iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fire_Thief']Maybe I should buy S&P 2 since everyone else is.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity... how many apps do you have? I swear you buy something every day...

Oh and thank you Dimsdale for the ongoing app posts.

I've only spent $30 on apps, all games. Only regretted about $5 worth of apps, impulse buys what can I say.

Sword and Poker 2 is exactly the same so far, there are 2 extra status effects, named forget(blocks opponent's next status effect?) and poison. As for skills, dunnnno.

Not much to warrant a sequel title, more like an expansion. I would have loved to see an expanded equipment, side quests/floors. Equipment that would boost stuff like wild card meter, or +1 damage to a certain hand, or boost a certain skill/status effect. Something that would change your style of play unlike the first one's end game which relied on paralysis.

Multiplayer is the same. Startout with same stats etc.

Eh, 1st Sword & Poker was solid ... never finished it because other games caught my interest, but I'll support the Devs with another $2 simply as a matter of principle. Who knows, maybe I'll beat 1 before I load up 2.

[quote name='Malik112099']You must fucking LOVE this app then...

http://www.appshopper.com/reference/2010-world-map-free[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was really hoping it was going to be just a world map .. as in a 'game' world map ... but with no actual game ... and you just move your little guy all over the world map but nothing happens. I mean, that would have kept Fire Thief occupied for a good 2 weeks and off the boards. ;)

Aw, just kidding Fire Thief ... I appreciate your daily contributions, but you're just an easy target.

[quote name='etcrane']Eh, 1st Sword & Poker was solid ... never finished it because other games caught my interest[/QUOTE]

yo, you gotta tell me what is better than s&p other than pvz and space or eminer. I have yet to see some quality original games for iphonetouch

[quote name='anathema728']yo, you gotta tell me what is better than s&p other than pvz and space or eminer. I have yet to see some quality original games for iphonetouch[/QUOTE]

S&P started out like a godsend but it went on for far too long as someone who wants to finish games.

[quote name='anathema728']yo, you gotta tell me what is better than s&p other than pvz and space or eminer. I have yet to see some quality original games for iphonetouch[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you're actually looking for recommendations or just making a point, but I would say there's actually quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, S&P is awesome but it's easy to jump around from game to game on the iPhone.

Right now I'd say Chaos Rings is keeping me coming back ... it literally feels like I'm playing a quality PS1 rpg on my iphone and I'm really digging that currently. The other games you mentioned are all solid, I would add Angry Birds to the list, as well as GTA: Chinatown Wars (though I don't think it's as good a match for the platform as Chaos Rings is), Spider, Zombie Smash are some that come to mind immediately.

I think my main point is that so many games come out for this platform so quickly that it's really easy to just keep downloading new stuff and forget about what I downloaded last week. It's not so much that they aren't great games, it's just that at such a low price point and with such high volume, it's really easy to get swept up in buying more and more without appreciating what you have. Of course, I suffer from this on a console and pc level too ... I really should just take a month or two and ban myself from coming on CAG or making any gaming related purchases just to re-center my universe ;)

Free sites update for Monday:

Free App a Day is featuring StarPagga (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=03&month=05). There's also a match-3 I hadn't noticed before, Glamour Puzzle (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=32&month=05).

Free App Calendar has another puzzler called iTubes (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=147).

The other main freebie sites, OpenFeint and Great App a Day, have already had their titles (Machiavelli's Ascent and Birdie in Trouble respectively) posted elsewhere in this thread.

[quote name='Hostile']S&P started out like a godsend but it went on for far too long as someone who wants to finish games.[/QUOTE]

I call that "value." But I can see how it could have dragged on if you weren't in love with it.

The initial thoughts are that S&P II could have been much more, but truly for $2 you can't go wrong if you enjoyed the first. Also, am I the only one who didn't realize that the hero was a girl? #-o

My little brother gave me a $15 iTunes card as I said previously (just got it last night). I was so excited to get Street Fighter 4 after playing the new one for PS3 a ton. Unfortunately, its back up to $10, so I thought it would be good to wait on that since $3 is about 1-3 games. I did purchase Sim City for 2.99 (3.17 after tax). Very very nice if you are a fan of the game. Graphics are of the newer style. Its kinda weird getting used to the touch screen as there is a lot of zooming and unzooming to make sure your building placements are good.

I never finished the first S&P. I did really, really like it and played it like crazy for quite a while, but then I got burnt out on it. Without major changes, I can't see buying the sequel.

[quote name='crunchewy']I never finished the first S&P. I did really, really like it and played it like crazy for quite a while, but then I got burnt out on it. Without major changes, I can't see buying the sequel.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel, I got to the 18th floor and just stopped so I'll probably hold out until .99 to support as I probably won't even play it

I so wish you could have brought your S&P1 player back into this. I havent checked the multi to see if you can use your actual character or if you can play phone to phone.

[quote name='ohboy10451']any upcoming deals on ipod touch 3rd gen?[/QUOTE]

It was the DEAL OF THE DAY on either woot or some of DOTD site yesterday for $150

Another OpenFeint price drop freebie is available for today, Honey Pot (http://www.appshopper.com/games/honey-pot).
Honey Pot

If you like "Tetris", or "Hextris", you'll love this game!

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Honey Pot is Free for TODAY only.

Random hexagonal pieces fall down the screen. Your job is to place them carefully so they make complete lines. Use special pieces and combinations to help you out. Keep going as long as you can!

Fun and addictive puzzle game.

Three game modes and fully integrated Challenges, Leaderboards and Achievements.

Great action fun for the whole family.

The game is OPEN FEINT enabled. There are Achievements, Leaderboards, Challenges and Notifications waiting for you to explore!

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Wow thats impressive, its a shame I'm not musically good with synthesizers or other music programs. I have 8bitone+ synthesizer and I'm not really good at using it.[/QUOTE]

Beatmaker is not like a synthesizer, it's a sampler and sequencer. It's deceiving simple and powerful. The onboard effects and xy controller add an incredible amount of depth. I've been using it all weekend and I've been blown away.

Propellerheads just released Rebirth as an iPhone app. I haven't picked it up but according to reviews, it's a complete port, which is just mindblowing. It's only $7 too. It's a bit more complicated to use than 8bitone. Honestly, don't feel bad if 8bitone is tricky for you, it's a bit of a daunting app, especially for a novice.

Once you get the hang of sequencing this will all be a lot easier for you.

Have you checked out Argon? It's a brilliant soft synth with a built in sequencer, and it's only $2. Plus it integrates with Beatmaker!

On the other hand, if you just want to make fun chiptune type noise, Nesynth is the way to go.

[quote name='Fighterspledge']Just out of curiosity... how many apps do you have? I swear you buy something every day...[/QUOTE]

If you really want a laugh, ask him how many he bought before he even had an iPod touch...

I'm enjoying Sword & Poker. It's essentially the same as the first, but there are a number of additions that make it worth purchasing. The additions are rolled out slowly, similar to the first game.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I'm enjoying Sword & Poker. It's essentially the same as the first, but there are a number of additions that make it worth purchasing. The additions are rolled out slowly, similar to the first game.[/QUOTE]

What are the new additions (gameplay wise)?

gameplay is basically the same. I've noticed a few things that are new, some of which I won't spoil.

2 new special effects- Poison and Forget.

New Magic: Berserk adds points to your next attack based on the number of spades in your hand.

Bosses have special abilities now. The first boss heals himself after each round.

You can now preview the effects of a magic spell that effects the cards on the field before you use it.

You can check the enemies stats before you decide to battle them.

The game manual now explains poker hands to players who may not be all that familiar with poker.

Game seems a bit harder to me. But the first game didn't really get easy until you unlocked stronger equipment. So it's hard for me to compare until I get further into the game.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']It was the DEAL OF THE DAY on either woot or some of DOTD site yesterday for $150[/QUOTE]

WTF!!! why didnt you post that here :(

Damn. Still looking for a deal on one.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']It was the DEAL OF THE DAY on either woot or some of DOTD site yesterday for $150[/QUOTE]

Refurbished, hardware is the same as 2nd gen touch. Software is 3.0/3.1 which only costs $5 AFAIK to upgrade from 2.X

referring to the 8gb touch as "3rd gen" from a consumer point of view is a no no.

touch OS 4.0 is coming out, 2nd gen can run it but will not have all the features associated with 4.0

[quote name='etcrane']I'm not sure if you're actually looking for recommendations or just making a point, but I would say there's actually quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, S&P is awesome but it's easy to jump around from game to game on the iPhone.

I would add Angry Birds to the list, Spider, Zombie Smash are some that come to mind immediately.

I think my main point is that so many games come out for this platform so quickly that it's really easy to just keep downloading new stuff and forget about what I downloaded last week.[/QUOTE]

Recommendations; there's way too many to keep track of. I've played spider. Angry Birds and Zombie Smash are just variations to free flash games. I'm looking for new flavors like spider with touch controls or just new mechanics like s&p. I don't want what I already have on console/pc.

Recent games that sparked my interest were chromixa and auditorium

I have enough "free" time in class to eat up games, so not much jumping around for me.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']What are the new additions (gameplay wise)?[/QUOTE]
There's a sparkly monster that's "rare" on certain floors. Drops an item, so far I've got 1 weapon. It doesn't attack you but it runs away after a round. It puts a much greater emphasis on the puzzle element. Be sure to switch to beserk/#rearrange, you can't rob the rare monster since it doesn't have cards in its hand.

[quote name='DtotheP']If you really want a laugh, ask him how many he bought before he even had an iPod touch...[/QUOTE]
nothing wrong with doing this

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']I'm not sure if you're actually looking for recommendations or just making a point, but I would say there's actually quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, S&P is awesome but it's easy to jump around from game to game on the iPhone.

I would add Angry Birds to the list, Spider, Zombie Smash are some that come to mind immediately.

I think my main point is that so many games come out for this platform so quickly that it's really easy to just keep downloading new stuff and forget about what I downloaded last week.[/QUOTE]

Recommendations; there's way too many to keep track of. I've played spider. Angry Birds and Zombie Smash are just variations to free flash games. I'm looking for new flavors like spider with touch controls or just new mechanics like s&p. I don't want what I already have on console/pc.

Recent games that sparked my interest were chromixa and auditorium

I have enough "free" time in class to eat up games, so not much jumping around for me.

I bought a used 8GB 2nd gen for $115 shipped
And a used 32 GB 3rd gen for $165 shipped (after bing cashback)

[quote name='darknight88']WTF!!! why didnt you post that here :(

Damn. Still looking for a deal on one.[/QUOTE]

I finally got around to Across Age EX, the one chapter paid demo that I got for free as the deal... holy hell what a ripoff. That was shorter than most Lite versions of games you can download. What the hell are they smoking charging a dollar for that?

Plus, what a tepid, uninteresting throwback carried only by nostalgia. One more to cross off my BargainBin watchlist.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I want that Bryce Manor game..[/QUOTE]

you may want it but you probably dont " NEED " it . By the way you purchase stuff you have to be atleast $10,000 in debt. I always feel bad for spending money so you must feel like committing suicide * seriously *

if anyone likes Sim City marginally, the iPhone app is pretty darn amazing. it takes about 10 minutes to get used to the touch controls, but they are rather intuitive. my wife said I cheat because i turned off natural disasters...

SHUT UP BITCH!

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']you may want it but you probably dont " NEED " it . By the way you purchase stuff you have to be atleast $10,000 in debt. I always feel bad for spending money so you must feel like committing suicide * seriously *[/QUOTE]

Not in debt at all... Have over $2600 in the bank and get another $400 tomorrow, and every 2 weeks... I'm so straight. No expenses means a happy life for me.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I want that Bryce Manor game..[/QUOTE]

If you have money the buy all the shit you buy, then you certainly have the money to buy at least one good game.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Not in debt at all... Have over $2600 in the bank and get another $400 tomorrow, and every 2 weeks... I'm so straight. No expenses means a happy life for me.[/QUOTE]

What kind of job do you have?

[quote name='ohboy10451']any upcoming deals on ipod touch 3rd gen?[/QUOTE]

Check Craigslist, I picked up a 2nd gen 8 Gb for $70 bucks. Thing is in MINT condition. Also there is no hardware difference between the 8GB 2nd gen and the 8 Gb 3rd gen. There is a hardware difference in the larger 3rd gen models. But if you go with 8 gb might as well save some bank and go with the 2nd gen.

Or see if Fire_Thief will give you some money. Since he has so much of it to throw around, and no bills/responsibilities.

Don't worry, Fire Thief will get his karma back, and then some, when he finally moves out and has absolutely no idea how to survive.

Wow, $2600 in the bank. That's not even two months rent. That amount of money comes and GOES every few weeks once you hit the big leagues, sonny.

[quote name='Vegan']Don't worry, Fire Thief will get his karma back, and then some, when he finally moves out and has absolutely no idea how to survive.[/QUOTE]

haha......wait.....he lives with his parents ?? How old is he ?? :lol::lol:

[quote name='Vegan']Don't worry, Fire Thief will get his karma back, and then some, when he finally moves out and has absolutely no idea how to survive.

Wow, $2600 in the bank. That's not even two months rent. That amount of money comes and GOES every few weeks once you hit the big leagues, sonny.[/QUOTE]

Or once he starts touching ladies and not just his ipod.

It's screwed up to say I have bad karma just because I spend money. I'm only 19 and in college, NOTHING wrong with this. I DO touch a lady, my girlfriend of 14 months, who supports my habit... You can see her in my video of me driving down the street, you haters.... Ugh...

I don't really understand all the hate, but a bit of advice Fire Thief... going around talking about how 'good' life is and how much spare money you have isn't going to win you any friends. A lot of us don't have that luxury, and you're naturally going to piss someone off when you talk like that.

To be honest, I'm tired of seeing this nonsense in the thread. Back to deals, please.

[quote name='Vegan']Don't worry, Fire Thief will get his karma back, and then some, when he finally moves out and has absolutely no idea how to survive.

Wow, $2600 in the bank. That's not even two months rent. That amount of money comes and GOES every few weeks once you hit the big leagues, sonny.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "get his karma back"? I thought karma meant good comes with good and bad comes with bad. So has he done anything bad?

Even if Fire_Thief doesn't ask, I will; please show some respect for CAGs.

@noogy: I'm pretty sure he only responded because people were curious about his financial situation. I don't really see any posts where he's fanning bills in our faces.

That's what I'm saying. He is acting like I did something bad and got bad karma just because I'm enjoying life. Miss me with that bullshit.

Hmm... iPod deals. I have bought 50 apps so far... Probably $80 in all. That's an amazing price.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']It's screwed up to say I have bad karma just because I spend money. I'm only 19 and in college, NOTHING wrong with this. I DO touch a lady, my girlfriend of 14 months, who supports my habit... You can see her in my video of me driving down the street, you haters.... Ugh...[/QUOTE]

videos ?? the 17 and under or 18 and older kind ?

BACK TO THE DEALS!!

iFootball ™ Premium

646758.png

The premium edition of Jirbo Football is here!

ON SALE FROM $4.99! FREE!!!

http://appshopper.com/games/finger-football-premium

bread's done
Back