iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doodofdoods']If you're looking for more options at RPG, I've been looking at the following games

Puzzle RPG's

Devil Invasion
...[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried this? I can't find anyone who vouches one way or another on this game.

Astro ranch.. A mixture of Harvest Moon ,FarmVille, and animals crossing!

Tag games just submitted it to apple and should be avaible tonight or tomorrow!

All the reviews love it..

Check it out!

astroranch.com

Interview with Tag games president: http://www.gamesuncovered.com/features/interviewed-paul-farley-on-astro-ranch

review: http://nodpad.com/2010/02/21/hands-...es/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It will cost 2.99 at first then eventually raise up to 4.99.

This game has a ton of features and has much to do.

One last thing Tag games are responsible developers.. They actually read the reviews and upgrade it.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Astro ranch.. A mixture of Harvest Moon ,FarmVille, and animals crossing!

Tag games just submitted it to apple and should be avaible tonight or tomorrow!

All the reviews love it..

Check it out!

astroranch.com

Interview with Tag games president: http://www.gamesuncovered.com/features/interviewed-paul-farley-on-astro-ranch

review: http://nodpad.com/2010/02/21/hands-...es/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It will cost 2.99 at first then eventually raise up to 4.99.

This game has a ton of features and has much to do.

One last thing Tag games are responsible developers.. They actually read the reviews and upgrade it.[/QUOTE]

HOLY cow you should be in marketing/advertising you actually made me want to buy this app and I have absolutely no idea what harvest moon or the other game is . Goodjob

P.S.
Thanks for making me spend $2.99 tomorrow lol

[quote name='Dimsdale']For those who care, the full (free) version of Pop-a-Tronic is finally back up.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up. Looked pretty good and I was pretty disappointed the other day to find out Apple's policy prevented it from being free. Just downloaded it and played a round, pretty enjoyable match 3 game.

[quote name='mis0']I'd like to hear some recommendations for some "must have" iTouch games.

Decided to make my 2nd gen iTouch my portable gaming gadget of choice. Upgrading the software to 3.0 (finally) and am willing to throw down some actual cash for some higher quality games. Budget limit is $3 per game.

Mainly interested in some pick up and play games and some full length RPGs. Currently have my eyes set on:

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Would love to hear some comments on the above three games and of course, your personal recommendations.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm gonna keep giving praise for Angry Birds and The Creeps. 2 games that I keep going back to.

[quote name='doodofdoods']If you're looking for more options at RPG, I've been looking at the following games

RPGS
Hybrid Eternal Whisper
Guardian Soul
Caster
Vay
Blade Master Prelude to Destruction
Doom II RPG
Elven Chronicles
Dragon Sword RPG
Crusade of Destiny
The Quest Gold
Dungeons & Such

Strategy RPG
Mecho Wars
Rebirth of Fortune
Rogue Planet
Battle for Wesnoth
Reign of Swords

Rogue-likes

Rogue Touch
The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures
Cavern
Sword of Fargoal

Puzzle RPG's

Aurora Feint II Arena Daemons
Devil Invasion
Samurai Puzzle Battle GOTY

Hybrid RPG's
Sword N Poker-poker rpg
Space Miner-space shooter rpg
Soul Card Master- card rpg
Orions: Legend Of Wizards-card rpg
Dungeon Scroll-word rpg[/QUOTE]

Any of these RPGs must haves? I'm looking into getting into an RPG.

[quote name='llcooljunr']Any of these RPGs must haves? I'm looking into getting into an RPG.[/QUOTE]

sword n poker and space miner are the only ones I've seen highly recommended on these boards.

IGN gave some solid reviews to some of these RPG's, like Zenonia, Wolfenstein RPG, Chop Sushi!, and Hybrid Eternal Whisper.

Rebirth of Fortune looks like a solid FF Tactics clone to me, although it's more strategy than it is rpg from what I've read about it.

I'm sorry but Space Miner is awful ... played it for 1/2 an hour tonight and the gameplay is solid but I really really hate the whole hicks in space deal and the music makes me feel like I just popped in Deliverance. I'm going to go against the flow here and say save your money and pick up Plants vs. Zombies. I'm sure there's decent gameplay buried in amongst the hyucking and terrible character art, and I see the potential of upgrading the ship ... but the story part of this 'rpg' is beyond awful. But then ... I hated Firefly too ... So I have my flame shield ready.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm sorry but Space Miner is awful ... played it for 1/2 an hour tonight and the gameplay is solid but I really really hate the whole hicks in space deal and the music makes me feel like I just popped in Deliverance. I'm going to go against the flow here and say save your money and pick up Plants vs. Zombies. I'm sure there's decent gameplay buried in amongst the hyucking and terrible character art, and I see the potential of upgrading the ship ... but the story part of this 'rpg' is beyond awful. But then ... I hated Firefly too ... So I have my flame shield ready.[/QUOTE]

your entitled to your opinion, but most people actually like the story and presentation...personally, I could care less about the story- the game play is what I care about and its top notch, especially for 1.99...you are def. in the minority on this one, you are the first person I've seen on several forums to dislike the game...you've only played it half an hour which is far too soon to judge this game- the game really changes as you get better equipment/ships.

freeappaday.com app is not a game today, its 'FastMall' (which I've heard good things about). The crappy thing is that according appshopper.com, its been free since dec. 7th.

...and pop-a-tronic (already mentioned) is listed as the OpenFeint freegameoftheday.com game.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm sorry but Space Miner is awful ... played it for 1/2 an hour tonight and the gameplay is solid but I really really hate the whole hicks in space deal and the music makes me feel like I just popped in Deliverance. I'm going to go against the flow here and say save your money and pick up Plants vs. Zombies. I'm sure there's decent gameplay buried in amongst the hyucking and terrible character art, and I see the potential of upgrading the ship ... but the story part of this 'rpg' is beyond awful. But then ... I hated Firefly too ... So I have my flame shield ready.[/QUOTE]
You may not like it but I think its five star rating on itunes and generally stellar reviews across the board puts you in the minority on this one. I say get both this and plants vs zombies. Both are terrific games.

If you're on the fence about Plants vs. Zombie or just don't have any idea what it is, yesterday's episode of App Judgment reviewed it:

http://revision3.com/appjudgment/ip_eileen_plantszombies

If you've never heard of app judgment:
"With hundreds of apps to choose from for your iPhone, Android or whatever smartphone you may have, how do know what's worth the download? AppJudgment is your daily source for mobile phone app reviews and previews!"

They rarely review games, but its a decent show for learning about new apps.

Also, check out 'Colorbind'. I haven't played it yet, but I heard it mentioned on last night's episode of CO-OP when they were asked what indie iPhone games they'd been playing. The iTunes Store reviews seems really high and its an introductory price of $1 ("for one week only", which would imply that the price goes up tomorrow). I think I might pick it up.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colorbind/id356126423?mt=8

Just noticed there's a lite version too. Just make sure you buy it today if you like the lite version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colorbind-lite/id356127196?mt=8

1/2 an hour is enough time for me to know I like other games besides Miner far more on my iPhone. Like I said, the game mechanics seem solid but I think the choice of music and characterization is annoying as hell. Every time I return to the station I feel like I'm about to watch an episode of Roseanne (not my ideal feeling while playing a game). Plus I don't put much value in the iTunes reviews, as there have been several truly awful games I've picked up that have had 4 and 5 star reviews. This isn't the worst game I've played by far, but I just find certain aspects of it incredibly grating and wish I'd paid 99 cents or found it free. Just an alternate view on a game that's been mentioned quite a bit lately.

[quote name='etcrane'] Every time I return to the station I feel like I'm about to watch an episode of Roseanne.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Might have to make that my sig!

Awww, I wish you'd posted sooner. I didn't want to miss the sale price and bought it last night after all the Space Miner gushing.

Won't be playing it until I update to 3 - and I'm still on the fence about that after reading about people wanting to go back to 2 because of various problems. It's also going to annoy me if I do it now and then have Apple go 4.0 in June and require another payment to update the OS again.

Well, you might still like Space Miner ... The gameplay is entertaining, it's just little things for me. Let me put it this way, when I'm playing Plants vs. Zombies, it's a smooth enjoyable experience from start to finish, I love everything about it, the graphics, the music, the gameplay ... It just clicks for me ... Kind of like sword and poker. It's like eating a really good ice cream flavor. With Space Miner, it's like I'm eating some really good ice cream and then suddenly I find like a little piece of a sardine in it and I'm like WTF why is there a sardine in this great ice cream ( or banjo in my space game). I can see why the people that have been praising it like it, the game play and system to customize the ship are pretty cool and it seems to have a nice amount of depth. It's just ... It's like when I bought SEED and the graphics were great but I could immediately tell that it was made by someone who didn't quite have a firm grasp on English and you get lines like "oh great sir on this most joyous of days, the sung is most greatly shinning" (to paraphrase) ... I just have a hard time when games don't click with me and little things stand out. But if you really like Asteroid or that type of game, Space Miner might be a great buy ... as long as you like banjos in space and hick uncles. ;)

[quote name='etcrane']Well, you might still like Space Miner ... The gameplay is entertaining, it's just little things for me. Let me put it this way, when I'm playing Plants vs. Zombies, it's a smooth enjoyable experience from start to finish, I love everything about it, the graphics, the music, the gameplay ... It just clicks for me ... Kind of like sword and poker. It's like eating a really good ice cream flavor. With Space Miner, it's like I'm eating some really good ice cream and then suddenly I find like a little piece of a sardine in it and I'm like WTF why is there a sardine in this great ice cream ( or banjo in my space game). I can see why the people that have been praising it like it, the game play and system to customize the ship are pretty cool and it seems to have a nice amount of depth. It's just ... It's like when I bought SEED and the graphics were great but I could immediately tell that it was made by someone who didn't quite have a firm grasp on English and you get lines like "oh great sir on this most joyous of days, the sung is most greatly shinning" (to paraphrase) ... I just have a hard time when games don't click with me and little things stand out. But if you really like Asteroid or that type of game, Space Miner might be a great buy ... as long as you like banjos in space and hick uncles. ;)[/QUOTE]
I don't mind the banjo music obviously it's to compliment the game's sense of humor, but just to let you know they're releasing an update that lets you play your own music. So at least there's that?

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']I don't mind the banjo music obviously it's to compliment the game's sense of humor, but just to let you know they're releasing an update that lets you play your own music. So at least there's that?[/QUOTE]

That would help and I don't mean to just be slamming Space Miners, I think I've just fallen more in line with the Nintendo school of game design lately ... basically, if your game is going to have a story and make me read through text bubbles and have characters, make it a damn good story or just don't have much of a story at all and let the game speak for itself (Mario, Zelda ... heck even Metroid to an extent early on)

... but so many of these iphone games that attempt a story mixed in with the core gameplay that doesn't really need a story tend to fail miserably in my eyes. If the gameplay mechanics are solid then I don't need all the text and banter, just let me play the game and let it stand on its own merit. That's why I love Sword & Poker ... it's the type of game that totally could have gone the story route, it has rpg elements to it as well ... but it chose not to add that on at the cost of the overall game and I appreciate that. Sometimes more turns out to be less in the long run and Space Miners is fun ... I've gone back and played a bit more, but I don't feel like the story elements are necessary or, in my case, even wanted.

[quote name='mkernan']
Also, check out 'Colorbind'. I haven't played it yet, but I heard it mentioned on last night's episode of CO-OP when they were asked what indie iPhone games they'd been playing. The iTunes Store reviews seems really high and its an introductory price of $1 ("for one week only", which would imply that the price goes up tomorrow). I think I might pick it up.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colorbind/id356126423?mt=8

Just noticed there's a lite version too. Just make sure you buy it today if you like the lite version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colorbind-lite/id356127196?mt=8[/QUOTE]
Gave the lite version a try and it seemed odd but had promise. I bought the full version and it does a much better job slowly ramping up the difficulty. A lot of the patterns you end up making look really neat as well. Definitely worth a buck if you're into these types of puzzles.

[quote name='etcrane']Sometimes more turns out to be less in the long run and Space Miners is fun ... I've gone back and played a bit more, but I don't feel like the story elements are necessary or, in my case, even wanted.[/QUOTE]

I told ya 30 minutes was too soon to write it off, it gets more and more fun as you get deeper into the rpg elements...as I said, I could care less about the story so I don't judge it either way based on that...based on you liking P vs Z and Sword and Poker I'm surprised you dont love Space Miner(I know they really don't have anything to do with one another, other than the fact I love all 3).

On another topic, I bought minisquadron yesterday for 2.99. It came out a while ago, I think I missed it cause it came out around christmas. It's not on sale or anything, but its an excellent shooter that has 50 plus planes to collect for achieving various scores. I'm sure a lot of you already have it, but if you missed it like me, I highly recommend it...there's a lite version to try too.

Downloaded Minisquadron when it was free for a day. I picked it up then but never got around to playing it because I didn't upgrade my OS until yesterday. It's really fun and the controls are pretty accurate.

Just a reminder, Battle For Wesnoth is an IMMENSE value for just $1 today if you like turn based strategy. It's freeware on PC but if you want the bite-sized edition, you best pay up NOW. Just by bulk of content alone $1 is good.

Also, apart from maybe Cybil in Sam and Max Season 1 Ep 1 and Dessie Delite, I can't think of a single adventure game character as absurdly, forthrightly, and unconditionally helpful as that one crazy British countess lady from the hotel in Broken Sword.

[quote name='punkmaggit']I'd like to bite on Battle for Wesnoth, but episodic content? fuck that.[/QUOTE]

203 mb for 99 cents tho ... I guess episodic content can mean it's just well supported too? I was willing to take a chance for a buck and if it's awful then I'll just delete it and move on.

[quote name='punkmaggit']I'd like to bite on Battle for Wesnoth, but episodic content? fuck that.[/QUOTE]
The main Wesnoth is the full thing, with what appears to be a dozen different campaigns. The separate $1 Wesnoths are just bite sized versions with a single campaign each. I think all the extra Wesnoths are contained in the MAIN Wesnoth.

I can confirm. The MAIN Wesnoth has all the content in the smaller Wesnoths.

[quote name='Escher0']Gave the lite version a try and it seemed odd but had promise. I bought the full version and it does a much better job slowly ramping up the difficulty. A lot of the patterns you end up making look really neat as well. Definitely worth a buck if you're into these types of puzzles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I checked out the lite version and I enjoyed it, but did find it difficult (in a good way). I think I might go ahead and spring the $1 for it before it goes up. Touch Arcade has some impressions:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/02/24/colorbind-will-twist-your-mind/

final fantasy 1 and 2 are out now for 8.99 each, they are supposed to be good ports

transformers G1 is also out for 4.99, reviews have been very positive on this tbs

[quote name='caltab']final fantasy 1 and 2 are out now for 8.99 each, they are supposed to be good ports

transformers G1 is also out for 4.99, reviews have been very positive on this tbs[/QUOTE]

Where are you seeing those? They aren't appearing in the App store for me currently, I know they're scheduled to drop Thursday but have you actually been able to find them in iTunes?

[quote name='etcrane']Where are you seeing those? They aren't appearing in the App store for me currently, I know they're scheduled to drop Thursday but have you actually been able to find them in iTunes?[/QUOTE]

I dont see them either but they are suprisingly in the OTHER app store . But I never get games from that store ( not being sarcastic , never do )

[quote name='etcrane']Where are you seeing those? They aren't appearing in the App store for me currently, I know they're scheduled to drop Thursday but have you actually been able to find them in iTunes?[/QUOTE]

they are out, try using the links at the bottom of the articles on toucharcade.com front page...also for future reference when a game has a release date it usually comes out at 11 pm the night before(est)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transformers-g1-awakening/id339831441?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy/id354972939?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-ii/id354974729?mt=8

Cool, thanks! Next question - which Final Fantasy is the ONE to get right away? ;)

After reading the Touch Arcade review, I notice he suggests FF1 first ... but but ... 2 has Chocobos ...

Alright hardcore FF fans, of which I am not one, break it down ... which one is better

[quote name='RollingSkull']$8.99? That has to be a cruel joke.[/QUOTE]It's not that bad. Ain't the updated PSP versions in the upper $10 ranges?

And we all know this'll be cut by at least 30% in the upcoming weeks, anyway.

[quote name='ryushe']It's not that bad. Ain't the updated PSP versions in the upper $10 ranges?

And we all know this'll be cut by at least 30% in the upcoming weeks, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Will it? Square Enix doesn't seem to discount their games the way other companies do ... I'm still waiting for a sale on Song Summoner .. which I believe actually just came down to 7.99 tonight ... which is still high.

bread's done
Back