iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hbomb']Don't use the Chaos card (unless late in the round when you have more health than the boss). I mixed in big attack with 2 pairs or any type of straight that rejuvenates my own health. It didn't matter even if he blocks the Paralyze attack. I usually have plenty left by the end.

The "low" shield strategy sounds great too but I'm not sure how reliable is the shield swap.[/QUOTE]

The shield swap is very reliable. By using chaos and breaking his shield, he will not use chaos and will use shield exchange instead. It works wonderfully. I thought his shield protected against restore? Again, I could be wrong since I haven't played in a while.

EDIT: Just tried out parachute ninja. Seems like an interesting game, so I think I'll be buying it. Basically, you sling shot a ninja ball through the levels while collecting fireflies. At least that's what the first level was.

Well, finally finished Sword & Poker earlier this morn at work (beat the final boss when i only had 13hp remaining! hah)

anyways...im in need of a good game to delve time into now. I've been playing the Lite version for CoD Zombies and ive found it to be lots of fun.

Considering that or GTA Chinatown...any suggestions?

Looking for a quality, priced game :)

[quote name='jcp42877']Well, finally finished Sword & Poker earlier this morn at work (beat the final boss when i only had 13hp remaining! hah)

anyways...im in need of a good game to delve time into now. I've been playing the Lite version for CoD Zombies and ive found it to be lots of fun.

Considering that or GTA Chinatown...any suggestions?

Looking for a quality, priced game :)[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Need For Speed Shift if you are into Racers....Its just a suggestion

[quote name='Felder71']Big fan of Power Support Crystal Film. You won't even know it's there. I replace mine every 3-4 months, as they do take scratches after a while. Only thing is you have to get it from the Apple Store.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS505LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY[/QUOTE]

I'll vouch for the anti-glare one. I've had it on my iPhone 2G for 2.5 years and haven't replaced it yet. There aren't any scratches on it either. The only thing "wrong" with it now is that it's starting to peel just a little bit from the corners. I guess normal wear-and-tear will do that.

[quote name='Owen']Supposedly the Mass Effect comic book will be free tomorrow for the first 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to "Mass Effect:Redemption", it's in the App Store now, and it is indeed free. Thanks!

[quote name='EvilIA']I don't know when it changed but sword & poker is now $3.99 in the app store[/QUOTE]

Glad I got it at $.99, but still worth it at $4. Easily.

[quote name='Felder71']Glad I got it at $.99, but still worth it at $4. Easily.[/QUOTE]

YES most definately XD ....but let me worn you ALL ....IT VERY VERY VERY ADDICTING

[quote name='jcp42877']Well, finally finished Sword & Poker earlier this morn at work (beat the final boss when i only had 13hp remaining! hah)

...[/QUOTE]

I too finally broke the chains of Swords and Poker. I can finally move on to another game. I had to grind for a bit to get the Excalibur, but it was worth it. The final boss didn't give me much trouble. What a solid game. I sunk hours upon hours into it.

Twistum is currently free. Looks pretty polished. Reminds me of Frootrees (at least the screenshots do). Also, for those who are feeling burned by Ghosts 'n Goblins, I bought Ghosts and Zombies for .99 and I was pleasantly surprised. Tilt to move and touch to shoot. Pretty intuitive. Good cartoony graphics and enjoyable music as well. Certainly not the most difficult side-scrolling shooter around, but at least my thumbs don't get in the way of the action, either.

[quote name='LuisRM']I too finally broke the chains of Swords and Poker. I can finally move on to another game. I had to grind for a bit to get the Excalibur, but it was worth it. The final boss didn't give me much trouble. What a solid game. I sunk hours upon hours into it.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...WELL worth the $0.99 I paid. Probably the most played game I've had on my iTouch. Need more games like this one! (not that others aren't...but a lot of games just don;t appeal to me)

[quote name='hollowfreak']1112 Episode 01 dropped from $5 to free, the artwork looks decent. I can't try it out atm, not on wifi.
http://appshopper.com/games/1112-episode-01[/QUOTE]

071041_4.jpg

JohnnyDepp_Mayer_4341135.jpg

Johnny Depp's lawyers should be suing someone right about... now.

Parachute Ninja is quite fun and has an intro price of 99 cents. I think it's worth it. It's sort of like an Angry Birds platformer. Kind of. Well, just because you shoot your parachute ninja with a slingshot. Add to that the ability to float down on a parachute and control your direction with tilting. Good buy at this price.

http://appshopper.com/games/parachute-ninja

Thanks a lot for the heads up on Crayon Physics Deluxe. I love the PC version and I've been waiting for a sale on the iPhone version for a while now.

[quote name='Hostile']Crayon Physics Deluxe is now on sale for $1.

How does it compare to the PC version?[/QUOTE]Missed the sale for the PC version, so I'll probably grab this since I liked the demo on the computer. It's been out for just over a year, and this appears to be the first time it has dropped from $5. Thanks for the post.

[quote name='Kush']Thanks a lot for the heads up on Crayon Physics Deluxe. I love the PC version and I've been waiting for a sale on the iPhone version for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Yes! thank you, indeed. I've been waiting for this price drop.

[quote name='hollowfreak']1112 Episode 01 dropped from $5 to free, the artwork looks decent. I can't try it out atm, not on wifi.
http://appshopper.com/games/1112-episode-01[/QUOTE]

The game is okay and you can't beat that price but the Devs really dropped the ball as episode 2 was supposed to be out last February. The US version had some problems like the last few lines of text being cut off during a few conversations as there was no scroll bar for the conversations so whoever did the English translation just wasn't aware plus the translator almost did a direct translation at times so some of the text sounds awkward. When this was originally released, the Devs got found out that this was a port of a game they did for Windows Mobile devices under a new name and paint job with some touch features so that could be another reason they just never bothered finishing the story.

Just bought an Iphone 3gs today, previously had a blackberry bold. Trying to read through this whole post, but its pretty overwhelming. Are there any current must buy games out right now that are .99? I'm asking this because of all the posted price and how fast price changes go.

[quote name='llcooljunr']Just bought an Iphone 3gs today, previously had a blackberry bold. Trying to read through this whole post, but its pretty overwhelming. Are there any current must buy games out right now that are .99? I'm asking this because of all the posted price and how fast price changes go.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend bitflip for $.99, there's a lite version too. The problem is that since the prices fluctuate those of us who have already purchased something at $.99 no longer track to see if the price has stayed the same. My best advice is to stay tuned to the thread for sales. There's an overwelming number of games you'll soon find out.

[quote name='llcooljunr']Just bought an Iphone 3gs today, previously had a blackberry bold. Trying to read through this whole post, but its pretty overwhelming. Are there any current must buy games out right now that are .99? I'm asking this because of all the posted price and how fast price changes go.[/QUOTE]

I'll reiterate that Parachute Ninja is quite good and has an intro price of 99 cents. The more I play it the more I like it. Great game!

http://appshopper.com/games/parachute-ninja

A list of worthwhile 99 cent or less games could get quite lengthy, but here's some more that I like:

Flight Control
Trenches
Tiki Towers
Crazy Penguin Catapult 1, 2 and Crazy Penguin Christmas
iBomber (free)
Depict (free)

EDIT: also thanks to whomever for the heads up on Crayon Physics Deluxe on sale for 99 cents. I haven't tried it yet, but have downloaded it. Thanks!

[quote name='llcooljunr']Good looks on those apps. I'm currently at work posting from the restroom so I'll check those out when I get home.[/QUOTE]

TMI. Just make sure you wash your hands and sanitize your iphone.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Tap Farm just got IMO a HUGE update that has fixed nearly EVERYTHING that kept it from being an AMAZING game .[/QUOTE]Thanks, can't go wrong with Free.

I second on parachute ninja. It's a great $.99 buy! Don't listen to the doodle jump comparison. It's much more than DJ. DJ is a good addictive game but it's still a 1-trick pony... Albeit a great trick but parachute ninja has quite a few innovative gameplay elements and I barely started the game. I can envision a pretty deep gameplay as the game progresses. Highly recommended for $.99 even for the first 30 minutes of play.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Tap Farm just got IMO a HUGE update that has fixed nearly EVERYTHING that kept it from being an AMAZING game .[/QUOTE]

Is it a Farmville clone where you have to have real life neighbors and all the cool stuff requires you to use real cash to buy?

[quote name='mkernan']The freeappaday.com is 'Mouse About':

http://freeappaday.com/app.php?day=05&month=02

It looks lame to me, but it seems to have good ratings.[/QUOTE]

just picked it up, this is a pretty fun pick up and play puzzler, I've never played a puzzler quite like it, you have to collect all the food items on the screen without going of the screen. You tell the mouse which way to go and it wont stop unless it hits something. It's hard to explain, but a nice change up from all the match 3 puzzlers, I def recommend checking it out of you like the genre.

edit: lion pride is also free today and is a decent line drawing game.

Crayon Physics Deluxe is pretty cool. It reminds me of the Drawn to Life and Scribblenauts titles my kids play. For under a buck, I'd say it's a steal. I also decided to grab a copy of Parachute Ninja. Lotsa blind buys lately. Hopefully, it will be another pleasant surprise. You guys are good that way. Thanks for all the recommendations!

well I will like to buy some of them
But right now I am preparing to buy a the latest version of Ipod touch.
Then will go for these.
:)

[quote name='imfast5005']well I will like to buy some of them
But right now I am preparing to buy a the latest version of Ipod touch.
Then will go for these.
:)[/QUOTE]

Just a friendly word of advice: don't let the fact that you don't own an iPod keep you from buying the really good $0.99 or free games. You'll have a handful of games already waiting when you buy the iPod. These prices fluctuate so often that you might not want to pass up a $1 game now as it could be $3 or $4 when you get an iPod. For example, I bought Peggle for a $1 a month before I bought my first iPhone. It didn't go on sale again for months after that. Just sayin'.

i highly recommend Bird Strike for 1.99 for anyone who likes Doodle Jump, Parachute Ninja, Angry Bird type games. Its a lot like doodle jump, but the levels are fixed and you get points by collecting things as you rocket up into the air. Its got leader boards and achievements. The biggest negative is its only 9 levels and no endless mode, but the developer says they're almost done with endless mode and more levels are on the way. This game hasn't seemed to have gotten a lot of attention, but I really enjoy it.

[quote name='mkernan']Just a friendly word of advice: don't let the fact that you don't own an iPod keep you from buying the really good $0.99 or free games.These prices fluctuate so often that you might not want to pass up a $1 game now as it could be $3 or $4 when you get an iPod[/QUOTE]

truth, needs to be added to OP, maybe etched in stone

well, there was a Lite version that went up last night and it said specifically that it wouldnt work on the iTouch when I tried to download it and only on a iphone.
5.gif

IMG%5d

bread's done
Back