iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay for the games you play! The creeps is easily worth paying for. Some games are not worth a nickel. But I agree support the developers. Especially the games you enjoy.

Hey all Valet Hero (line drawing car parking game) is on sale now for .99 cents for the next week. Check it out.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/valet-hero/id351543053?mt=8

[quote name='107proof']Pay for the games you play! The creeps is easily worth paying for. Some games are not worth a nickel. But I agree support the developers. Especially the games you enjoy.[/QUOTE]
Aaaack! I've succumbed to peer pressure and actually spent money on a blind buy. That said, I'm really glad I bit on "The Creeps!" It's a fun variation on the tower defense theme. Thanks for the heads up!

Apple has released iPhone 3GS a few days ago, to compare with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS has more new functions such as built-in video camera with editing, voice control, improved performace, etc. When you havd an iPone on your hand, do you want to be special in crowd? Do you want to own your different ringtones?

[quote name='londonjackk']Apple has released iPhone 3GS a few days ago, to compare with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS has more new functions such as built-in video camera with editing, voice control, improved performace, etc. When you havd an iPone on your hand, do you want to be special in crowd? Do you want to own your different ringtones?[/QUOTE]

Fail spam is fail...

Getting Twin Blades even though the screenshots look pretty awful (I can hardly tell what is in them - they are a mess). Hopefully it looks better in motion. Having OpenFeint is a plus.

[quote name='rew']Hey all Valet Hero (line drawing car parking game) is on sale now for .99 cents for the next week. Check it out.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/valet-hero/id351543053?mt=8[/QUOTE]

I love the line drawing type games so I tried this out at lunch today. Pretty fun and looks like it has plenty of replayability.

I'll send a good review your way later tonight. Nice work!

[quote name='drstan00']I love the line drawing type games so I tried this out at lunch today. Pretty fun and looks like it has plenty of replayability.

I'll send a good review your way later tonight. Nice work![/QUOTE]

Thanks much, glad you're enjoying it!

I added links to the original post for iPad news & specs. I haven't updated the thread's title since iPad has yet to be released and apps aren't yet being sold for it to buy in advance. If there's a consensus, I can make the change.

[quote name='craven_fiend']How deep does it go?[/QUOTE]

Last I played, the final final level is 36. Very hard boss, but easy once you know how to trick him.

[quote name='tenchim86']Last I played, the final final level is 36. Very hard boss, but easy once you know how to trick him.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be kind of sad when I beat it. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, definitely my favorite iPod game ever. Still, I've got like 24 levels to go, so it'll be a while.

Parachute Ninja came out today for .99, I'm loving it and highly recommend it, its kind of a doodle jump style of game, but not non stop. Very very fun.

Another good game that's free is falldown, I used to play a version of this on my old TI 82 calculator waay back in the day.

anyone have any tips for beating the last boss on the 36th floor in Sword & Poker?

i got him down to around 125hp, then he used some move that negated my shield..so i died :/

[quote name='arcane93']Has anyone tried [Ghosts n Goblins]? I'm tempted to grab it, but I'm wondering how well it would really work with the touch controls.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up and felt the normal regret for paying for a game with poor controls. Your thumbs block half the screen.

This game (SNES version) gets stupid hard with precise jumps required. I imagine it'll get impossible on the iphone. Capcom has your back though. They'll sell you infinite lives for $1. Oh, the benevolence.

[quote name='jcp42877']anyone have any tips for beating the last boss on the 36th floor in Sword & Poker?

i got him down to around 125hp, then he used some move that negated my shield..so i died :/[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the game in a while after beating it, but get the best sword possible (paralyze with 4 of a kind I think) and equip the WORST shield possible. Use your magic power (chaos?) and break his shield. He'll take your shield after. Begin to get 4 of a kinds and paralyze him. After that, he should be easy to finish off. Good luck.

[quote name='jcp42877']anyone have any tips for beating the last boss on the 36th floor in Sword & Poker?

i got him down to around 125hp, then he used some move that negated my shield..so i died :/[/QUOTE]
Get a weapon that does Paralyze. The Kotetsu is great since you probably wont be able to afford Excalibur.
Take a shield that doesnt block Paralyze.
Take Chaos and Copy (Chaos) for spells.
Opening move cast chaos, and try to not leave him set up for a big hand.
He should swap shields on his turn, then you just paralyze him over and over.

Morning Star will work, but the Kotetsu is great as Straights and Straight Flushes are easy to pull off with Chaos.

[quote name='MrSquishy']I picked it up and felt the normal regret for paying for a game with poor controls. Your thumbs block half the screen.

This game (SNES version) gets stupid hard with precise jumps required. I imagine it'll get impossible on the iphone. Capcom has your back though. They'll sell you infinite lives for $1. Oh, the benevolence.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info -- saves me a dollar that I probably would have regretted spending.

So Match Magic is clearly a kids game, is it just me or do the leaves on the 4th screenshot look like pot? :lol:

edit: editing's a pita on the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anathema728']off topic; best screen protector? with regards to sensitivity and clarity?[/QUOTE]I've always been a fan of the Zagg InvisibleShield, scratch-proof and includes a Lifetime Warranty.

They originally used the InvisibleShields on Military Helicopter blades or something.

[quote name='donburns99']I've always been a fan of the Zagg InvisibleShield, scratch-proof and includes a Lifetime Warranty.[/QUOTE]

This. You pay for it once and all you have to do is pay for the shipping for the replacements for life. Good deal even though it costs a little more up front. You can request a warranty replacement for whatever reason and they send it to you first so that you arent without protection when you send the old one back.

[quote name='Malik112099']This. You pay for it once and all you have to do is pay for the shipping for the replacements for life. Good deal even though it costs a little more up front. You can request a warranty replacement for whatever reason and they send it to you first so that you arent without protection when you send the old one back.[/QUOTE]

As a counter-point to the scratch proofness of InvisibleShields, they leave a different feel and slightly different look to the screen. So you never need a new one, but I didn't like how they made my iPod feel and look. The Crystal screen protector will take scratches (but not many) and protects the screen and is practically invisible. So you replace it to get it back to brand new. Also, it's easier to get a case on with one, since it doesn't go on the back as well. But different strokes for different folks.

I use to use one of those shields, can't remember the brand but it's popular, and now I don't. You get glare that isn't there otherwise and smudges like crazy - the anti-smudge coating on the 3GS works pretty well and using one of those shields obviously negates its effectiveness. The glass screen is quite tough anyway. It's pretty dang hard to scratch it. When iPods had plastic screens it was an issue, now I think such screen shields are pretty much completely unnecessary and have no real benefit.

EDIT: and to add to that, my 3GS has had some hard knocks including a rather spectacular drop on an ice rink, and the screen is completely scratch free still.

My iphone screen is naked. Just a cheap silicon case to protect from drops. No scratches for the 3 months I've had it. The screen is glass. So it's safe from most things, like keys. Of course if you got some course sand in your pocket you'd be fucked.

I've gotten some deep scratches on my iPod Touch 1st gen. Not sure how since I generally took care of it, but my iPhone never goes without a scratch protector on the front. It's quite resilient but it can happen.

[quote name='Felder71']Big fan of Power Support Crystal Film. You won't even know it's there. I replace mine every 3-4 months, as they do take scratches after a while. Only thing is you have to get it from the Apple Store.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS505LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY[/QUOTE]

I full-on agree. Most recent has been on since
June and looks day one fresh. I give a little wipe
with a barely moist towel here and there and
it always looks brandy new and super resilient.

[quote name='mailman27']Twin Blades is free today:

http://appshopper.com/games/twin-blades[/QUOTE]

I gave twin blades a shot, and this game is fundamentally broken. Beatiful art and graphics. But you can just hop to the end of just about every stage. Not worth the time to download it. This is the worst gameplay I've ever seen in an iphone game.

[quote name='Felder71']Also, it's easier to get a case on with one, since it doesn't go on the back as well. But different strokes for different folks.[/QUOTE]I completely forgot that the Zagg Shields even had a back until you mentioned it. While they do supply it, putting one on the backside is optional. They come as separate pieces, so I only have the shield on the screen.

[quote name='Felder71']Also, it's easier to get a case on with one, since it doesn't go on the back as well.[/QUOTE]

You can order the front seperate from the back and vice versa.

Also, the front coverage for the Zagg is the same price as the film sold on the Apple store except that Zagg gives you a lifetime warranty. I have recieved 3 warranty replacements already from Zagg without a problem.

Just a heads up guys that Build-a-lot on Android devices is on sale for $1.99 for a limited time. (Regularly $4.99).

[quote name='Malik112099']I finally beat Sword & Poker! I am free! FREEE!!!!![/QUOTE]

LOL... to all CAG peep, don't get this game even if it's free... it may cost a dollar but it will cost you your soul.

Seriously, I still can't believe how addicting that game was. I'm hoping that they would add an online multiplayer mode... then the addiction can start all over again.

Don't use the Chaos card (unless late in the round when you have more health than the boss). I mixed in big attack with 2 pairs or any type of straight that rejuvenates my own health. It didn't matter even if he blocks the Paralyze attack. I usually have plenty left by the end.

The "low" shield strategy sounds great too but I'm not sure how reliable is the shield swap.

bread's done
Back