iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
picked up ravensword.....will put some serious play time into it the next time im at work...played for about 20 minutes and REALLY like it

MobileNavigator is down $20 from original price, from $89.99 to $69.99.

Also, Enigmo 1 & 2 are each $.99 right now. Anyone have a CAG opinion on either of those?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Beneath a Steel Sky is on sale for $.99

I hear it's a damn good adventure game so I'll get it at that price.[/QUOTE]

Trying to buy it, but getting 'item is being modified' message. Hope I didn't miss the 99 cent price already.

[quote name='pinoyunggoy']Shouldni get geodefense or geodefense swarm first? I played the demo and absolutely love it. Should I just buy both? Haha[/QUOTE]

I don't own either but the general consensus is they're both the same game. It just depends on what kind of tower defense game you prefer. The original has the creep on a set path and Swarm has you building your own course.

I'll go ahead and vote for geoDefense Swarm. In my opinion, the open level gameplay is much better than the set path is. Both great... But Swarm is better.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Beneath a Steel Sky is on sale for $.99

I hear it's a damn good adventure game so I'll get it at that price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mkernan']Trying to buy it, but getting 'item is being modified' message. Hope I didn't miss the 99 cent price already.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it just got modified so im having the same problem but I'm sure in a bit it'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you all know by now, but it is now purchasable. I tried a few times last night and got the 'modified' message, but I just downloaded it now.

Since I don't yet have an iPhone, I am very selective about the apps I actually pay for (somewhat less selective about the free ones. I currently have 451 apps, and no device to put them on, lol), but I couldn't pass this up. I remember playing the PC version well enough to know I enjoyed it, but not well enough to provide myself any spoilers ;)

Gangstar is finally on sale, but it's still $4.99. I think it might be a price drop though because the app's description doesn't include anything about a sale.

[quote name='DtotheP']Gangstar is finally on sale, but it's still $4.99. I think it might be a price drop though because the app's description doesn't include anything about a sale.[/QUOTE]
That game would be a good buy at $1.99 for me. I am still waiting for GTA: Chinatown Wars, if it ever comes out on the app store.

Beneath a Steel Sky is a steal for anyone who enjoys steam punk style stories or adventure games in general, MUST pick the game up for $1.

Anyone have any opinions about the X-Wing trench run game from THQ? $4.99 seems a bit steep, even to a Star Wars fanatic like myself.

I bit on enigmo 2. I've only played it for a little while so far but I loved it. Definite recommend at $.99. Anyone have any opinions on pangea's other games?

BeejiveIM is $6.99 this week, down from $9.99. Lowest price it's been according to apptism. I remember when it was called Jivetalk and people were paying $50 on blackerry haha. BB app prices were out of line before the app store came around, still might be actually.

[quote name='DtotheP']BeejiveIM is $6.99 this week, down from $9.99. Lowest price it's been according to apptism. I remember when it was called Jivetalk and people were paying $50 on blackerry haha. BB app prices were out of line before the app store came around, still might be actually.[/QUOTE]

BeeJiveIM is not great. That said, I use it daily and it's sadly probably still the best option for AIM on the iPhone... BeeJive's biggest problem is that it's slow to launch and hop into a conversation if the conversation is long (has been open for a week or so). It also mangles http/s URLs if they have @s in them, which is pretty much every flickr link you'll find.

I hear the newest version of the official AIM client sucks less than it once did, but I can't vouch for that.

Have never spent more than .99 for an app but I might bite on Beejive today. I am scared of breaking the .99 mark because I am afraid I won't be able to stop buying apps anymore

I only use AIM and AIM's free iphone app works decently.

Doom Resurrection, the on rails Doom shooter, has dropped to $2.99 temporarily.

Picked up Beneath a Steel Sky, that 8-bit thing, MGS Touch and Dungeon Hunter.
Basically, I'm a sucker for everything mentioned here that's not a tower-defense game (never tried 'em, I'll wait for Zombies/Plants).

just started trying the free IM app ebuddy. So far so good. Works with all IM services so far including GChat and Facebook.

[quote name='eliter1']Have never spent more than .99 for an app but I might bite on Beejive today. I am scared of breaking the .99 mark because I am afraid I won't be able to stop buying apps anymore[/QUOTE]
There are a lot of quality apps beyond the 99¢ realm. Beejive is one of them.

I bought it at $9.99 back when push notifications were first being implemented, and I find that it is an app that I feel I have used enough to have been "paid for." I can't seem to say that about many of my 99¢ purchases.

Just bought Beneath A Steel Sky for 99 cents... And I don't even have an iPod touch yet. Also got Tasty Way and Ultimate Dungeon for free.

Has anyone used a Gen 1 iPod Touch and then a current gen iPod Touch and could comment on the wifi speed? Are app purchases and updates any faster? I have a airport extreme 802.11n network. The touch works fine but updates can be sluggish at times.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah the iphone style for this site is disgustingly gimped[/QUOTE]
Really? because it's one of only a couple forums that I find are actually legible on mobile safari. Even going landscape, the text is too small on other sites.

[quote name='Spoit']Really? because it's one of only a couple forums that I find are actually legible on mobile safari. Even going landscape, the text is too small on other sites.[/QUOTE]

The layout is fine, its the functionality that's gimped. No User CP, no way to see subscribed threads, etc etc. For basic viewing of recent threads, it does the job but it certainly leaves something to be desired in terms of site navigation.

yeah, go to xsellize's forum and check it out on the iphone..it is done pretty well

I got Monopoly and like it a LOT..it is done really well.

Havent played enough of Ice Age to properly say whether it is worth a purchase or not.

Cabby is pretty decent but the controls take a sec to get used too and it is too easy to crash.

Implode is very fun. Like it a lot.

Montezuma 2 is like bejeweled on speed with tons of power ups .. loving it

[quote name='outphase']There are a lot of quality apps beyond the 99¢ realm. Beejive is one of them.

I bought it at $9.99 back when push notifications were first being implemented, and I find that it is an app that I feel I have used enough to have been "paid for." I can't seem to say that about many of my 99¢ purchases.[/QUOTE]

Got Beejive and I cannot believe how good it is, really worth the $6.99 I paid for it. I know there are a lot of great apps that cost more than .99 but I just didn't want to cross that line. Now that I have it's going to be hard to stop myself from buying some of these more "expensive" apps on impulse...

Only problem with Beejive is that I not infrequently get logged off of one of my Yahoo Messenger accounts and then I can't log back in within Beejive - I have to go to the website and log in to fix it. Also there are some quirky things about creating contacts for some services. In some cases it doesn't work like you expect. Otherwise, though, a very nice app and definitely worth the $10 I paid for it... if you use IM services. One especially nice feature is that they provide free hosting for pictures and videos so you can IM videos and photos to people by just sending them a link. I took advantage of that pretty extensively on a vacation this past summer.

Just bought Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Holy crap. I thought the game was gonna be hipster crap, but shit... it's actually REALLY good. Just needed more levels though.

Doom is definately worth it for that price, that's what I got it at awhile back ... there's just never enough horror games are there?

Is anyone else having issues with Garters & Ghouls? It just keeps crashing on me, usually when I go into a shop but not everytime. I like the game do far other than that and the fact that you lose your weapon when you walk over a different one. One other minor grip is that she doesn't face the direction you're walking when you're not shooting, but most of these style of games do that ... and yes they all bug the crap outta me. :lol:

Caster is $.99 right now.

Also, IM+ lite has push and includes Twitter but it logs you out from push after an hour of no activity. The full version doesn't, of course.

Also, for those of you like me who jumped on twitbird when it was free, they've lowered the price of adding Push from $2.99 to $.99

1Password PRO is free (til 12/1, Was $4.99)

Also I figured we all have moms or girlfriends who'd like this so... Twilight The Movie Game just released by RealArcade and sponsored by Best Buy is FREE limited time:

Why can't I post links?

[quote name='iowaholdem']Is Doom Resurrection the on-rails shooter? At $2.99, can we get a few impressions on it's value?[/QUOTE]

Yes, its on rails but its got very high production value. I bought it at $2.99 and was not disappointed.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just bought Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Holy crap. I thought the game was gonna be hipster crap, but shit... it's actually REALLY good. Just needed more levels though.[/QUOTE]

I like the Space Invaders remake on XBLA and had been considering this. Wish it would go on sale!

Anyone try NIMBUZZ. It's an IM app like Beejive or IM+. But FREE. I just downloaded it but haven't had a chance to try it out. Anyone have any experiences with it. Good or Bad?

[quote name='107proof']Anyone try NIMBUZZ. It's an IM app like Beejive or IM+. But FREE. I just downloaded it but haven't had a chance to try it out. Anyone have any experiences with it. Good or Bad?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I needed that keyboard:hot:

bread's done
Back