iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
I dug my little time with Beatmaker. Still feel like there's a LOT I don't know. I basically just played with the pads, trying to get my beat to take without looping over itself. I'd put it above Korg if only because you can export your beats and do samples using the iPhone's mic.

Also really into Evade, though it's not free anymore (but I think it's $0.99 well spent). I think I'm on a score-based game kick, including XBLA indie game You Will Die.

I saw someone mention Dungeon Scroll. Can someone describe how it actually plays? The screenshots are anything but helpful. Worth $1.99?

There are indeed only 16 pads, but you can import your own custom beatpacks, so you can layer drum hits or create loops and load the completed wavs as a single pad. That's also where the clipboard function comes in handy. Plus each pad can be set to 16 levels (like an MPC), which can either be different pitches, velocity levels etc. (ie rather than waste several pads as different notes of the same sound, you just need one, which can be played as different notes in tune mode). Max bpm is 260.

Well, I did pick up Solomon's Keep, but so far I have to say that it's just another twin stick shooter, except now with much smaller areas to play in (it's divided up into small rooms.) So it goes like this. Go into a small room, monsters come at you and you shoot them. Open chest and get the gold. Go to next small room, shoot the monsters, open chest, get gold. Occasionally you "level up" and get to add a weapon or upgrade a weapon. Is there anything I'm missing?

[quote name='skynels']Just dropping a post to say I appreciate the deals in this thread, and not having to wade through PoS apps in appshopper thus saving me time...
To add some substance, I recommend Motocross Challenge ($2.99) just got an update that allows web multiplayer racing, good fun.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun game, and I just tried the multiplayer and was pleased to find that it is online. However, while the game does now offer calibration in the pause menu, you can't pause during online play and so you can't calibrate. Moreover, it always starts out with the whacked out off kilter calibration when I start the game up. I don't understand what's so hard about getting the calibration right. No other game I have ever played has calibration that starts out with you having to hold your iPhone tilted to the side.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Is there a game similar to Castle Crashers for the iPhone/iTouch ?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='mkernan']'A Quest of Knights Onrush' is sorta similar, but nowhere near as good.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a-quest-of-knights-onrush/id327080180?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Quest of Knights Onrush is free. A fully featured sequel is in the works.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/09/coming-soon-knights-rush-the-sequel-to-a-quest-of-knights-onrush/

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MpkbkeWug

[quote name='caltab']Chillingo's Monster Mayhem looks awesome and should be out any time now for 1.99. Beta testers are raving about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JpV8KfZAIw&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

This is out now. I've played it for about an hour and it is outstanding, some of the most fun I've had with a castle defense game. You defend the gate by using your finger as various weapons. You earn money for upgrades. There are different monster types that are weaker against different kinds of attacks. The presentation is excellent. I will be shocked if it's not a huge critical and commercial hit. Highly recommend this one. It also looks good and works well on the ipad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-mayhem/id369904028?mt=8

[quote name='anathema728']Don't worry, Quest of Knights Onrush is free. A fully featured sequel is in the works.
[/QUOTE]

The sequel sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Just tried Solomon's Keep, nice game, I like it, and at 99cents, most of these 0.99 games are great. I have probably spent overall about $40-60 now on iphone games, but nearly every one has been impressive for such a small price ever since I bought my first iPod Touch 1 month ago.

To all, keep posting those free games or game recommendations, I download about 95% of the free ones to at least try em and then delete, but I have found some great gems there, so THANKS to all who post games here.

For lovers of Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man, there's Treasure Grab (http://itunes.apple.com/app/treasure-grab/id315773541?mt=8). On sale now for .99.

"Treasure Grab is a fast-paced game of breaking, entering and stealing everything that has not been nailed down. And most of what has been!

Explore mansions, pick locks, trick guards, and grab everything of value - jewels, paintings, books, large statues, chairs... everything!

• Steal everything while staying one step ahead of the guards.
• Discover the thrills of stealing, sneaking, and lock picking.
• Use disguise, slowing down time, invisibility, and other tricks to bamboozle the guards and maximize the spoils.
• Your targets react to your actions - no two games are the same!
• Simple touchscreen controls, tailored for iPhone.
• Stunning graphics and detail."

Chop Sushi is another puzzler currently marked down from $2.99 to .99 (http://www.appshopper.com/games/chop-sushi).

"IT'S SUSHI MANIA - NOW WITH IMPROVED GRAPHICS!

Get caught up in sushi-matching mayhem with this innovative puzzler, destined to become an iPhone classic!

Sink your teeth into hours and hours of match-3 puzzle action as you conquer over 40 turn-based (non-timed) battles scattered to 15 unique and vibrant islands. Use the device's touch screen to literally pick up your chopsticks and swap sushi pieces over the colorful game board. No need to be an expert - these utensils are easy to pick up and play as they are taught in the simple, playable in-game tutorials!

Bring your appetite for adventure as you journey across beautiful islands, meeting new challengers and gathering secret Recipes that really spice up the battles. Create unique combinations, triggering insane combos such as the awesome WASABI BOMB and unleash their devastating effects on your opponent!

In the midst of battle, take a break every now and then and relax by going fishing or by solving the solo puzzle Challenges. The trickiest Challenges are guaranteed to bend the mind of even the most seasoned Sudoku-masters!"

Monster Mayhem is sweet, thanks for the heads up, Caltab!
Can anyone tell me if Cliffed XL is worth the $2? The guy who told me about it has been wrong before. :)

[quote name='demonchylde']Monster Mayhem is sweet, thanks for the heads up, Caltab!
Can anyone tell me if Cliffed XL is worth the $2? The guy who told me about it has been wrong before. :)[/QUOTE]

i didnt really like cliffed that much, but to be fair I didnt give it much of a chance. Gload you like Monster Mayhem, I am having a lot of fun with it.

Looks like most of the iDrum apps are $1 right now.

I might bite on the video game one; I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Cliffed is a game that I was not able to figure out the appeal of. It's an incredibly simple game that kept my attention for 5 minutes maximum. You move left. You move right. I think maybe you jumped sometimes - can't remember. And you dropped through gaps in the floor. After 3 or 4 attempts to get into it, I deleted it and have never looked back. And it really wasn't any more fun played online. Others love it though, so YMMV.

[quote name='DtotheP']Looks like most of the iDrum apps are $1 right now.

I might bite on the video game one; I'm a sucker for stuff like that.[/QUOTE]
Do you have any experience with their various genre flavors (Rock, Hip-Hop, etc.)? I was thinking about snagging the Rock one. I'm not a drummer or a sequence-fiend, though, I'm primarily a guitarist. I could always use some fresh loops for jamming, so it's got me curious. A few of the reviews have complained about the sound quality, however, so I don't know if it's worth the download. Thoughts?

[quote name='apathylad']Surviving High School is only $1, instead of $3 on iTunes. It's basically a choose-your-own visual novel. There's also a large amount of DLC for it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/surviving-high-school/id334095458?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Nice ... I'm in for that at $1 ... it's really kind of a stupid game but I found it somewhat addicting ... you know, the way you can sort of 1/2 watch 90210 or Gossip Girl when the gf is watching it and you're on the computer doing other stuff but you kind of look over and start paying more attention ... uh yeah ...

[quote name='etcrane']Nice ... I'm in for that at $1 ... it's really kind of a stupid game but I found it somewhat addicting ... you know, the way you can sort of 1/2 watch 90210 or Gossip Girl when the gf is watching it and you're on the computer doing other stuff but you kind of look over and start paying more attention ... uh yeah ...[/QUOTE]

I've been enjoying the game, even though the stories get a little silly. There's a weekly episode that you essentially 'rent' for free, and you can purchase them later. There's a sale for 20 episodes for $5 within the game.

I've found some of the humor to be funny/cheesy. There was a recent episode where you're some nerdy kid who is plotting revenge on his ex-girlfriend through an MMORPG called WarScrewdriver (get it? :p).

[quote name='Wiendog']@ Malik: I enjoyed Trundle as well. Did you pick up the paid version? I've only played the free one.[/QUOTE]

the free and paid versions are the same except that the paid version gets all future DLC for free

Anyone try Crusade of Destiny? 99c down from $2.99. Looks like a neat RPG, and has decent enough reviews.

Vampire Origins looks nice too, but reviews seem to indicate it's pretty damn short. Certainly not long enough for the original $7, but now it might be worth it at the sale price?

I enjoy Surviving High School's weekly content drops. It's dumb, but not bad, so it makes a nice playthrough.

I HIGHLY recommend using the guide at GameFAQs for it. It updates for every episode pretty fast. The guide will get you the "perfect" ending for a bonus scene every time, and that's better than replaying the damn episode which you can't skip through. I know the first time I played the DLC episodes, I kept getting stupid bad ends for no reason. Enjoy the real fun of the game with that FAQ just to make sure you don't mess up.

Also, BEST DLC ep so far is definitely the Winter Queen episode (not the prom queen megapack, but I have you to try that.) where you play the weaselly bitchy girl to try to charm your way enough to unseat the real bitchy ultra popular girl. It was a refreshing change of pace to play someone who was not necessarily heroic.

The developer of Space miner just released their 2nd game, ninjatown tree of doom for 1.99, a doodle jump type of game. Lots of good releases today.

So I bought Tiki Towers after trying out a few bridge building games. It is a fun game. It starts off easy but some of the last levels are hard. My only real complaints are that it is a little short and that it crashes from time to time. But for 0.99 I think it is worth it.

Chop Chop Tennis is out... Its not on sale, but thought someone might be interested.

749678.png

$2.99

Fun and intuitive tennis game for iPhone!
The creators of Chop Chop Ninja and Chop Chop Runner are back with Chop Chop Tennis : The only ninja-approved tennis game available!

Chop Chop Tennis is a unique action tennis game. You hit the ball by simply flicking your finger on the screen. Chop Chop is certainly the most frantic, intuitive and enjoyable tennis game ever created for iPhone/iPod Touch!

Play as one the 8 funny, cute, aggressive tennis experts and beat your opponents.

Are you up to the challenge?

FEATURES!
- 8 stylish cartoon characters (4 guys and 4 gals)
- 5 courts
- 3 training modes to improve your tennis skills
- 4 levels of difficulty (from easy to expert)
- Innovative gameplay
- Fast and frantic sport game
- Easy to play
- Colorful and cartoonish design
- Multiple play modes (practice, single, double, tournament…).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chop-chop-tennis/id368749678?mt=8

Fly Kiwi, Fly!

Nothing can stand between a Kiwi and his will to fly!
Help Kiwi fly around the world all the way from New Zealand to USA in this fantastic game for all ages!
Tilt your iPhone/iPod Touch to gain speed, use it to make awesome stunts, unlock awards and earn money. Buy gliders, springs and even a cannon to help Kiwi in his voyage across the globe. Get useful upgrades that will increase your chances of reaching the most ambitious goal: embracing the ultimate flying machine!
Fly Kiwi, Fly! will keep you hooked for hours on end trying to be the best air stuntman... or stuntbird!

Currently available for FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/fly-kiwi-fly)

[quote name='Dimsdale']Fly Kiwi, Fly!

Nothing can stand between a Kiwi and his will to fly!
Help Kiwi fly around the world all the way from New Zealand to USA in this fantastic game for all ages!
Tilt your iPhone/iPod Touch to gain speed, use it to make awesome stunts, unlock awards and earn money. Buy gliders, springs and even a cannon to help Kiwi in his voyage across the globe. Get useful upgrades that will increase your chances of reaching the most ambitious goal: embracing the ultimate flying machine!
Fly Kiwi, Fly! will keep you hooked for hours on end trying to be the best air stuntman... or stuntbird!

Currently available for FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/fly-kiwi-fly)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up!

Busy Harbor - Looks similar to Blue Block.... Free for now..
678687.png

Busy Harbor is a very addictive puzzle game.

The objective of the game is to get the red yacht out of the busy harbor. Sound simple, but incredible challenging at the difficult level.

The game contains 5000 levels, guarantee hours of entertainment.

3 Themes included:
- Harbor
- Ice block
- Plain block

http://appshopper.com/games/busy-harbor

Just dropped $19 on these apps:

Vampire Origins
Hook Champ
Canabalt
Dark Void Zero
Plants Vs Zombies
Tilt to Live
Hysteria Project

Gosh DAMMIT I went in on these apps tonight. I really need to slow my ass down. But I've had my eye on these for a while. So it was totally worth it. I'm gonna be so pissed when they go on sale.

Recent purchases within the last 15 days.

Super 7 $0.99
Fruit Ninja $0.99
Freaking Inkies $0.99
Space Miner $0.99
Monsters against aliens $0.99
Guerrilla Bob $0.99
Soosiz $0.99

7 bucks, 7 Very good games!!!

Emblem

407546.png

★★★★★
AN ENTIRELY NEW KIND OF GAME
★★★★★

★★★★★
FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
★★★★★

"Emblem presents a form of a puzzle game that has sadly not yet been seen on the iPhone before--or really anywhere else--and it's so incredible, it's genius."
- Examiner.com

http://appshopper.com/games/emblem

I have been playing the game " Blackout " and it is a decent game . You have to connect same-colored jewels together, and doing that makes the power of the cities turn back on. You should check it out :D

I ALSO GOT MY NEW HOUSING :D :D :D :D CLICK SPOILER BUTTON :bomb:
picture.php

[quote name='107proof']Emblem

407546.png

★★★★★
AN ENTIRELY NEW KIND OF GAME
★★★★★

★★★★★
FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
★★★★★
[/QUOTE]

Love all the 5 stars in the developer notes, but the actual review is only 3.5 stars. :lol:

bread's done
Back