iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Neocell Fighters is pretty ugly, but Sky Force Reloaded is lovely. Thanks Dimsdale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Neocell is pretty crude and simplistic (but, hey, it's still free). I also seem to have picked up the original Sky Force at some point. It looks just as polished as Reloaded, and it actually has some different graphics (though gameplay is virtually identical). Definitely worth a download the next time it's on sale.

So I just started playing Space Miner, and the game keeps crashing when I'm talking to that alien store owner for the first time. Anyone else encounter this?

[quote name='doodofdoods']So I just started playing Space Miner, and the game keeps crashing when I'm talking to that alien store owner for the first time. Anyone else encounter this?[/QUOTE]

I have but I think its because my iphone is jbroken which IMO SLOWS it down abit

While not on sale, I must say the new G1 Transformers game Awakenings is a lot of fun to play for both fans of the classic series and SRPG. Even follows the plots fairly faithfully. Jetfire even starts out as a Decepticon!

It's $5, well worth it.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I have but I think its because my iphone is jbroken which IMO SLOWS it down abit[/QUOTE]

Jailbreaking doesnt do anything to the performance of the iphone unless you have something installed that constantly uses memory/processing power..

[quote name='doodofdoods']Giana Sisters is $2.99

Adrenaline, Fire Tail 2, Around, and Fly Must Die! are all free to celebrate the release of the developers new game Zonix.[/QUOTE]

Still coming up as $.99 for all these games

[quote name='kklems']Still coming up as $.99 for all these games[/QUOTE]

they were free yesterday, probably only a 1 day sale...

fallen star is another free game today

[quote name='Watchman']While not on sale, I must say the new G1 Transformers game Awakenings is a lot of fun to play for both fans of the classic series and SRPG. Even follows the plots fairly faithfully. Jetfire even starts out as a Decepticon!

It's $5, well worth it.[/QUOTE]

You know, I noticed this game yesterday... is this a legit licensed game from Hasbro? I figure it has to be after vetting from Apple, but I was a bit surprised, since we haven't seen a G1 game domestically since what, the NES?

I second the recommendation of Vector Tanks. I've only played the free one (not EXTREME), but it's a full game and is really fun. If you liked Battle Zone you definitely should download it. Now I'm probably going to get the paid version too, but haven't yet.

Also, IMHO, Sky Force Reloaded is better then Sky Force primarily because of the annoying level in the latter where you can't shoot - I hate that level. It's a shame because otherwise it's just as good as Reloaded. Reloaded is the best 2d vertical shooter I've found on the platform (again IMHO).

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']I'm going to go ahead and declare Space Miner as officially awesome. Thanks all for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I loved it. Kinda sad it's over know.

[quote name='crunchewy']I second the recommendation of Vector Tanks. I've only played the free one (not EXTREME), but it's a full game and is really fun. If you liked Battle Zone you definitely should download it. Now I'm probably going to get the paid version too, but haven't yet.

Also, IMHO, Sky Force Reloaded is better then Sky Force primarily because of the annoying level in the latter where you can't shoot - I hate that level. It's a shame because otherwise it's just as good as Reloaded. Reloaded is the best 2d vertical shooter I've found on the platform (again IMHO).[/QUOTE]

Thats because Vector Tanks Classic isn't a demo its a full game. Its only free for a limited time to promote Vector Tanks Extreme which is a different full game. Vector Tanks Extreme is like the classic game but on steroids. Faster paced, shields that you can refill, way more enemies and types of enemies on the screen at once, etc.. Classic is more for the arcade purist.

870261.png
The Raging Dead dropped to $0.99, from $2.99.

I've had it on my watch list, the reviews seem hit and miss, with a lot of uninstall 1 stars.

I hate to judge games on graphics alone but at times it happens and with The Raging Dead it looks like just red and blue dots. That's not exactly what I want out of a zombie game. Now it may be fun, and it may be neat watching those little dots run after the other little dots and infect them but I know I'd get bored with that really quick. Let's face it zombie games need gore to satisfy our primal urges. :lol:

I picked up Astro Ranch as it was probably my most anticipated iPhone game for months and months, but I'm a tad disappointed so far. It seems to be on a much smaller scale than I was expecting and I've already experienced one crash that has made me lose all desire to keep playing. I've read others experiencing the same problems too; some people have even complained about freezing as well (all on 3GS).

[quote name='Dimsdale']The Free App a Day trifecta includes a couple of puzzlers: Strimko (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=30&month=02) and LetsTans )http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=28&month=02) in addition to TextPlus (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=26&month=02). The Open Feint Free Game of the Day is Draw Slasher: Dark Ninja vs Pirate Monkey Zombies (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=333263239&mt=8).[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dimsdale! Downloaded!

[quote name='Kush']I picked up Astro Ranch as it was probably my most anticipated iPhone game for months and months, but I'm a tad disappointed so far. It seems to be on a much smaller scale than I was expecting and I've already experienced one crash that has made me lose all desire to keep playing. I've read others experiencing the same problems too; some people have even complained about freezing as well (all on 3GS).[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they will fix the bugs in an update at some point soon

[quote name='fujishig']You know, I noticed this game yesterday... is this a legit licensed game from Hasbro? I figure it has to be after vetting from Apple, but I was a bit surprised, since we haven't seen a G1 game domestically since what, the NES?[/QUOTE]

It's totally legit. Glu published it, and it has I believe 33 characters--even a couple of Blaster's tapes: Eject and Rewind (mostly to balance against Rumble and Frenzy).

Some of the levels are over and done with inside of a few minutes--it's more of a puzzle than strategy on those--but the rest definitely offer up some honest-to-goodness strategy RPG. Fall back and let Metroplex slowly lumber into the front line? Try and protect the power station, earn enough Energon to let Metroplex call in additional Autobots?

I mean, it's not Final Fantasy Tactics, but it offers a more than decent experience for the $5, and the builds for each 'bot are spot-on, right down to Trypticon's horn.

I picked up Robocalypse the first time it hit $2 a couple months ago, and just now started really getting into it. It's a really good real time strategy game that was a $20 or $30 game on the DS, and ported over. It took me a little while to grasp everything about it, but I'm on mission 4 or 5 now, and having a great time with it. It's $0.99 now and has gone on sale for that price often, and I think the "normal price" is $5. There's a lite version also. I really recommend checking it out.

http://www.slidetoplay.com/game/robocalypse-mobile-mayhem

Has anyone heard any news of an update for PvZ so it'd run a little bit smoother with no slow down? Awesome game, but once half my lawn is filled, my iTouch slows down a bit. I do have a 2g Touch.. so that might be the difference.

I've played astro ranch a lot today. The game could be a great farm/animal crossing game, but as someone else said it is very unstable- its crashed on my 2nd gen touch 3 times wiping out all your progress for the day. The controls could be a lot tighter too- i've struggled with them a decent amount. If they do update it, this could be a good game underneath all the problems..

[quote name='donburns99']
870261.png
The Raging Dead dropped to $0.99, from $2.99.

I've had it on my watch list, the reviews seem hit and miss, with a lot of uninstall 1 stars.[/QUOTE]

I didn't enjoy this game. You can upgrade weapons, but those damn red dots are really small. Then you try to hit the red dots but your thumbs just can't do it and your eyes strain trying. Looked interesting at first, but I wouldn't recommend it.

[quote name='mis0']Has anyone heard any news of an update for PvZ so it'd run a little bit smoother with no slow down? Awesome game, but once half my lawn is filled, my iTouch slows down a bit. I do have a 2g Touch.. so that might be the difference.[/QUOTE]

On a 3rd Gen iPod Touch, the game slows down when I have the lawn nearly full. Haven't heard any updates yet, though.

Just FYI. For those Angry Birds fans, there's a free game out called Protect Your Nuts. It's not the same quality as Angry Birds, but it has the same type of concept (kind of stolen, if you ask me) and it's not too bad.....especially for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='awp']kind of stolen[/QUOTE]

angry birds "stole" from another game that was flash based, can't remember the name atm, which probably "stole" from another idea before that

you're better off using "clone" to describe games that are very similar

assassins creed 2 multiplayer (which is a stand alone game) is free tor 48 hours for its launch today(will be 2.99 after), looks pretty fun. Im sure they are giving it away at first to build up a user base.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']PMN is good shit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Check out Across Age!!! 2D JRPG!!!!!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Transylvania Adventure is awesome!!![/QUOTE]

You could, um, maybe try to be a little more descriptive in your recommendations? Why do you think they're "good shit" or "awesome"? What makes them worth checking out? I appreciate recommendations, but they're more meaningful if they actually tell me something. ;)

Astro Ranch is ok. It's more Harvest Moon than it is Animal Crossing. Most of your time's going to be spent raising your farm. I've only seen 6 aliens in the game, and only two of them have houses. the map is pretty small, game could definitely use a bigger map with more area's to explore with more aliens to interact with. Loading time is pretty bad, but there's only 4 places to go that would need loading anyway, so it's not that big of a problem. one of those places is your house, though. so if you want to check out prices of crops or change clothes/house decor, then you'll have to sit through the loading times( 15-20 seconds on a 1g Touch).

I don't really like the fishing in the game. In Animal Crossing there's no time limit set on you, you can stay out all night and fish if that's what you want to do. In Rune Factory you have a health bar, crops to raise, and time moved much faster than it does in Animal Crossing. Astro Ranch is like Rune Factory in that regard, However when fishing in Rune Factory time stood still, so you could take your time and relax while trying to catch fish. In Astro Ranch the time keeps flowing by while you fish, meaning you'll have to waste most of your day trying to catch fish. I've yet to catch a fish in Astro Ranch, but that may just be because I suck at the touch controls.

Another thing I didn't like was digging costs you money, and there's no way(as far as I know anyway) to undig. What's worse is that the metal detector in the game requires you to dig in order to get the items you find with it. I used up all my money digging plots and using the metal detector, and when I couldn't dig any more I wondered why that was the case. I then looked at my money and noticed I had 60 less chips(in-game money) than before. So I had to shake some trees to get some quick cash and then planted some more crops to get back the money.

[quote name='anathema728']Assasin's Creed 2 Multiplayer is free for the next 48 hours[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the multiplayer? It's a side-scroller ... how does the multiplayer factor in? Any thoughts on this game from folks who own it?

[quote name='etcrane']What exactly is the multiplayer? It's a side-scroller ... how does the multiplayer factor in? Any thoughts on this game from folks who own it?[/QUOTE]

this is more of a buy now, ask later situation. it is published by ubisoft though.

Hmmm ... I dunno, this game looks a bit more linear than the 1st, considering it's just a side scroller. I'm kind of torn about picking it up for $6.99 on the promise of potentially fun multiplayer

Bravo, imagine if the link had been there in the first place :whistle2:k

[quote name='anathema728']this is more of a buy now, ask later situation. it is published by ubisoft though.[/QUOTE]

I don't 'buy' many free things, but I do appreciate the clarification on the deal. ;)

Rayman 2: The Great Escape just landed in the App store ... looks decent for a 3d game

Guess it's getting some mixed reviews, but a few people on other forums are vouching for it.

bread's done
Back