iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Most CAGs should be Kaloki veterans if they got XBLA Unplugged for cheap. :p

The Fighting Fantasy book games dropped a dollar recently. Two bucks each.

Second the gentleman dissing Gameloft. They are a quality dev but most of their iphone "ports" of console games just don't work. Blades of Fury, Hero of Sparta, Sandstorm, couldn't get into any of them.

Where can I go in iTunes to see how much space my 260 apps are taking up? I hope I will be able to fit them all plus many more on my 32GB.

If you click on your iPod on the left under Devices it'll list how much space your apps are taking up on the player. Unless you are asking about something else?

[quote name='RollingSkull']The Fighting Fantasy book games dropped a dollar recently. Two bucks each.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have an opinion on these? Ae they any good / worth $2?

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Where can I go in iTunes to see how much space my 260 apps are taking up? I hope I will be able to fit them all plus many more on my 32GB.[/QUOTE]

The only way I know is to right click them and "Show in Windows Explorer", then select them all and see what it says.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']WOW! My 278 apps only take up 4.71GB!!!!! NICE!!! O__O Thanks Astinus.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that even though they do not take up much space you will not be able to put them all on at the same time. There is a limit of I believe 9 pages of apps on the iPod at one time.

I think the most you can have at one time is around 150 or so apps.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Keep in mind that even though they do not take up much space you will not be able to put them all on at the same time. There is a limit of I believe 9 pages of apps on the iPod at one time.

I think the most you can have at one time is around 150 or so apps.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can have more than that. I currently have 11 pages of visible apps, and another 6 pages that I can see in the app management page in iTunes, but don't show up on the phone. I can run the apps on these 6 missing pages by searching for them on the search page to the left of the first app screen.

You can always J-break you ipod/iphone and download CATEGORIES which lets you have folders that you can place apps in . I have over 200 apps and only have 3 pages of apps

[quote name='Thrakker']Actually, you can have more than that. I currently have 11 pages of visible apps, and another 6 pages that I can see in the app management page in iTunes, but don't show up on the phone. I can run the apps on these 6 missing pages by searching for them on the search page to the left of the first app screen.[/QUOTE]

ahhh cool, was wondering how I could access apps not on the first 11 pages. I've got way too many apps.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I don't want folders, and I don't want to jailbreak.[/QUOTE]

why dont u want to jailbreak your device , i couldnt even imagine having one that isnt jailbroken

FREE Crazy$Turkey$Blast. It's a fun little turkey hunt game with plenty of achievements through plus+. Also upgrade your guns unlock different turkeys, backgrounds, music, etc. Well worth the free download.

Only reason I see to jailbreak is to be able to customize your phone with themes, icons etc, tether, put icons into folders. Download tv shows, movies for free. Enable video recording on non 3gs models. Other than those and more. There is no real reason to jailbreak your device.

[quote name='Thrakker']Actually, you can have more than that. I currently have 11 pages of visible apps, and another 6 pages that I can see in the app management page in iTunes, but don't show up on the phone. I can run the apps on these 6 missing pages by searching for them on the search page to the left of the first app screen.[/QUOTE]

Nice I didnt know that before. Although I think I can handle having 100 or so on mine at once and still have plenty to play. I would hate to have to search since I would never remember what is on there to search for.

Being able to put category folders would be a nice touch though ...

[quote name='107proof']Only reason I see to jailbreak is to be able to customize your phone with themes, icons etc, tether, put icons into folders. Download tv shows, movies for free. Enable video recording on non 3gs models. Other than those and more. There is no real reason to jailbreak your device.[/QUOTE]
I just recently had to restore my phone after having it jailbroken forever. I had a weird bug happen to mine that took up about 6 gigs of space in the "other" category.

I loved having my custom themes, codec text tone, scrolling dock, and all the other great things you can do once you have unlocked the true potential of your iPhone.

I've always thought Apple was stupid for not selling theme packages in the app store. People love to customize and you can do some really cool stuff with the iPhone. The default look is plain and boring, not to mention everyone seems to own an iPhone now and have the same text tone, which is very annoying. I'd also like to see them implement a scrolling dock in a future update.

Anyway back to games!

I just caved today and downloaded Street Fighter IV, all I have to say is WOW! Capcom has really pulled off the impossible and put out a great Street Fighter game on the iPhone. The controls work surprisingly well and the presentation is amazing for an iPhone game. It's just really impressive that Capcom was able to put this out on the iPhone and it look and play much closer too it's PS3 and 360 cousins.

For $10 I highly recommend this for anyone who is a fan of the series or just wants a great fighter on the iPod or iPhone.

Xenostorm has 3 games free today. Minigame party, kings , and war generation. Haven't tried any of them yet. Sorry no links. To much trouble to do it on my phone.

[quote name='107proof']Only reason I see to jailbreak is to be able to customize your phone with themes, icons etc, tether, put icons into folders. Download tv shows, movies for free. Enable video recording on non 3gs models. Other than those and more. There is no real reason to jailbreak your device.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='107proof']Dang. What's with the '$' when I paste stuff in. Crazy turkey blast without the dollar signs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='107proof']FREE Crazy$Turkey$Blast. It's a fun little turkey hunt game with plenty of achievements through plus+. Also upgrade your guns unlock different turkeys, backgrounds, music, etc. Well worth the free download.[/QUOTE]

Don't you find it a little ironic that you can't even copy and paste properly and you don't even know why? I'd say, from your coments at least, it's because you've jail"broken" your phone. Lol. :lol:

I use to have an iPod Touch jailbroken, and it made my iPod touch a buggy mess. On the other, I really wish I could use Tethering on my iPhone, so I'm still somewhat tempted by the idea of jailbreaking. Of course I'd much rather that AT&T let us tether, even if it entailed an extra monthly fee (as long as it's reasonable).

As far as jailbreaking in order to download files, that isn't really necessary. You can use the alternative web browser iCab Mobile, for one, to download files. It isn't free, but it's cheap and it works well and has some very nice features, including the ability to set the browsers ID, which is nice for when you want to get around some annoying website that forces a gimped mobile version of the site on you. Anyway, I just tested it on that aforementioned site and it works great. The trick is to press and hold on a download link and then you are given options, one of which is to download the linked file. You can then access your downloads from the downloads icon in iCab Mobile.

I jailbroke then unjailbroke my phone after upgrading to the latest OS. Regretting it now, wish I had folders as I've run out of space. Really wish Apple would just add more pages in their next update. All they're doing is limiting sales.

Otherwise I really didn't care about custom backgrounds or emulators that didn't work very well anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']I use to have an iPod Touch jailbroken, and it made my iPod touch a buggy mess.[/QUOTE]

This. And for me it was my phone, which I need to be stable.

That, and my main reason for jailbreaking was the Categories app, which I found to be next to useless because it took so long to load. I don't want to have to wait 20-30 seconds for the folder app to load, have to go through the folders (slowly, because its response time wasn't good) to get to the app that I want, and then have to wait for the app to load. Hopefully Apple will eventually take a hint from it and build something directly into the interface.

My phone was only jailbroken for about a day and a half before it all started going to hell, and I had barely even done anything with the jailbreak yet. Cydia stopped working (it would crash on startup), apps slowed down and became less stable, and the Categories app was useless anyway. I restored my phone to a non-jailbroken state and haven't looked back since. Not worth the hassle.

[quote name='awp']I jailbroke then unjailbroke my phone after upgrading to the latest OS. Regretting it now, wish I had folders as I've run out of space. Really wish Apple would just add more pages in their next update. All they're doing is limiting sales.

Otherwise I really didn't care about custom backgrounds or emulators that didn't work very well anyway.[/QUOTE]

does anyone know why there is an app page limit...has apple ever given a reason...maybe the pages use processing power?

[quote name='caltab']does anyone know why there is an app page limit...has apple ever given a reason...maybe the pages use processing power?[/QUOTE]

It's probably just because allowing more pages would show just how weak their interface design really is. It's hard enough to remember where a particular app is within 11 pages of randomly scattered apps, could you imagine trying to find anything if you had, say, 25 pages?

[quote name='hollowfreak']Don't you find it a little ironic that you can't even copy and paste properly and you don't even know why? I'd say, from your coments at least, it's because you've jail"broken" your phone. Lol. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Only happens when I copy/paste from Appsniper. Shows up fine when I paste it. Just when I submit it. It has the $ signs. Must be an appsniper thing. Did the same thing a few days ago when I was using a non JB touch. So it's def not a JB issue.

The categories app has come a long way. It used to be slow, buggy and a memory hog. They have updated it since and works much faster.

Other than that. I don't know why you guys had so much trouble and slowness on your JB devices. I wont say never, but very rarely do I have any issues with my phone. There are definite more pros than cons. If your happy with your stock device then that's all that matters.

[quote name='107proof']If your happy with your stock device then that's all that matters.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that I'm happy with it, but unfortunately jailbreaking doesn't actually fix most of the problems that I have with it.

Honestly, I'm waiting to see what Apple releases with the next phone/OS. My current contract ends in July, right around the time those should be coming out, and if they don't fix some of the things that I have issues with I may be jumping ship to Android.

My iphone 3g is jailbroken and I seriously couldnt see myself owning one without it being that way. The quick texting by itself is worth being jailbroken for.

Back on topic....Tilt To Live is still crazy addictive and I have slipped to #20 on the high scores

Pandamania is great fun....level 48 or 49 is whipping my ass though

[quote name='caltab']does anyone know why there is an app page limit...has apple ever given a reason...maybe the pages use processing power?[/QUOTE]Due to memory/slowdown issues. It keeps all the icons pre-loaded in memory, so when you change pages, everything is there instantly. (I assume beyond what they allow, the device will begin having performance issues, even if minor at first.)

897774.png
Palm Heroes has dropped to 99 cents.

I have 16 pages of apps and all icons load fine and no memory issues at all. Only down fall is I have a hard time finding what I am looking for so I just use the search feature.

[quote name='blue ocarina']Thanks for the heads up on Palm Heroes, picked that up. Chop Chop Ninja is the freeappaday game today.[/QUOTE]
Was interested in Chop Chop Ninja during a recent 99 cent sale. Downloaded the lite version and deleted it pretty quickly. But for free I'll definitely give it a second chance. Speaking of .99 sales, both Guerrilla Bob and Tilt to Live are back down to 99 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back