why it violates the ToS!)

Hey all, some of you already knew me via the few posts I've made on CAG. But most people don't know that I also develop FREE SOFTWARE (still not piracy!) in my spare time. This software I wanted to see if CAGs are interested in is called ioquake3.

ioquake3 is an open-source version of Quake 3: Arena. That means you still need a legit Quake 3: Arena cd to run the regular game, but there are also a number of free games based on it which do not require the Quake 3: Arena data:
http://ioquake3.org/extras/derivative-games/

Most people who just enjoyed Quake 3 at some point in the past would probably want the regular distribution of ioquake3, which you can read up on here:
http://ioquake3.org/2009/02/07/ioquake3-136-release-candidate-1/

Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

Hey, I have many questions for such a cool project so here we go.

First, when I launch it I get this:
*Edit, should have read the help version first, I'm an idiot

Secondly, what language is this written in and is making mods to this the same as making mods to Quake 3

Third, how long has it taken you to make this?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']
Secondly, what language is this written in and is making mods to this the same as making mods to Quake 3

Third, how long has it taken you to make this?[/QUOTE]

The game was written in C with some C++. Making mods is almost exactly the same as making mods for the original quake 3. The work is a team of hundreds, but most of the coding and oversight for that was done by m'very good friends Tim Angus, Ryan Gordon, and Ludwig Nussel. The project was started when id software released the initial source code dump back some years ago. Since then, we've been improving the project with stuff like in-engine VOIP and portability improvements to new platforms. A dedicated coder could even make the current engine run on an iPhone!

ioquake is cool. I recently learned that it's pretty much all that's played now. Took me a while to figure out why servers that I tried to join from my official 1.32 installation wouldn't load for me.

What are your plans for the project when Quake Live is... live?

[quote name='Sokkratez']ioquake is cool. I recently learned that it's pretty much all that's played now. Took me a while to figure out why servers that I tried to join from my official 1.32 installation wouldn't load for me.

What are your plans for the project when Quake Live is... live?[/QUOTE]

Glad you like ioquake3. Quake Live isn't so much of a direct competitor as an extension of the Quake 3 brand. Since you can't mod Quake Live, the hope is that interest in the capabilities of the Quake 3 tech will entice developers towards ioquake3.

[quote name='Sokkratez']Very sorry to hear of your troubles with Wikipedia. What a bunch of asses.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate the support.

bread's done
Back