iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars just dropped from $9.99 to $6.99 until Sunday, February 14

DOH! Too late. And I even searched this page before posting!

[quote name='mailman27']Is Katamari worth 2.99?[/QUOTE]
I picked it up a while ago and I enjoy it ...and I've only ever been a moderate fan of the console versions.

There's just something satisfying about Crush the Castle's physics. Is there any other game that allows you to murder with physics in such a joyful way as CtC? Iphone OR PC.

Also, when new good stuff like Across Age comes out, it's a total pain having to remember to keep checking to see if BargainBin knows they exist so that I can actually add them to BB at some point. That's my main "To Do" list for buying Iphone games.

[quote name='gunm']GTA Chinatown Wars goes on sale for $6.99 tomorrow through Valentine's Day. $9.99 was already pretty cheap considering what this game retailed for on other platforms.[/QUOTE]

AWWWWWW, Chinatown Wars doesn't work on the 1st Gen Ipod Touch, GARBAGE!!!!!! Apple screwing me once again!!!!! Oh well!!!!!!:cry:

Angry Birds also just got an update with a whole new set of levels and Crystal integration. The new levels are great, but far I'm not impressed with Crystal - when I first ran the updated version it started reeling off achievements I'd completed due to having already completed world 1, but once I'd created an account in Crystal, I had no achievements collected. Anyway, it seems not to offer much if anything in comparison to OpenFeint, so I wish they'd just used OpenFeint.

For $6.99 I'm going to have to pick up GTA:CW even though I've played through it on the DS. Great game!

[quote name='mkernan']In addition to GTA dropping to $6.99, Broken Sword: Director's Cut has dropped from $6.99 to $4.99 this morning.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/broken-sword-directors-cut/id350353259?mt=8[/QUOTE]

damn i just bought BS: Director's Cut like 3 days ago for full price...oh well, i guess i can make up for it by buying GTA CW at a discounted price.

so what's the deal, a game won't really get a decent price drop, or a price drop at all, until it falls out of the top 50 apps? I want CoD zombies but im not paying $10

[quote name='tenchim86']If you're looking for a battery to charge up your ipod touch or iphone, I recommend this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=5480&seq=1&format=2

Not sure how long until the daily deal expires, but this is usually $15.xx. Great battery if you need one.[/QUOTE]

I looked in to this actually, but after reading the not-so-good reviews all around from many different websites, I went with the Just Mobile Gum Pro.

http://www.just-mobileonline.com/products_chargerseries_9.html.

$60 but it charges the iphone 2.5x~3x fully and also charges other USB devices (PSP etc.) because ouf the USB out! Great reviews on amazon (4.5star/5 after 28 reviews).

[quote name='RollingSkull']OKAY SON

HERE IS THE LINE

AND YOU SON ARE JUST WAY THE HELL SO FAR OVER THERE BEYOND THE LINE YOU FORGOT WHAT THE LINE LOOKED LIKE.

The VERY next sentence out of your mouth better be "But I've never played Oath in Felghana or Ark of Napishtim" or you and I are gonna go outside and throw down.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/RollingSkull/1222039347484.jpg This post in image form.[/QUOTE]

Heh, sorry I offended. I reviewed Ark back in the day; found it an okay game in the style of Alumdra, Beyond Oasis, etc. Not really a Ys game, per se. I'll look up this Oath game which you speak.

A couple of additional freebies for today: Monster Kill and SteamPunk Hockey. I'll also second the recommendation for The Creeps! Really fun tower defense game that's well worth a buck.

[quote name='willc23']Plants vs. Zombies announced at $2.99 on PopCap's Twitter feed.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Just picked up a $15 iTunes card thinking it would cost around $8-10 but $3? :applause: popcap.

[quote name='crunchewy']when I first ran the updated version it started reeling off achievements I'd completed due to having already completed world 1, but once I'd created an account in Crystal, I had no achievements collected. [/QUOTE]

Ditto. Thankfully I hadn't played very much of the game, so I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Only had 10-15 levels to get back through, but pretty annoying nonetheless.

[quote name='willc23']Plants vs. Zombies announced at $2.99 on PopCap's Twitter feed.[/QUOTE]

ign has a review up...sadly its missing survivor, mini games and puzzle mode, but they were very positive at what was included. Even with the omissions I'm really looking forward to this one.

I've been playing dictator defense today which you can get for .99 or try the free version, its a pretty decent tower defense in the style of PvZ, I'd say it's better then pigs vs. wolves.

Never played Plants Vs Zombies, so I'm excited for the iPhone release next week. $2.99 is a refreshingly low price for a high profile game!

EDIT: I think I'll download Doom II RPG at $3.99 based on the IGN review and how much I like Wolfenstein RPG (which I still haven't beaten).

Paperboy classic is $.99. I didn't even know this existed! I still wouldn't buy it but it's cool to see older games like this being ported.

[quote name='Hostile']There really needs to be more turn-based JRPGs on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Are there any? I've played nothing but Action-RPGs, and haven't been that impressed all around.

One turn based JRPG I've been playing is Elven Chronicles. It's okay. Tons of fetch quests. "Go kill 5 skeletons and come back for your reward!" stuff over and over. But you can hold it in one hand and play with just your thumb. I play it when I walk my dog in the evenings. It is only 99 cents right now.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Heh, sorry I offended. I reviewed Ark back in the day; found it an okay game in the style of Alumdra, Beyond Oasis, etc. Not really a Ys game, per se. I'll look up this Oath game which you speak.[/QUOTE]
Ark is very much like Oath (At least it seemed that way, with the 30 minutes I dumped in Ark and two playthroughs in Oath) so if you don't like Ark you probably won't like Oath.

That said, I thought Oath was phenomenal and worlds better than Ys Book 1 and 2.

AND DAMN RIGHT YOU SHOULD APOLOGIZE FOR HAVING OPINIONS DIFFERENT FROM MY OWN

[quote name='Hostile']There really needs to be more turn-based JRPGs on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the exact same thing since I got my iPhone. It is the perfect platform for that style of game. Here is to hoping that Final Fantasy I and II get released soon.

I enjoyed Vay. It's a very old-school JRPG (it's a port of a Sega CD game), but pretty good if you like that type of thing.

http://appshopper.com/games/vay

I was really hoping the publisher would do more conversions like it, but nothing so far.

[quote name='arcane93']I enjoyed Vay. It's a very old-school JRPG (it's a port of a Sega CD game), but pretty good if you like that type of thing.

http://appshopper.com/games/vay

I was really hoping the publisher would do more conversions like it, but nothing so far.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, that's a pretty shoddy conversion...

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Palm Heroes for $1. Used to be $10. Good for HOMM fans.[/QUOTE]

fucking sold. My wife and I play HOMM3 to this day and we've dreamed of a mobile version of it. She's already addicted to The Creeps. If she picks up this one, I might have to get another iPod Touch just for her!!

[quote name='tenchim86']Really enjoying Plants vs Zombies for the iPhone. It has achievements, adventure mode, and quick play. Great port from the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Its out?!?

Just checked the US store for Plants vs. Zombies - not there.

So, I know the game came out ages ago, but does anyone have a fix for the Tokyo 3-6 game crash in NFS Shift? I think I'd like to finish that game now that I've completed the first 27 levels of Sword & Poker (I'll go back to the game, but I sort of feel like level grinding, just not right now).

bread's done
Back