Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OpenFeint free game for Monday is Cowabunga Full (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cowabunga-full/id309219108?mt=8).

"A heavy rain has flooded the pasture and created a deep ravine that the cows need to cross to get home. Help them back to the barn by bouncing them from one cliff to the other. As the game progresses the cows start jumping off the cliff faster and faster. Touch bonus items as the wind blows them by to receive bonus items that help you and the cow as you play."

If you're into multi-game apps, I want to give a shoutout to All-in-1-Gamebox (http://appshopper.com/games/awesome-gamebox). They've just released another update with three new games. This sucker is up to 35 titles in one .99 app and they keep updating the thing on a regular basis. It's a ridiculously good deal for the money and most of the games it contains are actually quite fun.

Free App a Day is featuring the match-3 puzzler ElementZ as one of its Monday titles (http://itunes.apple.com/app/elementz/id337013874?mt=8).

"ElementZ, the puzzle game from GooBox, is finally available on the iPhone & iPod Touch.

The concept is simple: Align at least 3 orbs of the same color and stack up a maximum amount of points.

This version contains 3 game modes where 2 of them are exclusive to the iPhone & iPod Touch :
- Blitz: The classic mode in 4 minutes.
- Endurance: No given time. It is a matter of speed & skill.
- Training: Train yourself for the biggest combos without time or speed constraint."

Free App Calendar is featuring Pure Sudoku for its Monday game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pure-sudoku/id369128325?mt=8).

"Pure Sudoku is just that, Sudoku as it's meant to be played. Pure and simple.

Pure Sudoku doesn't require any special math skills or calculations. It is a simple and fun game of logic -- all that's needed is brains and concentration.

There is really only one rule to Sudoku: Fill in the game board so that the numbers 1 through 9 occur exactly once in each row, column, and 3x3 box.
The numbers can appear in any order and diagonals are not considered.
Your initial game board will consist of several numbers that are already placed. Those numbers cannot be changed.
Your goal is to fill in the empty squares following the simple rule above.

If you make a few mistakes, you can easily reset the puzzle back to the beginning and start again with the "Reset Puzzle".
Want to try a different puzzle, just press "New Puzzle" and you can try a completely different Sudoku game."

[quote name='Smaxor']A recent surprise for me was Sword of Fargoal. It's also a port but of a much older game (to the point I'm not sure 'port' is a fair description), but they did a really good job for what it is. It will not suit all tastes, and it's punishing as you learn, but there is a level of polish in the game that I appreciate greatly and the core game is engaging enough to me (rogue-like exploration) to sink a pleasant amount of time into.[/QUOTE]
People must be seeing something different in Fargoal than I am. I've run the try-and-delete cycle on it twice and just come back bored. I found it boring as both a real game and on the curved grading scale of a roguelike. After a while, I was just hoping I would die so something interesting would happen.

Re: Sword of Fargoal, I think you'd have to be a fan of the genre (rogue-like, e.g. Nethack, Angband, etc) to dig it. First time I played it I put it down pretty quickly after the tutorial. But I gave the game another shot this weekend, read up a little on some of the oddities you'd find in the game on their forums and started to really dig it. I'm about level 16 in the dungeon and am picking my way down slowly, carefully (I'm playing on 'heroic' which means death = game over). Things I like a lot about the game really boil down to presentation, UI/control and the little awesome tweaks that were mixed in for an updated game on a modern device using some very old (some might say tired) type of game. Different strokes for different folks. I tend to really dislike most of the 'just a little higher' Doodle Jump-type games, no matter how well they're made.

Regarding the controls, there's two ways you can move the guy around, either tap to a location and he'll attempt to get there as best he can or swipe anywhere in the direction you'd like to go (my preferred). Tapping is good way to move fast in a straight line, but I've found the accuracy/pathing a little off if you're trying to do anything complex.

You can also turn off tap to move, which is what I did because I found I'd move extra steps like has been mentioned, when I didn't intend to. Swipe to move works much better for me, in fact great, and note that you can swipe and hold to keep moving. It's works great once you understand it. I love Sword of Fargoal. Easily one of my most played games. And I still haven't gotten that damnable sword yet! :)

Great App a Day is featuring Flood-It! 2 for their free game today (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/flood-it-2/).

"From the creators of Flood-It! Comes the new and improved Flood-It! 2!

More Features! Challenges! Sound Effects! And it's still free!

Flood the whole board with one color. Wherever you go.

========================================

Cool new features:

- 3 challenge modes:
- Play against the clock
- Move around obstacles
- Finish the board with a defined color

- Cool sound effects

- Color blind color scheme

- New dimmed game design

========================================

Ridiculously addictive and fun!

Flood-It! 2 - Like Flood-It!, Only better."

If you've got World Cup fever, you may be interested in Goaaal! (http://appshopper.com/games/goaaal), currently FREE.

"Do you have what it takes to be the best penalty kicker in the league? Well then put on your cleats, grab your soccer ball, and get ready for GOAAAL!™ from Skyworks®, creators of the best quality and most fun sports games on the iPhone/iPod touch!

In GOAAAL!, you’ll use all your kicking skills to score as many shots as you can from the penalty spot against a progressively more difficult goalie opponent. As you get better at kicking, the goalie reacts faster and protects the goal more aggressively.

To kick, “flick” the ball with your finger. Fling from the side of the ball to add spin to it. Hold your finger on the ball for a second to reposition it prior to kicking, then lift your finger to return to kick mode.

In Arcade Shootout Mode, you get 10 shots to get as many goals and points as you can. In Progressive Shootout Mode, you’ll start with just 10 chances to score. With every target hit and badge earned, you’ll earn another penalty kick. Catch “on fire” by scoring on 5 shots in a row. As your skill level increases you will be rewarded with badges and bonus points. Whether you call it soccer or football, GOAAL! will quickly become your favorite kicking game!"

The light-based puzzler Slime Lumia is currently on sale for FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/slime-lumia).

"Slime Lumia is a highly addictive light based puzzle game,bounce,split and deflect the light using mirrors,splitters,filter blocks,prisms etc.Only having every piece in exactly the correct place,will filter and direct the light and solve the puzzles.

FEATURES:
- Crisp, eye-catching graphics
- Level select option,jump to any unlocked level instantly
- Progress is saved upon level completion
- Free updates"

Twilight Hero is on sale for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twilight-hoplite/id363950794?mt=8#).

"You are the last hero of Sparta, racing against time and desperately trying to survive. Guide your battle horse to avoid air and ground obstacles such as rolling boulders, floating islands, drifting temple wreckage, and Draco's deadly balls of fire.

Amid the madness, armed with only your trusty spears, you will have to hunt down vultures, Medusa's ghost, and horse grains to replenish your energy and gain coins.

This is a fun, unique fast pace game that's perfect when you have a few minutes to kill at a bus station, at work, or in a waiting line.

- Beautiful custom graphics
- Easy natural control, simply tap to jump and swipe to shoot spears.
- Fast performance.
- Realistic physics and cool particle effects.
- Global scores with OpenFeint"

NBA Live by EA Sports dropped to $0.99!!!

438520.png

** 85% OFF THE REGULAR PRICE! CELEBRATE THE NBA FINALS ** Nothing but net! Match up the Celtics and Lakers in an epic finals showdown or simulate your own dream matchup. Get the most realistic 5-on-5 action available for iPhone® & iPod touch® at an amazing low price! The clock’s ticking, so buy now! **

NOTHING BUT NET! NBA LIVE by EA SPORTS™ delivers the most realistic 5-on-5 action available for iPhone® and iPod touch®.

http://appshopper.com/games/nba-live-by-ea-sports

The Facility Two (the sequel to The Facility) has just been released for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-facility-two/id376527376?mt=8).

"Start off right where the first game ended and figure out the story behind the escaped prisoner and solve the mystery of The Facility. Though your objective remains the same, your journey will differ greatly!

Controls:
- Swipe the screen to move between rooms
- Tap on objects to interact
- Default text interaction is enabled for selecting, copying and pasting

With many additional improvements The Facility Two has some important new features that will aid you on your journey:
- Notepad for recording important information you may stumble on.
- Built in extra hints page so you can play entirely without access to the internet.
- Copy and paste from any text in the game makes it easier to remember obscure information.
- And much more...

As with the first, there still is the website with hints and a support email, just refer to the links on this iTunes page."

The crude but potentially amusing Gas Knight is FREE until Father's Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gas-knight/id366393813?mt=8#).

"The birth of an action game with simple touch on your i-phone.
Just touch anywhere on your i-phone and it flies out with the fart.

Incredible sound effect that sounds just like an actual farting
Slash all obstacles with the fart and the blade to earn points to contest with others.

Local mode lets you update your records directly with I-phone or I-pod.
Check out your global standing in Global Ranking Mode and compete with other players.

-Game Characteristics-

-Simple touch screen game easily adaptable for anyone.
-Touch anywhere on the screen to rise upward with your fart.
-Kill bats to earn points. Get close to the bat for automatic attack.
-You can earn extra points by killing the bats with the fart.
-You will receive damages if you crash into rocks on either end of the screen.
-If all armors are gone and you receive damage the game is over.
-You can earn extra points by maneuvering through the falling rocks."

The card game i7mezzo is currently FREE (standard and HD versions) http://itunes.apple.com/app/i7mezzo/id302698986?mt=8.

"After the success of iScopa, iBriscola and iTressetteX4, finally iSettemezzo, the BlackJack played the Italian way!

With iSettemezzo you can now play "Sette e mezzo" - the famous traditional Italian card game - on your iPhone, iPod Touch or IPad.
Bet, call your cards, the highest score wins. But watch out, if you exceed 7½ you loose everything!

- up to 6 players on the same device
- several virtual opponents with 6 different strategy
- 12 original Italian decks
- custom rules setting
- custom currencies
- accounting: play with your friend and use the accountings to take note of everybody score
- exchangeable backgrounds
- sounds"

[quote name='Malik112099']fucking wonderful, you cant pre-order the white ones.[/QUOTE]

This morning I haven't been able to pre-order the black one either, and believe me, I have tried. Their web server seems to be swamped. Or something. It is weird that they don't have the white iPhone available for pre-order at all, though perhaps it was an (obviously wildly unsuccessful) attempt to prevent their servers from going down.

Incidentally, it's the same story whether going through AT&T's site or Apple's (I didn't realize that you could upgrade from Apple's site, but apparently you can, not that you *actually* can right now, though.)

For all you aspiring virtual musicians out there, Airway to Heaven is currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/airway-to-heaven/id371278782?mt=8#).

"Airway To Heaven is a super simple musical game. The object is to have fun and play it in the way you like most. Show off for family and friends, play a solo at the office for your boss, wrap up a presentation at school with a quick jam for everyone. Try plugging into a home or car stereo system and put on a concert.

- CHECK OUT THE NEW RAP ATTACK INSTRUMENT SCREEN!
- AWESOME MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT!
- FUN GAME FOR FAMILY!
- CHECK OUT ALL 8 INSTRUMENT SCREENS!"

I had to give up on trying to pre-order online. Maybe I'll go the in-at&t-store route. More likely I'll just try again later tonight.

FYI, about an hour ago I was finally able to get my pre-order in for a black 32 GB iPhone 4 (an upgrade.) Yeah! I went through the Apple store, but I imagine it would work from AT&T's site as well since that was obviously the bottleneck earlier. And they are saying it will be delivered on the 24th! Nice, seeing how that's my birthday. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, about an hour ago I was finally able to get my pre-order in for a black 32 GB iPhone 4 (an upgrade.) Yeah! I went through the Apple store, but I imagine it would work from AT&T's site as well since that was obviously the bottleneck earlier. And they are saying it will be delivered on the 24th! Nice, seeing how that's my birthday. :)[/QUOTE]

They are now saying that if you placed your order in the late afternoon around 4:30 eastern time or later that you will NOT get it on the 24th... That it will be delivered between June 25th and July 5th. Read about it here.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/atandt-sold-out-of-iphone-4-for-launch-day/

Interesting... though the confirmation page clearly said it would be delivered by the 24th. No problem - I'll sue and force them to deliver it for me on the 24th. ;^)

EDIT: ah - looking at that page, that's speaking of AT&T. I bought it through Apple, so maybe they are still delivering by the 24th? One can hope....

[quote name='Owen']Just curious for those that pre-ordered the iPhone 4 from Apple.com, did you get your order confirmation emailed to you yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I received mine perhaps a half hour ago.

I put in a reservation for in-store pickup via the Apple Store app on the iphone, as the website was so destroyed today. I got a confirmation (the email said $699, but I think most likely due to AT&T's eligibility servers being hosed). My friend reserved one in-store, and was told that even with a reservation, it's still first-come, first-serve, and there may not be enough to cover all reservations.

Going to the Apple web page now, it says current orders will ship by July 2, and also says there are no in-store reservations available, though they will have some first-come, first-serve. I'll probably go in to work late that day so I can be at the Apple store at 7AM.

Free App a Day is featuring the new Toy Story 3 app all the rest of this week (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=195). I originally saw this one this morning but didn't post it because most of the functionality seems to come from premium DLC. Now that FAAD is pushing it, maybe some of that extra content will become free as well.

The highly-rated The HIVE has just dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-hive/id374258993?mt=8).

"Dive into this mysterious adventure set in a cyberpunk world!
The Internet has evolved (or devolved?) into a holographic environment that people can access through implanted brain devices.
Everyone is connected to the HIVE.
You're a young hacker who tries to make money stealing credit cards and documents for some obscure clients. Very soon you'll find proof that something is happening to the HIVE and that doesn't look very good.
Are you ready to save the world?

HIVE is an innovative arcade/puzzle game with an intriguing storyline.
There are 20 missions to complete. The goal of each mission is to break into the Main Firewall of a company or government your client asked you to steal documents from.
Before getting to the Main Firewall, many missions require you to disable additional firewalls.
For every firewall you're trying to capture, the gameplay is divided in two phases:
- Lock enough data packets coming from (or going to) the firewall. Tilt your phone to move the cross inside a packet and then type the right sequence of numbers.
- Decrypt enough words to discover the firewall's password. Tap the letters in the order shown by your computer to acquire a word.
Both phases must be completed before the HIVE detects you!"

Run! Run! Run! Or so says BloodyRush, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bloodyrush/id355460769?mt=8#).

"You run endlessly on the buildings in dark city.
There are many obstacles and monsters, but just don't be upset!
If you use suitable command in time, you can go push aside them easily.

Features
- dynamic action and cool graphic feeling!
- exciting BGM, active strike and speed feeling for maximizing Fun!
- You can avoid/destroy the obstacles by entering suitable command for them.
- If you enter the command in optimum time, crazy attact can be started!!
- You can raise your skill by using training mode."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back