iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='punkmaggit']I'd like to bite on Battle for Wesnoth, but episodic content? fuck that.[/QUOTE]
Might I ask what turns you off about episodic content?

This one, that's currently on sale for $1 is the full package, there are separate apps that are individual episodes (that on a normal day would be a cheaper way to sample a smaller portion of content). All the campaign updates to this main version of the app have been free and will continue to be free for the foreseeable future.

It is a little confusing the way Wesnoth does it with allowing for the smaller purchases, but once you figure it out, it's like quite a few other apps that follow the release, feedback, update, repeat formula.

I think I'll pick up FF1 and wait for a drop on FF2.

Considering these came out at 30.00 each on the PSP, 9.00 is a steal.

Might get sliding heroes for .99 too.

So far so good on FF1.

I also downloaded Mega Man 2. I didn't like the demo, but I figured why not at .99.

I actually like the full game a lot more. Easy mode is VERY easy (I've beaten 3 bosses and haven't died once, with landscape and classic mode enabled). The difficulty is nice because I won't be throwing my phone on the train now :p

On a side note, Apple NEEDS to release folders for apps. I was on my 10th page of app this morning. I decided to do a backup and deleted a bunch that I wasn't playing and knocked it down to 8.

I just can't understand the nostalgia impulse that makes people play the oldest, tedious...est... of the JRPGs, especially at that price on the Iphone platform.

Don't mind me though. I'm a curmudgeon.

To contribute to the thread, Giana Sisters is down to $2.99 from $5. I loved Giana on the DS and this appears to be a port (And the only version that'll reach US shores, I guess.). My love might be my own quirks, but I thought it was a much better platformer than most, despite being very simple. It starts out comically easy but ramps up to a workout at the halfway point and that's as far as I've gotten.

For anyone even remotely interested in 3D photography, this app will do parallel or crosseye. I prefer cross, I just find it easier to use. The app is StereoMaker. So when you run it you tap the left camera, or + to import, for the left eye and then the right one for the right eye. The nice thing is it doesn't clutter your camera roll with every picture, each eye, you take. It only saves to the camera roll when you're done. So after you get the images for both eyes taken you can align them. I try to only align the vertically so I don't mess up the seperation to much. Then just rotate your device clockwise and it displys the images in crosseye view, counterclockwise for parallel. If you want to save just tap the final image when you're viewing it to bring up the option. It's really easy to use and works quite well and best of all it's free.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stereomaker/id293638596?mt=8

... And of course this only works well with stilllife. :lol:

[quote name='hollowfreak']For anyone even remotely interested in 3D photography, this app will do parallel or crosseye. I prefer cross, I just find it easier to use. The app is StereoMaker.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I just tried it out. It took a few tries but I got a working 3D shot of my mouse. Now what else to try....

EDIT: For some reason photos made with this don't seem to work with the Facebook app for uploading them. They end up just looking blank.

EDIT2: I find it easy to view this on my iPhone, but on the desktop I find I like to reduce the size by 50% or so, as that makes it easier to see them in 3D.

EDIT3:

I know its not on sale, in fact its almost $10, but Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (sold seperately) came out last night, plauing FF1 now, its badassed.

[quote name='DiRT_X']I know its not on sale, in fact its almost $10, but Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (sold seperately) came out last night, plauing FF1 now, its badassed.[/QUOTE]

Kinda LATE , lol

[quote name='etcrane']What an amazing sale :roll:[/QUOTE]

Square Enix iphone games are very over priced. How can Plants vs Zombies open at $3 and Crystal Defenders sale price be $6? They really are trying to cash in on their brand name, kind of annoying.

Final Fantasy games are still a good value at that price though. I picked up one for nostalgia's sake.

Anyone play the full version of song summoner? I've been very eager to pick up the game, just need a solid review to push me over the edge.

[quote name='Escher0']Gave the lite version a try and it seemed odd but had promise. I bought the full version and it does a much better job slowly ramping up the difficulty. A lot of the patterns you end up making look really neat as well. Definitely worth a buck if you're into these types of puzzles.[/QUOTE]

I give up. How do you play this game?

This isn't a game, but I figured I'd mention it here (I explain why below).

Its called 'Glow Painter Pro' and is described as "the first doodle app to give the power of custom glow paint brushes to the doodler in you!" Basically just a neat little $1 drawing app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glow-painter-pro/id351999428?mt=8

And here's why I thought I'd mention it here, even though its not a game:
I work in computer support for the Computer Science department at a university. Our current department chair teaches game development classes and he mentioned on Facebook that this app was made by one of our alumni. Figured I'd show some support by sharing it here in case anybody is interested. That, and it also seems to have good reviews in the app store.

Edit: After doing some Googling, I learned that the guy who wrote this app also worked on the XBLA game 'Splosion Man at Twisted Pixel. Neato.

[quote name='7thton']I give up. How do you play this game?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='7thton']Just found this...it helps.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/02/24/colorbind-will-twist-your-mind/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I posted that link on the previous page, referring to it as TouchArcade's "impressions". I did go ahead and bite on Colorbind for a $1 last night. I expect the price to go up later today or tomorrow, as it is mentioned as being an introductory, one week-only price. If you enjoy puzzle games that are simple in nature, but challenging in practice, then I'd recommend it. As evidenced by your "I give up" statement, it definitely takes a few minutes to wrap your head around the "rules" of the game. Reading the TouchArcade article and watching the accompanying video will definitely help though. Its much less mindless than other simple pick up and play type of games, but it still fits in that category, just a little bit more of a head-scratcher.

[quote name='j0dy77']Square Enix iphone games are very over priced.

Final Fantasy games are still a good value at that price though. I picked up one for nostalgia's sake. [/QUOTE]

So is it a good value or is it a ripoff? I'm confused.... :)

Yeah, I posted that link on the previous page, referring to it as TouchArcade's "impressions". I did go ahead and bite on Colorbind for a $1 last night. I expect the price to go up later today or tomorrow, as it is mentioned as being an introductory, one week-only price. If you enjoy puzzle games that are simple in nature, but challenging in practice, then I'd recommend it. As evidenced by your "I give up" statement, it definitely takes a few minutes to wrap your head around the "rules" of the game. Reading the TouchArcade article and watching the accompanying video will definitely help though. Its much less mindless than other simple pick up and play type of games, but it still fits in that category, just a little bit more of a head-scratcher.
I dunno, I thought the game was pretty straightforward. Drag your finger on the screen to cover the dots with the ribbon. I went ahead and dropped a buck for the full version based on the positive reviews and your posting. It's pretty relaxing in that it's a challenge but it's not a frenzied challenge. The controls are simple and some of the patterns are pretty cool, too. I've only played the first dozen or so puzzles, but I like it so far. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='Dimsdale']I dunno, I thought the game was pretty straightforward. Drag your finger on the screen to cover the dots with the ribbon. I went ahead and dropped a buck for the full version based on the positive reviews and your posting. It's pretty relaxing in that it's a challenge but it's not a frenzied challenge. The controls are simple and some of the patterns are pretty cool, too. I've only played the first dozen or so puzzles, but I like it so far. Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

(for clarity, we're talking about Colorbind)

Yeah, simple, I might say elegant. No time limits, no rush, pretty laid back, very straight-forward controls. The only confusion I had was learning that strips can't intersect at a fold and the way a piece being folder under or over affects whether or not you can successfully pass the dots. Glad you're liking it, I am so far too.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']Free game of the day's free game is Hook Champ Lite. Words cannot express the excitement I had to see hook champ followed by the realization that it was the Lite version. Really, what is the point of a free game a day if its the already free Lite version?
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334626553&mt=8

Free App A Day's free App is Graalonline.
http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=25&month=02[/QUOTE]
Their 'free game of the day' doesn't mean 'here's a game for free today' it means 'here is the free game we're featuring today'

[quote name='j0dy77']Square Enix iphone games are very over priced. How can Plants vs Zombies open at $3 and Crystal Defenders sale price be $6? They really are trying to cash in on their brand name, kind of annoying.

Anyone play the full version of song summoner? I've been very eager to pick up the game, just need a solid review to push me over the edge.[/QUOTE]

Song Summoner is a really good game, though I would suggest that you try the lite version as the full game is basically that plus a number of new units with better skills, the story is serviceable but isn't all that great and creating tune troopers on top of clearing challenges gave me a decent playing time (I'd say my estimated playing time is about 10 - 15 hrs, though that's because I unlocked and maxed out every trooper.) The battles and objectives get somewhat harder as the game progresses, but it can easily be broken by using some of the more advanced units, the training sessions though become pretty hard once you've reached the final mission and will require some planning to pass. Overall, it's a good game for me, retroactively speaking, I'm not sure if I would've paid full price for it, at it's $7.99 price I would most likely buy it, though it would still feel pricey.

In any case, play the lite version, if you really like it and see yourself playing something similar to that for another 4 - 5 hrs, then buy it. Also, some people say you can finish it in about 4 hrs, personally I got side tracked, so I don't know how accurate that time frame is.

[quote name='crunchewy']So is it a good value or is it a ripoff? I'm confused.... :)[/QUOTE]

Haha, YES?

The final fantasy games are a lot of fun. I've only touched FF1 for a little while but it brings back a lot of memories and the redone graphics are solid.

I meant to clarify that "all of the other" Square Enix games are overpriced. $7 for an ok tower defense is not a good value. FF for $9 is a good value in my book.

Final Fantasy is the one to get, if you were considering only buying one of the two. The levelling system of FF2 has been the cause of much complaint over the years.

Now if only they'd release FF3 for iPhone...

Bought Battle for Wesnoth for $0.99. Any game that gets perfect review scores when it's $5 or more and drops to a dollar is a near automatic pickup for me. Especially when it's only been out for a couple of months. It's been well supported with free updates, too, although I really doubt I need 125 hours of gaameplay from an iPod game. I think it looks interesting, though, so I grabbed it.

Space Miner got me at $2, and I like it, but I definitely don't think it's as hot as the reviews and public opinion made it out to be. It's fun, though, and it has been growing on me the more I play it. I don't really like the hick aspect of it, but the dialogue actually made me laugh at one point, which never happens to me when just reading text. The game is well done for sure.

I still want Crystal Defenders, but this first ever price drop for it still hasn't hit my $3 price limit. Oh well. The Final Fantasy games probably won't be getting much of a price drop if SE's other releases are any indication, so I'll be skipping these and just play the dozens of other games I have still barely touched. They do seem worth it, though.

[quote name='mis0']FFIII for the iPhone/Touch is very doable. FFIV as well. Just port over them DS remakes![/QUOTE]

if you play madden 10, you would see FFVII is even doable.

[quote name='mis0']FFIII for the iPhone/Touch is very doable. FFIV as well. Just port over them DS remakes![/QUOTE]

This. I'd fork over $10 for FFIV but I & II? Pass.

Well, I forked over $9 for FF1. What a waste of $9. They ruined the game with 2 major things... control sucks and the fonts are way too small. I have never seen an iPhone game with fonts this small. Maybe you younger guys can read it, but I can't. Talk about eye strain. I think I will go back to my GBA version of these 2 games. Those were wonderful. And for $1 more, I could have gotten Final Fantasy 8 for my PSP...

I'll stick to RPGs designed for iPhone from the beginning, like Inotia II, which is simply terrific and on sale. Across Age looks really good. Zenonia 2 comes out soon, and there is always Elven Chronicles if you want turn-based combat like Final Fantasy. And it is only 99 cents...

[quote name='seanr1221']So which is better, Inotia 2, Ravensword or Crusade of Destiny?[/QUOTE]

I only own Ravensword and really regret the purchase. With the time i've played it was just boring and unbalanced. Inotia2 has a demo if you want to consider before taking the plunge.

I agree with one of the above posters about FF1 font, it is really small but doesn't bother me. I've played almost 2 hours in and I am loving it, the interface, music, graphics all done amazingly well. The only complaint I have is the action select sounds, it is like nails on a chalkboard and you can't turn them off. That is a minor complaint though.

Welcome to Hell is also $1, from $3.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/welcome-to-hell/id352193990?mt=8

http://appshopper.com/games/welcome-to-hell

edit: it's ok if you like your zombies with a side of gangsta. I didn't feel the music and vibe fits the mood the visuals set but to each their own I guess. I had to turn the music off, turned down all the way, and either plays it as is or load up my own music. Megadeth was better but still not what I'd want. I'd rather something witout lyrics and something I don't usually listen to but even then every level is followed but some random ass saying with biotch in it. World at War: In the Hood: Zombies :lol:

Not a deal, but Vector Tanks 2 EX! is awesome for anyone who likes Battlezone. It's faster and more frantic with powerups (rockets, railguns, etc.) and great sound. It's worth the $1.99 price point.

Just thought I'd pass on the recommendation.

Octopus - original ocean adventure is free. It's a direct rip of the old Nintendo Game & Watch game. It has an advertisement for the "upgraded" version which is not free, and to my eyes looks horrendously awful, but I haven't tried it. What's funny, though, is that they describe it as being based on the original Russian game. Is this really originally a Russian game and not a game owned my Nintendo, or are the Russians ripping off Nintendo? If so, this won't last, so get it while you can! :) It's worth a download and has OpenFeint for achievements and leaderboards.

http://appshopper.com/games/octopus-original-ocean-adventure

On a side note, when is Apple going to buy OpenFeint and make it the official one? Now that I've learned that OpenFeint supports things like ghosts and replay videos for leaderboards (see Jet Car Stunts), I think all its features along with its much wider adoption makes it the clear choice for Apple to buy and make the standard.

[quote name='crunchewy']
On a side note, when is Apple going to buy OpenFeint and make it the official one? Now that I've learned that OpenFeint supports things like ghosts and replay videos for leaderboards (see Jet Car Stunts), I think all its features along with its much wider adoption makes it the clear choice for Apple to buy and make the standard.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see that happen, or even apple coming up with their own- its ads a lot of replay value to games and you gotta love achievement points.

Also, I've been addicted to Tilt to Live which came out a few days ago and is 1.99. Its an accelerometer game where you avoid the little red dots and kill them using power ups/weapons you run into on the screen. There's online leader boards and achievements that unlock new power ups too. Its a really fun little time waister. It hasn't seemed to have gotten much attention yet, but I've got a feeling if it drops to .99 it will jump onto the charts(although i think its worth full price).

[quote name='awp']Vector tanks is pretty much the same old Battlezone game, which is still fun, but the new version kicks ass IMO.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend downloading both Vector Tanks Classic and Vector Tanks Extreme. One feels very old school arcadey and the other is fast and frantic with lots of power ups, shields, etc.. Not to mention its voiced by Duke Nukem!

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Isn't it always free?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would be notable if the 'Ad-Free' version that's $1.99 was the free app. Meh.

I really like Buzzword. Fun two player (or more) game. Does anyone know of a good 80's/90's Trivia? I tried the new VH1 I Love the 80's and it was okay. A search came up with a few mediocre titles.

Neocell Fighters and Sky Force Reloaded look remarkably similar and are similarly free at the moment. May want to pick them up if you've been hankering for an oldschool, top-down, flying 'n shooting scroller.

bread's done
Back